Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2024, 18:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Whither 2-wheeler lifetime, third party insurance | I filed a Consumer Forum complaint today!

The topic is on the insurer National Insurance Co Ltd a PSU, regarding their lifetime third party insurance policies for two wheelers issued during 1994 and 1995 for my two, 2 wheelers.

-These were priced at 8-10 times higher than the then prevailing two wheeler, third party yearly premiums.

- The lifetime insurance policy provided insurance till the cancellation of registration of the respective two wheeler. This can be found written on the red encircled portions in the two insurance documents attached below.

Whither 2-wheeler lifetime, third party insurance | I filed a Consumer Forum complaint today!-c1-lifetime-yamaha-rx-100-ins-3rd-party.jpg

Whither 2-wheeler lifetime, third party insurance | I filed a Consumer Forum complaint today!-c2-lifetime-tvs-50-ins-3rd-party-insurance.jpg

- Both my two wheelers have valid registrations as on date so there is no question about "cancellation of registration", whatsoever at this juncture.

- While renewing the registrations (fitness tests) during March and September 2022, the insurance policies had to be uploaded on the VAHAN portal citing their policy numbers.

- The VAHAN portal refused to register both the 1994 and 1995, lifetime third party insurance policies due to incompatibility.

- During all the past fitness tests till 2017, hard copies were submitted to the respective RTO office and accepted as valid, third party insurance policies.

- Come compulsory uploading of all vehicle documents including insurance policy on the VAHAN portal, the incompatibility and glitch was perceptible.

-I immediately contacted the National Insurance branch from where these policies were issued in 1994 and 1995.

-They did not have any records but verbally told me that both these lifetime third party insurance policies stand "cancelled".

- Not to be outdone, I lodged RTI queries regarding the validity of both the policies, wherein the reply said "records are not available at our office." Their First Appellate Authority too upheld this decision. I put a Second Appeal with the Chief Information Commissioner (CIC), New Delhi, after receiving such nebulous replies. It was heard by the CIC's office and decided on 30.08.23. The Dy CIC heard it and asked the insurer to file a reply. The insurer in their response dated 18.09.2023 gave the same old explanations citing their inability to comply with the CIC directive.

Whither 2-wheeler lifetime, third party insurance | I filed a Consumer Forum complaint today!-c4-reply-nat-ins.jpg

Whither 2-wheeler lifetime, third party insurance | I filed a Consumer Forum complaint today!-c15second-appeal-reply-respondent.jpg

- I issued the insurer a legal notice to comply with the condition as stipulated in their insurance policy documents for both two wheelers by validating the policies and by issuing fresh, lifetime, VAHAN compatible policies or face a civil suit at the District Consumer Forum. They maintained a deafening silence.

- Insurance is a contract between two parties under the Section 10, under Chapter II of Indian Contracts Act, 1872, and cannot be rescinded or annulled under any circumstances unilaterally by either party. Such breach is liable to attract compensation under provisions of Section 73 (Chapter VI) of the Indian Contracts Act,1872, for loss or damage caused by such breach of contract.

-Today I have filed the complaint against National Insurance Co Ltd, as a civil suit at the District Consumer Forum, seeking the Hon'ble Court's intervention with directions for remedies.

As and when the hearings progress, I shall post updates here.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (112) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 07:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Whither 2-wheeler lifetime, third party insurance | I filed a Consumer Forum complaint today!

I applaud you for your efforts, and I see that the insurer is blatantly denying any responsibility on account of records unavailable. You have all the proof necessary and should get justice. Hopefully, the Consumer Forum will take appropriate action and provide suitable remedies.
bijims is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 07:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Whither 2-wheeler lifetime, third party insurance | I filed a Consumer Forum complaint today!

Companies get away with the fact that only few take the efforts of getting into a long legal tussle. It’s really good to see people like you stepping up and voicing the concern and forcing the companies to comply to the right thing.

The best bet for the company would be to issue regular third party insurance for your bikes, till you sell it or not re-register it.
dhanushs is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 19:11   #4
BHPian

They messed up, the policy should not have been subjected to "cancellation of registration" rather it should have been "Lifetime" of the vehicle, which is defined clearly as 15 years.
I am guessing the insurer meant 15 years while issuing the policy and destroyed documents after that time duration was completed. The case you filled can go any side and depends largely upon judge presiding.
In the end, Insurer is at fault, either be not honoring the policy or false advertisement.
Ltinsane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 20:39   #5
BHPian

hats off to your perseverance. getting fresh insurance would have been cheaper, at least somebody fights for principle these days.
adrift@life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 21:22   #6
BHPian

During the restoration and renewal of registration of our 1966 Jawa 250 earlier last year, even I noticed that our insurance from New India Assurance Ltd. stated that it was lifetime insurance. As we went through an agent for the same FC process, there were no hassles faced(considering that we paid 7k!) and the RC somehow clearly says that the vehicle is exempted from insurance. After reading your post, it seems like we need to give a call to the insurance company and ask if the policy is still valid. Don't know what difficulties that we will face during next renewal. I don't have the picture of the insurance copy currently but will definitely upload when I find it.
CzechItaliaMoto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 23:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the original insurance document and registration certificate, National Insurance company should have simply 'renewed' the contract (as in, do whatever needed to create a new digital version) as a goodwill gesture towards the customer for maintaining the original documents (and the company failing to do so). Not sure why companies can't see how it will help them get new or retain old customers with such gestures.

Best of luck Sir with this. Hoping for a positive outcome.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 16:10   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

An update on the issue is that the Nagpur District Consumers Forum today heard my complaint regarding the "invalidated" two third party lifetime insurance policies for my two, 2-wheelers.

Upon briefing the bench about the misrepresentation by the insurer, that is also a PSU (should lead by example) the Forum has admitted my complaint for further hearing and has directed issue of notices to the three erring Respondents from National Insurance Co Ltd.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks