Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 507 86.08%
No 82 13.92%
Voters: 589. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2022, 23:50   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

My Dzire's 4 years 40k km service is due in a week or two. The car has only run 14000 km in the past 4 years. After this service the extended warranty will run out so I will be getting the car serviced from my FNG henceforth.
Last year it cost me 4900 for just service and oil change.
This year I will have a big bill as it will include :

Service charge
Oil change
Coolant change (needs to be replaced every 2 years)
Air filter change (not changed yet)
Spark plugs (I think, will avoid as running is low and no tension of warranty henceforth)
Cabin Filter change (does it have one ?)
Intermittent AC issue due to faulty clutch or electronics ( should be covered under EW)
Steering Column fix (due to recall. It's showing some of the symptoms)
Fog light installation (personal choice. May opt out depending on cost)
Old 13th January 2022, 00:23   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac23 View Post
I just went in to drop our Ignis for its 40000/4 years service in Nexa, Kollam, Kerala. The vehicle has run 20000 kms so far. Yet they insisted me to go with the 40000 service and I was given a shocking estimate of Rs. 8000+. The service advisor claimed that it's a 'Major Service'.
I confirmed the parts they were going to change and it was just the regular fluids, filters and 4 spark plugs. The service cost estimator tool from Suzuki gave me an estimate of some 4.5k. I saw a similar estimate on the tablet with them as well.
Yet, they were claiming that with taxes and labour charges it would come to 6-7k if i opt out of spark plug change.
They also showed me the AMC package which costs some 9.5k which covers 2 periodic services including wheel balancing/allignment.
I opted for the AMC since it made more sense for pay the 9.5k for 2 services.
It's hard to swallow the fact that a small car like Ignis costs 8k for a normal periodic service these days and there is literally no point in choosing Suzuki over other brands like Hyundai for the sake of affordable maintenance.
Suzuki parts are cheap. That's true. But they add miscellaneous charges here and there and inflate the final amount. As many have pointed out here, labour charges end up being more than those for parts. This was an eye opener for me.
I requested the service center to provide me the estimate which they had shown me before the service.
This will give everyone an idea of the cost involved in the 20K/40K/60K/80K service for Swift/Baleno/Ignis Petrol.

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-whatsapp-image-20220112-11.47.23-pm.jpeg

The fake estimate from the Service Cost Calculator on the Maruti Suzuki website.

They also made sure to add a disclaimer to make sure that they won't face any legal troubles if anyone notices the huge discrepancy.

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-fake.jpg

For the cost estimator, I had added the 40K periodic service with wheel alignment and balancing. Since the balancing price is given for only one wheel, I added a few other additional jobs like throttle body cleaning and pick up and drop to compensate for the price.

I feel MS is trying to portray to the public that they are a 'cheap to service' brand while actual charges are similar or more than other brands.
Old 14th January 2022, 23:41   #843
Senior - BHPian

I paid 7555 for my Dzire's 4 year 40k service.
It included pretty much all the fluids except transmission fluid plus the spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter and cabin filter. Other than the cabin filter which I opted for myself, everything else is mandatory and recommended by the manual.
Old 15th February 2022, 16:33   #844
BHPian

Today I did 70k service for my Baleno Delta petrol and got a bill of ₹6,556 for a regular service with semi synthetic engine oil (only extra item bought was antenna rod for radio for ₹229).

This also includes ₹325 for sanitization/fumigation, ₹502 for cabin air filter and ₹1,125 for alignment and wheel balancing (all amounts are excluding taxes).

cheers!
y448 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 07:42   #845
BHPian

Giving my Ertiga for 10,000km service today. its actually 1st paid service. 3rd service itself cost me 3,200. how much bill should i expect and what are all the things should i tell them to avoid. is it ok for them to charge cabin ac filter clean/change ?
Old 13th June 2022, 23:01   #846
BHPian

So I gave my S-presso for 2 years/20000 km service today. The car has just done 11.5k Kms in total.

Despite asking repeatedly to not include any extras they still added lots of extras and brought the bill to 6.6k even without wheel alignment/ balancing.

1. ECSTAR tire care - Charged Rs 556+83 - I assume this is a tyre polish. They haven't even washed the tyre/wheel caps. The wheel well is also not washed. The underbody is not washed. The engine bay also is not washed. They have just used their scratchy cloth to dust. So absolute bogus charge. Do these people think that we do not even know to read?

2. PRF Little Tree - Jasmin Hanging - 84Rs - Didn't ask for this useless perfume. I hate hanging objects as they distract me while driving.

3. Screen Wash - 4 - Wiper fluid - This was also not needed as the tank was full. They haven't used it at all.

4. ECSTAR Petrol OW20 - Firstly, the grade is wrong. It is supposed to be OW16 according to the user manual. Also, the engine oil capacity is 2.8 liters. They have charged for 2.9 liters.

5. Hygiene Charges - 175 Rs - They haven't even washed the car. What hygiene?

6. Diagnostic Charges - 180 Rs - Isn't this part of PMS?. What extra diagnosis?

7. All electricals check-up - 650 Rs - Isn't this part of PMS?. They are charging 650 Rs to check if all lights are working fine?. I bet they haven't even checked that. Is this legal?

8. All Brake check and clean - 850 Rs - Is this also not part of PMS?. They haven't even cleaned wheel caps. I assume they haven't done anything.

9. PMS - 1P - 20k - 1385 Rs - I believe this is the only legal charge they have added.

I had availed pickup and drop facility due to personal circumstances. The pickup and drop were free.
I have paid the entire amount to them since the car was delivered at home and the driver insisted but have called the service advisor to reverse the charges for ECStar tire care.

Please go through the charges and let me know of the other illegal charges added. I am willing to escalate it as far in the Marutis hierarchy as possible. Please let me know how to handle this judiciously. This is my first car and first paid service.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-spresso.jpg_1.jpg  

darkfantasy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 17:04   #847
Senior - BHPian

So I got a fat service bill from Shivam autozone Andheri (East) which is classified as a major service. The work includes engine oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, coolant change and brake oil change. I refused ac filter change and wheel alignment and balancing. The total amount 14k for a 2019 petrol Swift MT .

I am only keepin quite because of the 5 year warranty and am beginning to think if the warranty is even worth it not. And oh yes there was on offer which was going which led me to a discount of a paltry 800 Rs on various items. I serviced the car one month ahead of schedule for the said discount.

I am seriously thinking of switching to a decent garage but most players are out to fleece you and good and honest garages are hard to come by. My warranty expires in 2024 Mar and I am not sure if I will continue with Shivam or even other Mass garages. Making a rapport with a regular SA is also not helping as many keep switching jobs and you find out that your regular guy has left the company.

Maintaining a car has become an expensive affair be it fuel or servicing. Oh and to add the icing to the cake, I had asked them to check if the clutch cable needs adjustment and they recommended a clutch overhaul stating that the clutch is hard. My car has done 16k kms and I think after owning 2-3 cars I know what a hard clutch is. Also as a cherry on top of the cake they did not clean the engine bay and I got the car back with the same rat droppings that I hope they will clean during service but in the end it so happened that I ended up cleaning the damn deposits myself thinking of the 14 grand I just spend on them.

When I sent pics of same to the SA all I got was "sorry sir we do not wash the engine bay but we just polish it and we forgot to polish same" He asked me for my address so that he can send someone on Mon (car was serviced on sat) to "polish" the engine bay. I am just not ineterested in letting them touch my car for now.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 17:14   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
So I got a fat service bill from Shivam autozone Andheri (East) which is classified as a major service. The work includes engine oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, coolant change and brake oil change. I refused ac filter change and wheel alignment and balancing. The total amount 14k for a 2019 petrol Swift MT
14k for a routine service doesn't sound right for a Swift. Can you share the invoice? Curious to know about the price break-up these days as I am also planning to get my Swift serviced this upcoming Saturday.
Old 11th December 2022, 17:30   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
14k for a routine service doesn't sound right for a Swift. Can you share the invoice? Curious to know about the price break-up these days as I am also planning to get my Swift serviced this upcoming Saturday.
Here you go. I had 11k bill in 2021 Mar without the spark plus and air filter charge.
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-bill1.gif

Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-20221211_171752.jpg
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 18:49   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Here you go. I had 11k bill in 2021 Mar without the spark plus and air filter charge.
Attachment 2388890

Attachment 2388889
These four items look suspicious:
FIP Calibration: Rs. 2100 plus taxes
Diagnostic Charges : Rs. 340 plus taxes
Side slip and Brake tester : Rs. 1250 plus taxes
Super cleaner: Rs. 322
These 4 items together have added around 4000 bucks plus taxes! Otherwise the bill look okay for a synthetic oil change.

You should raise dispute with Maruti for these items if you didn't ask for it.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 11th December 2022 at 18:51.
Sherlocked is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:49   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac23 View Post
Wheel balancing is needed - 1.) at the time of installation of new tyre on the wheel i.e, rim 2.) Everytime a tyre is changed or reinstall on the wheel

So, once balanced, unless tyre is reinstalled on the rim or you are facing excessive vibrations on the steering column, car doesn't need wheel balancing . Most services centres rip off Rs.500 in the name of wheel balancing for an unnecessary task. Avoid this when it is not required.
Old 13th December 2022, 18:20   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
These four items look suspicious:
FIP Calibration: Rs. 2100 plus taxes
Diagnostic Charges : Rs. 340 plus taxes
Side slip and Brake tester : Rs. 1250 plus taxes
Super cleaner: Rs. 322
These 4 items together have added around 4000 bucks plus taxes! Otherwise the bill look okay for a synthetic oil change.

You should raise dispute with Maruti for these items if you didn't ask for it.
So I had written to Maruti seeking clarification what the FIP and what side slip brake testing means. Maruti directed the query to Shivam and I just received a call from their customer representative who gave the call to the SA who was with me who gave a long explanation on why they looted me.

The FIP is like engine decarb etc etc and the side slip is for brake cleaning. Not sure why these are not included in general service. Anyways I said fine and bye as I don't want this dragged. Shivam Autozone does do a decent job but like others they overcharge. I will not be going on a planned visit to them anytime soon.

I did not want the dealer involved hence had written to Maruti. This has happened earlier as well and they keep directing the dealer towards the customer. I wonder if other Swift owners have these items in their bill.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:50   #853
BHPian

My Dzire diesel completed 5 years recently and has completed 70000Kms. In each Maruti paid service I have spent ~Rs. 8000 on an average. Maruti service is definitely not cheap. Since I have opted for Synthetic Engine oil its on the higher side. Below is the breakup:
The total comes to Rs. 92709
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-untitled.jpg  

subhro1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 20:25   #854
BHPian

My 2011 Swift petrol having run 51000kms. Serviced at approx 1 year interval.

Service Rs 35803 - 9 paid service plus 5 tyre rotations with alignment and 3 wheel balancing and a rat bite to the fuel pipe.
Parts Rs 45333 - including 4 new tyres, 1 battery change and misc spares like bulb/orvm mirror etc.
This works out to an all included average of ~7300 per annum ove the 11 years of ownership

Insurance Rs 62059

No major repairs till now, touchwood.
Was told during this service cycle that the engine mounts are due for a change, which I not done, since I could not hear/sense any vibration nor could i notice any change in engine note associated with it. Need to take a second opinion for this.

My most recent service costed ~5k
Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!-service.png
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 11:35   #855
BHPian

Does anyone know a senior contact @ Maruti to escalate a significant issue I am facing? I have written to contact@maruti.co.in, but I need to escalate it further.

Most Viewed