Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 14:50   #1

Shall I sell or keep my 2011 Chevrolet Beat Diesel?

Am new here, and this is my first post, so apologies in advance if there's anything I need to do that I haven't done.

Why I want to sell the Chevy Beat
1. Chevrolet has up and run
2. Parts may be an issue (and are now, but mostly minor cosmetic parts)
3. It's a diesel BS IV and I'm not sure what happens in 2026 (when I have to renew the registration)
4. Some repairs aren't cheap (I've already had a turbo failure once, had to replace the entire aircon unit last year, and now am looking at another INR 50k for suspension etc over the next year)
5. Re-sale is falling. Fast.

Why I want to keep the Chevy Beat
1. I follow what GTO says about running cars till they run into the ground (just makes so much more economic sense)
2. I'm driving in Mumbai, almost always in heavy traffic, so this small car is perfect for that environment, and super light to drive.
3. It's economical to run because of that small diesel engine. Sure it's not powerful, but over 60% of my Mumbai driving cycle is idling in traffic.
4. It's relatively a low mileage car (I've done 85,000 kms in 12 years)
5. I've customized it with a decent stereo and speakers, and a chip tuning box, plus upsized tyres.
6. I'm never scared to give this to any valet, or park in any rough neigbourhood (and a lot of my driving involves both), so it's a great beater car
7. New cars are so much more costly, even small ones, and I can't find anything below INR 10 lacs that I like (ie no CNG automatics, because what I'd really want in a small car now is convenience and low running costs)
8. I do have another car for when I need to go out of town or need more space (although that company too has left India, yes I know, it must be me)
9. I'm getting just a couple of lacs for it, and it would make more sense for me to use it to reserve parking space in Mumbai (where the cheapest car park is over INR 5 lacs), and I have multiple car parks in this city (but not enough cars to occupy them all).
10. The aircon is great. Important in this muggy and humid city.

Other concerns
1. If I do keep it, how long can I keep it for before Chevrolet pick up their skirts and truly run? I've written to them and they refuse to provide any sort of timeline for support and parts.
2. If I do sell it, does it make sense to get rid of it for a super low resale or do I scrap it and use that incentive on a more expensive car? is there even an incentive yet?
Diablo37989 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 18:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Shall I sell or keep my 2011 Chevrolet Beat Diesel?

I am a proponent of keeping cars for long, but even then, 10-years is the usual cap for me.

That being said, keeping your unique situation in mind, I would suggest retaining the car.

Reasons:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo37989 View Post
It's a diesel BS IV and I'm not sure what happens in 2026 (when I have to renew the registration)
No one knows what will happen 3 years from now. Chill . Heck, the USA government may or may not be shutting down next week!

Quote:
Re-sale is falling. Fast.
No difference between your resale today and 3 years from now, it's already well depreciated.

Quote:
You seem to be happy with it and the Beat seems to be the perfect BEATer car!

Quote:
I'm getting just a couple of lacs for it, and it would make more sense for me to use it to reserve parking space in Mumbai (where the cheapest car park is over INR 5 lacs), and I have multiple car parks in this city (but not enough cars to occupy them all).
Agreed. Keep it running for as long as possible - a competent independent mechanic will be able to get the spares to keep your car running. Once it reaches the end of the road, use it to reserve your parking spot. An empty parking spot / house / office in Mumbai is an invitation to illegal encroachment.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 18:26   #3

This is not only the most prompt advice I've received, it's also the most reasoned. Thanks a lot.
Diablo37989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 18:38   #4
BHPian

Reading your post, I think you really want to keep it and my suggestion is also to do the same.

Having said that, if you want a daily beater and a small car for city use, why not switch to a Tiago EV or the MG Comet.
TheFonz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 18:46   #5
BHPian

Dear Diablo37989,

After reading your post I'm feeling like, "The Brain tells to sell, but the Heart is yelling to hold" moment. As GTO rightly pointed out hold your current steed, the current state of affairs being very dynamic, any decision is bound to get reversed. Who knows anything might happen anytime. "Sail till the ship takes you with the wind" will be my advise.

TheFonz also has a point with small EVs. Provided there is sufficient support for EVs in your area, EVs can be handy in your city running. Especially the Tata Tiago EV/ MG Comet EV sounds a good option and a reliable second fiddle to your Beat until it takes the reigns.
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 20:43   #6
BHPian

As a fellow Chevrolet Beat owner(albeit in petrol), I would suggest to use the car till it works or till the RC is valid. If it stops running, scrap the car. If the car still runs even after the RC is expired, get the RC renewed and continue using it. The Beat was a decently popular car and given the number of cars still on road, spares should not be an issue. I did hear from my mechanic that Chevrolet will continue to supply parts till 2027. Resale value of your car will range from 1-1.5 lacs and might stay the same for lets say another year or two.
Chevrolet did have an operational factory till 2020 and they recently sold it to Hyundai, so even I'm curious as to how the parts distribution will be from now on. Ofcourse they have a robust parts distribution center(as per their website) but I am very curious as to how the situation will be from now on. Either way, just continue using the car till it runs.
saikishor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 09:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
Having said that, if you want a daily beater and a small car for city use, why not switch to a Tiago EV or the MG Comet.

Great suggestion. Tho there are a few reasons why I don't want to go electric just yet.
1. Uber drivers I've spoken to tell me the TATAs have problems with their batteries during the monsoon flooding. I'm not sure if this is true, but...
2. EVs are expensive to buy. As you can see from the mileage on my Beat, I'm not sure if running costs will offset the purchase outlay.
3. And they apparently have terrible resale.

That said, I still think your suggestion is a good one. Need to learn more about these.
Diablo37989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 11:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

A Beat Petrol owner this side. She is 13 years and 4 months old now. ODO @ 115000 KMs.

Beat is a well engineered car hence no rattle and creeks till date. Don't worry about parts. There are plenty of Beats running around and all parts are available through Boodmo or through other local supplies.

Use your car till it disintegrate (impossible due to it's build quality )

I got a 2016 Figo from my FIL and driving it for last 2 weeks. Today morning when I was about to leave for office noticed the flattened front tyre. So took the Beat out. Now I realize what I was missing in Figo. Beat is compact as well as heavy. It is a point and shoot type car. Hence easy to drive through congested city like Delhi. Excellent hydraulic power steering (Petrol models only) is well calibrated for feel and feedback.

Keep driving your Beat. It is a one kind of car which is never going to happen again.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 14:36   #9
BHPian

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze and I can relate to your dilemma. I decided to keep it until the registration expires. Here are my reasons:

1)The car is running well and the engine is still responsive. I have a reliable mechanic who takes care of the regular maintenance and service.
2)The car prices have gone up a lot in the last five years. A similar car would cost more than 20L now. An upgrade would be at least 10L more.
3)The resale value of my car is not very high and it would not help me much in buying a new one.
4)Pune traffic is getting worse every day. I prefer to use a Triumph Speed 400 bike instead of a big car or SUV. Bike is still faster to reach point 1 to B and easier to park in Pune.
sanstorm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 02:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

I'm also in a similar boat. I have a Beat petrol from 2011 and while overall it's in good condition with 56k km on the ODO, it's not used very often since Covid as I drive a Dzire most of the time now which I kind of regret buying due to the numerous issues it's hard in the last 5 years of ownership. My wife used the Best earlier but then her work changed and she doesn't have a lot of local travel so the Best gets only occasional use.
The reasons I want replace it are :

1) Somehow it "aged" during the Covid lockdowns where it saw only occasional and maintenance use. It's still mechanically sound other than maybe a change of front suspension bushes and a new exhaust since the old one has rusted through in a few spots. Engine is still beautifully smooth.
2) During this year's rains the car washing guy left doors open or cleaned the car while it was pouring
As a result the interiors got soaked and without any sunny days, mould created an issue. I got the interiors cleaned professionally and while it looks as good as it was, it was heartbreaking to see my car which till then still had traces of the new car smell, in that pathetic condition. Plus since it couldn't be tended to for a couple of weeks due to the weather and my inability to find a good doorstep detailer (didn't want to drive it in biohazard condition), the speakers shorted out and bubbles developed in the MID with a dimmed screen and there are some rust spots under the door seals.

3) Itch for an automatic. Makes sense in Mumbais traffic. I'm on the lookout for a Polo GT TSI for a FTD auto or a Nano AMT for a practical one. Used car prices are currently ridiculous though and I'm kind of scared of getting a lemon, especially at current prices. None of the current cars available in my budget tick all the boxes for me, again at the prices nowadays. The only "new" replacement I would consider is the Citroen C3 if they launched an automatic.

Whenever I do drive the car, it's a joyful experience compared to the Dzire with it's "fabled" K12 engine. The build quality is really good for it's time and price bracket. It's aged better than the 5 year old Dzire.

I guess the drive and build quality of the Beat is the reason why I still see Beats in Mumbai quite regularly while it's competitors at the time - the Ritz, Micra and original Figo have been absent for quite a while.
Mortis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 12:24   #11
BHPian

As a previous Beat LT Diesel (2012) owner I would suggest to keep it if you are able to procure parts and maintain it. I really wanted to keep the car but unfortunately had to sell it due to difficulty in procuring parts and good local mechanic resulting in regular high maintainence costs.

I have owned many small hatchback cars including Maruti 800 DX (1994/95). Beat is one of the best small hatchback cars I have driven. Very good fit and finish, built robustly, heavy weight, was absolute joy to drive on Highways even above triple digits. Fantastic interior during that time, good aircondition and very good mileage too. I had even thought to buy my next car a Chevy too but unfortunately Chevorlet left.
Toni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 16:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why I want to sell the Chevy Beat
1. Chevrolet has up and run
2. Parts may be an issue (and are now, but mostly minor cosmetic parts)
3. It's a diesel BS IV and I'm not sure what happens in 2026 (when I have to renew the registration)
4. Some repairs aren't cheap (I've already had a turbo failure once, had to replace the entire aircon unit last year, and now am looking at another INR 50k for suspension etc over the next year)
5. Re-sale is falling. Fast.
Answering your queries pointwise:-
Answers
1. Undisputed fact
2.Since you are in Mumbai you can keep in touch with scrap dealers at Chor Bazar. Upon getting their feedback about scrapping and beating old Beats, you can buy and stockpile crucial spares from such "end of the road" cars, based on your judgment. You must have by now known which all spares need regular or will require replacements.
3. Here you have to take risk like an entrepreneur. If diesel cars survive you are through. If not, the scrap market is hungry to devour the metal, rubber and plastic.
4. It's not a M800 or Alto so the myth about cheap repairs need to be brushed aside.
5.Resale prices between now and whenever you decide to part company could be lesser by Rs 1 -1.5 L and since you'll be using the small diesel powerplant till then, the mathematics is favourable. Also if you buy a brand new car you lose more through depreciation between today and the day you decide to sell this new car.

Quote:

Other concerns
1. If I do keep it, how long can I keep it for before Chevrolet pick up their skirts and truly run? I've written to them and they refuse to provide any sort of timeline for support and parts.
2. If I do sell it, does it make sense to get rid of it for a super low resale or do I scrap it and use that incentive on a more expensive car? is there even an incentive yet?
Answers :-
1. GM entered India via China and is already on the run. Its hypothetical to say when they will "truly run"?
2. Answers provided in many sentences above.

So judging the situation, I can suggest you to stick with this car, till some unavoidable situation drives you to the wall against retaining this car.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 18:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
My vote also goes for keeping it if you are happy with it. Your satisfaction with your car is of utmost value. GTO and others have also shared their views on various other factors so I would not go into those.
My only input here is to get it remapped. Don't go for the most aggressive map out there but a remap would completely change the way it accelerates and the need to downshift would also minimise as the engine would run more freely, so not only sprinty on open roads but easier to drive in uber traffic.
Also, it changes your perception towards the car. You appreciate it more, so you respect and love it more and hence even more motivation to keep it.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 00:02   #14
BHPian

Keep it. The beat diesel is a great car. The tractable engine is a joy to use in the city and those dimensions are perfect for the new age traffic. They don't make cars like these anymore and that is sad. Please enjoy the beat for as long as you can.
aveoman19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 15:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssathiyanarayan View Post
Dear Diablo37989,

TheFonz also has a point with small EVs. Provided there is sufficient support for EVs in your area, EVs can be handy in your city running. Especially the Tata Tiago EV/ MG Comet EV sounds a good option and a reliable second fiddle to your Beat until it takes the reigns.
Thanks for this. I did check with another Uber driver Friday night who has an electric Tiago and he confirmed that TATAs shut down when it floods (at least the Tiagos used as electric taxis). Claims it happened to him. Also claims that this is a result of electrical connections placed low in the chassis?

Anyway, I think EVs will be out for now, till I know a little more about their reliability. Plus there's that whole debate on how they are actually worse for the environment than a diesel because of their batteries? So maybe not for me, and not now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks