Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2024, 10:43   #1
BHPian

Which fun-to-drive hatchback for a college student?

Posting this on behalf of a friend.

A friend of mine is looking for a small, fun to drive and safe hatchback under 10L (on road Mumbai). We narrowed down the list to two cars and need help deciding between the two.

Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Asta MT and the Tata Tiago XZ+ MT

Maruti and Citroen were rejected due to safety concerns.

Are there any other cars that should be considered?
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 11:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which fun-to-drive hatchback for a college student?

The Grand i10 Nios will provide the better driving experience (although its engine is showing its age); the Tiago's petrol engine is yawn-inducing b-o-r-i-n-g.

For a college student looking at a fun-to-drive car:

- C3 Turbo. Top choice for 10 lakhs. Very sorted car mechanically, awesome fun to drive, great suspension, lovely engine, sweet gearshift. Its the Octavia vRS of the 10-lakh segment.

- Tata Tiago Electric. Early exposure to technology for your Gen Z friend, EVs can be fun to drive, well-priced, safe.

- Maruti Swift. Lots of fun to drive!

- Altroz Turbo Petrol. If budget can be extended. But this engine is currently available only in the new "Racer" variant.

- Maruti Fronx Turbo Petrol MT. Will keep him grinning from ear to ear. Needs budget to be extended.

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2024 at 11:32.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 12:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Posting this on behalf of a friend.

A friend of mine is looking for a small, fun to drive and safe hatchback under 10L (on road Mumbai). We narrowed down the list to two cars and need help deciding between the two.

Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Asta MT and the Tata Tiago XZ+ MT

Maruti and Citroen were rejected due to safety concerns.

Are there any other cars that should be considered?
If budget can be extended, then definitely the i20 N-Line! Tops the list of fun to drive hatches!

If not, then definitely the C3 Turbo, but do note that Citroen is still fairly new to the market, and you might have to deal with dealer issues or ASS issues.. But it's worth a shot!
nova.19_exe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 13:24   #4
BHPian

If you are okay with pre-owned cars, there are good options. Most of the cars after 2021 are overvalued. Here are those great fun to drive cars from the last decade.
  1. Ford Freestyle (and Figo) Diesel
  2. Fiat Punto (Abarth and Aventura)
  3. Volkswagen Polo (and GT)
madhukarmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 16:11   #5
BHPian

The Freestyle would be my pick, especially that lovely 1.5 diesel minus the DPF nonsense
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 18:43   #6

Being a college student myself I'd go for a used Polo. But, to each their own. Although I do agree that maintenance could be costly( for a college student) and some people aren't comfortable with purchasing used cars.
quad_exhaust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 19:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

What kind of "Fun to drive" element are you looking from the car ?

If your definition of Fun to drive is a petrol engine that can revv all the way to glory, look no further than a pre-owned Honda City I-VTEC.

If you want to buy something new, then your options are limited, mainly from the Maruti stable (which you already excluded). Think of Ignis/Swift/Baleno et al.

For Turbo petrols (if you like that kind of a fun to drive element where the Turbo kick excites you), you can consider the C3 Turbo / FronX Turbo/ i20 N-Line 1.0 Turbo. Although you will need to increase your budget by just a little bit.

However as GTO pointed out, an EV like Tiago would fit the bill here too. EVs are quick, agile, fun to drive and economical at the same time. Plus the Tiago is a safer vehicle than the Maruti/Hyundai/Citreons.

But I doubt an EV would excite an under 25 year old. Sure they are fast, but a bit boring at the same time as well (depends on your taste).
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 21:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Grand i10 Nios will provide the better driving experience (although its engine is showing its age); the Tiago's petrol engine is yawn-inducing b-o-r-i-n-g.

For a college student looking at a fun-to-drive car:

- C3 Turbo. Top choice for 10 lakhs. Very sorted car mechanically, awesome fun to drive, great suspension, lovely engine, sweet gearshift. Its the Octavia vRS of the 10-lakh segment.

- Tata Tiago Electric. Early exposure to technology for your Gen Z friend, EVs can be fun to drive, well-priced, safe.

- Maruti Swift. Lots of fun to drive!

- Altroz Turbo Petrol. If budget can be extended. But this engine is currently available only in the new "Racer" variant.

- Maruti Fronx Turbo Petrol MT. Will keep him grinning from ear to ear. Needs budget to be extended.
Thanks to all of you for the swift response.

EV's were ruled out as both me and him will likely be driving this car outside the city and into the ghats for weekend trips.

Budget is a strict 10L (I believe this was an extension of an original 7.5-8L Budget) so no Fronx Turbo, Altroz iTurbo or i20 N-Line sadly.

Swift would be what I'd get, I'm pretty sure there as some dealers with some old 3rd Gen stock at good discounts but the NCAP rating and reputation of Maruti hinders it as his parents are quite adamant about that.

We might be able to push for the C3 Turbo as the even the top Shine Turbo variant is just 50k above the 10L threshold. But for that I'll have to convince my friend (the eventual owner of this car) first. He's not exactly a fan of French design.

Our original plan was to find him a used Civic 1.8 MT or a 3rd Gen City 1.5 VTEC but this fell through as his parents said New Cars only under any circumstances.

At this point, if I cannot convince him on the Citroen, it's gonna be the Tiago.
Old 20th August 2024, 22:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine is looking for a small, fun to drive and safe hatchback under 10L (on road Mumbai)
Get the Baleno 1.2 Zeta.

More VFM than the Swift and i10.
Old 20th August 2024, 22:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine is looking for a small, fun to drive and safe hatchback under 10L (on road Mumbai)
Citroen C3 turbo would be the most fun to drive small car in its segment. It lacks a bunch of fancy features but if you can look beyond that then its better than the rest.

Swift or i10 nios would be my second choice. Both are equally competent.

Note: Safe driving trumps so called safety ratings. None of these cars have mentionable safety ratings. However if driven carefully they (Swift or i10) have stood the test of time.
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 10:04   #11
BHPian

Rejection of Maruti because of safety concerns and then considering a Hyundai is funny
The Nios is not a safe car, last i heard.
Doge is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 10:40   #12
BHPian

Is he open to used cars?

If so, then a well kept example can be found for almost half the price.

I brought home a used Freestyle few weeks ago as a fun city beater car.

Requirements - Should be nimble, fun, have character.

The vehicle - Freestyle Petrol Titanium Plus, 2019, 35K run, single owner, very well kept. Paid around 10% more than the market rate, but I felt that was fine considering it was a good example.

It's been 5 weeks and I still cannot figure out how it has run 800 km only in the city.
All in all, a befitting garage-mate for my Slavia 1.5
Old 21st August 2024, 11:21   #13
BHPian

Compact hatch and loads of fun to drive..

New: Look no further than Swift, either new or used.
Used: Ford Freestyle, Figo, Swift diesel

Both of them have excellent chassis and behave almost like point and shoot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks