Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 14:51   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire

Got these pictures in a WhatsApp group, sharing the same.

Some 50 cars have been lost.

Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire-4f2d1690aee14b798b2f9097e5de72cc.jpeg

Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire-d8d33d9d53934d2fa3e510a26c7dea92.jpeg

Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire-494f1dc3c5c742dc804cf225637f8307.jpeg

Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire-a9c25fb1329c40c6b4e472a00088c4b5.jpeg

Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire-8dbf39c1fd934efca6da8e0588eb1bc9.jpeg

Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire-81f8cbe44fd649bbb6e050d046fca1f0.jpeg

Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire-36dcb53440254702aedba1c374df45ae.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Got these pictures in a WhatsApp group, sharing the same.

Some 50 cars have been lost.
Legal, commercial, arson discussion aside - very peculiar to note from the pictures right upfront - no fire tender on the site (where the pic was clicked) even when the flames seem to have reached significant heights, and while somebody seemed to be clicking these pictures right from the initial stages till the time the fire was put out

Whatever the investigation results be, hope the dealer has insured the assets properly.
Going to be a messy affair.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 21:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

Apparently a major fire broke out at BMW Service Centre Turbhe and several cars were charred. Really unfortunate.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXLeoBw...dium=copy_link

This is a related WhatsApp message going around.

Infinity workshop burnt to ground
Dozens of BMW cars & entire store
(spare parts of BMW, Mini, Porsche,
Lamborghini, RR) turned into ashes

Hope no BHPians had their car at Turbhe. This is the last update off Infinity’s insta page with the designated contact point’s number given.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXLnsMjv...dium=copy_link

Really unfortunate loss of property for both the dealership as well as the customers here. Thankfully and most importantly, no loss or injury to life. Infinity was my “go to” service centre for BMW and in particular the Turbhe facility which I repose a lot of faith in because a fellow BHPian leads the charge there. Really feel for the Infinity team, who’ve always provided me excellent support - massive project at hand for them I suppose and wonder when they’ll be able to get this entire space back up and running.

Lots of different types of insurance claims procedures will play out here. For those who do not have an RTI / zero dep etc kind of policy it is obviously a huge immediate hit.

Several important things will emerge in the coming weeks I suppose:

1. Whether the general business insurance of Infinity can provide any additional relief to customers would have to be seen. Off hand I doubt that should / would be the case - I would imagine that would provide Infinity alone relief against its loss with individual vehicle insurance being the sole relief for customers.

2. Would BMW India make any extraordinary gesture for these people to buy a new BMW car, many of whom will have a direct financial hit in their total loss claims.

3. Turbhe was the most significant facility of one of two dealers in Mumbai. What knock on effect it has on customers of affected brands to service their cars will have to be seen (BMW / Mini I suppose mostly).

4. Any impact on immediate availability of spares for Mumbai customers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aditya : 8th December 2021 at 06:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Axe77 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 05:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India

Had my car at the Lalbaug workshop yesterday. My SA informed me there were no casualties - which is the most important thing. Hope there is adequate insurance cover here - don’t want Infinity going under or car owners taking a financial hit.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 10:56   #5
BHPian

Really glad that there were no casualties whatsoever. Ive been giving my bimmer to this workshop for the past 8 years and will miss it till its up and running again. Ive always seen Lambos and Astons here so can't imagine the state of those who lost their cars here.
Old 8th December 2021, 11:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good thing is no lives were lost. I have been around the dealership numerous times and to see the entire thing burn down is pretty nasty. But again, materialistic things are nothing compared to our lives.

Coming to the point of there being no fire tender on the spot at the time of the incident, I think it would be safe to assume that there would be security personnel on site and they would've immediately called the fire department. This somewhat makes me think that the fire escalated pretty quickly from the start. Also seems like this fire started from the 1st floor.

What is more interesting to note is that there are people right at the front of the property as the first (presumably) ball of fire comes out of the center. Arson or no Arson, hope they were suitably insured.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 8th December 2021 at 11:17.
Old 8th December 2021, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
"thermal incident"
Seriously, which PR idiot decided that we don't call it a fire, we call it a "thermal incident"?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 12:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Seriously, which PR idiot decided that we don't call it a fire, we call it a "thermal incident"?
Yeah it looks like they decided to word it carefully instead of simply calling it "We had a fire breakout in the facility"
Old 8th December 2021, 12:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Fire at BMW godown - 45 BMW cars burned to a crisp

Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire-1.jpg

Quote:
A fire broke out in a BMW warehouse at Turbhe MIDC Plot No. D-207 in Navi Mumbai, destroying 40 to 45 vehicles.
- via PipaNews
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 14:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fire at BMW godown - 45 BMW cars burned to a crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
PipaNews[/url]
Infinity BMW’s Workshop in Turbhe, Navi Mumbai catches fire-navimumbaibmwfire5.jpeg

From the same article a sad sight of some of the premium offerings. Some cars in the pictures are missing the doors and bonnets which have completely melted down.
SnS_12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 15:43   #11
BHPian

Re: Fire at BMW godown - 45 BMW cars burned to a crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Attachment 2242902

From the same article a sad sight of some of the premium offerings. Some cars in the pictures are missing the doors and bonnets which have completely melted down.
It looks like a graveyard, for cars. Very sad to see those majestic cars reduced to their skeletons.
How does the insurance work out in these cases? For each customer his own or would there be an overall coverage from the garage?

Last edited by careind : 9th December 2021 at 15:44.
careind is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 19:00   #12
BHPian

Really sad for the owner's who lost their cars in the incident.

Navnit motors Thane workshop did put my car's engine bay on fire and it purely was the technician's mistake. I was watching this happening and told the guy not to do what he was doing, and as usual, a strong stare followed by, "zamaane se kar raha hoon" and a then a fire in the engine bay. All the technicians were standing like mere spectators.

I called for an extinguisher and we could extinguish the fire in the nick of time. a few blisters on rubber and plastic parts which they replaced for free.
The incident however was never reported to Maruti-Suzuki.

Post that, I always look for the location of the nearest extinguisher to the bay where my car is being serviced.

Once I saw a good number of German cars at Antwerp cargo terminal, which were affected by excessive heat from a fire in a car carrier's adjacent cargo hold. Mostly the paintwork and tyres were mildly affected and the cars were selling for 3000 euros each.
Brumby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 22:07   #13
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post

Navnit motors Thane workshop did put my car's engine bay on fire and it purely was the technician's mistake.
Curious to know how did it happen. Pls mention.
Old 10th December 2021, 22:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Curious to know how did it happen. Pls mention.
I had reported low fuel economy issue after last service and they were rigging up some home made equipment to run my car on 1 litre of fuel.

The technician disconnected the fuel hose from the tank to the engine and there was a hand lamp connected to the battery terminals with loose contacts which were giving out electric arc intermittently.

Some amount of petrol was coming out from the hose and was evaporating from the surface of the engine components and the floor, at which point I told him to stop whatever he was doing, he did not listen to me and few seconds later I saw the engine bay of my M800 (5-speed MPFI Bharat II) on fire.

I called for bringing an extinguisher, and the fire was extinguished. The whole car was covered with the DCP(dry chemical powder).

The manager came immediately with an apologetic face and sent the car for washing, an inspection was done and areas which needed attention were identified. Remedial action was taken, however replacement of a few parts took about a month.

A trial run with 4 persons including me was done after the repairing the items which required immediate action.

Manager requested me not to report the incident to Maruti Suzuki. Post that incident I never ever went to that workshop, but I do look for location of fire extinguishers in the service centers.

Believe me, none of the service centers, be it Mercedes, BMW Audi or a Maruti Suzuki is well equipped to handle such incidents. Finding a worker in a workshop who can confidently operate an extinguisher is rare. Except for running out to save your own life, what action should be taken in case of fire is probably known to only a few.
Brumby is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks