Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:46   #121
Senior - BHPian

I got art leather seat covers installed immediately after delivery so my plastic covers were taken off, but...

I am surprised by the tone of some of the posts here! Some are vitriolic and some condescending. Why the hell should it bother us if the other guy leaves the covers on in his new car? He is perfectly at liberty to do as he pleases, isn't he? I mean, if one is amused, I can understand that! But I can't understand why one should "simply hate " to see the covers on in somebody else's car! Please remember our freedom stops where his nose begins! May be he just wants to prolong his "new car experience" for as long as possible.

We do see new cars driving around with a chappal hanging from the bumper to ward off the evil eye, don't we? Just have a chuckle and move on, it takes all kind of people to make this world!

Last edited by Gansan : 2nd June 2010 at 11:50.
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:00   #122
BHPian

Leaving the plastic covers on for some days, like a max. of 2 weeks is understandable because of the new car feel. But anything beyond that, when the car itself starts looking old, does not make sense.

Let's get Real. If we don't use the seat fabrics, then what do we need them for?

It is like wearing cheap rags over your new suit, cos you don't want to it to get dirty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Well, people don't remove plastic from household electronic items also (or will buy some sheets to protect their dear items).
Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
I see a lot of people doing the same with their mobiles. Draping them with all sort of covers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
It is probably the same reason why we keep the plastic cover on the TV remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
How about buying "stylish" mobile phones and then keeping it inside a dirty plastic pouch with a transparent "window"?
Cell phones/TV Remotes need covers to protect them from Dust and moisture, which can ruin them. I think this is quite normal.

Anyway, its my personal opinion. If a guy wants to cover himself and all his assets in plastic, let him do it!
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:13   #123
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd June 2010 at 16:59.
abhipuru16 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th August 2010, 15:36   #124
BHPian

I have asked the SVC guy to remove the plastic covers for the seats the moment I stepped in for taking delivery. He was looking like an alien as if I said something stupid. The sales person was smarter to ask me “Sir are you sure to remove this?” He explained that normally people have a tendency to keep the covers on as long as it lasts so that the seats won’t get dirty. I said I don’t want these plastic covers as it's not comfortable to sit and he was satisfied with that answer.

I have seen many friends who are reluctant to remove the plastic seat covers for months so no wonder that fellow doubted my intention. One of my friend’s concept is it will give more penny at the time of sale by its fresh looks without much dirt. Some are even won’t change the sofa covers to prevent the dirt.

Once I have convinced a friend of mine who had kept the plastic cover on his newly bought LCD TV which was mounted on the wall. He was not admitting that the heat vents are to be kept open as his belief of LCD is emitting less heat than CRT types.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 16:23   #125
Senior - BHPian

Plastic Covers on Seats of New Cars

I am starting this new thread specially on duration of time people keep plastic covers fixed on seats of their NEW CARS by the manufecturers.

In my case 2 years back I had purchased a second hand Maruti 800 5 speed of 2001 model it had plastic covers on its sun visers intact although looking aged, its 1st owner pointed out with pride that he kept this plastic covers intact for the last 7 years on..

It is common for taxi owners who keep these plastic covers for a quite a long time of their new vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic Covers on Seats of New Cars-saats.jpg  

Plastic Covers on Seats of New Cars-seatt.jpg  

Old 24th April 2011, 16:58   #126
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Plastic Covers on Seats of New Cars

Reading this thread and going by my personal experience, I think that this habit of keeping the OEM plastic film intact is deeply psychological and person specific. It says somethings but doesn't not prove anything.

As for me, it is ripped off immediately. In some cases in the showroom; why to fill up the home dustbin?
Old 24th April 2011, 17:17   #127
BHPian

Absolutely agree with dot. Keeping the plastic covers on is psychological. One might keep them to protect them from getting dirty but then it destroys the look of car's inside. Just remove them and show the interiors to everyone!
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 19:48   #128
Team-BHP Support

Guess it is the classic Indian mentality of covering up everything with plastic so as to protect it from kids/pets/stains/dirt and what not.

Remember the dialogue from a movie "ab to cover nikalna hi padega"!

We believe in prevention than cure; so when you can ensure your kids will not soil the seats, your pet will not tear it, the seatcovers won't ever look dirty, why take the plastic out; how does it matter what people think. Ultimately, it is them who has to pay for the new seat covers, right?!

I have seen age old M800s with the plastics still on the door panels (the A/c version had cloth on the inner side of the door; people did not take even that off).

As for my cars; plastic is off the moment we park it at home.
Old 24th April 2011, 19:59   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI;2325259

In my case 2 years back I had purchased a second hand Maruti 800 5 speed of 2001 model it had plastic covers on its sun visers intact although looking aged, its 1st owner pointed out with pride that [B
he kept this plastic covers intact for the last 7 years on[/b]..
7 years? now thats a feat! I couldn't bear the discomfort and the noise it created while driving my dad's ANHC home from the showroom upon delivery! But I have to agree that I still haven't removed the small transparent sticker on the Hazard lamp switch even after a year and a half! Keeps giving me a new car feeling you see

Last edited by 333 : 24th April 2011 at 20:00. Reason: Typographical error.
Old 24th April 2011, 22:15   #130
Senior - BHPian

Just like the starter of this thread, I too had my car completely removed of all signs that it is new. I insisted that it should have a proper number plate, no ribbons, plastic covers removed, and absolutely no religious objects on it.
Old 24th April 2011, 22:39   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
I am starting this new thread specially on duration of time people keep plastic covers fixed on seats of their NEW CARS by the manufecturers.

In my case 2 years back I had purchased a second hand Maruti 800 5 speed of 2001 model it had plastic covers on its sun visers intact although looking aged, its 1st owner pointed out with pride that he kept this plastic covers intact for the last 7 years on..

It is common for taxi owners who keep these plastic covers for a quite a long time of their new vehicles.
Yes this is my car and photo taken today after 1 month of delivery, and I promise to remove them next month positively yaar. exept the visors .
Old 24th April 2011, 22:44   #132
BANNED

plastic cover is big no no, since it will be uncomfortable, while driving, and for passengers, and produce heat since there is no air vent, make noise and slippery.There will be no point in getting an car while driving without basic comfort with plastic covers. It will also look odd.
Old 24th April 2011, 23:21   #133
BHPian

With this thread ,I recalled once incident where one of friend bought a Hyundai Santro in Dec. 2008. After 6 months , I saw plastic covers on his seats and asked him why don't you remove them, as they may not be comfortable while driving. His reply was that he has to take permission from his parents to do so (guy had bought car on his own and is in early 30's ). I was shocked on his reply ,but it was his decision. Now its replaced as he had gone for Seat Covers and luckily plastic was not put on top that. :-)
Old 25th April 2011, 10:20   #134
BHPian

I think its more of a desire to keep the thing looking like new though, the dust gathered between the plastic and the surface is not taken into consideration. I have seen that people rarely take plastics off of their refrigerators, Microwaves, even TV and LCD where the sticker might be covering a part of the screen. Same goes for the laptops with people keeping the plastic on the lid/ Screen back. The ribbon on the bonnet is the worst case I believe as it rubs the dust on the bonnet and leaves permanent mark within a month or so.
Plastics are removed from other items rarely as they are less visible, like the visor and the protection film on Stereo displays. I saw one guy that still had plastics on on the steering stalks.
The only thing I have yet to see is lamination of the whole car paint surface and I think that its not far off, all it needs is an entrepreneur mind and there will be plenty of takers.

@KA18, some people do wear cheap rags over their office going clothes on two wheelers to protect the clothes from dust.

Last edited by gharika : 25th April 2011 at 10:25.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:50   #135
BHPian

I have two colleagues who bought two fiesta! In both seat covers are still not removed. One car is almost 9 month old and another two! The two month old car hasn't taken out ribbons also! I have to see if after first service ribbons still says or not! People have perception to keep their things new. I remember 11 years ago when I bought a bike, the SE recommended to put petrol tank covers for bike, as sun rays will fade the factory paint!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks