Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2023, 09:17   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service

Hello All,
Please move this to relevant section if this doesn't qualify here.
We have a Nano XT 2015 make with very less running. We regularly get it serviced once an year at Tata Service centers only(Hyderabad).

We have now observed that the service centers have an unofficial understanding among themselves of not to take Nanos for any sort servicing as the spares aren't being manufactured at the Pune plant.

We have literally begged them to take the car for service as we usually don't get it at garages and prefer authorized service centers only.

They have taken a signature that we don't make any noise if the spares aren't available in due course of servicing and would take the car back without the spare being replaced.

Our Nano doesn't has such any specific problem but from what I heard, even air filters , brakes and other regular maintenance spares are also not available with any service center.

Also, the bigger problem is that the Nano doesn't share much spare parts with any other Tata Car and an out of production car causes much more inconvenience .

Did any other existing Nano owners in twin cities faced this problem ? If yes, please advise how and where to get the car serviced ?

We don't have any plans to get the Nano sold off and would retain it as long as it can run.
Altrozed is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:01   #2
BHPian

re: Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
We have now observed that the service centers have an unofficial understanding among themselves of not to take Nanos for any sort servicing as the spares aren't being manufactured at the Pune plant.
I too have observed the same for the Nano Xta and Zest Xma. Since zest shares parts with its newer siblings somehow they're managing it. But as you said when it comes to Nano parts availability is very difficult.

Service managers are indeed discouraging taking up older cars into TASS due to parts and difficult in nature to repair. All the new cars are easier to repair compared to the older ones.
varun560061 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service

Have you tried escalating to customer care via email or phone?
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is weird. Aren't automobile manufacturers supposed to ensure supply of spares for 15 years after the production comes to a halt? Nano might have sold in small numbers, but that is not the customer's fault. There is no excuse for taking signature in a very dubious consent form.

The service centre is taking customers for a ride. Can we escalate to some Tata Motors officials to bring it to their notice?
aravind.anand is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Aren't automobile manufacturers supposed to ensure supply of spares for 15 years after the production comes to a halt?
There is no hardwritten rule stating so. It is just a goodwill from the manufacturer & their suppliers to ensure spare availability for a longer period / expected life of the vehicle from my understanding.
null is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:52   #6
BHPian

No manufacturer/service centre can do this. They are obligated to service the car and definitely cannot take a sign on the form and all. This is really fishy.

Put your foot down and ask them to service the car.
Oppanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:52   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Have you tried escalating to customer care via email or phone?
The GM of the service center was kind and hence after a long request, he accepted the car to service.
I didn't attempt to reach them via Email or phone as I want to 1st get my car serviced and then see what better can be done. Till I find out a decent FNG, I have to depend on the mercy of these service centers.

Quote:
That is weird. Aren't automobile manufacturers supposed to ensure supply of spares for 15 years after the production comes to a halt? Nano might have sold in small numbers, but that is not the customer's fault. There is no excuse for taking signature in a very dubious consent form.

The service centre is taking customers for a ride. Can we escalate to some Tata Motors officials to bring it to their notice?
There is no as such a consent form which I signed. The usual counter foil copy which they hand over, they have written ,no existing complaints to be handled , in a scribbled way.

We can escalate but their own arguments has merits too. They are not backed up by TML to provide spares and these center can't hold cars for long nor there are understanding customers.
My only concern was that they formed a group to reject the car outright at the gate.

Same for Zest pairs and their ex flagship model Hexa.

Also note that we had AMC for our car and even they failed to honor the same.
Altrozed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
We can escalate but their own arguments has merits too. They are not backed up by TML to provide spares and these center can't hold cars for long nor there are understanding customers.
My only concern was that they formed a group to reject the car outright at the gate.

Same for Zest pairs and their ex flagship model Hexa.

Also note that we had AMC for our car and even they failed to honor the same.
Escalation in this case is not against the dealership, but against TML or their vendors who are not supplying spares.

Shocked to hear Hexa is facing the same fate. It is a much more complex vehicle with a chance of lot more things going wrong and TML cannot wash their hands off.

Heck, even without making cars, Ford is supporting us owners really well to the date!
aravind.anand is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 11:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope this is not for real across the country & isolated to some SCs that aren't keen for some reasons (maybe rush of new cars, low margins on Nano service relatively etc). Here in Pune at least - I see countless Nanos, Indicas, Vistas, Zests, Old Safaris, Hexas & Sumos - at service centers regularly. Nobody has blocked them, nor has a customer cried foul about such practice yet.

I hope this is resolved properly & Tata hasn't actually left its loyal customers fending for themselves. Remember - it already took people swimming against the current, to make the decision to buy a Nano to begin with.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 11:25   #10
BHPian

This is true, I have a TATA Safari Dicor 2.2 2012.
I am facing issues in sourcing parts. Most parts have gone NLS in the system.

For eg. The Power Window switches, the cabin lights, A/c switch , Oil separator etc all have to be sourced from outside.

I had spoken to the TATA CRM and I was told that there is no official policy to support parts for 15 years. Usually it is only a couple of years after a model gets discontinued and that too is on goodwill basis.

This is sad, as the car is running fine but I am dreading the time when a major repair is needed and I will not be able to procure the part as some are no longer available on Boodmo as well now.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 11:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
This is sad, as the car is running fine but I am dreading the time when a major repair is needed and I will not be able to procure the part as some are no longer available on Boodmo as well now.
Actually - "major" repairs are not a big worry as most of the Dicor 2.2's parts live on in various avatars in passenger/commercial vehicles even now. And better than ASCs, good FNGs will source the right parts for a much longer time, via better channels. Maybe compatible replacement parts / small changes etc. Easily manageable.

its actually the small repairs and inner body trims/parts that cause a headache over time (like you are facing for the switches). Those tend to be unique to a car model and run out of stock much faster. Then comes the phase of scavenging the heaps of totaled cars.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 11:56   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service

You guys should take it up with Tata & blast everywhere on social media. Your Nano is just 8 years old, that's too recent a product to withdraw support for. In fact, I believe a few Nanos were even sold in 2017, so it is just not acceptable to withdraw support for a car as recent.

Doesn't look good on Tata. They had better pull their socks up on this. Cannot leave owners in the lurch, even if it doesn't make business sense.

The only language they will understand is negative publicity, so make your voice heard on all channels. We will also add your thread to our homepage.

Quote:
That is weird. Aren't automobile manufacturers supposed to ensure supply of spares for 15 years after the production comes to a halt?
No man, that's a myth. OEMs & the after-market will continue to support a car as long as it is profitable to do so. If the cars on the road are too less in number, or it just doesn't make business sense (Nano parts are cheap & the product was a flop), they'll pull the plug.

The 3rd-gen City still has support from Honda & the after-market, because there are so many of them running on Indian roads. Honda parts aren't the cheapest either.
GTO is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service

For my 2016 Nano, the routine servicing was not a problem but any breakage or mechanical fault repair would take an unusually long time to get parts, several weeks. This was the case even when the vehicle was in production, but of course Tata those days were just learning things like after sales and customer service etc.

The case would be the same for any discontinued model, other than routine servicing parts the remaining bits would only be stocked if the vehicle is very popular or the parts are shared with some other vehicle that is currently in production.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Spares even for the oldest models like the 800, Omni or Zen are still available. Maruti service centres still accept discontinued models without any issues, then why is Tata so fussy to service older cars of their stable? If people are facing issues to even get their Hexas serviced, I shudder to think what will happen to Harrier and Safari owners, couple of years down the line.
No matter how much we bash Maruti for selling unsafe cars, lets face it, no one can beat Maruti when it comes to fuss free ownership (am not a Maruti fanboy).
rakesh_r is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

This is going to hurt TATA in the long run. Updates and refreshes every 6 months will help in sales, no doubt. But when the customer starts to feel the pinch in their 6th year of ownership, you can be rest assured that they will think twice before buying a Tata again. Already there is a huge impression that Tata parts are hard to come by, given the numerous revisions and continuous improvement that the models go through, making spare parts availability and stocking a problem. Heck, I have seen a guy from the local TATA service centre waiting to buy an OEM wheelcup for the Manza at one of the bigger independent spare part shops.

Same bad rep for Hyundai higher end cars. Many people I know are reluctant to buy the Tucson because they have heard of higher end Hyundais getting less support at the ASC after 5-6 years.

But bring your old Accord or CR-V to the Honda ASC, rest assured you will get your vehicle serviced. Maruti will still service your 800/Omni on one end or low seller higher models like the old Baleno on the other hand, though most take their vehicles to the MASS (Maruti Authorised Service centres) of different levels. Heck, Toyota will even service old private imports if possible. That is one of the main pillars supporting Japanese resale value, not just vehicle reliability.

Last edited by DicKy : 31st May 2023 at 12:38.
DicKy is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks