Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2023, 15:03   #1

Bad experience at Volkswagen JP Nagar | Ignored by salesman once I shared my budget

I recently had a very bad experience at the Volkswagen showroom in JP Nagar, Bangalore. I went in with the intention of checking out Taigun.

I was greeted by a salesperson who seemed friendly at first. But as soon as I mentioned my budget was around 12 Lakhs ( with some flexibility ) , his attitude completely changed. He stopped talking to me and seemed uninterested in helping me.

I was shocked and disappointed by this behavior. I had heard good things about Volkswagen and their customer service, but this experience made me reconsider. I left the showroom feeling disrespected.

In all honesty I was not aware of the exact price of Virtus and Taigun before I entered the Showroom.

All my interactions with other brand dealers like Maruti, Tata, Hyundai and Honda have been really pleasant. Their agents were really trying to Help me decide. Wanted to see if this is something that happens commonly in all the Premium brand dealerships.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd January 2023 at 10:18. Reason: Minor typo.
vamsi_k_b is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 20:40   #2
BHPian

re: Bad experience at Volkswagen JP Nagar | Ignored by salesman once I shared my budget

This is specific to the VW JP Nagar - the sales team are not of much help even after booking and needed frequent follow-ups on status etc.

I had quite the opposite experience with Skoda/ VW Whitefield - they did not ask for my budget nor were imposing when I asked for details. In fact, I was asked to take the Test Drive before even discussing formalities/ process to proceed further.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 12:56   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad experience at Volkswagen JP Nagar | Ignored by salesman once I shared my budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi_k_b View Post
I was greeted by a salesperson who seemed friendly at first. But as soon as I mentioned my budget was around 12 Lakhs ( with some flexibility ) , his attitude completely changed. He stopped talking to me and seemed uninterested in helping me.
What an idiot . He doesn't know that he could (potentially) convince you to buy a 16-lakh car or that, when you are shopping for a 40-lakh car after 10 years, you'd go back to him if he gave you excellent service.

That being said, if you like the VW Taigun, by all means go for that only. Don't let a salesperson put you off the brand. A related thread from me (Had a bad sales experience at a dealer? Please do NOT eliminate the car model because of that!). You have to live with the car for 5 - 10 years, not with the salesman. And anyway, salespersons come and go.

If you do buy the Taigun, buy it from another salesman at the same dealership (will be the ultimate comeback), or from a different VW dealer.
GTO is offline   (82) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 13:11   #4
BHPian

Re: Bad experience at Volkswagen JP Nagar | Ignored by salesman once I shared my budget

Quote:
..All my interactions with other brand dealers like Maruthi, Tata, Hyundai and Honda have been really pleasant. Their agents were really trying to Help me decide.
There are so many salespeople and shockingly such few of them good at it or trained for it. Assume this must have been one of those.

But I shall tell you about an experience I had with Hyundai once - I recall wanting to measure the Creta interiors between the front doors. I went with the intention of actually test driving the Creta and wanting to judge for myself why buyers were willing to wait months for it. To my utter shock and dismay, they refused to even talk to me and pointed out to a board that had on it wait times listed for all Hyundai vehicles.
Newtown is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 13:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I really dislike this kind of ‘budget-based-discrimination’ on the part of these showroom execs. After all, if they were all so smart and talented, wouldn’t they have a bigger work responsibility?

Brings to mind these lovely YouTube videos of the Porsche ads. Our service industry in india is pretty good overall. But these car dealerships need to invest more in attitudinal training. Inculcate passion for the customers and serving them.

shankar.balan is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 13:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. But as soon as I mentioned my budget was around 12 Lakhs ( with some flexibility ) , his attitude completely changed. He stopped talking to me and seemed uninterested in helping me.
He didn't even mention the price of the Taigun? Should have escalated the issue at the showroom itself. It is not as if VW has a plethora of models above 25 lakhs for the SA to be so haughty.

Visit another VW showroom (aah, the perks of a metro city) in Bengaluru and try out the Taigun. A random idiot shouldn't stop you from purchasing what could be the car that you really want. And if at all you go to the same showroom, make sure to raise a complaint against him.
DicKy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 14:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was shocked and disappointed by this behavior. I had heard good things about Volkswagen and their customer service, but this experience made me reconsider. I left the showroom feeling disrespected.
I believe Bangalore got more than one VW dealer in the city. If your mind is really set on the Taigun, maybe visit an alternate dealership, and get the car. Do make sure to go back to this arrogant dealer/salesman and inform him that you got the same car from a better dealership.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 14:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

It could be just this particular salesman. I had been to this showroom many times and they accommodated (even sent test drive car to home) test drives even when I told them that I am merely exploring and don't have immediate plans to buy the car.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 15:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I recently had a very bad experience...... happens commonly in all the Premium brand dealerships.
I had a somewhat similar experience. I went to a VW dealer right next to my house and I went there in hawaii chappal and a stubble on my face. The salesman refused to talk about the vehicle and staunchly refused to give any discounts even the the Vento was being discontinued (I am talking about July 2021). He did give me a test drive, though.

What I did was, I went to a different dealer, bought the vehicle but asked him to deliver it at the showroom near my house. That was my way of getting back at them.

And I agree with GTO. Do not let this bad experience impact your vehicle choice.

Travelwriter
travelwriter is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 16:45   #10
BHPian

The salesman at VW Whitefield was amazing when I went there to check out Polo. Without even asking, he insisted that I take the test drive. I was not even serious about buying Polo (I was more interested in Ford Freestyle), but I was sold after the test drive.
I think it is an individual problem not the issue with the brand.
cryptarchy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 16:59   #11
BHPian

This happened to me at the VW Showroom on Hosur Road, Bangalore way back to me in around 2009 for checking out Polo. I almost waited for 20 mins and no sales person came to me, I went to the reception gave them a piece of my mind and ended up buying a Hyundai i20 and ended up buying 3 Hyundai cars post that.

However good your brand or product is, a bad sales person makes you change your attitude towards it thinking how would you be treated by after sales or you end up with some issues with your car.
VNair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 11:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
It's truly their loss. Just move on from that dealer to another, and let them know the reason. You never know, they might even offer some discount. You anyways don't have to interact with the sales team after the purchase.

Try Apple Auto Whitefield. Even if it's far, you only need to visit there a few times until you get your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post

I had quite the opposite experience with Skoda/ VW Whitefield - they did not ask for my budget nor were imposing when I asked for details. In fact, I was asked to take the Test Drive before even discussing formalities/ process to proceed further.
Huge +1 to that.
I have purchased my car from Apple Auto and been servicing it there ever since. Only time the budget or financials were brought up, was when i met with their Finance guy.

Even now, when I go to for service, they offer test drives if I want, even though they know I'm not going to buy it. In fact when the 1.0 TSI of the Polo GT came out, I mentioned I wanted to compare the engines, and the sales guy took me out on a proper long test drive just for the heck of it.

This has made sure I go back to them if I'm ever in the market for an upgrade.
GrandTourer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 14:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I don't get this. As per the VW India site, the Taigun starts at ₹ 11,55,900, which was well within your budget. Sure, you might not have bought the high end model with all the bells and whistles, but the salesperson could have definitely made a sale.

Even if you had walked into a Ferrari showroom with the same budget, a good salesperson, would have still be helpful, by putting you in touch with say a finance company.

Anyway, I wish you the very best in getting the wheels of your dreams. Best of luck
RedTerrano is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 15:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you do buy the Taigun, buy it from another salesman at the same dealership (will be the ultimate comeback), or from a different VW dealer.
Fully agree. When I was not treated not so well by Mahindra salesman when buying Marazzo, I did something similar. Ensured I booked the car through another salesman in a different showroom of the dealer. Then requested to get it delivered from showroom of ill treating salesman. Grudgingly he had to handover the keys at time of delivery
Bullfrog is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 16:23   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Probably a short sighted salesman incapable of thinking about the larger picture or even not aware of the ABCs of sales.

Volkswagen sales and service are typically inconsistent. So don't let that deter you. Go to another dealer, or visit again and talk to another salesperson.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks