View Poll Results: Your choice?
R1 25 38.46%
R2 15 23.08%
R3 25 38.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2024, 10:35   #1
BHPian

Which Tata Altroz Racer variant would you buy?

Which Tata Altroz Racer variant would you buy?-2024_tata_altroz_racer_exterior_21.jpg

Recently, Tata Motors launched the Altroz Racer - the hottest variant of the hatchback with an improved turbo-petrol engine. The Altroz Racer is only available with a 6-speed manual transmission and comes with several improvements over the standard car (Review Link).

There are a total of 3 variants on offer. Here's a deep dive into all the variants to help you identify the most valuable trim for your preferences.

Which Tata Altroz Racer variant would you buy?-altroz-racer.jpg

Trims Breakdown

R1

Top Features
- 16-inch Alloy Wheels
- LED DRLs
- Projector Auto Headlamps
- Front Fog Lamps
- Rear Wipers & Wash
- Rain-sensing Wipers
- Electrically Operated ORVMs
- Leatherette Upholstery
- Front & Rear Sliding Armrest
- Height-adjustable Driver Seat
- Rear AC Vents
- Rear Defogger
- 10.24-inch Infotainment
- Wireless Android Auto & Apple Car Play
- 4-speakers & 4-tweeter Audio
- 6 Airbags
- Passive Entry Passive Start (PEPS)
- Evaporator Sensor (FATC)

R2

Top Features Over R1
- 7.0-inch TFT Digital Cluster
- Steering Mounted Controls
- Wireless Charger
- 360-degree Camera
- Electric Sunroof with Voice Assist
- Xpress Cool Function

R3

Top Features Over R2
- iRA Connected Car Tech
- Front Ventilated Seats
- Air Purifier

Conclusion

Looking for a great balance of features and value? Then the Altroz Racer R1 is a strong contender. It comes packed with essentials like a large touchscreen infotainment system, smartphone connectivity for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, rear air conditioning vents to keep everyone comfortable, and leatherette upholstery for a touch of luxury.

The R2 variant adds features like a voice assisted sunroof and 360-degree camera which have gained a lot of popularity in our country of late. It also comes with the Xpress Cool function which is very useful in cooling the car's cabin quickly on a hot day - something common in India.

Want all the bells and whistles? Step up to the R3 variant. It adds some truly premium features on top of everything in the R1 and R2, including ventilated seats to keep you cool on hot days, and telematics for connected car features. While the R3 comes at a higher price tag, it offers the most comfort and convenience.

Do you think that the R1 is the most value-for-money variant, also if you had to buy the new Altroz Racer, which variant would you pick?

Last edited by Aditya : 11th July 2024 at 10:55.
Ripcord09 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 10:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Tata Altroz Racer variant would you buy?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 12:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord09 View Post
Top Features Over R1
- 7.0-inch TFT Digital Cluster
- Steering Mounted Controls

Do you think that the R1 is the most value-for-money variant, also if you had to buy the new Altroz Racer, which variant would you pick?

R1 actually has steering mounted controls too. What it doesn't have is 'Steering mounted cluster control' which is meant for controlling the TFT cluster. Since R1 gets the ugly digital cluster from Tiago, the cluster (trip meter etc.) is controlled through the stalks jutting out of the cluster.

So, the R1 has pretty much all the essentials. It would have been so much better if they had given the analog cluster from the old Altroz XE/XM. That looked so much better than this super cheap looking 'digital' cluster.

R1 is easily the best VFM as it has all the essentials covered and comes under lower road tax bracket in many states. I would have voted for R1, but that speedo is almost a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by theredliner : 11th July 2024 at 12:57.
theredliner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 15:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord09 View Post
Yes, I do believe that the R1 variant of the Tata Altroz offers the best value for money. The R1 variant comes with all the essential features. The R2 and R3 variants, on the other hand, offer more 'nice-to-have' features rather than essentials. For an additional 1.5 lakh, you wouldn't really be missing out on anything substantial.

If I were to make a purchase, I might explore the possibility of adding a 360 degree camera and ventilated seats to the R1 variant.

The top end R3 variant only includes three additional features. In contrast, with Hyundai, you will find that most of the advertised features are only available in the top end vehicle.
It's Magic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 15:50   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

In my opinion, R1 has almost everything covered, R2 got nice to have features and R3 is about pure indulgence.

Tata obviously know this and must have decided to go with the cheap 'digital' instrument cluster for R1. They could have designed a classy analog one instead of those silly stripes a.k.a. 'Balaji ka tika' (thanks Motor Inc). But no, they had to throw-in something undesirable.
Old 12th July 2024, 23:43   #6
BHPian

Tbh, for price of 9.5, even when compared to NA engines it has quite a lot of features, and the features offered in higher variants are good to have, but not dealbreaker. Would rather save 1.5 lakh and get R1
Old 13th July 2024, 12:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

R3 any day. Already booked one for my friend. We keep cars until NGT interfere. Ventilated seats are a must for the Delhi summer.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 13:11   #8
BHPian

R3 only because it has those ventilated seats. R2 is a nicely equipped variant otherwise.

Though given a chance I would pick the i20 N line over this car.
Old 13th July 2024, 14:01   #9
BHPian

I can live without some features from the R1 and R2, but definitely not the Ventilated Seats in R3 if its on offer. It's a boon for harsh Indian summers, I absolutely love that comfort in my Alturas.
Old 13th July 2024, 17:17   #10
BHPian

R1 anyday if i really have to pick one. The base variant packs in decent amount of creature comforts and will keep most buyers content.

Last edited by Phantom 510 : 13th July 2024 at 17:24.
Old 13th July 2024, 20:29   #11
BHPian

R3 due to air purifier. Kind of an essential in big cities these days.

And in general , getting top model means less things to do post purchase.

However, post 10L TCS applies on car purchases.
Old 13th July 2024, 22:41   #12
BHPian

R1 variant is decently equipped with necessary features. It gets the bigger screen, rear AC vents and even leatherette upholstery. They should have given the regular Altroz's instrument cluster with the Analogue and digital design.

But the ventilated seats in R3 are good to have, and very useful for our climate.

Overall a good feature list for all variants. They should have given better alloys for the Racer. These are same as the regular versions. Even the JTP alloys could have been reused and would look better.
Old 14th July 2024, 17:08   #13
BHPian

Voted R1

R1 has all the daily essentials, I have the nexon with the TFT display screen (fearless plus), the only practical aspect is the changing the whole screen into a map for navigation. The only practical feature in R3 is the ventilated seats, they are a boon in summers/monsoon. But you can get aftermarket add-ons too.

Try to a get a white with red ORVMs (a la JTPs) and minus the racing stripes. Obviously after-matket mods.

The wireless charger is another must have feature, specially with wireless AA. And avoid the sunroof, you get a weaker heavier car with another beading that will need fixing in the long run for NO added benefit. I would just by the R1 with aftermarket wireless charging pad, air purifier and ventilated seat cushion.

regards kaps454

PS: the engine is peppy enough in the nexon, should be real fun to drive in the lighter altroz.

Last edited by kaps454 : 14th July 2024 at 17:15. Reason: additional info
Old 14th July 2024, 17:27   #14
BHPian

On a lighter note - if the sales aren't upto expectations in a couple of months, the R3 variant will be available for R1 prices.

Most Viewed