Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2022, 11:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Data Leak : Car Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I had done a study of Insurance Aggregators in India, back in 2018, on the job. One thing that I starkly remember is that IRDA allows (or requires) the aggregators to share the customer leads data back to participating insurance companies on the aggregator's platform. The insurance companies are probably free to further share the customer leads with their licensed agents.
Now, this is the case with customer data sharing by insurance web aggregators. If we look carefully and widely enough, there's probably other modes of IRDA sanctioned customer data sharing as well.
IRDAI actually has very strict data protection requirements.

1. The aggregators can share customer data only with that insurance company for which the customer has expressed interest on their website.
2. Insurance companies can share customer data with their licensed agents, but again, only if the customer had expressed interest in the insurance company to begin with.
3. If you are an existing customer of an insurance company, your data cannot be shared with any other insurer for any reason. Data leakage mostly happens at the level of junior employees for a small amount of money (a few Rs per customer in most cases). As is the case in India, problem is not the law, but adherence to it.

I would strongly encourage everyone to download the DND application from TRAI and complaint against all such numbers. It is a very simple process. Even if 1% of complaints lead to genuine action, it can be effective if everyone files a complaint.
Quoter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 11:28   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoter View Post
IRDAI actually has very strict data protection requirements.

1. The aggregators can share customer data only with that insurance company for which the customer has expressed interest on their website.
2. Insurance companies can share customer data with their licensed agents, but again, only if the customer had expressed interest in the insurance company to begin with.
3. If you are an existing customer of an insurance company, your data cannot be shared with any other insurer for any reason. Data leakage mostly happens at the level of junior employees for a small amount of money (a few Rs per customer in most cases). As is the case in India, problem is not the law, but adherence to it.

I would strongly encourage everyone to download the DND application from TRAI and complaint against all such numbers. It is a very simple process. Even if 1% of complaints lead to genuine action, it can be effective if everyone files a complaint.
Thank you for the information, but I guess the first point is the major reason for the calls and data leak, even if we check out or compare our insurance premium online, they will get our details are start calling us.

Anyways, glad to know there is a DND application and complaints are taken action against.
Old 24th July 2022, 11:50   #18
Team-BHP Support

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-due-more.html (Annoying calls from dealers for insurance renewals, service due & more)

We had a small discussion about this and not much has changed, for the worse, sadly :(.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 15:16   #19
BHPian

For my skoda Kushaq, i was getting lot of calls and WhatsApp from insurance agent for renewal, i asked few of them how they got my number, they said "sir RTO shared with us" and i was like "what the f***"
Old 24th July 2022, 18:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post

Any solution or blocking is the only option ?
Try Doosra! This is an app (Android / iOS) with subscription that provides you an usable number (No SIM but only via app). You could give this number on shopping sites / malls / any other place where you can expect to be spammed. I was spanned 2 yrs ago when I was hunting to renew my car license and entered my number on one of the insurance aggregator sites. The following year I discovered this service and from then on I’ve had my peace of mind as these pesky calls / messages get diverted to Spam folder. No ringing no messages and I could conduct my comparison of various quotes in total peace!

Hope this helps

Note : I’m not associated with Doosra in any way.
cdrajeevkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 20:07   #21

[quote=chaitanyakrish;5362037]Hello All,

Am sure you have heard that the future belongs to data & every company is wanting to get valuable data but the way we do it in India is just crazy.

Data privacy in India is a myth. Hence you getting calls just before your renewal date is expected. Instead I start getting calls from 2 months prior to my renewal. My WhatsApp is flooded with offers from Royal Sundaram, TATA AIG, Acko, HDFC etc.. What is even more frustrating is that I get multiple calls from the same insurance company asking me not to entertain the other agent.

Solution: NO SOLUTION. Just keep blocking them. I have specifically subscribed to Truecaller only to reduce & block these spam calls and I can tell you it works. But the moment you block one, they start calling from another SIM :-) & spam my email. However emails can be ignored or deleted.
If you want to learn something about persistence (leading to irritation) no better example.
Traveller17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 00:02   #22
BHPian

When our car insurance was up for first renewal our home was flooded with letters from many insurance agents. Many of them belonging to same insurance companies. All the letters had different IDVs and renewal quotes.
I wondered for few days how did these guys obtain all the details about our car. I can recall that I started getting multiple calls as well. This was in 2013 so we were spared from the bombardment from WhatsApp.
One of my friends told me that they probably get the details from service centres and he has also received the same. I ignored and dumped those letters and my usual reply to calls was “I have already renewed”. The calls subsided after few days.
These days same events get repeated before the renewal time with an added factor of WhatsApp. I ignore all the emails & messages and stick to the reply that I have already renewed.
I think we have to deal with these disturbances these days by staying calm and not let these events irritate us.
Old 25th July 2022, 10:41   #23

I am undergoing the same torture, my car insurance is due for renewal on 29th of July 2022. I am flooded with WhatsApp quotes and also the phone calls, they are specifically mentioning the model and also the variant. I think the data is leaked through the dealers recently I took my car for service, one of the lady pretending to be from the service center called me and was asking me to renew the insurance policy from them.
Old 25th July 2022, 10:57   #24
BHPian

Data privacy is a joke in our country and interestingly no one is bothered in the authorities to take any constructive action to safe guard it. I sold my Grand i10 back in Nov 2019 and I still get calls from insurance agents when the renewal time comes despite the ownership was transferred immediately after the sale. Here is an interesting incident from last week. I am looking forward to purchase a car in next quarter hence I placed enquiry on Maruti, Tata and Toyota websites and shared my contact number with them. I am still waiting for a call from them however, Mahindra, Honda and other cars dealerships have started calling me asking if I am interested in their cars. I did not bother to ask how they got my number but I am still wondering how!!. I am from IT background so I am always careful while browsing and searching/sharing stuff on the internet but it seems they are on next level. Trucaller does help sometimes though.
Old 25th July 2022, 14:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrajeevkumar View Post
Try Doosra! This is an app (Android / iOS) with subscription that provides you an usable number (No SIM but only via app). You could give this number on shopping sites / malls / any other place where you can expect to be spammed.
This is a very good app. I have been using this "doosra" number for the past 1 year and its a peace of mind. I am amazed at times with the number of span messages, when I open the spam folder in their app.
subhro1988 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks