Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2023, 14:57   #31

Re: Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service

Regarding Tata service on my Nano XTA I shall share my experience which was literally horrific. My automatic Nano which had just covered 4600 kms till breakdown date ( yes 4600 it was then in 2022 ) was sent to service centre for the complaint AMT gears were not engaging. The car is within AMC till 2025 and serviced regularly on all intervals , as i say per year. When the tata service centre recognised it as AMT failure and need to replace all unit which is 145000 - 168000 approximately.

I was literally going to scrap the car. It was at this point I woke up from my sleep in all panic suddenly and realised I was not Ambani or Adani and at my present situation i wont be even able to scrap my cycle. Then came the twist ! I myself went to see another Nano AMT which belonged to a car dealer. After asking him and explaining our situation he opened up the engine bay. My friend then noticed our car had no clutch cable and bush and it was missing from my car. Eureka ! Engineer inside me roared like an newborn lion and I was all in hopes and went to service centre. Showed them the complaint. Again Twist, They say they have no instruction to replace clutch cable and they can only replace the part. Cost again 46000.

Again I was about to keep all Nano's in a line and fire them with my machine gun and light my cigar from the hot Gun. Within a second I realised I was not Rocky bhai and my place was not KGF. So search for spare began and i tried almost every roads i could go and finally sourced one for 10K. Replaced it from service centre at cost of 6000 Rs , took Nano home.

From the date of incident i covered 5000 kms again and sold it. Not because i dont love the car , But hate the service. I still love it and cherish it.

All this comes from heart of a man who booked a Tiago EV and awaits its delivery. Added to this is , with his mom casually asking every time that am I going to be at Tata service centre everyday to meet up the beautiful CRM lady there. My son you are married and father to 2 kids. What say , Here I am with Nano memories !
Jaguarpaw is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 15:28   #32

Re: Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service

The case with my friend's 2012 LX Nano is a bit different. Nano was with my friend's husband, who are currently undergoing a separation process. The husband (a so-called car enthusiast), just for spite, returned the car in a bad shape where the engine cylinder head has been damaged, brakes busted, and front windshield smashed. Getting spare parts for critical components is probably going to take a lot of effort and dough, apart from the need of a great mechanic who can make all this work. So, we have scheduled the car to be scrapped and am looking into Team-BHP forums for more scrapping info.
Sad to see an iconic car being scrapped for the lack of spare parts or repair reluctance.
dee_dust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 15:56   #33
BHPian

1. Imagine you have one model which is the bread and butter of the company or have sold in huge numbers (e.g. 800/Alto; i10 etc) then availability of parts for over 2-3 decades is not a big deal. There have been changes or iterations ( so called facelift) but internally the changes were not substantial and hence it was a easy win.

2. In case you have observed, the parts used in a Maruti-Suzuki vehicle is pretty much same in all the models (Swift, Baleno, Brezza, Grand Vitara, Fronx etc). If you sit inside the car it will be Deja Vu.

Downside to the above point is over time they have not upgraded. Also, you sit in a 5-6 lac car or 20 lac car the internals look the same. Upside is you will have spares for eternity

Now consider Tatas, they did make significant improvement over time. With better cars, materials, safety.. You sit in a Indica and then sit in a Tiago. The change is pretty visible and its good. But aftersales just takes a bit hit since after all they need to make profit. Hence the dilemma.

Let me know your views on this thought. And I love all the brands here
Old 1st June 2023, 18:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
In case you have observed, the parts used in a Maruti-Suzuki vehicle is pretty much same in all the models (Swift, Baleno, Brezza, Grand Vitara, Fronx etc). If you sit inside the car it will be Deja Vu.
We have the last jellybean Zen (2006) still in our family. It was a market flop due to various reasons but my dad still went ahead and got one as it was his dream to own a Zen. It was sold to one relative later.

My relative got the tail light and one headlight assembly replaced from Maruti Service center in 2021 along with some other engine internals before getting a fitness certificate and re-registration. Can anyone explain how these two parts (headlight/tail lamp) were still available despite them being exclusively a part of only that specific flop model ?

Internal parts not being shared across models is Tata's poor planning for a product and the end result is customers bearing the brunt for it. I would be a bit wary of this in future. What if I buy a Tata EV and Tata washes its hands off 10 years later saying 'We don't make such batteries anymore, the car is old anyway and no further complaints will be entertained'
NiInJa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 19:42   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post

Our Nano doesn't has such any specific problem but from what I heard, even air filters , brakes and other regular maintenance spares are also not available with any service center.

Also, the bigger problem is that the Nano doesn't share much spare parts with any other Tata Car and an out of production car causes much more inconvenience .
Just a thought, would Jayem people have the spares since they have jayem neo ev based on Nano

Last edited by Sheel : 1st June 2023 at 22:43. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed. Thanks.
Old 1st June 2023, 20:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

No man, that's a myth. OEMs & the after-market will continue to support a car as long as it is profitable to do so. If the cars on the road are too less in number, or it just doesn't make business sense (Nano parts are cheap & the product was a flop), they'll pull the plug.
Hmm, I remember the former head of Skoda India Zac hollis tweeting about how they are law bound to provide after sales support to their car for 15 years, for a gentleman's question about rapid spare parts
Sierra__foxtrot is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 21:14   #37
BHPian

Its very difficult to get the Nano serviced anywhere. It was the perfect little car but the parts they put in are just so unique that no one can even source them. My Nano was with me for 6 months (11 year old, family driven, could give any sort of problem, was not fully maintained before me). And it was a fun but harrowing experience. It used to overheat and blow the head gasket. Found out it was the problem of the water pump which was constructed such that it has the oil pump integrated. FNG tried fixing it the way they fix tractors in case of parts unavailability. That fix held on for 4 months. It eventually blew the head gasket again. Gave it back to the FNG for unstipulated time and told them to get it running again and properly. No worries about expense or time. Took 10 days and they found out many cracks in the metal of the pump. Replaced it somehow. Went to Chandigarh (180 kms). Oil started spraying out the engine on the way back. Back to the garage it went. Turned out the engine head also had a crack which could only be revealed once it heated up. They gave the car back after another 10 days. Could not find a solution or spare or even a donor car in the scrap market. Its best to let the cute jelly bean go. It will hurt like hell but the replacement will make it so much more better.
Drdriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 22:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

This is quite shocking and a major fall from grace for Tata. I think this thread should be tweeted to Mr Ratan Tata. The Nano was his baby and while things did not go as planned, he still might be able to step in and help
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 22:16   #39
BHPian

Sourcing parts for TML Cars that are out of production, is becoming extremely difficult.
I have faced spares issue for my Nano AC condenser fan and escalated the issue to TML, once via email and once via TML Twitter handle.
Each time Procedure of handling such case is very simple
1. TML representative Raise an escalation ticket and assign the ticket to vehicles last serviced centre/ or the service centre you request.
2. Service centre executive gets one negative rating for unsatisfied customer.
3. Service centre try’s to convince you to close the ticket ASAP, and give positive feedback, so that negative rating is removed reasoning “positive closure”

The convincing act starts even before they start the work on your car. (They very well know they can’t start the work on the car as they don’t have the spares. ) priority here is to close the ticket.
If the customer is adamant and ticket is not closed Executive handling the ticket receives negative customer satisfaction scores resulting, in loosing their monthly incentive.
Don’t remember the exact target number 5 or 10 such cases for that month the CRM handling these executives also takes a hit on his monthly incentives.

As per one of the service executive (who handles my cars service for over a decade), TML is not supporting ASC with spares and whenever there is escalation the service executive gets negative rated and resulting in loss of % of incentives.
Hence they avoid old cars and always eager for new model cars.
Whenever I call him for service appointment he takes time first checks the spares and calls me to leave the car. Else refuses stating no spares will arrange from other outlet which will take time. Promptly calls back once spares are arranged.

Probably in this thread starter case ASC have take a step further and created a nexus to stop the customer at the gate. I am guessing other ASC might take note of this and might use similar strategy.

Whenever i visit ASC I have noticed not one Indica or Sumo (owned by taxi segment) in the Service centre bay, not sure where they are getting those vehicle serviced.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 1st June 2023 at 22:19.
arvindmanju is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 22:34   #40
BHPian

Nano being given second hand treatment is one thing, I can't believe that Tata thinks that owners of Hexa (and even Zest) can't afford a small premium on OEM parts & servicing!

I used to think that a company is liable to maintain serviceability of a car for upto 12 years after its discontinuance. If there's no such rule, then it's truly a travesty and people should really consider only buying successful cars and ditch ALL cars that aren't "successful", irrespective of their merits (Edit : Especially if it's a Tata).

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 1st June 2023 at 22:43. Reason: Added (Edit : Especially if it's a Tata).
WorkingGuru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 22:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
3. Service centre try’s to convince you to close the ticket ASAP, and give positive feedback, so that negative rating is removed reasoning “positive closure”

If the customer is adamant and ticket is not closed Executive handling the ticket receives negative customer satisfaction scores resulting, in loosing their monthly incentive.
Don’t remember the exact target number 5 or 10 such cases for that month the CRM handling these executives also takes a hit on his monthly incentives.
This is called NPS (Net Promoter Score) in the service industry. A higher NPS score is a measure of good customer service so to speak. During the days of Concorde Motors (owned by Tata), one of the service managers called me to express his displeasure of me rating them an 8 and said he would lose his incentives for that month.
kesh4munni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 22:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't generalize this to all tata cars. Thanks to boodmo, I've not faced any major issues finding parts for my indica till now. Hopefully it stays that way!
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 02:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
2. In case you have observed, the parts used in a Maruti-Suzuki vehicle is pretty much same in all the models (Swift, Baleno, Brezza, Grand Vitara, Fronx etc). If you sit inside the car it will be Deja Vu.

Downside to the above point is over time they have not upgraded. Also, you sit in a 5-6 lac car or 20 lac car the internals look the same. Upside is you will have spares for eternity
I agree with this observation. This is OT but I just had to mention this - When my A-Star was serviced at Bimal Auto in Bangalore last month, I'd asked that they service the car in front of me with me being present throughout the entire service.

During the service, when the car was lifted along with other cars in neighbouring service bays, I'd noticed that the size of the discs of the front disc brakes were visually the same size for the A'Star, Baleno, Swift, Swift Dzire, Brezza etc.

Now, I've driven (and continue to drive) different cars, both hatchbacks and sedans so I know that the brakes on my A-Star are sharp and just adequate for this size of car. But I really don't think that these discs should be used on larger hatchbacks or any type of sedans or compact SUVs. The stopping power will surely be compromised. And this is not something cosmetic but actually compromises the safety of heavier vehicles in which such small brake discs are used.

Last edited by sydras : 2nd June 2023 at 02:29.
sydras is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 08:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Not the scene here in Noida. Got my 2018 Nano XTA serviced in April.

As far as servicing goes, I have not faced any issues. Can't really say what will happen if and when a rare part is required.

Was looking at the TMSC app to see again what all parts were changed. Sharing the screenshot here.
Attached Thumbnails
Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service-screenshot_20230602_084406_tmsc2.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2023, 09:16   #45
BHPian

I too heard (not sure if this is true) at Bangalore that TML has issued a directive to Tata authorized service centers older Tata cars like Sumo, Sumo Grande, Indica, Indigo, Nano, Bolt, etc are not to be serviced and focus on latest cars - Tiago, Altroz, Tigor, Punch, Nexon, Harrier & Safari.

Looks like they are focused on catering to new vehicle customers rather than old vehicle owners. May be due to new gen vehicles selling in large volumes they have issues with service capacity and it makes more business sense to take care of them rather than those owning out of production cars.

This practice is ethically wrong but they have their priorities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks