Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Tata Altroz DCA 123 54.91%
Hyundai i20 DCT 101 45.09%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2022, 06:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata Altroz DCA vs Hyundai i20 DCT | Which dual-clutch AT hatchback would you choose?

Name:  Tata Altroz DCA Comparo.png
Views: 1368
Size:  18.4 KB

Tata Altroz DCA

What you'll like:

• A smooth dual-clutch AT in a segment full of slow & jerky AMTs
• We find the Altroz DCA to be well-priced for what it offers
• Looks absolutely stunning! Solid build too
• Nice interior with good quality parts & adequate space
• Accommodating 345-litre boot is among the biggest in the segment
• Mature on-road behaviour, including at highway speeds. Expressway stability is exceptional
• 5-star NCAP safety rating! Safety package includes dual airbags, CSC, break reminder etc.
• Enjoyable Harman 6-speaker ICE. One of the better systems in this segment
• Impressive kit (auto park lock, auto headlamps & wipers, cruise control, ambient lighting, adjustable armrest...)
• Factory-fitted customisation packs available

What you won't:

• The long-term reliability of dual-clutch ATs has generally been poor in India
• 1.2L NA motor is weak & noisy. Better in the city than the highway. Don't expect a "Polo TSI DSG" experience at all
• DCA isn't offered on the 1.2L turbo-petrol or 1.5L diesel variants. Period
• 118 BHP Hyundai i20 turbo-petrol DCT is noticeably faster & offers superior performance
• Mature suspension does have a firm edge at low speeds (16" rim variants)
• Service visit every 6 months / 7,500 km (1 year / 10,000 km is the norm today)
• Some missing features (Eco & Sport modes, paddle shifters, idling start / stop, auto-dimming IRVM, thinner spare tyre on top trims, split-folding rear seat...)
• Tata's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble

Link to Review

Hyundai i20 DCT
Tata Altroz DCA vs Hyundai i20 DCT | Which dual-clutch AT hatchback would you choose?-hyundai-i20.jpg

Link to Review
Aditya is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 07:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz DCA vs Hyundai i20 DCT | Which dual-clutch AT hatchback would you choose?

Voted i20.

The Altroz excels in specific areas like looks, safety and potentially better DCT tech but the i20 is a better package even with its known low points.

Today the biggest arguments against the Altroz DCA is its availability only on NA motor and it being a new tech being tried out by TML so execution and issues need to be seen before taking a plunge IMHO.

Last edited by shancz : 16th April 2022 at 07:34. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 08:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz DCA vs Hyundai i20 DCT | Which dual-clutch AT hatchback would you choose?

For the purpose of the poll among these two, the Hyundai DCT. Main because of the engine compromise on the Altroz and subsequently the comment '1.2L NA motor is weak & noisy'. That is a deal breaker for me. Considering the pricing of the Hyundai, I think Tata has the headroom to bring in the turbo petrol+dct combo. Hope they do that soon. Or atleast equip the Nexon with the DCT.

In reality though, the Hyundai is too expensive in my view.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 08:43   #4
BHPian

Voted for the i20. Like others said, i20 is just a better package.

Yesterday I drove a Tiago AMT under full load for over 100 km.The engine was struggling to keep pace on the highway and I had to think too much before every overtake. While the engine was acceptable in city conditions, I just couldn't live with it out on the highway. I don't expect things to be drastically different even with a DCA.

Tata should've offered DCA on the turbo petrol regardless of the price. Give the customer options. Let them decide what's right for them.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 08:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This DCA from Tata isn't an actual DCT so perhaps not comparable to other DCTs in the market.

Considering the number of DCT equipped vehicles that Hyundai & Kia sells, it is the most durable one by far in our market.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 09:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Altroz DCA

Wet clutch over dry clutch
Value for money pricing
5 star safety
Better ride and handling package
Simpler old school engine is more tolerant to adulteration which is soon going to become mandatory (E10, E20). Direct injection turbo petrol can be very temperamental about fuel quality. For city use, the Tata motor is adequately powerful and the gearbox does the heavy lifting for you.

Altroz DCA is about perfect a city car in my opinion.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 16th April 2022 at 09:04.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 10:26   #7
BHPian

Voted i20 since it has a better engine ignoring the cost and lesser safe structure. Once Tata introduces DCA in its turbo petrol form for Altroz, it will be Altroz all the way for me.
Old 16th April 2022, 11:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Among the two, Voted for Altroz DCA. Would have been better had the DCA come with iTurbo though.

While i20 seems great in a lot of aspects (most infact), it looses out on a key aspect which is personally important to me. That’s safety. I just can’t plonk in a million bucks for a structurally unstable car. Yes even cabs that we use at times are similar but that’s not in my control. But what is in my control is the one I purchase and there I would always avoid these options. Purely personal opinion

Having said that if I have to buy a million Rupee car today it would be neither of these two. I will go with the Magnite.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 12:57   #9
BHPian

No matter how much the car has scored in GNCAP test, I’d prefer i20 over Altroz any day just for that engine.

If Polo was available now, I’d have voted for it but that’s a different story.
Old 17th April 2022, 03:45   #10
BHPian

A friend is in a similar dilemma and would appreciate feedback from folks on this forum.

Her budget is 10 lacs, car has to be an Automatic and it’s her first car. She will be using the car only for city usage and rare Mumbai-Pune highway drives. What would be a better buy for her:

Altroz XZA or I20 Sportz IVT.

She isn’t an enthusiast and has a very sedate driving style. Dilemma here is that while, i20 is more appealing on the inside and overall reliability of IVT over DCA is a factor, altroz’s driving mannerisms were impressive and has a 5 star safety rating but, the engine is quite vocal.

What would be an overall better pick considering that both cars are coming at the same price point?

Last edited by BleueNinja : 17th April 2022 at 03:57.
Old 17th April 2022, 09:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Unfair comparison. Both cars will appeal to different sets of people. While I myself may opt for the i20, my friend looking for recommendations on the first car of his entire family, he may be more satisfied with the Altroz.

It would have been a fair comparison had the Altroz been compared to the other non turbo ATs (like Jazz/Baleno) which also happen to fall in the same price/performance brackets. The NLine i20 / Polo TSI are a lot more to powerful and expensive.
Old 17th April 2022, 09:39   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
A friend is in a similar dilemma and would appreciate feedback from folks on this forum.

Her budget is 10 lacs, car has to be an Automatic and it’s her first car. She will be using the car only for city usage and rare Mumbai-Pune highway drives. What would be a better buy for her:

Altroz XZA or I20 Sportz IVT.
Help your friend experience - Baleno, Swift, i10Nios as well before taking a decision. If its an everyday car and the commute is longer consider fuel efficiency as well, else the vehicle will become a garage queen.
Old 17th April 2022, 10:18   #13
BHPian

I20 DCT any time, despite me owning a Diesel Tigor for the last 4.5 years and suggesting Tata cars to many.

Reasons:-
1- For 1.5 lakhs more you get a better engine which actually complements the DCT.
2- Tata have upped their overall general service center quality, but when it comes to complex issues or issues which require digging deep, their staff are just not trained. For ex. The multipe different TASS guys have not been able to resolve the very minor vibration noise coming from my tigors gearshift cables, not something worth worrying but it spoils the otherwise pleasant driving experience. Imagine the feat at TASS if god forbid any issue arises with this DCA gearbox. Hyundai technicians may handle such issues better.
3- After investing a million rupees you want the best of all, I20 with its superb interiors, better engine and much better service is anytime preferable. Yes! that premium over altroz is justified, and guess what you will fetch a premium over altroz in resale too whenever it may be.
4- If it is a woman who is going to drive as well as get the car serviced and visit the service centre (quite a few female colleagues of mine drive down their cars to service and personally look into the servicing) Hyundai service centres are miles ahead and hospitable than TASS, my wife hates it whenever she has to accompany me to TASS, in comparison she is always comfortable at MASS waiting lounge.
5- TASS is a hit or miss, this comes from a Tata owner himself. I have never had issues but that is due to some good personal rapport, but I have seen unhappy owners in the same workshop.

Last edited by ArTigor : 17th April 2022 at 10:22.
ArTigor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 11:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
If it's their first car i highly recommend the i20 IVT. I personally have one and its my first car too. It's extremely easy to drive and the automatic so smooth and responsive. My driving style is also pretty similar to that of your friend. The maintenance and reliability of the i20 is also a huge plus. This DCA is the first of its kind by Tata and the reduced parts and other things are concerning to me from a reliability point of view. And Tata has a track record of unpolished new products.
Old 17th April 2022, 11:36   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted for the i20.

The recent crash test results not withstanding, the i20 is the ONLY enthusiast hatch after the Polo. We have enough of reviews from the owners who all are happy with their decision.

How I only wished that this engine & gearbox combo was offered in the Altroz! I simply fail to understand why can’t TML get this ONLY thing sorted. Their Petrol engines (both NA & i-turbo) are not there yet. And the one’s which are good (1.5 Diesel) are not offered with the proper automatics.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks