Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 21:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Dealers charging for tissue box and paper mats

In the last ~5 years of my Fiat service, I have never got any tissue box (or anything at all) for free. In fact, I didn't even know that service centers used to give it for free. I had to buy one once by paying Rs.80 or so.

Anyway, when it comes to Fiat, I should actually be happy if they don't misplace or damage any parts from my car and make me pay for it or if the parts that I pay for last a reasonable amount of time without going bad in under 5-10% of their expected service time.

This COVID sanitization charges thing is another way of increasing their revenue. They stopped carrying out all these measures wayback in 2020, but still continue charging for it.
Old 29th January 2022, 23:33   #32
BHPian

I had a similar experience with Maruti Authorized service center in Pune, don't remember the name, its the one on JM road. It was about four years ago and I had given my Brother in law's Wagon R for servicing (40000 km service I think). It was a normal service with no complaints in the car and the first time I had given any car for servicing. I was expecting a bill of around Rs. 4000.00 but was charged more than Rs. 8000.00. I had been using motor cycles till then and so was a bit intimidated by them and and hence didn't think of arguing with the service advisor, although I was shocked by the amount. Even today I remember that I Had been charged for a myriad of services, none of which had been put up to me for approval and all of which had been done by the service advisor on their own whim it seems. We all have to learn some day I guess.

However, my experience with Toyota has been quite different. I have been to Toyota Showrooms in 4 cities, and have always been pleasantly surprised. The SAs have never tried to shove something on me and I have never had to discuss a bill with them. It seems, they always under promise and over deliver. Even in these COVID times, they have never put any incorrect items on my bill (like sanitising charges, etc).

Due to this experience, I want my next car to be a Toyota. Mods, if my post is off topic, I request you to kindly delete the same.
pareekvirendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
I can add one related and one slightly off-topic.
  • Honda was trying to charge me INR110 per wiper for installation, not product, just labour.
  • Also, the cost of the tiny rear wiper for my Honda Jazz was something around 1700 while the total of two front wipers was less than that. I am talking about the premium one with solid plastic cover for better aerodynamics that came only with Honda Jazz and Accord.

Attachment 2266065
During my north India trip, I stopped at Raj Vehicles (Mohali) to replace my XUV's wipers.

XUV5OO front wipers cost, 1100 ish.

Official labourer charge to replace them - Rs 450 though it's only 2 minutes job.

Being a guest of their town, Raj vechiles, Mohali replaced them as goodwill gesture.
dicor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 10:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Ford dealership asked Rs. 500/- for fixing a set of new wiper blades (5 min activity), citing as the minimum labour for any job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
XUV5OO front wipers cost, 1100 ish.
Official labourer charge to replace them - Rs 450 though it's only 2 minutes job.
I am feeling happy in a very weird way. At Rs 110 Honda seems to be the least atrocious of all.
Old 2nd February 2022, 00:17   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I was charged Rs 80 for tightening of all 5 wheel nuts of the wheels of my 2015 Hyundai Creta during it's 1st Free Service.

Try beating that.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 08:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Try beating that.
I had taken a friend's D390 for changing its RVMs to the ASC. They refused to sell it off the shelf but asked to bring the bike in, the mechanic tightened the 2 bolts to put the mirrors in place and handed me the bill with ₹108 as labour charge IIRC. Since the billing was done couldn't do much.

I narrated this to my friend over the phone and he said that when looking for parts on a D390 first check if Dominar has a compatible part, if yes then buy it and get it fixed by a mechanic if you can't do it yourself.
If its a KTM specific part then bite the bullet.

Lessons learnt
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 09:23   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Doesn't end there, while cleaning the car over the weekend - I found these thrown in the glove box. To be frank, makes me laugh rather than be angry on this! This was a new low from Hyundai service.
I guess they were promoting DIY culture with the owners

Hopefully they dont keep the service parts in the boot next time. Check it at the workshop itself, else you may have to do the service yourself at home.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 10:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I thought this was happening only to me.

I had once dropped the car for accidental repair and was already upset that for no fault of mine had go through an insurance claim. On delivery the body shop had billed not 1 not 2 but 5 of their screen wash - 2 of which were added in the washer tank and 3 were placed in the glove compartment.

All I did was took out all the vex built-in after the accident on the ASC. and relieved myself.
Its after this incident that I specify what needs to be done on the car and ensure its mentioned in B&W while handing over the car for service.

Now the ASC is so familiar with the car and me that they don't give me any offers and just do the regular service.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 11:18   #39
BHPian

Got my Innova recently serviced for the scheduled 140k kms service. The SA gave us an initial estimate of 11.8k + taxes. Then I made him remove all the unnecessary add-ons like A/C disinfectant, car sanitisation, interior mechcare package and wheel balancing. The bill dropped from 11.8k to 7859+taxes.

Additionally when I went to collect the car I made the SA remove wheel alignment as it was mentioned it would be free in that particular dealership if the vehicle is serviced on a Sunday and also got 10% discount on Toyota Connect app.

What was funny to me was the labour charge of ₹222(₹148 for front and ₹74 for rear) for changing the wiper blades.

Anyway paid ₹7999 including taxes and the bill would've been 5.5k had I not got the Wipers replaced.

And also as always was billed ₹70.80 for 2 pouches of washer fluid concentrate with one in the car and one spare pouch kept in th glovebox.

Last edited by Shanksta : 9th February 2022 at 11:23.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 11:22   #40
BHPian

Perhaps I am an outlier on how I feel about this, but I don't see why they should 'not' charge for it. Most business houses are cutting down on costs wherever they can in whatever way they can. They have to squeeze every cent in order to satisfy their ultimate bosses (ie) the share holders. Charging for a service not rendered or sub-standard service is bad, but charging for goods that has been sold to the customer is not wrong IMHO. Having said that, it would be unfair if Skoda did not update upfront that these consumables are chargeable or if its forced on the customer.

My brother was recently charged 900 Rs by Hyundai A.S.S for sanitizing his car in the name of pandemic. This was done without consulting him and he did not even bother to notice it in the bill. I happened to note his car had a lot of gooey stuff oozing from its various orifices and when I pointed it out to him, he called the service center who mentioned it was the result of the sanitization process. We had to spend a weekend and another 500 rupees to clean the yucky stuff out.

Last edited by SR-71 : 9th February 2022 at 11:25.
Old 9th February 2022, 12:04   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Then came the bigger shock. Another member shared that this was nothing and better than what Maruti does.
I'm only shocked, that you were shocked . I have been paying for those useless paper mats at reputed MASS since 5 years. You are also charged for "cleaning cloth" etc.

Not just that - Sai Service MASS in Pune - throws in 2-3 windshield washer pouches in the glove-boxes, that the customer doesn't notice & hopes that the customer won't see it in the bill. (I will also clarify that the washer soap is not bad. Its quite good at the job.)

Then - they also throw in an el-cheapo perfume tin like Glade lime etc. and charges you for that. This - when I specifically tell the SA not to add any of the above items as I won't be paying. Nevertheless - I spend time after bill printing, in getting the stuff & charges removed from the car. If this is what Maruti charges to an Alto owner, may god help those with NEXA cars.
Found a good FNG nearby (that claims of being MASC), and now have settled. Never visiting SAI SERVICE again.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th February 2022 at 12:07.
Old 25th February 2022, 17:43   #42
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend gave his Nexa car for the first service and final bill was around 500, here's the estimate they gave him, check out the items

Dealers charging for tissue box and paper mats-img_20220225_174010.jpg
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks