Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2022, 12:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen opens first dealership led by women in Coimbatore

Volkswagen has inaugurated its dealership run by a team of women in Tamil Nadu.

Volkswagen opens first dealership led by women in Coimbatore-94030903.jpg

Ramani Cars is located at Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore. It is run by more than 35 women who handle sales, after-sales, customer care services, test drives, housekeeping, security and other operations.

With this initiative, Volkswagen aims to promote women’s talent and promote diversity among the automotive workforce. Its female-centric approach is expected to provide an exclusive and confident environment for the brand’s increasing female customer base. The carmaker hopes that more women would take up jobs in the automotive retail space in India.

Thanks to Gomathi for the heads up.

TusharK is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 12:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen opens first dealership led by women in Coimbatore

Yay!! Misandry going mainstream after Tata and Ola. Personally I wouldn't do any business with companies like that. Even Iphone manufacturing in India by Tata will be made exclusively by only women and Tata have started recruiting 40,000 women for it. I think I'll pass.
Sran is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 19:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Alright let's see how this showroom compares to their other showrooms after a year or two. I am curious if this will get more prospective female customers into the showroom because this feels more approachable to them. If it succeeds, then we can be sure to see a lot more dealerships doing the same.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 20:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

A very encouraging move. Good for women customers and for much needed change of attitudes in society as a whole. I am reasonably sure this team will do well. I really wish them luck and Godspeed in this endeavour.
V.Narayan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 01:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Women all over the world complain about the attitude of male car sales people.

So this team should be in an excellent position to attract more female customers.

In my experience women make for great sales people and negotiators. (Except for themselves).

Women make up 50% off the world population, but cars are most often sold by and bought by men? Why? Women (often) have very different thoughts about what they want from a car. And what they want from a sales person. Vice versus, female salesperson versus male buyer is not a problem at all. All female can out argue and out reason any guy. We don’t stand a chance.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 05:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Why? Women (often) have very different thoughts about what they want from a car. And what they want from a sales person. Vice versus, female salesperson versus male buyer is not a problem at all. All female can out argue and out reason any guy. We don’t stand a chance.

Jeroen
This funny and spoofy ad just seemed relevant here.

shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 07:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Volkswagen has inaugurated its dealership run by a team of women in Tamil Nadu.
I don't think this is a brand new showroom.
Ramani Cars Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore already exists which has notched up a 4.3 rating after 2531 reviews.

Volkswagen opens first dealership led by women in Coimbatore-ramani-cars-mettupalayam-road-coimbatore-1.png

Volkswagen opens first dealership led by women in Coimbatore-ramani-cars-mettupalayam-road-coimbatore-2.png

Anyway, the coming months will demonstrate how effective this marketing strategy actually is.
Best of luck to all the ladies. They successfully landed a rover on Mars. I am sure they will stand out and shine here as well.

PS. I hope they are not thinking of some woke strategy as in the case of this cafe in Australia.
Quote:
The 'man tax' paid at this cafe is to highlight the disparities in pay scale. The male customers are expected to pay a surcharge fixed at 18 per cent but it's not compulsory. The additional cost is levied only once a week, per month.
https://indianexpress.com/article/li...-cent-4784091/

Quote:
A vegan cafe in Australia that charged men an 18 percent premium to reflect the gender pay gap with the funds given to charity is to close, its owners said on Thursday.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1S10TZ

Last edited by RedTerrano : 30th November 2022 at 07:38. Reason: Typo
RedTerrano is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 08:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Good initiative, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong here or with Tata recruiting all women. It’s a fact that even today, especially in some non-metro areas, families have problems in sending women to industries or elsewhere. Such a “women-only” workplace is going to bridge this gap.

But I don’t see male customers or even kids in this video

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th November 2022 at 08:34.
Turbanator is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:50   #9
BHPian

OK, sales people, customer service, test drivers etc. But what about the service centre? Any female service advisors or techs?

Quote:
PS. I hope they are not thinking of some woke strategy as in the case of this cafe in Australia.
Quote:
The 'man tax' paid at this cafe is to highlight the disparities in pay scale. The male customers are expected to pay a surcharge fixed at 18 per cent but it's not compulsory. The additional cost is levied only once a week, per month.
https://indianexpress.com/article/li...-cent-4784091/

Quote:
A vegan cafe in Australia that charged men an 18 percent premium to reflect the gender pay gap with the funds given to charity is to close, its owners said on Thursday.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1S10TZ
Said cafe has shut down if I remember correctly because they did not have enough female customers to sustain them and the male customers obviously did not give them their custom becsause of said wokeness.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:57   #10
BHPian

I don't find anything wrong here. Many may find it a great initiative. But for me, as long as they do the work effectively, we can call it a success. That's what gender equality is. As a customer, it is totally irrelevant whether ladies or gents will run it. What matters shall be the quality of work.
igemini is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Yay!! Misandry going mainstream after Tata and Ola.
Misandry? How so?

I personally wouldn't want to go to VW or Tata, because their cars' ownership has generally been stressful, in my family and friends circle.

If women SAs could do their jobs well, why not hire them?

In fact, I would think more sales advisors should be women in certain dealerships. The car purchasing decision is no longer just a male thing. There are several ladies who buy cars for themselves, or have a major say in the car purchase decisions. I hate the instances of mansplaining by the SAs when there are women customers checking out cars.

Recently, my ma did not like the Honda City red colour and preferred the red of the Maruti Brezza. The Honda SA laughed it off and said: 'You should buy a car for the engine, madam, not for the colour' and then proceeded to ignore her and talk to me only. My ma was offended, just that she did not say anything. I mean, why should she not dislike a car because of its colour, if she's the one who has to be driven in it regularly?

Now, I'm not saying that all male SAs are chauvinists, not at all. Just that the possibility of women SAs instinctively understanding women customers' needs is more.
Small Bot is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:43   #12
BHPian

Disappointed. I don't know how women don't feel insulted for being rewarded just simply because of their gender!

If pseudo-feminist bias(/misandry) goes mainstream, fabric of society will degrade.

Employ any proportion of women: men, but do it for their genuine merit, not to simply tickle woke senses.
WorkingGuru is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 10:16   #13
BHPian

Women's train coaches, reservation in parliament, dealerships with women there are countless such instances where the privilege is given to the women which is exactly opposite to what most women want. Not only this is counter to what equality stands for but is a bit demeaning to the men out there who wish for equality. A society where one gets equal opportunities irrespective of what gender one is from is a better way forward. No way I am questioning the skills of the workers employed but it would have been better if both the genders were employed irrespective of their gender.
kaak009 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:00   #14
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Even before this endeavour, Ramani Cars enjoyed a reputation.

It is likely that men will perform manual labour and communicate with VW India among other tasks (spares & tech support).

There is no doubt that this will encourage women to choose VW if they decide to buy new cars.

Last edited by RGK : 2nd December 2022 at 11:10.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Yay!! Misandry going mainstream after Tata and Ola. Personally I wouldn't do any business with companies like that. Even Iphone manufacturing in India by Tata will be made exclusively by only women and Tata have started recruiting 40,000 women for it. I think I'll pass.
Yes it's "Misandry" when a dealership is mostly women in an industry with 85% men. It's ok when a dealership is all men but it is "wokeness" when it's all women. That's when the "equality" suddenly starts to become an issue.

Also it's pre assumed that the dealership just hired random women and the quality will "drop" because women know nothing about cars. Because women obviously cannot have a career history in the automobile industry that the dealership would have looked for.

I love this forum but it really needs to accept that the automobile industry is not just for a single gender.
Bluengel180 is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks