Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 23:04   #1
BHPian

Bad Experience with Rama Motors, Delhi

This thread may be an ALERT for all the BHPians / guests dealing with RAMA MOTORS, Okhla, New Delhi - 20 to get their TATA vehicles serviced.

The practices being followed at their workshop are totally unethical. They are CHEATING their customers like me, who leave their vehicles behind, on a trust that their vehicle will be handled properly with utmost care.

Being a Safari lover, for more than 10 years, I finally made a plan to buy a Safari. I initially booked my Safari with HIM Motors, Patparganj in April 2012, but the Sales GM of the dealership sold that Safari (2011 model) to some other customer with less discounts (as compared to my offer). That's different story altogther. Anyways, I bought my dream vehicle i.e. TATA Safari Pearl White (Ex) model from RAMA MOTORS in May 2012. And since then I had faced so many issues with respect to delivery as well as servicing.

This problem is related to the change of lock set in my Safari. At the time of delivery of my Safari, I was given only one remote and one key. There was no spare key and no spare remote. I was told that Safari comes with only 1 remote and spare key they have lost. I was advised to go and get a duplicate key made in Rs 50 at road side vendors. But I insisted upon getting the same key because I can not take a risk of my vehicle getting stolen with that key. So after 3 months of telephone calls to RAMA MOTORS and then escalating the issue with the Regional Manager (Dhaneesh Sharma), nothing could be achieved. I then sent a mail to customer care (customercare@tatamotors.com), then I was offered a complete lock set changed at the dealer workshop.

I wanted to start a new thread under initial ownership section but RAMA MOTORS have left no other option but to expose their practices here. So here is the incident happened with me last week:

Summary

•Rama Motors provided me single key with single remote at the time of delivery of my dream vehicle i.e. “Safari Ex” on 18th May 2012.
•After so many mails and telephone calls to Rama Motors for more than 3 months and finally a mail to TATA Customer care, I was offered to get the complete lock set and security system changed. Because Rama Motors accepted that they lost spare key and spare remote before delivery of the vehicle.
•I visited the workshop with “prior appointment” on 14th Sep (10:30 AM), in person but the work was not started even after waiting for 2 hours so I had to leave.
•I got the Safari in the evening with 2 keys and 1 remote.
•No Job Card was opened, no invoice was raised and there was no gate pass made during this process.
•After taking the car back to home, I realized that the lockset is NOT changed.
•I have been provided with 2 keys (Rs 50 each) made at roadside vendors and a car wash was provided free of cost. This is because I was advised the same by Rama Motors staff to get such keys in Rs 50 from such vendors when I initiated this complaint but I insisted upon my original keys as my vehicle will be prone to theft if the lost key is not found.
•Now my Safari has 4 keys: 1 lost by Rama Motors, 1 with Rama Motors, 2 have been given to me.

For details please read further:

Details

After raising this issue with Customer Care (TATA), I got a call from BHOOMIKA CHOPRA (Asstt. Customer Relation Manager-Service - Rama Motors) on 30th Aug. followed by an e-mail on 1st Sep. Since I was busy for the next 2 weeks, I called Bhoomika on 13th Sep and she advised me to get my Safari picked up by sending a driver but I insisted on visiting the workshop on my own. I got an appointment at 10:30 AM on 14th Sep. Next day again I got a call from Bhoomika and she advised again to send a driver but I refused the request again.

I visited their workshop on 14th Sep at 10:30 AM to get the whole lock set replaced. There was no job card opened and the Safari was taken directly inside the workshop. I was advised by Bhoomika to leave as the getting the lockset changed will take more than 2-3 hours. Also the mechanic who was supposed to work on my Safari was busy in some other vehicle. I asked her that what's use of taking an appointment then? I was advised either to leave or wait in customer lounge, which was in their Sales area i.e. away from workshop. I did wait for 2 hours and still no progress was made with my Safari. Raised this issue twice with Bhoomika but she told me that the mechanic is going to be free very soon and then he will start working with my Safari.

Since it was getting too late and due to other prior commitments, I left the workshop at 12:15 PM. And I suppose this was the MISTAKE done by me. In the afternoon (02:30 PM) I called them and I was told that the Safari is ready (complete lockset changed) and it is going to the washing section, which they are offering as a complimentary gesture. After another confirmation I visited the workshop to take my Safari at 5:00 PM. I was given 2 keys with one remote control of the new changed lockset. When I asked about the second remote, I was told by Bhoomika that only one remote comes with Safari. In the end I was allowed to leave the workshop without any gate pass and without any invoice. I asked them about the same but she told me that since it was their mistake and everything was free of cost therefore NO NEED of any invoice. I told her that Invoice could contain zero amount but she refused and after checking all the locks with new keys, I came back. I had also sent Bhoomika, a mail in the evening to provide me the second remote but still there is NO RESPONSE from her.

After coming back I realized that the ignition lock looks like old because of existing scratches which are caused while inserting key in the ignition key hole. I checked other doors (including rear door) and I could feel that no door panel was taken out to fix new locks. The central lock system (below driver seat) was also the same. Also no warranty card and the "Emergency Disarming Code" for new central lock system were provided to me.

I visited again on Saturday but Bhoomika was on leave and nobody else was able to reply on this issue. Sunday is a weekly off. Finally I am able to meet her today (17th Sep) in the morning at 10:15 AM but she is adamant that the whole system was replaced. When I asked her to show me the old key and remote, given by me before changing, she refused as she doesn't know where the old key and remote are lying now. As per Bhoomika, they must have been lost or sent back to Tata's (Pune / Mumbai) as they don't keep such articles (under warranty) which are taken out from customer vehicles.

I raised few queries (given below) with her, but she was not able to reply.

My Queries

1.Why No job card was opened?
2.Why I was forced to wait for more than 1.5 hours even after taking and confirming an appointment at 10:30 AM?
3.Why there are scratches on the ignition lock?
4.Why the central lock system not replaced?
5.Why the second remote not provided?
6.Where is the guarantee or warrantee card for the new system?
7.Where is the new Emergency Disarming Code for the new central lock system?
8.Why an Invoice was not raised?
9.Why a Gate Pass for the vehicle not issued?

My Observations

Such workshops are already known for such cheatings and I was also advised by TSK1979 (via PM) to remain present during such exercise. I was offered a driver to pick up my Safari and then I was also advised thrice to leave the workshop as the mechanic was ‘busy’ with some other vehicle even after fixing an appointment for my Safari. I was made to wait and then after frustration and other commitments, I left the workshop and this whole exercise (changing new lockset) was deliberately done in my absence. They are not ready to show my old key and remote which was given to them on Friday morning because they know that I will test that key by opening my Safari with the old key. They may have changed the cover of the old remote but the keys have been made in Rs 50 each and lock set remains the same.

There have been lots of problems being faced by me since the day I took the delivery of Safari. I was also not provided the extended service/warranty coupons, mud flaps, tool kit at the time of delivery of Safari. Also the address in the debit note was different. It took 3 long months and multiple visits to showroom to get these things from Rama Motors. I had raised this issue with the owner of the RAMA MOTORS but unfortunately nothing could be done. May be he is not aware of the practices being followed by his team.

I have to travel 50 kms (to and fro) to visit Rama Motors each time I have any such complaints. And in the past four months, I have lost lots my precious time and money in this process.

I have written this complaint to customercare@tatamotors.com also and told them that until this lock set is changed, and in case of any vehicle theft, Rama Motors Pvt. Ltd., Okhla, New Delhi-20 shall be held responsible for the same.

Please advise me HOW TO SECURE MY VEHICLE NOW?

Lesson Learnt: Please do NOT get your vehicles serviced in your absence at any TATA workshop.

PS: They provided me a complimentary CAR WASH but now I think it was an EYE WASH!

- Irish

Last edited by Irish : 18th September 2012 at 23:10.
Irish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 00:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: RAMA MOTORS: Delhi - CHEATING Customers

The safari comes with 2 remotes. I am not sure of the central locking can be reprogrammed. So they have to replace the central locking unit + lockset.

I suggest you email to customer care that you have not gotten second remote, and when will they supply the same. They can supply the same only after replacing the entire unit.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 00:35   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Its so disgusting to read about cheating in car dealerships allover our country. These places are run by a bunch of swindlers. Its common knowledge that people get cheated every now and then, even on simple things like oil/filter changes. Its shocking and alarming that they get away with this. Its so bad out there that i stopped going to an authorized service center to service my bike as well as car. I guess its time we had a honest service center directory, like the good petrol pump thread. But wait a min is there such a thing like a honest service center.
heavy_foot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 08:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad practices and short cuts by dealer ship. probe deeper : But why they do this in first place?
Is it because of lack of support from Tata? Is it pure apathy? Is it greed? I do not know but would sure like opinions.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 10:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The safari comes with 2 remotes. I am not sure of the central locking can be reprogrammed. So they have to replace the central locking unit + lockset.

I suggest you email to customer care that you have not gotten second remote, and when will they supply the same. They can supply the same only after replacing the entire unit.
Tanveer, I've already sent an e-mail to "customercare@tatamotors.com" and their reply on this is STILL AWAITED. Last time in August also, the customer care didn't do anything in first attempt and I did wait for more than 20 days before sending a reminder.

AFAIK, they haven't supplied second remote because the door locks as well as "central lock unit" was NOT replaced. Had RAMA MOTORS replaced a new unit, they would have got two remotes, which they would have given to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Bad practices and short cuts by dealer ship. probe deeper : But why they do this in first place?
Is it because of lack of support from Tata? Is it pure apathy? Is it greed? I do not know but would sure like opinions.
Sir,

First of all it was the 'Carelessness' of the staff that they 'LOST' my spare key and remote. When I asked about the same, I was told that they had delivered the vehicle with spare key and remote in the glove box. After more than 1 month they accepted that they lost it during transit of vehicle and suggested me to go to road side vendor for duplicate key (Rs 50 per key).

What if the staff of RAMA MOTORS uses the 'lost' spare keys to drive away my vehicle?

Now after raising this issue with TATA Customer care in August, they were FORCED to change the complete lock set but in order to SAVE money they cheated in this way. This was dealer's mistake so he had to pay for this lock set. I am not sure if they ever ordered any lock set for my vehicle? Even if they had ordered, they would 'utilize' it at 'proper' place, where they can raise proper invoice.

- Irish
Old 19th September 2012, 11:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Irish - sorry to hear about your trauma with Tata. Followup with them again, this time try to approach someone higher up in the chain, maybe Karl slym himself.

To secure your vehicle, please install a GPS / Satellite based security system. IT costs around 12000/-. It is good to invest 12,000 to protect your 12 lac worth possession. GPS Lock will save you in the unlikely event of a theft.

I am not trying to scare you, but there are reported incidents of scorpio thefts after service(keys were duplicated). I am just highlighting this as members have shared such incidents so that other members do not face the same trauma.

If you are paranoid, Please file an FIR that Rama motors have lost one set of keys. This makes them liable and answerable in case of theft.

What to do next:
  • Send a strong mail to top honchos at Tata Motors about this issue. Safari is premium vehicle and expect response for it.
  • Please Please Invest in a GPS satellite security system.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 16:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Experience with Rama Motors, Delhi

In case you want to set them right, speak to Karun Grover, Customer Support Manager, Tata Motors. Explain the situation and see the magic!!

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2012 at 14:15. Reason: Please avoid sharing other's cell numbers on a public forum. Thanks
panky12345 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 00:19   #8
BHPian

I asked for the Complaint book at Rama motors today, went through a couple of pages. Each page had horror stories. I asked the GM if anyone ever even opened the book and he said the GM responsible for Workshop is on leave and he has no idea.
I have also made an entry into the book. Lets see if they ever call back.
BTW they gave me the rating form, I just couldn't rate them between 1-9, hence gave them a 0 on vehicle cleanliness.
Old 25th September 2012, 11:51   #9
BHPian

This mobile number doesn't belong to Karun Grover. The person who picked up this number, gave me Karun's mobile number and when I called Karun, then he asked about the complaint. When I gave details about lockset issue and Rama Motors then he said that he is NOT looking into the Safari anymore. And he gave me the landline number of Gurgaon office. Which is obviously either busy or concerned staff is NOT available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I asked for the Complaint book at Rama motors today, went through a couple of pages. Each page had horror stories. I asked the GM if anyone ever even opened the book and he said the GM responsible for Workshop is on leave and he has no idea.
I have also made an entry into the book. Lets see if they ever call back.
BTW they gave me the rating form, I just couldn't rate them between 1-9, hence gave them a 0 on vehicle cleanliness.
When I got my lockset changed, a car wash was provided free of cost and I was like forced to provide the maximum ratings to the car washing team.
His team did a Car Wash Whereas CRM team did an Eye Wash.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Irish - sorry to hear about your trauma with Tata. Followup with them again, this time try to approach someone higher up in the chain, maybe Karl slym himself.

Send a strong mail to top honchos at Tata Motors about this issue. Safari is premium vehicle and expect response for it.
Now, after sending mails and reminders to TATA Motors, they have taken up this issue with RAMA Motors staff. I also sent a SMS to the MD of RAMA Motors in this concern.

Now the latest developments:

Received calls from TATA Motors (Pune & Gurgaon office): They took the complaint details and assured me the best results i.e. the complete lock set shall be changed again. I asked them if the control unit will be replaced? Will I get TWO remote controls? They didn't provide the exact answers to these two questions.

Received calls from RAMA Motors: Got a call yesterday afternoon and the person told me that they will provide me a new lockset from another brand new Safari parked in showroom, in front of me. He also told me that last time they had changed the lockset but that time they fitted a lockset from a Safari which is used for providing the Test Drives to buyers. That's why there were scratches on the ignition lockset. In one of the earlier calls from RAMA Motors, a person suggested that the inner portion of the ignition lock is changed and the outer shell remains the same. So there were those scratch marks on the outer shell during the lockset change exercise. Also there is ONLY ONE REMOTE control supplied and won't get the second remote.

He also told me that if I wanted to get a lockset from another brand new Safari then I can come anytime whereas ordering and procuring a lockset will take another 4-5 days. I agreed to wait for another week as I don't want another Safari's lockset.

Now while writing this post, I got a call from RAMA Motors, that the lockset has arrived. I was surprised as they told me yesterday that it will take another 4-5 days to reach Delhi but he said that they have got it from Gurgaon office. And also they are NOT going to replace the remote control unit and will see (not sure!) if the second remote control can be provided to me or not. An appointment for tomorrow 9:30 AM has been given to me but I am still doubtful that I will get the things moving the way, as they should have been moved.

I am doubtful on the following:
  • Will I really get a 'brand new lockset'? Or they have taken it from any other Safari?
  • Why they don't want to replace the Central Lock control unit?
  • Will they provide me the second remote? Most likely they will pair the device to another frequency and accordingly the remote controls.
With the above doubts, I am reluctant to go to their workshop unless they provide me the complete remote control unit replacement along with the lockset. Also I am planing to approach Consumer Court if they fail to provide me the proper genuine services.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2012 at 14:15. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 27th September 2012, 11:31   #10
BHPian

So guys, here is an update:

On 25th Sep, after receiving a call from RAMA Motors, I visited just to make sure that they have got all the stuff and wanted to confirm if they are going to provide me the second remote. I also got next day (26th Sep - 10:00 AM) booking done to get the complete lockset changed. They told me that ONLY ONE REMOTE IS PROVIDED WITH SAFARI so they won't provide me second remote.

As per the schedule, went there and got the job card opened on 26th Sep. They told me to leave but I insisted upon to stay there in front of my vehicle. The mechanics started their work, opened driver side lock and then came to know that the available dashboard lock color is Black where as in Safari Ex, we need Beige color lock. Again got frustrated as I didn't have any option but to come back from the workshop without the new lockset. I again WASTED my time & fuel on the assurance of workshop manager.

Got a call from TATA Motors Pune around 3:00 PM, and the lady asked me if I am happy as my lockset is currently being changed in the workshop? Actually, RAMA Motors had updated TATA motors that the lockset is currently being fitted in my vehicle whereas I had come back to my place 3 hours back. This call from TATA Motors (Pune) was like rubbing Salt on my wounds.

A day before also (i.e. on 25th) when I especially went to their workshop they ASSURED me that they have everything in place and told me to come next morning. If you see my previous post also then I was doubtful about their phone call also. I don't know why they are STILL working in such an UN-professional way? Wasting time and money of customers and providing services like these to the customer purchasing a vehicle costing Rs 11,00,000/-.

A question: Only ONE remote is provided with Safari Ex or we get TWO remotes?

PS: Actually I have asked the same question in Safari Niggles thread and through other friends also, I know that there are two remotes provided with Safari. But this answer is for those people who are STILL trying fool customers like me.

- Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 11:58   #11
BHPian

It is disgusting to read about such blatant acts of cheating which goes on at dealerships. Tata needs to look into these issues seriously if they ever want to up their game.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 12:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post

PS: Actually I have asked the same question in Safari Niggles thread and through other friends also, I know that there are two remotes provided with Safari. But this answer is for those people who are STILL trying fool customers like me.

- Irish
Mine is a LX model so I got 2 keys, without any remote. I got the Autocop security system installed and was given 2 remotes with it.
But all my friends who have the EX have 2 remotes. So I guess they are still taking you for a ride.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 14:35   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post

- Irish
We bought our safari in 2008(EX model), and we were provided 2 remotes. Even after market central locking systems come with 2 remote controls.
I suggest you ask customer care this very question via email, posing as a customer, and then show the printout to RAMA motors.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 14:50   #14
BHPian

The above two posts pretty much confirm that two remotes are provided with the Ex. What you can do more to confirm is, visit another Showroom and ask them, the sales guy must be knowing. I only have LX in my circle, so can't help much in his regard.

I'd say sit down with a senior of the W/S, and not just the Bhoomika's and other customer care people and just work it out. Since the issue has been reverted by the HQ's am sure they'd want to sort it out ASAP.
Old 27th September 2012, 16:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
But all my friends who have the EX have 2 remotes. So I guess they are still taking you for a ride.
Quote:
We bought our safari in 2008(EX model), and we were provided 2 remotes. Even after market central locking systems come with 2 remote controls.
I suggest you ask customer care this very question via email, posing as a customer, and then show the printout to RAMA motors.
Thanks tanveer for confirming again. Although you have mentioned in your previous post but I wanted this to be read by RAMA Motors who are still 'doubtful'.

One of the FUNNIEST reply I got - "TATA keep changing the number of remotes provided with their vehicles. May be a person buying a Safari in Jan get 2 remotes whereas in March it's just 1. We just pass the remotes to customer, supplied with a specific vehicle (Safari). Why we'll keep 1 remote with us?"

I think I should also ask TATA to provide a time phased data on number of remotes provided with Safari Ex i.e. provide the number of remotes offered with Safari in the following months :
  • Jan' 12
  • Feb '12
  • March '12
  • April '12
  • and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
The above two posts pretty much confirm that two remotes are provided with the Ex.
I'd say sit down with a senior of the W/S, and not just the Bhoomika's and other customer care people and just work it out. Since the issue has been reverted by the HQ's am sure they'd want to sort it out ASAP.
Bhoomika has resigned from RAMA Motors and I have spoken to a senior person of workshop there.

Now I hope that TATA Motors (Pune) can only 'help' me out.

Cheers!
Irish

Most Viewed