Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2024, 17:27   #5731

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I have a Kia Carens which is yet to complete a year. And for which the insurance is expiring on August 30th. I have already got a quotes from a few companies for renewal. Now as luck would have it, I met with a minor accident yesterday and I have some damage to the right headlamp and a part of the bumper has come out. Attached the pics here. Now if I renew my insurance with a different provider before submitting a claim, can I still ensure I get the NCB? And then go ahead with claiming the insurance?
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-whatsapp-image-20240812-17.24.46_027da1ed.jpg  

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-whatsapp-image-20240812-17.24.46_f400164e.jpg  

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-whatsapp-image-20240812-17.24.45_3936f6bb.jpg  

Old 12th August 2024, 17:56   #5732
BHPian

I'd suggest that you hold from renewing your insurance now. 30th Aug is still far and one does not need so many days for renewing insurance these days. Submit your claim with current insurance and get the repair done first.

You are surely going to lose out NCB unless you decide to pay from pocket. But if it's mere first year NCB then I would say let go and claim insurance.

In meantime get your quotes for renewal considering one claim in existing policy. Renew it only when entire claim process is done.
Rodie09 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 17:57   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb8949 View Post
I have a Kia Carens which is yet to complete a year. And for which the insurance is expiring on August 30th. I have already got a quotes from a few companies for renewal. Now as luck would have it, I met with a minor accident yesterday and I have some damage to the right headlamp and a part of the bumper has come out. Attached the pics here. Now if I renew my insurance with a different provider before submitting a claim, can I still ensure I get the NCB? And then go ahead with claiming the insurance?
Since the incident has happened before the Insurance renewal, ethically you should raise a claim with existing Insurance co and then during the renewal mention the NCB to be zero.

Alternatively you can go ahead with the renewal of the Insurance co and get the repairs done from your own pocket. NCB applicable will be applied during the renewal.

You can try your luck by raising a claim after renewal of the Insurance but subject to Insurance co verification of the claim. There could be chances that the claims might be rejected on the grounds of not raising a claim within a stipulated time frame of the incident. This needs to be checked with new Insurance co.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 02:35   #5734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
I'd suggest that you hold from renewing your insurance now. 30th Aug is still far and one does not need so many days for renewing insurance these days. Submit your claim with current insurance and get the repair done first.

You are surely going to lose out NCB unless you decide to pay from pocket. But if it's mere first year NCB then I would say let go and claim insurance.

In meantime get your quotes for renewal considering one claim in existing policy. Renew it only when entire claim process is done.
Your post has been reported. Do not misuse. You had damage, and yet to avoid an additional payment you were asking "how can I go about it?" - I have seen both sides. I work at an Insurance company and I am auto fanboy. It breaks my heart to see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Since the incident has happened before the Insurance renewal, ethically you should raise a claim with existing Insurance co and then during the renewal mention the NCB to be zero.
Sorry, this is contractually and factually wrong.

Every Insurance contract clearly specificize that you must notify the insurer of a loss immediately or within a reason amount of time.

@Mods - Please, here's a request from me.

This is not a glory hunt, and neither is it a chase to win something. My only reason for this request is there's a lot of misinformation going around.

Here's my request to the users:
1. Please do not try to game the system (i.e. the insurance claim,this makes insurance more expensive for all of us)
2. The insurers have far more lawyers than we will ever have
3. Play by the rules

Remember, most claims are denied or ruled out because insureds did not either know the rules or play by them.

Let's start here on a positive note, @Team BHP maybe we can launch an Insurance quiz for our members. It might be a good start for everyone to know and learn

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2024 at 05:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged
BeMyWings is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 06:12   #5735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post
Your post has been reported. Do not misuse. You had damage, and yet to avoid an additional payment you were asking "how can I go about it?" - I have seen both sides. I work at an Insurance company and I am auto fanboy. It breaks my heart to see this.
Quote:
Sorry, this is contractually and factually wrong.

Every Insurance contract clearly specificize that you must notify the insurer of a loss immediately or within a reason amount of time.
I dont get it. Both gents you quoted are saying that OP should raise the claim with current insurer. How is that wrong or worthy of reporting?
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 06:47   #5736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb8949 View Post
Check if you have NCB protector add-on in your current policy. If yes, your NCB stays intact. Otherwise the only way to protect NCB is to renew with an insurer that offers NCB protector add-on and no pre-inspection, and claim insurance next month. You will have to drive around with the damaged car for at least a month to be on the safer side. Some surveyors are smart enough to differentiate between existing and fresh damage, so there are 50-50 chances of the claim going through.

The ethically correct and foolproof way has been already explained in the last few posts. Submitting claim before or after renewal doesn't matter, as the new policy becomes invalid if declared NCB is found to be incorrect. You have to disclose claim status to the new insurer within the set timeframe and pay up additional premium.

It's also worth exploring the third option of paying out of pocket. The damage does not look severe in the photos. Take an estimate from Kia before you decide to involve insurance.

Last edited by self_driven : 13th August 2024 at 06:53.
Old 13th August 2024, 07:30   #5737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Your post has been reported. Do not misuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I dont get it. Both gents you quoted are saying that OP should raise the claim with current insurer.
Even I didn’t get that, same observation as Mayankk.

@Bemywings: Did you mean to report the OP’s post who is seeking this solution in the first place? Unless I have not understood something, Rodie’s post to me was suggesting the correct course of action, including assuming one claim for the renewal. Same with Ghodlur’s response for most part.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 10:26   #5738
BHPian

My apologies for the mix up, I read it incorrectly. Please accept my apology and delete my post. Sorry for the mix up, no harm intended
Old 14th August 2024, 18:02   #5739
BHPian

Is the NCB certificate only time bound (3 years validity) or is it also single use only?

In this specific case, I have an NCB certificate from a vehicle that I sold.

I have have booked a new car and also have a few other vehicles all registered in my name. Can I use my NCB certificate on all of these vehicles when I buy/renew my policy the next time? Or is it valid only for a single vehicle?

The other vehicles already have 50% NCB so it would be pointless to use the certificate on these vehicles in reality, but, I am left wondering as to what the laws spell out.

I have often heard the quote "NCB is for the owner-driver and not the vehicle". In this case, as the registered owner of all the vehicles, shouldn't I be able to claim this bonus legally?

Thank you
Old 14th August 2024, 23:22   #5740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman_tales View Post
I recently renewed the insurance for my 1 year old Altroz DCT. At 8.2L IDV (10% lower than last year), I got a high total 14k premium (excluding 3rd party) with almost all add-ons. Surprised to see 5-10% deductible on engine protection also which is huge. For next time, which of these is unnecessary and can be skipped ?
I also saw the 5%/10% deductible for engine protect with Tata AIG. Can folks here check and confirm if other insurers also have this or is it just tata AIG?
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-screenshot-20240814-11.22.058239pm.png  

Old 15th August 2024, 02:16   #5741
BHPian

A word of caution for new EV buyers, please read terms and conditions very carefully before purchasing the policy. For most Auto insurance companies, this is an unknown risk, even more so in India.

Please take the time to read what the Manufacturer's warranty covers, what insurance covers, what extended warranty covers and most important - what it does not cover

If you need help interpreting coverage language, feel free to ask here or drop me a message as well with a link to the thread. We can get it clarified.

I hope you never need it, but insurance is tricky because nothing is certain. Hence best to pay for what you need and protect yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike_1612 View Post
Is the NCB certificate only time bound (3 years validity) or is it also single use only?
An NCB certificate is used to price the possibility of damage to your car (Collision and Comprehensive coverage). Hence it is tied to the driver (or owner) of the car. Insurers might give you credit for it, or they might not because the variables in this situation for Underwriting are numerous, i.e. the owner is the same, but the car make and model is different, the cost of claim is different, they might have to replace vs repair a part (especially for EVs), etc. Hence this isn't a one size fits all.

If you believe you should get the NCB, best to speak to the insurance company.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2024 at 05:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 15th August 2024, 14:10   #5742
BHPian

Quote:
If you believe you should get the NCB, best to speak to the insurance company.
Thank you for the detailed information. Didn't realise it was at the whim of the insurer to accept an NCB certificate.

Spoke with an Acko representative and according to them, NCB certificate is only valid for 1 vehicle or for 3 years, whichever comes earlier.
Old 15th August 2024, 14:10   #5743
Senior - BHPian

I renewed my vehicle insurance last year from Future Generali but I didn't save the pdf copy. When I login to their website I can't find my policy. I see the policy number on the VAHAN website against my vehicle - but not the full pdf copy.

I've sent a mail to FG for a copy, but is there any central registry from where I can download it ?
Old 15th August 2024, 20:38   #5744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike_1612 View Post
Thank you for the detailed information. Didn't realise it was at the whim of the insurer to accept an NCB certificate.
No claim bonuses are what are called "discounts" offered by insurers for customers that present a lower risk. From 20% to 50% - (what follows is my assumption, hence please don't quote me elsewhere)

Digital-first insurers such as Acko might be on the stricter side of this spectrum because their pricing is already very competitive and so are their underwriting rules. This in turn tends to limit how much you can leverage such discounts when compared to a traditional insurer.

I would suggest that you check competing quotes from other insurers because from what I have read on Acko's terms and conditions, it has rules such as "You must call Acko when you have an accident, and you must repair at an Acko authorized facility otherwise a compulsory deductible applies, etc.." These aren't bad or with mal intent but its best to be aware about these aspects.

As a practice, most insurers offer similar NCBs to compete, but these aren't necessarily always the same.

@sdp1975 - Personally, I'm not aware of any central repository for insurance policy documents. What I would suggest it look through your emails, because as a practice, all insurers will email a soft copy to you when you renew.
BeMyWings is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2024, 18:42   #5745
BHPian

Last year when I bought Hyundai Creta, the Dealer though charged a higher Premium, gave an overall better price and I took the Insurance 1 year own damage 3 years 3rd party. It was SBI General Insurance sold by Hyundai as Broker. This year, for renewal their offer was ridiculously high and I chose different insurer. Just for record in my 30 years mostly in Bangalore with many cars (mostly Hyundai) due to God's grace never had to use insurance claim. I hope it continues. Today the Dealer's insurance person called and was rather rude and told me that Insurer I had chosen to go with is not authorized by Hyundai! I didn't lose my cool. Should I be concerned? Can Hyundai refuse ... in case I need any repair? Of it is just plain bluster by that Sales/insurance person? Any advice is most appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks