Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2020, 15:43   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
My experience with three companies has been quite good:
Seriously, with the amount of insurance claims you have made, why should anyone insure your car? Remember, everyone else who is paying insurance and not making unreasonable claims are subsidizing you. This is exactly the reason why insurance companies have set algorithms/rules which trigger high risk coverage from getting renewed in the following year. At they end they are running a business to make profit.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 23rd April 2020 at 14:05. Reason: spacing
Theyota is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 12:34   #47
BHPian

I came to this thread since I am in the process of renewing my insurance. I was looking for a long term insurer.
For my earlier Suzuki car, I was with Maruti Insurance for the entire 11 years. I had 3 claims in the first 5 years, then nothing for the next 6. The insurance was regularly renewed by the dealer with reducing premiums and things were simple.

With Creta, I suddenly see that Bharti AXA rates are more this year than last year in spite of no claims for 3 years. There are others who provide much lower rates for the same coverage.

But somehow, from the discussions, it looks like sticking with a single insurer is a thing of the past. The insurers seem to kick you out irrespective of your claims history.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 16:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

While most of the fellow bhpians are of the opinion that insurance company should not reject the issuance of policy, I look at the case differently.

Like the way customers have the right to choose the vendor, It is equally right for the vendor to choose his customer. It is at vendor discretion, whether to do the business with a customer.

What is NOT right is, backing out OR not giving service AFTER issuance of the policy

I really don't find anything wrong if someone denies entering into the agreement because of the whatever reason.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 18:36   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I really don't find anything wrong if someone denies entering into the agreement because of the whatever reason.
While it seems true for some cases, I can easily think of cases where you can run into problems since things here seem to be working like a cartel.

What happens if all the insurers reject the proposal for a 5 year old car? Or to be legally right, they quote a premium of 2 lacs for 5 year old Alto? Your only choice then becomes to be happy with a TP policy which is fixed by the government.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th July 2022 at 22:26. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 23rd April 2020, 22:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
What happens if all the insurers reject the proposal for a 5 year old car? Or to be legally right, they quote a premium of 2 lacs for 5 year old Alto? Your only choice then becomes to be happy with a TP policy which is fixed by the government.
The case quoted above is to an extent hypothetical. There is a governing body called IRDA which governs all insurance companies, governs underwriting and to an extent, sum insured, premium etc.

So, above scenario may not appear practically. Also, we should understand there is a stiff competition between companies to issue policies.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 16:19   #51
BHPian

Being from the industry (though not in motor insurance), feels quite bad to see this. Such behaviour from insurers makes it difficult to improve overall
insurance adoption in the country.
While there might be a legal fine print which the insurer might be using to deny a renewal, I would still suggest writing to complaints@irdai.gov.in with details of your case and the letter from the insurer. At the very least, it will discourage the insurer from following such practices in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
My insurance for my Ford Ecosport (2018 Manufacture) is due in May. My car has been insured with Tata AIG since the day I bought it, which is for the last 2 years.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th July 2022 at 22:27. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant sections of posts. Thanks!
Quoter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 11:27   #52
BHPian

I had bought coverage from TATA-AIG for the last year for around INR 16,500. This year they deny me a policy saying my claims were high.

I had a single claim for the last year for ~INR 19,800. That was when I accidentally went into a small but deep pothole (and with sharp edges at that) while driving on the Mumbai-Pune expressway in December 2019. That road is not supposed to have potholes.

I was driving in the middle lane at around 90 kmph and spotted the pothole only when it was too late to avoid, and in any case there were vehicles in both other lanes. The impact was enough to not just tear a cut in the tyre, but also put a small dent in the alloy rim. Thankfully this happened during daytime and the car stayed under control.

After a lot of convincing and taking a stand, TATA-AIG agreed to replace the alloy instead of simply hammering it into shape again. It seems that was their usual practice for small dents in alloys. Thankfully they did agree to cover for the tyre in entirety as well. I would've continued with them, but will probably go back to Bajaj Allianz now. In a way it's good they're denying a policy instead of selling the policy and later denying a claim.

If they're going to deny insurance because a customer used the bought insurance, I'm not sure they should be in the insurance business. I mean, what did they expect?
MegaWhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 19:43   #53
BHPian

This happened to me today. My Ford Figo was covered under TATA AIG insurance since last year. Had a minor claim (Guess the bill was below Rs 20K). I rang them up their toll free number to take a quote. And they 'happily' informed that I cant renew the policy.
I remembered this thread, and so was least surprised. But I told that I am 'curious' who has advised about this and whats the reason. It is their 'underwriting team' who has advised not renew my policy considering my ' car's performance' with Tata AIG during the last year
I called up my dealer and got a New India Insurance policy within minutes. Bye bye TATA AIG forever and will ensure no one in my circle goes for it. On hindsight it is good that they denied the renewal and not my claim.
Silver Knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 20:16   #54
BHPian

How do they intend to get new customers?

Does it mean, they want to insure only new cars with no history to decide on, or old cars with non-zero NCB?
Old 20th July 2022, 22:22   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
My insurance for my Ford Ecosport (2018 Manufacture) is due in May. My car has been insured with Tata AIG since the day I bought it, which is for the last 2 years.
I am presently stuck in a similar situation with a similar car!! Trying to fight my way out and landed here to find this thread that exactly resonates with my ordeal.

Context; Last Friday morning, I was driving at crawling speed in a bumper to bumper traffic behind a Hyundai Creta. Like always, there was this two wheeler (Jupiter) who tried to quickly make his way out and overtook me from the right only to sneak out from the rear left of Creta as the later was driving pretty close to the divider and had limited space to exit. I still have exact memory of the incident as I was observing the tailgate of Creta which had many dents and was wondering why a car that belongs to a new generation had som many dents!

In a split second the mishap occurred. Creta breaked hard! The Jupiter which was trying to make his way out from the rear left of the Creta had limited space and collided with Creta and me driving my Ecosport, and observing the whole scene also break hard to avoid any major injury to the two wheeler. For a moment I could see his left leg right in straight line of my vision as he was trying to diagonally cut and speed ahead and I break hard to avoid any major collision to his leg!

After a second or two, I hear a loud thud from my rear and see an auto crashed in the rear view mirror. The impact was so hard, that I felt the car move a bit ahead irrespective of my leg pressed hard on the break pedal. I further quickly realised the entire auto facia was flat to my rear and since we (Creta, Jupiter and myself) were in a skewed line, and fearing the impact I moved away from the collision line to park my car aside and to offer some help to the involved parties.

As I got down, I quickly happen to click few pictures while trying to talk to the driver of the Creta and to my shock I saw the auto completely flat at front! I panicked and rushed towards the auto. Luckily the driver was unhurt and neither the guy on Jupiter and Creta. Then I realised the Creta was driven by a Hyundai dealer/official by seeing his uniform and thought the car was being picked for service.

Unfortunately by then a loud fight broke out by the passenger of the Auto abusing me for the mishap. Here, the two other involved parties, Creta and Jupiter fled the scene and the traffic piled up to a large extent.

Traffic cops arrived, one cop started abusing me while I was trying to explain the situation to another cop and obliging to their orders and to clear the traffic I onboarded one of the cop to drive to the nearest station after being assured the auto driver is alright.

In the station I explained the incident and shared the pictures to the cops and seeing the impact to the auto and observing the condition of the other two vehicles in the pictures, the cops blamed the auto driver for driving rash and speeding in the traffic. Here I was bit concerned for the auto driver as he was apologetic and had nothing to say. I moved on from the station without filing any FIR.

Cut to - my vehicle in the service station and the ordeal starts. Its been four days since I have parked the car in the authorised service station, and so far we have not received any claim approvals. After reaching the service station and upon inspecting closely with the body shop advisor, I see a minor impact to my front bumper as well which had collided with the two wheeler ahead and my rear tail door has a significant dent and the spare alloy mounted on the rear door has been slightly chipped.

The advisor explained me the three layer construction of the rear door of the ecosport and being a new car, I requested for a replacement door instead of pulling the dent out.

However, without hearing from the insurance surveyor from Tata AIG for three days, I decide to call him to get some update. The person started off by asking me where and how the incident happened and he had copies of the pictures that I had earlier shared with the advisor. Upon asking how long will the approval time takes, he said he cannot consider the front bumper damage as the same is irrelevant to the incident and I can claim it in a separate claim. Here I strongly refused as I was more worried of spending days without my commute as I depend heavily on the same for my work and tried explain him the incident and the scene once again.

He repeatedly kept saying he cannot consider the front bumper damage and will consider how best the rear can be repaired if not replaced, and demanded for more time for which I lost my calm and fought for what was my right to claim for the damage occurred in the incident. To this, he confronted me to produce an FIR and also threatened me by saying the whole claim can be cancelled if I escalate this to his seniors as I do not have a FIR and neither my car is in line of the accident in the pictures.

Today after a long call with the surveyor, I sit and wonder what wrong or right I have done at/post the time of the incident, as I write this post and upon reading the experience @blue_pulsar had with Tata AIG, I introspect and optimistically wait to hear on the proceeding steps from the surveyor of TATA Aig.

The bottom line is, meeting with an accident with no fault of mine, my ordeal has just increased by being insured from Tata Aig!! Worst being an arrogant surveyor who can go to the extend of threatening the customer when asked for an update!

Accident location; Bengaluru, Driving from Yeswantpur circle towards IISC.

Sharing a few pictures of the incident:
Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!-img_6304.jpg

Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!-img_6306.jpg

Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!-img_6307.jpg

Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!-img_6315.jpg

Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!-img_6311.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 20th July 2022 at 22:28. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line. Quote trimmed.
Old 21st July 2022, 04:32   #56
BANNED

When there is damage to the front as well as back of the car in an accident, insurance companies will most likely ask you to make separate claims for each as you are without an FIR, so having said that there is hardly any option now but to make two separate claims and get it both fixed, and considering you lose your NCB and you do have a Zero depreciation policy, the insurance company will allow you two Zero Depreciation claims.

By the way, when is your insurance expiring? if it is expiring soon, kindly consider changing your insurance company as well.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 18:41   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
When there is damage to the front as well as back of the car in an accident, insurance companies will most likely ask you to make separate claims for each as you are without an FIR, so having said that there is hardly any option now but to make two separate claims and get it both fixed, and considering you lose your NCB and you do have a Zero depreciation policy, the insurance company will allow you two Zero Depreciation claims.

By the way, when is your insurance expiring? if it is expiring soon, kindly consider changing your insurance company as well.

That was some valuable insight and thank you so much itsmeparvathy9. I managed to get an acknowledgment from the concerned traffic police station but the insurance surveyor is demanding a charge sheet! Also, I just got to know today the surveyor hasn't approved repair/replacement of my spare alloy which is mounted on the door. Being the first point of contact, the alloy has chipped a portion in the centre

I feel even if it is a matter of considering any one area of impact, I am further being deprived of a complete damage rectification from the insurance surveyor!

To my bad, I just got the insurance started with Tata Aig and have to live with it for another 11 months!
Old 21st July 2022, 19:30   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by witwat View Post
That was some valuable insight and thank you so much itsmeparvathy9. I managed to get an acknowledgment from the concerned traffic police station but the insurance surveyor is demanding a charge sheet! Also, I just got to know today the surveyor hasn't approved repair/replacement of my spare alloy which is mounted on the door. Being the first point of contact, the alloy has chipped a portion in the centre

I feel even if it is a matter of considering any one area of impact, I am further being deprived of a complete damage rectification from the insurance surveyor!

To my bad, I just got the insurance started with Tata Aig and have to live with it for another 11 months!
Escalate the concern to the head.customerservices@tataaig.com along with all the evidence you have collected and ask to them to get your vehicle repaired completely at the earliest. Do not blame anyone in your letter but cite the inconveniences caused to you and the delay in proceedings. You should get your reply quickly with best possible solution.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 20:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
You should get your reply quickly with best possible solution.
Once again thank you so much for the help and shall keep posted about the updates
witwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 19:55   #60
BHPian

Similar poor experience with Tata Aig. I have had a policy with them since 2018 with no claims for 3 years. This year our residential complex got water logged and my car had water damage. Hyundai fixed the car and the claim was processed by Tata AIG. Now that my policy is up for renewal, they have bumped up the premium to 45k for an IDV of 7.5 lakh from the previous estimate of 22k.

It seems they want to avoid any customer who logs a claim, irrespective of past history!

Time to move to a new Insurer :-/
Silverfire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks