Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2024, 09:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Okay to go for a 1-year old stock Maruti Baleno for a 1-lakh discount?

Hi all, my dad is looking to get a Baleno and he's getting a discount of around 1L rupees on a 2023 Nov Alpha MT model which gets it very close to the Zeta MT model price of 2024. I had following questions around this purchase-

1) Would a third party PDI be able to catch any issues with this car (worried since would it be apparent if the car has been sitting idle nearly 10 months now)?
2) If its a good deal, does one lakh rupee discount make sense or should it be more?
3) Could this be a demo/display car? Dealership denies it, but I don't understand why such a high selling car is not moved out of dealership for about 10 months now.
4) Should I go for this or get the brand new Zeta MT manufactured in 2024?
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:45   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Okay to go for a 1-year old stock Maruti Baleno for a 1-lakh discount?

The fresh-stock 2024 Baleno itself has a discount of 40-50k IIRC, so the actual difference is far slimmer. Baleno sales have been sliding due to pressure from the Fronx & other cars. Go meet 2 dealers, tell them you are there to close the deal and pit them against each other for a fresh stock car. I wouldn't risk it with a 10-month old car lying with the dealer.

If not constrained by budget, do check out the Fronx for your Dad. He will definitely like it more. I would any day pick the Fronx over the Baleno.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 11:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If not constrained by budget, do check out the Fronx for your Dad. He will definitely like it more. I would any day pick the Fronx over the Baleno.
Budget is tight. Not a penny above 9.5L

Thanks will convey your thoughts.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 12:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Hi all, my dad is looking to get a Baleno and he's getting a discount of around 1L rupees on a 2023 Nov Alpha MT model which gets it very close to the Zeta MT model price of 2024.
4) Should I go for this or get the brand new Zeta MT manufactured in 2024?
Baleno Zeta 2024 is well loaded. I would blindly go for a new 2024 Maruti Baleno Zeta over 9 months old Alpha MT. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Baleno is a fast selling car in Maruti stable. I wonder why an Alpha MT has remained unsold for last 9 months.

Anyways a new Zeta 2024 is better than a last year Alpha 2023. I wouldn't take much time in this regard.
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 13:11   #5
ike
BHPian

Usually there are good deals to be had on old stock(I bought one myself last year) however in this particular case the Baleno is a car that was flying off the shelves, why would this one sit for ten months. I remember a colleague wanted a new Baleno last year in Chennai and no dealer had any stock despite being a cash purchase, minimum wait was 3 months. If they have a good explanation for why this wasn't sold then get it.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 16:21   #6
BHPian

I wouldn't even touch it with a barge pole. A hot selling car from the Maruti stable, Baleno, sitting in the stockyard close to a year itself is a red flag! I mean, people are ready to buy these on cash or even by paying a premium if the dealer can offer ready delivery. So be very cautious if you plan to go ahead with this due to budget constraints.

But before that, do try to get some valid reasoning from the dealer on why no one picked this up yet.

Some questions that you could ask to get better clarity around the decision making:
  1. Is it some unusual color that no one really wants to own or seen driving it?
  2. What is the current odo? Pop the hood and see if the condition matches the odo reading.
  3. How are the tyres? Do they look worn out?
  4. Battery condition
  5. Has it gone through repaint?
  6. Are they open for a third party PDI? I read on the forum somewhere that dealers are not allowing the third party PDI practice. Hesitation in allowing services should definitely raise eyebrows.

Quite possible that the car has been rejected by multiple prospects after PDI session.

And, you already mentioned that there is a tight budget. Don't end up on the wrong side after picking up a lemon just because they gave you a decent discount. The car might end up spending more time in the service center than in your garage which spoils the ownership experience as well as shoot the overall expense.

Anyway good luck on your hunt.

Drive Safe,
R-Six

Last edited by R-Six : 14th August 2024 at 16:22.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 16:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A fast selling car parked with a dealer since 10 months has reasons for becoming questionable. Like, the Ambassador production was stopped on 24.05.2014. But dealers sold these till mid 2016. That's a car which had turned a lemon for many by 2014, staying unsold for 2 years with the dealer. This is understandable.

Going for that 2023 Baleno even with a 1L discount (effectively 50K as new Balenos are selling at such discounts) doesn't look like a good deal.

And about the budget constraints, a car loan of Rs 1 L or whatever will be a better proposition to get a new Baleno or else opt for a Fronx, if the latter is your choice.
Old 14th August 2024, 17:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
... he's getting a discount of around 1L rupees on a 2023 Nov Alpha MT model which gets it very close to the Zeta MT model price of 2024.
The day before yesterday, we booked a Fronx Turbo Alpha MT. We are going to get an August-made car straight from the factory by the end of the month. I was able to squeeze 1,05,000 as a discount + 15,000 as an exchange bonus before signing the booking docket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Booked Fronx Alpha Turbo MT White ST for Cousin.
Just sit on their heads and complete the deal for a latest model car. For the time being, 'customer is the king' and it's buyers' market once again.
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks