Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2024, 12:37   #1

Received a tax notice for our car that was 'exchanged' at dealership | Ownership remained unchanged

Dear Distinguished Members,

I need some help from you. My father had exchanged his old Maruti 800 for a new Alto LXI in 2011 at a Maruti dealership in Kolkata. The dealership had taken all necessary documents and my father's signature and assured him of a smooth transfer process.

After 13 years of the aforementioned exchange, couple of days back, we have received a notice that vehicle tax has not been paid and that we need to pay it immediately. I checked Vahan website and was surprised to find that the old Maruti 800 is still registered under my father's name! This implies that the dealership did nothing to complete the owner name transfer in the RTO records. Also, the dealership doesn't exist now.

My question to you is, what action should be taken here? Should we contact Maruti and ask them or directly go the RTO? We naturally do not know to whom the car was sold to, hence at a fix what to do. Any support/information on this would be immensely helpful.

TIA
t_chat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 10:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Received a tax notice for our car that was 'exchanged' at dealership | Ownership remained unchan

Going to the RTO would be the right approach if you are in the same city. You can explain your position to the RTO and seek their advice. Likely, the car may not be plying on the roads anymore.

Does the car have valid insurance as per Vahan? If yes, contacting the insurer could be of some help. You can even go to the extent of cancelling the RC officially - let the current owner figure out how to reinstate it.
gischethans is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 10:22   #3
BHPian

Re: Received a tax notice for our car that was 'exchanged' at dealership | Ownership remained unchan

After 13 years, contacting Maruti won't be of much help. As advised check if the vehicle has a valid insurance to see if the vehicle is still in use.

If it does not, better contact RTO to get the RC cancelled.

Always check online if the ownership has changed when you sell a car, even if it is to a dealer.
raj4466 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 10:23   #4
BHPian

When you exchange a car, they normally give you a letter stating that henceforth they will be responsible for anything to do with the car. Did you receive one such letter? Do you have a copy of any transfer documents?

like @gischethans suggested, you can approach the RTO with the documents. Just walk in to the office and demand to talk to RTO or someone responsbile. They should be able let you know how to proceed. You can approach Maruti, but not sure how promptly they will attend to it. Shoot a mail anyway, no harm in it.
n_ramesh99 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 10:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
After 13 years, contacting Maruti won't be of much help.
Not 13 years, even after 13 hours of purchasing a car from Maruti, there won't be much help from them in my personal experience.

You should reach out to the RTO directly and cancel it. As others mentioned, check for active insurance; if not, then I don't think the car is still in use.
raptor_diwan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:35   #6
RMN
BHPian

Wouldn't lodging a complaint with Police before you going to the RTO help?
RMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:40   #7
BHPian

1. Maruti might not directly help you in this case, but, as a good will the dealer can check the service records to find out the car has been serviced in the recent past and try to get the details like phone number and if lucky the address of the current or the recent owner.

2. Try checking for traffic challans in vahan website, with little luck atleast the city of use might be available.

3. Give a police complaint explaining the situation with the proof of exchanging the car, this might help if there is any legal liability due to accident.

4. An official letter to RTO again to cover the legal angle might be handy later.

5. Little more detective work like finding out the documents of the erstwhile dealership would be possible with some effort.
aadya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 12:57   #8
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_chat View Post
Dear Distinguished Members,

I need some help from you. My father had exchanged his old Maruti 800 for a new Alto LXI in 2011 at a Maruti dealership in Kolkata. The dealership had taken all necessary documents and my father's signature and assured him of a smooth transfer process.

After 13 years of the aforementioned exchange, couple of days back, we have received a notice that vehicle tax has not been paid and that we need to pay it immediately. I checked Vahan website and was surprised to find that the old Maruti 800 is still registered under my father's name! This implies that the dealership did nothing to complete the owner name transfer in the RTO records. Also, the dealership doesn't exist now.

My question to you is, what action should be taken here? Should we contact Maruti and ask them or directly go the RTO? We naturally do not know to whom the car was sold to, hence at a fix what to do. Any support/information on this would be immensely helpful.

TIA
This is such a coincidence, we too received a notice saying to pay our overdue for an older car we sold.

We sold our 2003 lancer some time in 2007. The car was registered in my grandfather’s name. The notice was addressed to him, saying that the tax for this car hasn’t been paid since 2014. It’s been so many years now and we don’t have one single paper for the same. I don’t even have a copy of the VIN number. The car was sold to a local broker who hasn’t been seen in years. His number does not exist too. We are now at our wits end about how to go forward. Ignoring it for now
Mtv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 13:29   #9
BHPian

Along with seeking help from the RTO, I suggest that you go ahead and lodge a police complaint for the same. You ever know what all activities the can has been used for.
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 18:19   #10
BHPian

I am going through similar thing.
we had given our linea in exchange to Maruti True value in August 2018. The NOC was issued from RTO and we didn't really follow up with them about transfer.
Now after 5 years, i have come to know that the new owner never got it transfered.
I have verbally contacted Maruti true value people and pestering them to figure it out but they are hardly doing anything on it.

Meanwhile, i found out the name, number and address of new owner through the latest insuranc epolicy he got done.
Have passed on that number to true value manager, because i didnt personally want to get involved in any talks with new owner. They talked to the new owner and he doesnt seem too interested in transfer and is saying that he will scrap the car soon.

What should be my way forward?
Old 27th February 2024, 18:53   #11
BHPian

Get the car blacklisted... works wonders.
It's not your property now, so why bear the hassles. Entire process has been discussed in the below given thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...xperience.html (Bike sold to CredR | RC not transferred after 4 years | A frustrating experience)

Last edited by Chandrahas : 27th February 2024 at 18:57.
Chandrahas is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks