Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2022, 14:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Dealers charging for tissue box and paper mats

It is quite disheartening to see many VW-Skoda stories on this. Yes, happened to me too with my Vento
It was my 5th year service and was handed an initial quote of 17k which I approved. Paid at the end of the service without bothering to check as it was around the estimate. I usually use pick and drop service and when I saw the hard copy next day, realized that they made the decision to eliminate some items from initial estimate and added Rat Repellent, Car Disinfection, Engine compartment clean worth of 4k. Since I had already paid, you can imagine the back and forth on this. Yes, I take the blame here of not checking before I paid, but this is clear case of taking advantage.
Jangra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 16:55   #17
BHPian

I remember that till 2-3 years ago, I would always find a new tissue box after service. This is even the old box was only half empty. But this has stopped of late and I also don't ask.

But yes, there is always the need to check the bill closely to avoid getting sundry charges for cleaning, washing, spraying something or other. I make sure to tell them upfront nowadays that if they do something on their own without adding me, I'm not paying for it.

Yes, this nickel and diming has increased for sure.
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 17:04   #18
BHPian

I can add one related and one slightly off-topic.
  • Honda was trying to charge me INR110 per wiper for installation, not product, just labour.
  • Also, the cost of the tiny rear wiper for my Honda Jazz was something around 1700 while the total of two front wipers was less than that. I am talking about the premium one with solid plastic cover for better aerodynamics that came only with Honda Jazz and Accord.

Name:  Screenshot at Jan 28 170114.png
Views: 341
Size:  1,009.2 KB
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 17:07   #19
BHPian

Back there in 2019, I did pay Rs. 32/- for water at a Hyundai Service centre in Chandigarh. I just don't know if it was the water I drank from their dispenser or water they added to the windshield washer. The battery was replaced just a week back, so battery water not possible and I denied for that windshield washer pouch too. Thought to stay silent for my own peace of mind though.
Trying to find that invoice and will share if I get it.
vgaquarius is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 18:22   #20
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Then came the bigger shock. Another member shared that this was nothing and better than what MAruti does.
I have been to MASS thrice since pandemic began and they (same ASC, same SA) waived the charges for these (about 300 for sanitizing and the plastic covers on the seats/steering/gear knob) every time.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 18:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

In my last service (Fiat Linea) at PPS Bangalore, I was charged for plastic cover on the seat and labor charges (Rs.150/-) for replacing Windshield wipers.
When I asked them why the wiper clip-out & clip-in has to be charged, they had no answer.
finneyp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 19:07   #22
BHPian

Contrary view here. We, the customers pay for everything. Therefore I would rather be billed than get a freebie which I am sure is coming out of my pocket anyway. As the old saying goes- there are no free lunches.
MadinMumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 19:19   #23
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
Honda was trying to charge me INR110 per wiper for installation, not product, just labour.
Also, the cost of the tiny rear wiper for my Honda Jazz was something around 1700 while the total of two front wipers was less than that.
Ford dealership asked Rs. 500/- for fixing a set of new wiper blades (5 min activity), citing as the minimum labour for any job.

Quote:
Yesterday moderator Manson sent me his Skoda Laura service bill to do a once over to see if anything was unnecessary and whether prices looked in line.
Now the service charges are treated as the "Cost To The Company(Dealership)" model .
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 20:05   #24
BHPian

Car makers market competitive periodical maintenance costs when they advertise & promote the car, and since that leaves little room for extra add ons that service centers can't always include, ASCs try their tricks to extract every possible rupee that they can from a customer, knowing fully well that most people wouldn't spoil their mood for charges ranging from ₹50-150-3/400 for things like seat pplastic, Windshield washer fluid, tissues, water etc.

You'll even come across SAs who will try to befriend you simply so that they're not hassled with clean careful work & you start trusting them & allow for slack, until one day you might be in for a rude shock as to how the car service workmanship was not actually all that great.

Loyalty with service advisors doesn't really translate to good service. Ensure to thoroughly inspect & check things while giving the car as well as taking delivery.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 21:01   #25
Team-BHP Support

The most absolutely ridiculous thing I've been charged for by a dealer? A few hundred rupees by a BMW Motorrad dealer for use of a paddock stand during service.

Same dealer also charges 2% for card payments.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 22:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread, makes me feel better that me and MSIL aren't the only ones in the game.
Anecdotes and puns below

Let me introduce all non-MSIL folks to the lucky charm(similar to dahi-cheeni for good luck) of MSIL dealer workshops albeit you're charged for it(17/sachet):
Every time, without fail and across dealers I have received two of these even after explicitly warning them against it : Ecstar Screen Wash Concentrate 50ml

Credits to Providers : MSIL
Name:  ecstar_swc_ms.png
Views: 355
Size:  163.3 KB

- The first instance it was added to the washer container without asking, not an issue.
- Second time I pointed out to the pickup-drop guy that the tank didn't have it but I was billed, he opened the glovebox and out came the 2 lucky charms so MSIL teaching us to DIY I guess.
- Third time I gave the car for running repairs, the washer tank all blue with the just topped fluid and pointed it out to the pickup-drop guy. So I thought I had found a way but the 2 sachets were billed again and on asking the driver he said they should be in glovebox and checked, they weren't!
Then he pulled off a stunner, told me that they would've drained the fluid from the washer tank and then added the 2 sachets, I burst out laughing. He realized that he had crossed his limits and then asked me to talk to the SA and he can offer a complimentary wash. I just handed him the money and that was the last time me or the car ever came in contact with that ASC.
- Fourth time using a SOW(Service On Wheels) service from another dealer, everything was fine but at the end the guys pushed the 2 sachets towards me since the tank was already full. I set them aside but found them again on the car. At this point I realized that it isn't just a screen wash fluid but a lucky charm from MSIL to us and accepted with a smile, who can say no to dahi-cheeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I found these thrown in the glove box. To be frank, makes me laugh rather than be angry on this!
Please don't be surprised when in the next visit you receive a dirty car and a rag inside the glovebox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I am still very happy that they are generous enough not to charge for these items and give them free to customers
Seems fine but you missed adding mechanic's and SA's lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Wait until you hear what I was charged for at the VW stealership.
Measuring Charges
Aptly named, stealership.
This is unique, probably measuring the car fluids ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
Renault Service Active Motors at Sector 63, Noida charges Rs 15.00 for spraying disinfectant liquid car door handles/your hands (3 small dabs from a dirty bottle = Rs 15.00)
Wow, Renault is at the top of their game. I was wondering why I haven't heard of "sanitization charges" then I saw your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The most absolutely ridiculous thing I've been charged for by a dealer? A few hundred rupees by a BMW Motorrad dealer for use of a paddock stand during service.
This is the crème de la crème of all the examples I have seen. But BMW Motorrad has a history of innovation riding behind it.
Please don't refuse it else they might charge you man hours for 2 blokes who held the bike in place.

Last edited by shancz : 28th January 2022 at 22:48. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 10:12   #27
BHPian

Going against the grain, the Maruti service centre in Delhi’s Naraina (Maruti Service Masters owned and operated by Maruti) used to give out snacks’ coupons to all visitors before the pandemic. You could opt for a cup of coffee or tea and savoury snack like patties or samosa.

Had no idea about this on my first visit and just when I paid for my samosa and coffee, the SA came with the coupons and I was immediately given a refund.

However, the generous offerings are no longer being doled out since Covid happened as the pantry has been shut.
captain.torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 13:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:

What is some of the silly charges you have seen on your service bills?
In hospitals, medical staff's gloves, sleeper and a litre of sanitizer every day. It's not just me, it was charged to every patient. Looks like they were changing footwear as they were moving to another patient.

In service stations, perfume bottle, protective covers, valve caps, wiper washer fluid.

For full list, please read my full thread on experiences of servicing in small town.
dicor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:19   #29
BHPian

Honda is no less !!

Post covid Honda ASC service centre’s are charging sanitisation charges of 250 rupees.

Our Jazz was sent for bumper repair and since we clocked 9000+ kms I asked the service guys to finish my regular 10000km service too.

Job was done and I went to pick up the car. Now the surprise I was charged 250 rupees twice as service and body shop works are invoiced separately.

I had to literally explain the service guys that it was the same car and they can’t charge me twice for sanitisation.

Finally I was given a discount of 250 rupees after the service manager was called to explain my concern.
VALLURIS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 17:05   #30
BHPian

If you think from a business point of view, then I think it is ok to charge for services/products. What I don't agree on is that when it shoved down your throat and expect to be paid for it.

I remember this friend of mine started a fitness oriented program outdoors, he thrust a tee shirt each in our hands to wear it for a photo op. Later during the day he says we have to pay 1500 bucks for the tee. I was like, we're not informed about it so I don't like being forced to pay. Of course, being the nice friend that I am, I said ok and paid him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks