Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2024, 02:47   #1
BHPian

Dent repair from local shops and its impact on future insurance claims

I have a dent/scrape on the center of the door (metal panel) of my car that I wish to get repaired. The damage is cosmetic, and doesnt involve any parts involved in structural strength/support.

Going by my past experience the authorized service center here takes forever to get the job done (upwards of 1 week).

Since the damage is just cosmetic, I am considering local shops for fixing the dent since they can usually provide much faster turnaround times - and the cost involved is most probably not going to be much more than the insurance claim registration fee.

My question is:
Quote:
If I get a metal door panel dent-repaired by a local shop now - will the insurance company cause any headaches in the future if I have to make a different claim that also involved this panel?

(I tried a search on the forum, but couldn't find an example specific to this situation - hence this thread).
Old 8th July 2024, 09:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Dent repair from local shops and its impact on future insurance claims

Since the damage is just cosmetic, I am considering local shops for fixing the dent since they can usually provide much faster turnaround times - and the cost involved is most probably not going to be much more than the insurance claim registration fee.

It's quite a common practise to get minor fixes to be done by 3rd party and insurance claim wouldn't be an issue as they wouldn't know about it unless the SC centre knows it was done outside.

My S-cross had various minor fixes done from 3rd party and later had to make a major claim considering the amount it would cost to fix. the whole claim process with Lombard was smooth.
Gotham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 09:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
My question is:
If I get a metal door panel dent-repaired by a local shop now - will the insurance company cause any headaches in the future if I have to make a different claim that also involved this panel?
No it will not cause any headache in future and you NCB is also maintained. So before any repair just compare the cost of processing fees plus the NCB loss in the next insurance renewal with the cost of repair before making a claim.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 16:09   #4

The insurer may object to any future repairs under the same insurance for that particular panel only if the damage that is being repaired is consequential to the repair from unauthorised garages. Otherwise, it is not and should not be their headache.
Old 8th July 2024, 21:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cry0gen View Post
The insurer may object to any future repairs under the same insurance for that particular panel only if the damage that is being repaired is consequential to the repair from unauthorised garages. Otherwise, it is not and should not be their headache.
If a future accident occurs that affects this panel, what may be claimed to be consequential wrt to a past dent repair?

I'm just trying to think of possibilities...
Old 9th July 2024, 14:36   #6

Nothing can be claimed to be consequential in such cases. A subsequent accident damaging the repaired panel has nothing to do with its previous repair or how it was done. In fact, it is not the insurers concern how you prefer to upkeep your car. It will be a concern for them if and only if a situation arises where they have to pay for some damage and the damage is a consequence of your upkeep. Otherwise, nothing in the world can stop them from paying.
Cry0gen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 16:34   #7

You can get all the repairs done from 3rd party agents without worry. Just ensure that there are no visible damages/marks which will reflect during inspection for vehicle insurance renewal. If observed then the same will be mentioned and might cause minor/major depreciation during claim. Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks