Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:05   #31
BHPian

Re: AMT vs Manual for second city beater car

I would vote for the Hyundai Gi10 Nios MT. It's light steering , slick gearbox, light clutch, tractable petrol engine, good FE , tight turning radius, good cabin ambience alongwith great refinement will make your commutes an extremely stress free affair inspite of being a manual if you ask me.
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Dear All,

I have been piggy backing on some of the threads in the quest to get inputs for a requirement of mine: a second, city beater hatchback....
Since this is a beater car, primarily to be used in city, I would strongly recommend an automatic. We have a 2017 Celerio AMT, run 32k kms. It's an absolute boon in Pune traffic - chunky & small to maze through and it's compact footprint helps in parking too. Lifelong mileage till date is 16kmpl. Once you "know" how to drive an AMT, you won't be much bothered by it's jerkiness or under-power. I use my right foot as if I am driving a manual car. The other car I wish I evaluated seriously was Ignis AMT since it is more powerful than the Celerio but my wife didn't like it's rear so we didn't even TD. We also have a 2020 Nios Diesel Automatic which of course is far superior to Celerio AMT but I believe it's no longer on sale. Do not have much feedback on Nios Petrol Automatic. Have you considered Tiago automatic?
sam264_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:45   #33

Having driven celerio amt vxi over 1.55 lac km without a single clutch plate replacement over a period of 8 years, from my personal experience i can say that its safe to go with amt gearbox if you just know how to modulate your throttle responses. Be it in stop and go city traffic or on highway, its just as smooth as your daily manual car. My car was retrofitted with cng at 73k km and is still doing great on CNG. Just fine tune your throttle responses, its a great drive overall. Modern day amt in hyundai and maruti both are far better from previos version, but its no TC/CVT/DSG level afterall. I would suggest S-Presso amt or Celerio amt as the visibility is great for city drive.
dRC18 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:00   #34
BHPian

I would strongly recommend a used Grand i10 AT. The Sportz has stiff suspension, so go for the regular, if available
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
When I drive a manual, I lift off the gas just very briefly before an upshift, to ensure I don't overrev while the clutch is pressed, but after my upshift, I get right back on the throttle to ensure the car doesn't motorbrake. How would the AMT realize this? In fact, if I go off the gas, it might think that I want to slow down and might think of dropping a gear, right? And while the manual transmission is under my complete control, there's no real way to tell the AMT to do my bidding, as I can't lift off the gas and wait for it to upshift, as that'll never happen; what is more likely is that the speed decays a bit and it downshifts.
The AMT has specific speeds above which if the accelerator is released momentarily it will change gears, for example in the Celerio at 40 kmph it will shift from 3rd to 4th if the gas pedal is released, at 50kmph from 4th to 5th. Once the driver gets the feel of this behaviour the gear shifting is a smooth experience. Also in any scenario where you want complete control of the gears one can switch over to the manual mode.
GLAD73 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:48   #36
BHPian

If I am in your position, I will pick Espresso over any of these cars, but in AMT version as it is for city use. Using manual in city these days are troublesome.

The issues with AMT are very exaggerated in my opinion. You'll get adjusted with the AMT shifting pattern in a few days. Put that in manual mode if necessary. Get the maximum warranty from Maruti. Problem solved.

You may also try other smaller Maruti cars like Celerio/Alto K10. At the end it's all the same car/engine in different appearance.
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 20:13   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSabh View Post
I would strongly recommend a used Grand i10 AT. The Sportz has stiff suspension, so go for the regular, if available
There is no difference in the struts or springs for the Grand i10 Sportz vs regular Grand i10.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 20:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
There is no difference in the struts or springs for the Grand i10 Sportz vs regular Grand i10.
I think there is ... There has no be!
With my Sportz AT, I get a very intimate tactile experience of Bangalore's surface. This level of intimacy is not acceptable for a normal human being!
SanSabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:19   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Go eyes closed for the AMT. It is stress free, efficient and your stress levels in traffic comes down. I can say this after using the Celerio AMT for three years of commute and a total use in the house for six years and 67k kms. The shift quality only matters if you are a hard driver. Over time the Transmission learns your driving style and adjusts the shift points very well. Its only for the initial few days that the shifts feel very unpredictable and vague. After that the Magnetti Marelli unit in the Marutis do a good job in shift logic.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:31   #40
BANNED

Quote:
With my Sportz AT, I get a very intimate tactile experience of Bangalore's surface. This level of intimacy is not acceptable for a normal human being!
Thread might go off topic but there is no difference in part number for Grand i10 struts. Please get your suspension checked.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:41   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How old are your tyres, if I may ask?
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
How old are your tyres, if I may ask?
The tyres are OE Apollos from 2018, but the car has done only 5000km
Could be a subjective thing. Guess I'll have to let a little air out 😅
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:48   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tyres are OE Apollos from 2018, but the car has done only 5000km
Could be a subjective thing. Guess I'll have to let a little air out ��
I think that's where you are getting that tactile feedback from. Car is from 2018, OE tyres are often much older than the car itself.

Probably they've gone too hard with age (expected) and you may want to think about changing them. Afterall, extremely hard tyres put extra work on the suspension components. Km running doesn't matter. This is - if you feel a significant difference with other i10s compared to yours. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Reinhard : 23rd August 2022 at 21:49.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I think that's where you are getting that tactile feedback from. Car is from 2018, OE tyres are often much older than the car itself.

Probably they've gone too hard with age (expected) and you may want to think about changing them. Afterall, extremely hard tyres put extra work on the suspension components. Km running doesn't matter. This is - if you feel a significant difference with other i10s compared to yours. Just my 2 cents.
True. Apollo Tyres are known to even start off as quite hard rubber. They're made to last, comfort be damned!
I will definitely go in for a change if I can get some exchange value
Old 24th August 2022, 01:23   #45
BHPian

I personally use a top model Spresso manual as my second car to compliment my Kia Seltos - so I completely understand where you’re coming from.

There are places where the Seltos cries and the Spresso sails through. I would happily recommend the Spresso to you for all driving under 80KMPH - beyond that it’s noisy but till 80 it can actually be considered peppy.

Needless to say Maruti’s service is fuss free and consistent though not as cheap as one might imagine.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed