Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 17:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!

Hello Team BHPians,

My insurance for my Ford Ecosport (2018 Manufacture) is due in May. My car has been insured with Tata AIG since the day I bought it, which is for the last 2 years.

Last year, I met with a minor accident. The person in front of me suddenly came to a halt. I applied brakes too but it wasn't good enough and I ended up hitting his car. It was a minor hit. But then, the front bumper had to be replaced. A car behind me came and hit me too. My rear tailgate was bent because of the tire. Tata AIG processed the above as two claims.

Today, when I tried to renew the insurance, Tata AIG says:
"We regret to inform you that, considering the experience on the policy / segment, we are not in a position to offer you package cover on renewal. Instead we will be happy to
provide you a Liability Only policy, as per the terms and conditions of the respective policy
"

I contacted their customer support over chat. They say that I had too many claims.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the document shared by the chat executive (after removing personal details)

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!-tataaig.png
blue_pulsar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 18:34   #2
BHPian

re: Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!

Something similar happened to me also. I did couple of Zero dep claims in a year since I it was covered in my policy.I was happy with the Tata AIG experience

During renewal (I don't remember clearly now) if they denied me a policy or they denied me Zero dep coverage for the car but since there were a lot of insurance providers, I just moved on to another one.
kochup is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 10:21   #3
BHPian

Re: Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!

This is nothing new for insurers. The only difference here is that they are blatantly refusing, otherwise most other insurers just increase the renewal premiums astronomically so that you move on to other insurers.

Additionally, if yours is a diesel variant, their recent underwriting guideline is to not insure diesel cars. The insurance for my Ecosport D is also expiring next month but Tata AIG is not giving me a quote at all.

I would suggest you to contact your local FASS and check for their cashless tie ups and then proceed with one you are most comfortable with.
tp_dominator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 11:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Additionally, if yours is a diesel variant, their recent underwriting guideline is to not insure diesel cars. The insurance for my Ecosport D is also expiring next month but Tata AIG is not giving me a quote at all.
I am looking at TATA AIG since I got a good quote from them on PolicyBazaar. I even checked their online quote. They did give me a higher quote for my diesel which was still better than my current insurer.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 11:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I am looking at TATA AIG since I got a good quote from them on PolicyBazaar. I even checked their online quote. They did give me a higher quote for my diesel which was still better than my current insurer.
In that case, they might also be considering the Make/Models to exclude. What car do you drive? Also, I got a quote of Tata AIG from Policybazaar for my dad's diesel Skoda Rapid. So, maybe they have particularly excluded Ecosport diesel from insuring.
tp_dominator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 11:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
In that case, they might also be considering the Make/Models to exclude. What car do you drive? Also, I got a quote of Tata AIG from Policybazaar for my dad's diesel Skoda Rapid. So, maybe they have particularly excluded Ecosport diesel from insuring.
I have a 2017 Creta Diesel. The only problem I see is that it allows me a NCB of just 25% and not 50%.

I am hoping to contact them and get the quote reduced further with 50% NCB.
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 12:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

The entire insurance industry is a big fraud.

They offer meager NCB when claims are not made. The NCB is also applicable on own damage premium and not on the zero dep, engine and gearbox protect premiums.

But when you make a claim, they will happily inform that they cannot offer renewal.

Is this the case with all insurers ?

I have also heard that Tata AIG is not offering insurance on diesel cars.
F150 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 15:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

After 8 years with Tata AIG and zero claims, they would not renew my policy for depreciation proof. I moved to Sundaram instead
ajmat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 17:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

They offer meager NCB when claims are not made. The NCB is also applicable on own damage premium and not on the zero dep, engine and gearbox protect premiums.
Isnt the NCB standard across all insurers? They start with 0% and increase till 50%. Once you make a claim, it resets back to 0%. Also, all the insurance guys I have seen give NCB only on the base (own damage ) premium.

When checking for renewal, I did see some companies offering add-ons like no NCB impact and unlimited zero-depreciation claims. My understanding is that most companies restrict to 2 claims per year.
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 19:20   #10
BANNED

My experience with three companies has been quite good:
1) Bajaj Allianz: My preferred insurer, never faced any kind of issue with them. Claims are quick, and in fact, my petrol Polo goes for one claim every year (3 in 2018); not a single issue with them till date. Still they are my insurer.

2) Reliance: My insurer since 2 years, not a single issue till date. I must appreciate the fact that their settlement is lightening quick. I thank my VW dealer for suggesting me Reliance (My Polo diesel is covered by them)

3) United India: Corolla - 7 claims in 3 years, Ecosport - 3 claims in 2 years
My experience has been best with them so far, never a single issue.

Note: I have always taken the insurance from my dealer itself. 1000-2000 is max I can save from outside, but the way these guys help me with claims, and the speed of settlement keeps me happy.

I am an anti NCB guy actually, if I am giving 30k, I am not interested in saving 6-7k; just give me 60-70k back in form of claims, and I will happily pay 30k again.

About Tata AIG, once I insured with them, one big claim was taken (Toyota Fortuner), next year premium was actually quite high.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 20:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

But when you make a claim, they will happily inform that they cannot offer renewal.

Is this the case with all insurers ?

I have also heard that Tata AIG is not offering insurance on diesel cars.
NCB slabs are decided by IRDAI which were mentioned in the erstwhile India Motor Tariff. It also mentions that NCB will be applicable on only Own Damage (OD) premium and hence it does not include add-ons.

To answer your other query, its just a business call made by insurers since as per their underwriters, those customers/vehicles fall under high-risk categories and likely to make claims in upcoming years as well. However, this is just absurd according to me and hence, we are now seeing insurers coming up with various measures to assess the risk profiles of individuals using technology (for e.g. OBD devices offered by insurers). But these technologies are in a very nascent stage as of now and it might be few years until we see some changes.
tp_dominator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 10:01   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wait a minute. So, Tata-AIG is refusing renewal due to a customer actually using his insurance policy? What does that mean? That Tata-AIG wants to keep collecting premiums only? What nonsense. Thanks for sharing! We will be adding this to our news section for maximum visibility .
GTO is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 13:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Hello Team BHPians,

My insurance for my Ford Ecosport (2018 Manufacture) is due in May. My car has been insured with Tata AIG since the day I bought it, which is for the last 2 years.
Why bother with Tata AIG then? Go to Policy Bazaar or Cover Fox and get it insured from other insurers. It's their loss and this thread will also keep few prospective customers away from them.
speedmiester is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 15:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for your responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wait a minute. So, Tata-AIG is refusing renewal due to a customer actually using his insurance policy? What does that mean? That Tata-AIG wants to keep collecting premiums only? What nonsense. Thanks for sharing! We will be adding this to our news section for maximum visibility .
Thanks GTO, those were my exact thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Why bother with Tata AIG then? Go to Policy Bazaar or Cover Fox and get it insured from other insurers. It's their loss and this thread will also keep few prospective customers away from them.
Thanks. I'm doing the same. I have done few claims earlier but never heard anything like this. Also, Tata AIG has a maximum of 2 claims per year. They processed my single incident as 2 claims and not do not want to renew.

Didn't want to go through these hassles during this time of lockdown. My understanding as of yesterday was that it would need an inspection. Turns out that it is not required if the current insurance isn't expired. I was able get hold of an insurance agent and he is helping me with the process of getting an insurance from others.
Old 20th April 2020, 15:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Hello Team BHPians,

I contacted their customer support over chat. They say that I had too many claims.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?
Move on to a new insurer.
There is hardly any effort to do that.
I would recommend bajaj allianz. I have claimed twice and have received satisfactory compensation, without an fuss.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks