Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2023, 14:43   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
This is going to hurt TATA in the long run. Updates and refreshes every 6 months will help in sales, no doubt. But when the customer starts to feel the pinch in their 6th year of ownership, you can be rest assured that they will think twice before buying a Tata again. Already there is a huge impression that Tata parts are hard to come by, given the numerous revisions and continuous improvement that the models go through, making spare parts availability and stocking a problem. Heck, I have seen a guy from the local TATA service centre waiting to buy an OEM wheelcup for the Manza at one of the bigger independent spare part shops.
This is my another worry as we have Altroz DCA also with us and I'm not sure how many years would this model run.
Mine is Dark Edition and I hope it's not limited edition.

All those Kraz, Kaziranga, Dark, Dark Red, Camo variants owners will need to worry if they have parts specific to variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
No matter how much we bash Maruti for selling unsafe cars, lets face it, no one can beat Maruti when it comes to fuss free ownership (am not a Maruti fanboy).
Advantage MSIL is they use the same parts from the same bin across their most of their range.
We have Alto Xcite 2007 model and we have not faced any problem. Service quality and pricing is another topic but yes, parts never an issue and we are shooed away from premises.
Altrozed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 15:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Mine is Dark Edition and I hope it's not limited edition.

All those Kraz, Kaziranga, Dark, Dark Red, Camo variants owners will need to worry if they have parts specific to variants.
Leave parts, my buddy got his Calisto Copper '19 Harrier touched up twice, both times using TATA official paint, yet they couldn't match the stock paint. So can only guess about special editions.

I believe within one year, Tata had changed the electric seat controls in the Safari, God knows what else they had changed as part of improvement, yet fail to follow up with parts support.
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 17:30   #18
BHPian

Thank goodness I stumbled upon this thread. I've been searching for a small, compact car for daily use to commute to the office. I was considering a used Nano AT, but after reading this, I'm definitely not going to go with it.

Tata really needs to improve customer service at their dealerships. This kind of experience shouldn't be passed on to the customer, especially considering the fact that the car is still being talked about and praised by many.
raptor_diwan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 17:44   #19
BHPian

My Nano had brake issues and the service center took over 2 weeks to get the parts. They replaced the wrong parts, and I was left stranded on the road on 2 occasions. There was another delay of a few weeks. The car was not running for over a month.

The service center said that the labor prices for the Nano repair tasks were too low to justify the efforts. Hence, they are usually reluctant.

I have worked closely with TML and I totally believe that there’s an unofficial word to reduce support for older cars. This way, customers would be forced to upgrade and their older cars can retire or be scrapped.

I really wish that everyone who considers a TML product seriously reads this thread as this is what you would face when your car is a few years old. Pay a bit more and buy a car from some other brand that does not believe in abandoning customers with unreliable products as a business growth strategy.
Nissan1180 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 19:09   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These two problems are not the same, even though both deserves concern. Regarding the Nano, I bet its something to do with the supplier situation where the suppliers would have also dumped Tata due to their strategic failure with the Nano. When the Nano was planned to be launched, Tata motors roped in suppliers giving them assurances of huge orders which compelled them to keep part costs low in he foresight of higher volumes. But when the car didn't sell, suppliers didn't get the required volumes to be sustainable. Hence there was lot of friction with them. If this were not the case, the suppliers would have continued producing the parts in small batches to support after sales. And given the model didn't sell well, even producing small batches would not be viable with less cost. This is even considering the fact that the Nano had very less diversity across variants and IIRC had three variants in the first version and a bit more later.

Coming to the other issue with respect to special editions this is an issue with Tata motors itself and not suppliers. I had mentioned about it a few days back

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If they get more versions, then it would be something buyers should watch out for in the long term. Finding parts would become a nightmare especially with lots of colour combinations and minor changes. Instead it's much better if they bag all the required updates, launch a minor face-lift once 3 years or so with a model change every five years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Yes, speak about product consistency and we know where Tata belongs in this list It will be a supply chain nightmare a few years down the line.
The same suppliers would have been asked to produce these special parts and while the quantity would be less, due to the overall order volumes the suppliers would provide these parts. After that, its upto Tata to somehow maintain inventory of these non running parts before they close the deal with the supplier. If they have done this, then somehow it can be sourced when needed. But if they don't have inventory, forget a back order for these special edition parts.
audioholic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 19:56   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post

I have worked closely with TML and I totally believe that there’s an unofficial word to reduce support for older cars. This way, customers would be forced to upgrade and their older cars can retire or be scrapped.

I really wish that everyone who considers a TML product seriously reads this thread as this is what you would face when your car is a few years old. Pay a bit more and buy a car from some other brand that does not believe in abandoning customers with unreliable products as a business growth strategy.
So the nexus is just not between service centers but from parent company itself. I have no words to add more.
I didn't hear anything from the center since 2 days. I will follow up and know what parts the car is demanding now.
The car is brilliant and has no open issues apart from regular maintenance. There is one intermittent issue of steering getting locked when driven over a pot hole or speed breaker at a speed.

Not sure about brands but TML needs to improve a lot in this area.
Will I dump TML due to these issue in future ? In all probabilities, yes. I have an Altroz with extended warranty of 5 yrs and I'll focus on its retirement
Altrozed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 08:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

I've three cars in my garage that are no longer in production- Gypsy, Omni and a Tata Venture. There are absolutely no issues in spare parts for the Marutis, as we all know. It's just that some of Gypsy parts, the Suzuki Genuine Parts(SGP) are very expensive.

I bought the Tata Venture almost an year ago. Soon after, the car was sent to Tata authorised service, the commercial division, for hell lot of preventive maintenance and lot of spares were changed upon my behest. My experience has been surprisingly good. The mechanical parts were in stock and the ones which were not available in the dealer inventory, they placed the order and parts were received in 4-5 days.

I did some homework when I half decided to buy it. I learned that Venture shares most of the parts with their successful mini truck Tata Ace. The van itself was derived from Tata Ace. While hunting in the pre owned market, I happened to check out around 6-7 of them before zeroing in on this one. I had spent considerable time with each of those owners and they all had talked about ease of spares availability owing to parts sharing with Ace. This was a very big factor in spares availability since Aces have been sold quite huge in number and they're still serviced by Tata. Some specific parts like door trims, switches, sliding door mechanisms etc is still a concern though. Even those parts with the right contacts can still be sourced.

As many have pointed out in the posts above, Nano being a unique product in Tata stable and hence does not share parts with any of their other models. This is the sole reason coupled with other factors has led to this situation which OP finds himself in. It's very disheartening indeed. It's a bit of pain these days in maintaining the cars that are close to one's heart.

It's very valid and evident, from many ownership reviews and other posts on our forum, the below points.

- One can't have an unpopular, discontinued, flopped model as their primary car.

- Expected downtime for sourcing parts are huge and hence be prepared.

- Need to have the right and multiple contacts in the spares market.

- A trusted, experienced and a reliable FNG to take care of all the hassles above.

I eventually found one such garage, referred by my friend, for Venture maintenance. It just came couple of days back after a visit for few running repairs. Though it's 70 kms away, it's worth the hassle. I still buy parts from Tata whenever needed or the garage themselves buy the OE parts from the market. Here she is after a wash. I love the car and enjoy driving it very much. But it comes at a price - time, effort, patience etc. I've also attached few spare part lists which i've bought from Tata. Double click on the images to view in readable format.

Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service-20230531_120300.jpg

Having said that, I know of owners who are still maintaining their Safaris, Pajeros, Hexas, Fords etc in immaculate condition. All of that takes effort and patience. Just couple of months ago, a close friend in the circle bought a well maintained 2013 Safari Storme. And two days back, a friend called in to say he wanted a 2-2.5 lakh car for purely city run abouts and we were contemplating Nano Twist AMT. We even considered the ev Nano(Tata Jayem Neo) . Now with this thread, the idea has to be nipped in the bud.
Attached Thumbnails
Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service-screenshot_20230601_083039_samsung-notes.jpg  

Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service-screenshot_20230601_083114_samsung-notes.jpg  

Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service-screenshot_20230601_083124_samsung-notes.jpg  

Unofficial gag order by Tata service centers on the Nano in Hyderabad | Refusal to service-screenshot_20230601_083147_samsung-notes.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 1st June 2023 at 08:40.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 10:04   #23
BHPian

I think the reluctance from TATA Authorized Service Center to service the car is not just limited to Nano. They don't entertain servicing any of the discontinued model. I faced this with my Manza in 2020 when I wanted to change the Brake cylinder. I seldom went to TASS to service my Manza post warranty, but the part was not available in FNG so went to TASS. They straight away told me that it will take them a month or more to get the parts and I better source the parts online somehow and get it serviced from outside !! This was one of the trigger (not the only one though) to sell the car.
sreerknair is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 10:33   #24
BHPian

Though not faced this issue as a refusal from Tata service centres in Bangalore, last year (July2022) faced a peculiar situation.

I used to regularly take my Nano XT 2015 to KHT motors Whitefield.

Last year when I called couple of days in prior for service slot, they advised to take the car to a different service centre called Kropex Motors, which I hadn't heard of till then.

This is relatively unheard of! I mean, c'mon what industry asks a potential customer to goto their competitor !?

To add to it - the experience at latter service centre was very underwhelming. They treated the biggies - Safari/Harrier/Nexon/Altroz/Tiago etc. with due importance, but my humble bug was sidelined, service quality was sub-par, quite dissatisfied.

Didn't know it was a precursor to this situation OP recounted

Guess I'll have to rely on the FNG, fingers crossed they must have access to the necessary spares in case need arise!

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 1st June 2023 at 10:35.
KrisTvpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 10:38   #25
Team-BHP Support

Tata is doing so well against legacy headwinds in creating great designs and decent products that are finding more and more mass appeal. Their newer products, specially EVs are getting a good foothold and response from clients.

Lack of support for older models will be a huge NEGATIVE in customer perception for the brand (rightly so) and if they stop such support, they’ll be missing the wood for the trees in building their overall brand reputation.

Tata needs to address this - pronto. Even if standalone it does not make sense, in the larger picture it does. Agree with some here - massive negative social media noise on this is the way to go.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 10:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
Please move this to relevant section if this doesn't qualify here.
We have a Nano XT 2015 make with very less running. We regularly get it serviced once an year at Tata Service centers only(Hyderabad).

We have now observed that the service centers have an unofficial understanding among themselves of not to take Nanos for any sort servicing as the spares aren't being manufactured at the Pune plant.

We have literally begged them to take the car for service as we usually don't get it at garages and prefer authorized service centers only.

They have taken a signature that we don't make any noise if the spares aren't available in due course of servicing and would take the car back without the spare being replaced.

Our Nano doesn't has such any specific problem but from what I heard, even air filters , brakes and other regular maintenance spares are also not available with any service center.

Also, the bigger problem is that the Nano doesn't share much spare parts with any other Tata Car and an out of production car causes much more inconvenience .

Did any other existing Nano owners in twin cities faced this problem ? If yes, please advise how and where to get the car serviced ?

We don't have any plans to get the Nano sold off and would retain it as long as it can run.
Spare parts availability for the Nano is an issue. I have a 2016 Nano AMT and here in Kolkata, i am facing the same issue.
However the Tata Authorised Service Centre where I visit in Kolkata are very proactive and in case any parts are not there they make an effort and get it from alternative sources, even from dealers in other cities.
I have also started a "Nano Parts Collection" from Boodmo and keep picking up parts and stockpiling them.
Let's see how far I can sustain. Problem is my daughter, (she's all of 7), and exactly the same age as our Nano loves the Nano to bits and has threatened us parents, me particularly, with dire consequences, if I even think of selling the Nano!
arjab is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 12:30   #27
BHPian

After reading this thread, I tried booking for a service for my 2016 Nano XTA in Kropex Bangalore. They readily accepted the booking and also offered a pickup and drop. Its scheduled for next week, shall update once it is done.
the.dogfather is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 12:53   #28
BHPian

My Safari DiCor 2008 is still serviced by TATA authorized Service - when the Corcorde was alive , then it was Lakshmi TATA in ECR all these years. The usual annual service parts - Engine oil filter, Diesel filter, air filter and other odd items are available off the shelf.
Engine timing belt, water pump and the pulleys are available too as of now. Only thing is they are reluctant to service Safari DiCors. Parts availability shouldn't be a problem for Dicors and Storms. May be I will order some parts and keep them in stock - except for rubber components as I intend to keep mine for a few more years.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 14:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.dogfather View Post
After reading this thread, I tried booking for a service for my 2016 Nano XTA in Kropex Bangalore. They readily accepted the booking and also offered a pickup and drop. Its scheduled for next week, shall update once it is done.
This is how things are!. The odd case here and there are exceptions like this thread. Escalate using the right channels if you get such responses and get the job done. In India, you need to know how to get your job done!.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 14:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Our Nano doesn't has such any specific problem but from what I heard, even air filters , brakes and other regular maintenance spares are also not available with any service center.

Also, the bigger problem is that the Nano doesn't share much spare parts with any other Tata Car and an out of production car causes much more inconvenience .
I have faced problems of unavailability of spares with my Indica ev2 even while the car was in production. So I am not surprised.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks