Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How has your Cars24 experience been?
Positive 83 23.25%
Neutral 85 23.81%
Negative 189 52.94%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2019, 09:51   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The process is fine and they are reasonably professional. They do take time to Inspect and stuff.

But end of the day, being dealers, and dependent on the franchisee network, the kind of third rate low ball offers they give are downright insulting!

Absolutely, I think they might be good at regular cars from Maruti/ Hyundai that moves fast going by experiences of others. In the recent past, we have got 3 cars evaluated. You fix up an appointment and they do a thorough check. All of the offers were extremely low, as an example 730-LD - 2015 - with 19000 km - signature edition - we were offered 25 lac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The offers are insulting, but they sell third grade cars at unrealistic price. I could not find any car worth its price in their inventory.

Maybe they are left with whatever they could not resell to the dealer who originally bid? or some other reasons? Wasn't their business model based as a sort of online dealer? rather than an old car dealer who buys, stocks and then resell?

Quote:
So given what you have just stated above,
does this go to mean that people like me who felt very upset at their cheap low ball offers, end up selling their cars privately or to someone else?

I am not sure if they have actually started keeping stocks of the cars they buy. In past, they were simply charging some commission and sell to the dealer who has bid the highest or at least that's what I understood. Don't be surprised if you get a call from a manager from this company who will offer to get a better offer given the condition of your car in the near future. That might add a few thousand. Like a guy called me and introduced as a senior manager and how he can get me a better customer for 26 lac or so instead of 25 lac that they originally offered

If you have decided to sell your car, do consider posting at OLX. There will be few genuine guys looking at OLX always.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 14:42   #227
BHPian

I was looking to sell my 2012 Fluidic Verna 1.6 VTVT SX and had visited one of the Cars24 centers in Bangalore a few days back. My Verna was maintained reasonable well. I used to get all periodic services done by Hyundai authorized service centers, mostly Trident Hyundai. A Cars24 employee did a detailed inspection of my car - the process took close to an hour. I got the bids (their app showed 83 bids) in another 45 mins or so. The highest bid was lesser than what their website was showing for a car in "good condition". I did not like their offer and walked out. I was particularly unhappy with their report showing a red cross mark for most of the exterior areas of the car, citing there were small scratches. I'm sure it wouldn't cost more than Rs.10000 to fix these small issues. They kept calling me for another 2-3 days promising a small increase in price every time and assuring me I'm getting the best price for a "BS4 petrol vehicle in low demand with 55% depreciation on ex-showroom price". I sold my car to a team mate in office for a higher price which was good for both of us.
sidhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 17:02   #228
Senior - BHPian

Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhegde View Post
The highest bid was lesser than what their website was showing for a car in "good condition". I did not like their offer and walked out. I us.

Absolutely right. I have had exactly the same
Experience. Incidentally after they gave me a bid on Saturday, I got an sms today from them stating my car should go for a significantly higher price.

But this is merely a marketing gimmick to inculcate interest.

Even if I were to show them that SMS they are not likely to acquiesce.

So in my book, to the Devil with these Cars24 and Olx Cash my car chaps.

Better for me to keep the car for a little longer and then give it to someone who will appreciate it rather than to some stupid low ball offer.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 17:07   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
does this go to mean that people like me who felt very upset at their cheap low ball offers, end up selling their cars privately or to someone else?
That is exactly what happened in my case. They quoted a stupidly low price for my pristinely maintained 2012 Swift. I refused and walked out and refused to entertain their many follow up calls.

Four months and a calendar year later, I get almost a lakh more when I sell the same car (with more kilometers on the clock) to Honda in exchange when picking up my new car. Their prices are downright nonsensical.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 18:35   #230
Senior - BHPian

This post is prompted by what I am going through currently.

Nowadays when one upgrades say to the latest iphone it is better to give one's old iphone to someone within the family and upgrade them too.
Better than exchanging or selling it considering the third rate prices one gets.

Very much the same thing is happening in the car world.
So I guess the trick is to follow any of the following things:

A: Keep your new high end car for a very long time and extract the maximum juice from it by driving it nicely and using it solidly until it becomes say 10 years old and by then price-stabilises at some 25% of its original purchase price on account of depreciation. And by then you wont care too much if you are offered these kinds of insulting offers. So you can either sell it or offer it as a cool project car to some youngster in the family who is equally enthusiastic about cars and who may appreciate your gesture. (If someone had been as kind to me when I was in College, I would have been over the moon.).

B: Buy only a utilitarian mass market car which is guaranteed to fetch you a pretty good resale price whenever you decide to sell it onwards. Doesnt matter really as to when you decide you sell it because anyway it is a mass market car and will tend to hold its value much better.

C: Buy a cool or high end car that your heart desires but go for one of those car leases with a guaranteed residual purchase/ buy back value at the end of 3-4-5 years - Of course this means you do have a high disposable income or you are a Company owner who can get tax and depreciation benefits so you can do more or less what you like.

D: Follow your heart. Buy and enjoy whatever car tickles your fancy most. Use it well, maintain it decently but dont be 'over-conscientous' and spend too much money unnecessarily on it. And then steel your heart and let it go at whatever general market price or 'residual value' you are getting,at the end of say 7-8-9 years of usage. And just dont think and agonise about it after that. (This also argues that youre likely a pretty well off guy so the heartache and hurt will be less when you encounter those insulting offers when you're out to sell.)

Basically the lesson is to practice 'emotional detachment' and not get excessively attached to what is after all a material possession and highly depreciating asset. Use and enjoy it while it is with you and dont worry yourself sick when the time comes to part with it.

I am rather displeased at the present moment.
The ONLY reason Im even considering selling is because I want a luxe AT hatch (second hand).
I would appreciate a reasonable price for the car I am selling but am not inclined to sell it for these dirty little el cheapo sort of low ball offers.
I would rather probably try out this AutoMate Technology as recommended by nsbhagwat which I ve described on the Yeti thread and keep my car for a longer while and then follow the method D as outlined above from now on ( even though Im not really a 'rich' guy) until say another year or two, because by that time I would have stopped caring so much!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th November 2019 at 18:43.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 19:35   #231
BHPian

A colleague recently sold his 11yr old Swift zxi, with over 135K km in the ODO through OLX. Here is a quick summary of the process he followed.

Step 1. Visited Cars24 and got the vehicle evaluated. Got a quote for 1.25lakh
Step 2. Got a wash and wax & interior cleanup done from a nearby detailing place. cost about 1.5K
Step 3. Changed the old upholstery and put in locally sourced seat covers + steering cover for about 3k
Step 4. Car freshener for 200
Step 5. Click a bunch of pics and upload in OLX. He was careful not to share his personal number, as most of the callers are just fishing for your details and will add your number in some or the other ad list.
Step 6. Communicate with the interested buyers via chat feature in the app, and those who appear to be genuinely interested, were invited to come and check out the vehicle at a reasonably public place during the day.

He sold off the car for 1.95 lakhs in less than a month of his 1st visit to Cars24, for almost 50% more than what he was initially quoted.

So the idea is to get a quote, add approx 50-60% markup and put it up for sale leaving a bit of room for negotiations. The only flipside is that it will take a bit more time, and you will have to ensure the ownership is transferred once the sale has completed. But this "hassle" is not worth 50% of the cars resale value, which is essentially what Cars24 offered
EvilZombie is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 11:29   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably yes, what other options a seller has, if he does not own a Swiift, Alto or Wagon R.
Old 15th November 2019, 11:57   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had my 2011 model Yeti Elegance evaluated at OLX Cashmycar yesterday by going to the nearby outlet and by Cars24 today by having a home inspection done.

The process is fine and they are reasonably professional. They do take time to inspect and stuff.

But end of the day, being dealers, and dependent on the franchisee network, the kind of third rate low ball offers they give are downright insulting!

Just like any other person on this planet, I think your love for your Yeti (very understandable) is clouding your judgement of what it is genuinely worth on the open market.

Yes, the Yeti is a truly wonderfully capable vehicle. BUT, you are selling it in India, where it was a "failure" model, and has the Skoda A.S.S. network reputation pulling it down. The Yeti will not move quickly. A very select band of enthusiasts appreciate that vehicle in India, and that is your target market. So your best option is to either sell into the mainstream dealer network at a low price (do this only if you are pressed for time) or take your time selling privately via personal contacts/social media/classifieds and get the right price.

Any car dealer wants to do 2 things:
1. Move stock quickly
2. Get a decent mark-up on purchase price

Any mainstream dealer will offer you what you consider an "insulting" offer because he is factoring in how long it will take to move that car off his lot, and money tied up will cost him money as well. For a dealer, the Yeti is a high-risk purchase.

You really should not have approached Cars24/OLX CashMyCar at all, and saved yourself both the time and emotional turmoil. You came to this conclusion in the end - after some heart-ache - but if you had read the first few pages of this thread, you would have found a lot of other members also coming to the same conclusion.

I sold my Figo to Cars24. I will most certainly not approach them to sell my S-Cross 1.6.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 12:53   #234
Senior - BHPian

@ Thank you KiloAlpha for articulating the turmoil superbly.
And yes indeed, I am in no hurry at all so am happy to wait for a good straight private buyer who will appreciate the vehicle and what it brings to the table.
Worst case I will buy whatever other car I want, keep my Yeti and wait as long as needed for the Yeti to go to a proper good home where it will be treated with affection. Who knows, I may even keep it for another year or two...

I say, To the DEVIL with all these el cheapo low baller blighters in Cars24 and OLX.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th November 2019 at 12:55.
Old 17th November 2019, 21:21   #235

Quote:
This post is prompted by what I am going through currently.
Totally agree with the views. Had a terrible experience with 'Cars 24' and 'Olx Cash my Car' recently when I was planning to sell my Yeti. And finally when I did sell to an individual buyer, got double the price of what these corporate mafia had quoted.And it was in line with my expectations.

Also, I personally feel that they have created more pain in the used car selling/buying eco system than bring in efficiency. In fact they have added another layer of margins and have also made dealers become less transparent. (Most of the them claim that the cars on sale are parked by the owners and they work on commissions of 2% while in reality these are cars picked up from Cars24/Cash my Car. And if you insist that you want to speak to the owner before making a decision, they get one of the guys to go behind the premises and make them speak as a customer

My suggestion would be to find a direct buyer(may take a while) who will pay the right price! Of course, this means patience while selling. The risk of ownership transfer can be taken care of by insisting on transfer formalities to be carried out by the seller itself. Over the years I have sold multiple cars and in each case I got a trusted agent do the ownership transfers. (Paid for by the Buyer). In fact this is non-negotiable item for me.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th November 2019 at 17:58. Reason: Please refrain from quoting a long post in full. It inconveniences our mobile users.
Vipinprasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 17:01   #236
Senior - BHPian

I got a clean 100Grand more than what Cars24 and OLX quoted.
And frankly I just let it off because the buyer was a nice chap and an enthusiast and indeed I was pleased with the way he drove/ handled the Yeti, its quirky clutch and its gearbox.

The entire documentation transfer and fresh insurance process is also done and dusted with the help of a trusted agent whom I know.

So thats that.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 17:32   #237
BHPian

Just sold my Bangalore (KA51) Alto 800 Vxi (O) - 2018, with just 7700 km on the Odo to Cars 24.

I had purchased it as a daily commuter vehicle after having just moved in Bangalore. Cabs were highly unreliable and Buses were dangerous because using them required me to walk ~1km on footpath less Bangalore roads (BG road, to be specific).
I wasn't confidant being able to sustain Bangalore's traffic so didn't get a bigger car right away.

Decided to sell the Alto 800 because I felt I need to upgrade to a safer car to be able to take trips outside Bangalore with peace of mind.

I had purchased it for 3..95L OTR in Bangalore and the selling price to Cars 24 was 3L - 4.5k fee (which included 1180/- instant transfer charges which I never opted for).
As per my calculations the car costed me roughly 18-19 Rs/km, which is just a bit more than what I'd be okay paying for the convenience over (unreliability of) cabs.

They had initially quoted 2.54L (and then raise to 2.75L). My target was 3.2L, so I basically decided to look for exchange with whatever model I ended up purchasing. Exchange would have had an added benefit that I'd not have to be without a car for my daily commute. After having cancelled the plan completely, I got a call from Cars 24 that they have someone willing to purchase for 3L, at what time I decided to finalize considering selling would be a load off my mind and exchange rate would not be a factor in my next car purchase. Although as per my relatives/friends, I might have pushed for 3.2-3.3L considering the condition of the car (no dents, perfect service record, no modifications).

I feel neutral about the overall process. The key is to know that they under-quote a lot, leaving a significant room for negotiation. I am sure a better negotiator than me would have been able to get a much better price. Not wanting an instant transfer is also something you have to be vary of.

Last edited by crodjer : 1st December 2019 at 17:51. Reason: Removed excessive blank lines.
crodjer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 20:57   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
Just sold my Bangalore (KA51) Alto 800 Vxi (O) - 2018, with just 7700 km on the Odo to Cars 24. I am sure a better negotiator than me would have been able to get a much better price.
Going by the price you got, gives me the feeling that these guys offer decent prices for makes of Maruti/Hyundai and also for fast moving models at used car dealers. A lot of entrants into the four wheelers usually look at picking up an used A segment car for learning before upgrading. The prices that were offered for my Skoda Yeti left me fuming!
Old 5th December 2019, 08:07   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipinprasad View Post
Going by the price you got, gives me the feeling that these guys offer decent prices for makes of Maruti/Hyundai and also for fast moving models at used car dealers. A lot of entrants into the four wheelers usually look at picking up an used A segment car for learning before upgrading. The prices that were offered for my Skoda Yeti left me fuming!
I think so, yes. Easy resale was one of the reason I got this car as my Bangalore practice car. My target was to do 10k km and then sell, but I wasn't able to reach there fast enough.
crodjer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 06:35   #240
BHPian

Sold our hyundai i10, 10yr old car, bangalore registered, 55000 kms, the deal as done in 24 hrs. Hassle free and was very professional and smooth.
G-One is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks