Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2024, 04:07   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Insurance for vehicles with old registration numbers online (eg. BLB) - "Sorry, invalid regn no."

I have been trying to get the insurance renewed for my 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 - but I am not able to do it from any of the insurance portals (Acko, Digit, Policy Bazaar). I am not able to do it through individual bank sites too (HDFC Ergo, Icici Lombard, Tata AIG, Ifcco Tokio).

The issue with all of these insurers is that they seem to have hard coded the registration numbers as per the computerized series that were introduced in the late 90s. So the only recognisable format for a MH registered is MH-##-&-####. If you try to enter an older series like a BMC or MAJ or BYZ, it gives an "Invalid Registration Number" error.

The second issue is that if the maximum age of the vehicle goes upto 1999. So if your vehicle is older than 1999, you don't have an option to select the year.

How does one proceed with renewing insurance in such a case?
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 06:03   #2
BHPian

re: Insurance for vehicles with old registration numbers (eg. BLB) - "Sorry, your regn no. is invalid"

Hi V12,
Even i am searching for the same solution, as i need to remove insurance for my Yamaha RX 135 (Year 2000), but could not find anything online.

I am not in india currently, hence unable to find out and will follow this thread for any leads or updates.

Thanks for posting this topic.
daredemon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 07:30   #3
BHPian

re: Insurance for vehicles with old registration numbers (eg. BLB) - "Sorry, your regn no. is invalid"

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I am not able to do it from any of the insurance portals (Acko, Digit, Policy Bazaar). I am not able to do it through individual bank sites too (HDFC Ergo, Icici Lombard, Tata AIG, Ifcco Tokio).
Why don't you visit the office of a reputed old-gen insurance company and get it done physically? My uncle's KRK Bullet has upto date insurance, so do all of my Ambassador friends who have similar registration numbers.

I prefer those companies when it comes to insurance than these new-gen online guys any given day.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 18th April 2024 at 07:31.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 07:57   #4
BHPian

This is always a problem for old vehicles with XXX NNNN format registration numbers. We used to take policies from Oriental Insurance for our 118NE and Bajaj Super. You need to visit them in person.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 11:03   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Insurance for vehicles with old registration numbers online (eg. BLB) - "Sorry, invalid regn no.

V12, what you need is to get hold of a competent insurance agent. I get my work done through BHPian F50 - please ping him and he'll handle it for you.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 11:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Insurance for vehicles with old registration numbers online (eg. BLB) - "Sorry, invalid regn no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I have been trying to get the insurance renewed for my 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100
Only option is a visit to the good old Desk & Chair office down a old school alley. All the old school insurance companies like Oriental, New India, National Insurance (PSU) can help you out. Make sure you have all the necessary documents upto date.

RC Book/Card
Old insurance cert (if possible)
Green Tax (if applicable)
FC Must
PUC (not needed, just in case)

Ensure the vehicle is in a presentable and decent condition, no need to restore/repaint and go all out, just the basic light/horn/tyres/brake condition and preferable start and move around before the surveyor. Ensure the Number plate is as clean and big as the BEST buses, lol.

They cannot deny offering you insurance, worst case you need to walkin to the branch manager with a smile and talk personally.

Post here once it is done

Last edited by svsantosh : 18th April 2024 at 11:24.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed