Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2023, 21:30   #5371
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntOOs View Post
Hi Folks,

I have a query regarding a partner/spouse driving a car registered in a company name.

The scenario is, I have a car registered in the name of the LLP in which I am a partner. I am the primary driver but my wife also sometimes drives the car.

My question is whether there will be any issues with insurance claims if an accident happens when she is driving? Should I take any steps like adding her as a named driver in the policy?

Thanks!
Nothing negative will happen, as long as she has a valid DL

However, it's a good practice to get her name as secondary driver. If she looks to go for a car on her own latter, chances are there to get an NCB letter for her (at least abroad this happens)

All the Best
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 17:12   #5372
BHPian

We have a Maruti 800 that is comprehensively insured with Tata AIG with a 50% NCB. The policy is due for renewal on 15 March 2023.

We wish to sell the car and contacted Cars24 who have given us an offer that we believe reflect the current value of the car.

However, we are in a quandary. Whilst Cars24 will pay us immediately for the car and take delivery of the same, the car will continue to remain in my name till a buyer is found. According to Cars24, this process can take 90 to 120 days.

During this time, am I correct that primary liability will remain with me? More importantly, will Tata AIG issue the NCB certificate based on just the delivery note, once the car is sold?

Will welcome feedback from anyone who has sold a vehicle to/through Cars24. Or is aware of the rules of the insurance company.
Old 19th February 2023, 11:18   #5373
BHPian

My car's insurance is due for renewal. While searching quotes online, i came across "Usage based Insurance" . How does this works? My average running is around 7000 kms a year.
Old 19th February 2023, 14:26   #5374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
We have a Maruti 800 that is comprehensively insured with Tata AIG with a 50% NCB. The policy is due for renewal on 15 March 2023.

We wish to sell the car and contacted Cars24 who have given us an offer that we believe reflect the current value of the car.

However, we are in a quandary. Whilst Cars24 will pay us immediately for the car and take delivery of the same, the car will continue to remain in my name till a buyer is found. According to Cars24, this process can take 90 to 120 days.

During this time, am I correct that primary liability will remain with me? More importantly, will Tata AIG issue the NCB certificate based on just the delivery note, once the car is sold?

Will welcome feedback from anyone who has sold a vehicle to/through Cars24. Or is aware of the rules of the insurance company.
I did not have any luck with similar situation with Bajaj Allianz who kept insisting that I share the updated RC copy with new buyer name. They didn't consider my request to provide NCB just based on delivery note. I kept following up on emails but finally gave up as I did not have time to visit their office personally. Not sure if it would have made a difference though.

In your case, it is better to contact Tata AiG and enquire if they are ok with delivery note.

From what I have read and heard, it is a mixed feedback about NCB Letter based on delivery note. I know of a case in my circle where a trusted agent was able to get NCB Letter without even selling the car (it was some govt insurance company) and the owner was able to use the letter for new car purchase. If you know of a reliable agent, see if you want to explore that option.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 19th February 2023 at 14:44.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 14:36   #5375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponbaarathi View Post
My car's insurance is due for renewal. While searching quotes online, i came across "Usage based Insurance" . How does this works? My average running is around 7000 kms a year.
Which insurance company is this? Please read all TnC about this scheme. Just came acroos an news article on TBHP about a case where claim was denied as the owner was unable to provide Google time line from his phone and surveyer rejected the claim saying location not verified. Some folks pointed out that it was due to TnC in the usage based policy. So please do your research.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 19th February 2023 at 14:42.
Old 19th February 2023, 14:37   #5376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponbaarathi View Post
I took such a usage-based cover (15k kms) from Digit last year. They noted my car's odometer reading and offered some upfront discount on own damage premium. Now my car's own damage coverage is valid for the next 15k kms after which I can pay additional premium to extend own damage cover.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 12:49   #5377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I did not have any luck with similar situation with Bajaj Allianz who kept insisting that I share the updated RC copy with new buyer name. ...............
I too have received similar feedback. If not the RC copy in the new buyer's name, at least a TP Motor Policy covering the vehicle.

Quote:
In your case, it is better to contact Tata AiG and enquire if they are ok with delivery note.
Will write but without much expectation.

Quote:
From what I have read and heard, .................where a trusted agent was able to get NCB Letter ..........use the letter for new car purchase. If you know of a reliable agent, see if you want to explore that option.
Since there is no agent involved, it is not an option. And even if there was an agent, it is unlikely to work with the private companies.
Old 26th February 2023, 09:43   #5378
Senior - BHPian

Claim rejected due to a Challan

A friend has a preowned Ford Aspire Diesel which he bought to get his hands set on driving before he goes for a new car. We got a Zero Dep Insurance from Chola. There was 1 minor accident and we claimed for the same. Now again the RHS door and Quarter Panel has been damaged by a Bus. This was in November and due to professional commitments (Doctor) he could not initiate a claim.

Last week we took the car to a Ford ASS and initiated a claim. It got rejected as they checked a Challan which is dated 20th Dec where the damage is clearly visible in the picture.

I need help:

1.If an insurance claim can be raised anytime? Is there a period within which we need to raise it? (The SA at Ford said it is 7 days within the event)

2. How many times can one claim for insurance with zero dep?
Old 26th February 2023, 10:35   #5379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Ill share my experience. I had a Skoda Rapid Diesel insured with Acko, which I sold to Spinny. Spinny executed a sale agreement between me and Spinny, wherein Spinny takes responsibility for any challans or damages starting the date of delivery to them till the vehicle is actually sold and transfer of RC is done to the new Buyer. One of the conditions is that I will not initiate a cancellation of the insurance policy of my old car, which expires in mid April.

My car had 50% NCB. When I contacted Acko, informing I don't want to cancel the Skoda Rapid policy but want to get an NCB letter, they asked to share with them the signed sale agreement between me and Spinny (which is equivalent to a delivery note).

Acko asked me to pay them the NCB benefit in the existing policy, which was around 830rs. After I made the payment, they cancelled the NCB on my old policy without cancelling the policy itself and issued an NCB letter in my name which is valid for 3 months post expiry of the Rapid policy (mid April) or if I buy a new car, I can transfer this NCB to the new car (NCB certificate valid for 3 years)

I have booked my new car and handed over the NCB certificate to the dealer. Got the premium down from 29k to 21k. In my case, the service from Acko was exemplary and very prompt in giving the solution and issuing the certificate. I understand if it is a PSU insurance company they make hell for you, while large pvt insurance companies wouldn't care less since you are taking their business elsewhere. I hope you have a better experience with Tata AIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Claim rejected due to a Challan

A friend has a preowned Ford Aspire Diesel

1.If an insurance claim can be raised anytime? Is there a period within which we need to raise it? (The SA at Ford said it is 7 days within the event)

2. How many times can one claim for insurance with zero dep?
1. Claim is to be raised within the period stipulated in the insurance policy. If the insurance company has mentioned as 7 days, that would be the rule for your friend.
2. Again this would be mentioned in the policy. In new cars, I have observed it is two or multiple times, but for older cars, it is usually one time.

Last edited by hrman : 26th February 2023 at 10:42.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 22:37   #5380
BHPian

I own a car registered in the name of my sister who does not live in India and she does not have Aadhar card.
Car is registered in her married name but all her kyc documents like passport, driving license and PAN are in her maiden name.
Due to new rules of KYC, we are not able to get insurance done for the car and present insurance expires on 3rd March.
Any solutions?
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:34   #5381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I own a car registered in the name of my sister who does not live in India and she does not have Aadhar card.
Car is registered in her married name but all her kyc documents like passport, driving license and PAN are in her maiden name.
Due to new rules of KYC, we are not able to get insurance done for the car and present insurance expires on 3rd March.
Any solutions?
What a tangle.

Better to ask with existing Insurance co for solution. If they allow the insurance renewal for another year better for you. I am thinking if the maiden name document with marriage certificate will work for renewing the car insurance, good to check.
Old 4th March 2023, 15:26   #5382
BHPian

Hi All,

My car is on company lease which ends this May and the car will be transferred to my name. I would like to know if there is anyway for me to retain the NCB post name transfer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th March 2023, 16:52   #5383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Hi All,

My car is on company lease which ends this May and the car will be transferred to my name. I would like to know if there is anyway for me to retain the NCB post name transfer.

Thanks in advance.
No, NCB can't be transferred.
Old 5th March 2023, 17:42   #5384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
While this is technically not possible, I remember I had a company leased car 12-13 years back which was insured with New India Assurance. My Ex employer's insurance team was able to also get NIA to issue an NCB in my name. This was based on the fact that the lease agreement was tri-party i.e. Company, Lessor and my name, and I was the user of the vehicle. Not sure how they managed that (possibly goodwill due to many dealings with my then organisation) , but I think rules are stricter now and not seen of an instance of this happening.

Last edited by hrman : 5th March 2023 at 17:47.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 13:42   #5385
BHPian

Quote:
No, NCB can't be transferred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
.. but I think rules are stricter now and not seen of an instance of this happening.
Thank you for the responses. I just checked with HDFC Ergo and Acko as my insurance is up for renewal just before name change and I wanted to decide on the company based on this response. Both confirmed in writing that a NOC from my employer will be enough to transfer existing NCB to my name.
pacman2881 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks