Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 18:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor accident | Frustrating after-sales experience with Tata

I bought the Tata Tiago XZ in 2017. Probably their best car in terms of quality to date! Yes that's right. It's been going steadily downhill thereafter.

I have had only one problem with the car since the first month of ownership. Suddenly it will slow down and accelerator has no effect at all. The car remains in idle mode. Initially in warranty period I got it towed twice to the workshop for rectification. In the second instance it was escalated to Service Head of TaMo in NCR. Several heads came together and the condensed report of investigation showed that it was likely the throttle body. Very reluctantly this was replaced. I thought we were done and dusted.

With regularity which is like clockwork this fault occurs at least once a year at the most inopportune time. One time I was off to the golf club early morning and the car halted with ergo the same fault! Luckily I could park it and get a lift from a fellow golfer. Now the strange thing which I accidentally noticed a few events ago was that if I leave the car off for 20 mins I can drive off till the next event.

I can live with it but my wife won't touch it. When she was driving to the passport office the same fault recurred. I told her to leave the car and sent my second car. Toba, toba never again.

Last time this happened about a year ago I sent it to the ASS. I got a call from the service executive that there is a throttle fault and a wiring harness fault. The total cost of replacing both was approx Rs 75k. I said thanks I will live with this fault.

The point which you must have guessed is that Tata makes nice looking cars which are meant to be viewed from a distance. Don't make the mistake of buying one of their auto products. I sympathize with all those stuck in these problems with TaMo.
ashokabs is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 19:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
I bought the Tata Tiago XZ in 2017. Probably their best car in terms of quality to date! Yes that's right. It's been going steadily downhill thereafter.

I have had only one problem with the car since the first month of ownership. Suddenly it will slow down and accelerator has no effect at all. The car remains in idle mode. Initially in warranty period I got it towed twice to the workshop for rectification. In the second instance it was escalated to Service Head of TaMo in NCR. Several heads came together and the condensed report of investigation showed that it was likely the throttle body. Very reluctantly this was replaced. I thought we were done and dusted.
It is a known issue with <2018 Tigor and Tiago's. The culprit is faulty fuel pump. Replacement cost is around 10k.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th October 2023 at 21:45. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
DCEite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 22:58   #18
BHPian

The delay and miscommunication from Tata Motors is incredibly frustrating. My experiences with their service have been mostly problem-free. I had an accident repair where the right taillight was damaged while I was reversing. I was told that the part was readily available and was asked to bring in my car the next day to have it replaced at a cost of Rs 2500. I'm hoping for a smoother ownership experience with my upcoming Safari purchase. Have you escalated this to the next level? I am also a Mahindra user, where the service quality was similar and had to occasionally escalate things (including tweeting to Anand Mahindra).
Old 1st November 2023, 00:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

I really appreciate the humorous way in which this sorry state of affairs has been presented.
While i dont know how and when your tigor will be repaired, there is one thing you can do here immediately - Ask for a Donor car.
Old 2nd November 2023, 21:36   #20
BHPian

All said and done if you have the misfortune of getting involved with "body shop " you will experience such horror story sooner or later. The body shop guys are like a system within a system with their own rules and attitude and work culture. I had my share of bad experience including inordinate delays in both toyota and honda too.
Carmine_pepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 05:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
It is a known issue with <2018 Tigor and Tiago's. The culprit is faulty fuel pump. Replacement cost is around 10k.
In my case it is unlikely to be the fuel pump. The car happily idles but there is no effect when the accelerator is pressed. If the fuel pump was overheating then car should not be able to idle.

It could be the ECU, the accelerator or the throttle body. That is my reading.

We are all now scared to take out the car in case it breaks down.
Old 4th December 2023, 16:10   #22
BHPian

Ideally, a manufacturers job is to build and sell cars, and not put all their energy in fixing an accidental car, so let's not blame the manufacturer here. It looks like dealer is not interested in fixing it given the complex damage.

A good body shop outside could fix it, personally I would have scrapped this car.
Old 4th December 2023, 19:05   #23
BHPian

Extremely shocking, once again releived that I stayed away from Tata. How can a company be so stubborn despite several such stories?
Old 6th December 2023, 15:43   #24

Thank You BHPians for all the suggestions and solutions. The company took heed of the issue and Mr. Pankaj Tilve, Area Service Manager and his senior Mr. Devendra contacted me.

They explained that the delay was due to Inderjit Motors Jogeshwari shifting it's workshop. They took the vehicle to Inderjit Mira Road Workshop and gave the case to Raghupreet Kochhar, who swiftly got the work started on the vehicle and constantly updated me over the phone and WhatsApp. The Team-BHP post seemed to catch the attention of the right individuals within Tata Motors.

They acknowledged the situation promptly and ensured that everything was set in motion to rectify the issues. In what can only be described as express mode, the team at Tata Motors leapt into action and completed all the repairs. This turnaround was efficient and also displayed a level of dedication and commitment to customer satisfaction. They delivered the car before Diwali to my residence with a driver. It still had some niggles - again they sent a service team home, which again identified the issues in my presence. It took a visit to the new Inderjit workshop and 1-hour to resolve the niggles.

This was indeed a remarkable turnaround. I thought of writing this because - if we critique wrong acts, we must appreciate the right ones too. If this act of the company continues - there will surely be a transformation in the perception of Tata Motors brand. I hope that their exemplary conduct serves as an example within Tata Motors and for customers of the brand seeking service.

A thank you to the trio from my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagariachirag View Post
Tata Motors Post-Sales Service is a masterclass in frustration. In the thrilling world of car ownership, it's not just about picking the shiniest metal ("Desh Ka Loha' as many users shout on social media)on four wheels; it's also about the post-sales service. Strap in for a rollercoaster ride as we delve into my recent escapade with Tata Motors post-sales service, a journey that could easily rival a Greek tragedy.

Picture this: My innocent Tata Tigor, minding its own business at a traffic signal, is suddenly treated to an uninvited dance with an MG Hector in full-speed tango. As an added bonus, it decides to waltz into a Maruti Wagon R ahead, leaving my beloved Tata Tigor in a rather avant-garde mangled state. The desh ka loha is strong and nothing happens to me. Same with MG Hector. The Wagon R standing ahead is now shorter by 25%.

After this electrifying performance on the road, I rushed to contact Tata Motors for assistance. Their initial response was like a soothing lullaby – they promised to mend my wounded car and return it to me in no time. (15 days approx) What a comforting thought! But hold onto your hats, folks, because the plot thickens. I thought that this is pretty quick also because my Insurance Policy is through Tata Motors Insurance Brokers. I leave my car at Inderjit Auto (Jogeshwari, Mumbai) in the hands of Mr. Chaitanya.

In the realm of communication, Tata Motors displayed a level of commitment that would make Houdini proud. They mysteriously disappeared, with my attempts to reach them met by an eerie silence. It was almost as if they had mastered the art of vanishing without a trace. If a Mr. India remake is to be made, he could be working at a Tata Motors Authorised Service Centre.

A mere two weeks, they said. However, it appears that they have a unique interpretation of time. My car has now been enjoying a leisurely stay at their service center for a jaw-dropping 38 days, almost like a long, unplanned vacation.

In my valiant efforts to voice my concerns and complaints, Tata Motors provided me with an enlightening experience – the sound of crickets. They showed a level of attentiveness to my pleas that's truly remarkable, in the sense that they didn't respond at all.

The relationship manager made a WhatsApp group with me and his bosses and puts the status; awaiting spare parts periodically and his bosses do not reply. I sometimes think that this is a planned activity and they are mocking at us as customers of the brand.

This isn't my first rodeo with Tata Motors' post-sales service, and I can confidently say that they have consistently maintained their unique brand of service excellence. For those considering the joys of dealing with Tata Motors post-sales service, I wholeheartedly recommend it... if you're a fan of mystery novels with no satisfying conclusion.

In conclusion, my saga with Tata Motors India's post-sales service has been nothing short of spectacular. The lack of communication, extended repair time, and their unapologetic indifference to customer concerns have given me a newfound appreciation for irony. It's my hope that this blog serves as a cautionary tale, offering a glimpse into the delightful world of Tata Motors' post-sales service.
Old 6th December 2023, 17:42   #25

This episode again highlights the fact the TML "system" won't work organically. A social media post with enough sarcasm and negativity worked wonders for you OP, congratulations.

Why should this (and similar) case not be tracked in internal CRM systems and be resolved on priority? The mass volume brands cannot afford to have a lackluster attitude in service or repair of existing cars(which all MBA folks perceive to be the cash cow).
Old 1st April 2024, 00:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
The point which you must have guessed is that Tata makes nice looking cars which are meant to be viewed from a distance. Don't make the mistake of buying one of their auto products. I sympathize with all those stuck in these problems with TaMo.
I believe their cars were both ugly and poor quality + poor service when they started out.

Now they are catching up on looks, features and functionality.

Hopefully, they won't wait another 10 years to catch up with the tech and service quality offered by competitors such as Suzuki.

Yes, Suzuki looks fragile and is fragile. One scoundrel left a butt imprint on my previous Wagon R AMT bonnet. Nothing could be done with it -- maybe paint it the shape of Ed Sheeran's dreams.

Yet, parts, service, warranty, insurance, accessability and engine and amenities offered by Suzuki makes me go back to them rather than to Tata or Mahindra.

While safety is important-- i have been riding motorcycles for 20+ years so I know anything can happen anytime through no fault of your own.

Currently, new Wagon R, Baleno and the Jimny offer stuff that will make the counterpart among Tata model owners rethink their choice.

Macho as it seems, the Safari or the Scorpio / Thar, et al is like my 20 year old Enfield Bullet in more ways than one --- a status symbol that is not worth its while anymore.

Most Viewed