Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 00:47   #1
BHPian

Which small car for the ladies at home?

A new Dilemma has started for me. Which Hatchback to buy?

Bit of a background: My 2005 Hyundai Santro Xing has completed 15 years and still going strong. But it has started showing its age with frequent repair bills of upto 10k per month. So it was decided we will replace it with a new small car. Test drove multiple cars and finalized Nexon AMT and delivered on 24 Aug. 25 Aug morning my mom says she cannot drive Nexon due to its size. Dont ask me why Nexon. It just happened.

I have a Quanto, Santro Xing and now Nexon added to the garage. Santro has been sold to my cousin. Now I have to buy a Hatchback for my mother and Wife. So decided that Quanto too has to Go.

Checked out the following today. I will be paying Cash this time so maximum budget is 8 Lakhs OTR

Wagon R - Spacious, Practical. VXi is 7.4L. Within my Budget.

Swift VXI - Needs no introduction. 7.6L. Within my Budget.

Grand i10 Nios Petrol Manual Sportz - Built Tighter and Heavier that Swift. 7.93L. Within my budget.

My Dilemma is

1. Any other car I may have missed. No Tata since I have Nexon. No Ford due to uncertainty of India Business

2. I always wanted to own Swift. Red Swift is pulling my Heart Strings. i10 Nios is dancing in my mind.

After a formal meeting between my Heart and Mind, Wagon R has been Terminated. The two Finalists are Swift Manual in Red Hot Shade and Grand i10 Nios in a Red but Sober Shade.

I am willing to allow two wild card entries to fight it out with both the Finalists. Plan is to take delivery mid September when Quanto is expected to find a new Home.

Help me Friends.
dsuman is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 08:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which small car for the ladies at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
Test drove multiple cars and finalized Nexon AMT and delivered on 24 Aug. 25 Aug morning my mom says she cannot drive Nexon due to its size. Dont ask me why Nexon. It just happened.
She'll get used to the size. Just make her drive it more. Take her out for a nice lunch, pamper her with a gift, then coax her into driving the Nexon . It's far superior to all the other options you have listed, save for the jerky AMT experience.

Quote:
After a formal meeting between my Heart and Mind, Wagon R has been Terminated. The two Finalists are Swift Manual in Red Hot Shade and Grand i10 Nios in a Red but Sober Shade.
Spend a little bit more for your heart and get the Grand i10 Nios 1.0 Turbo (Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 1.0L Turbo Petrol : Official Review). It's a lot of fun to drive, and the motor is so much better than any 1.2L NA in the market. I've had a mega time with the Aura 1.0 Turbo on the open road. The ladies will be happy, and so will you be.

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2021 at 08:54.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 10:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Since you were willing to extend budget till a Nexon, might I suggest a Honda WRV? The thing has one of the most ergonomic cabins, with huge glass areas and massive space inside. Being a Honda it will be reliable and an acceptable ASS. Don't go by it's dimensions on paper, Honda cabins are designed with visibility being one of the top considerations.

Sure it's not very exciting to drive(but it's very easy to drive), nor do the engines offer exemplary power, and neither is it a very feature rich vehicle. But the ride quality is brilliant, is particularly very easy to drive, aftersales is sorted, niggles are seldom, has an easy ingress egress due to crossover design and has the badge value of a Honda. Everything a lady would want?
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Test drove multiple cars and finalized Nexon AMT and delivered on 24 Aug. 25 Aug morning my mom says she cannot drive Nexon due to its size. Dont ask me why Nexon. It just happened
Before you buy the Swift or any other car, ensure your mom is comfortable with it's size and nimbleness too.

Quote:
So decided that Quanto too has to Go
Else you'll end up letting go the Nexon and having an Espresso

On a serious note, if your Mom has been driving for at least 2-3 years, it's a matter of time she gets the hang of Nexon and it's size. I'm guessing that she's a novice driver. Get her accustomed to it than jumping the gun and buying another car unless there's a need to sell Quanto and buy a hatch. Also, though you bought Nexon AMT you're contemplating Swift MT/Nios MT this time. If it's for your Mom, an AT is better, otherwise too.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th August 2021 at 11:22.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

These days, steering is so light (and lifeless I might add) that pretty much all cars are "easy to drive". So you need to look at other factors/features that can help lady drivers/newbie drivers/nervous drivers/elderly drivers:

- Smallish width/length
- Automatic transmission
- Parking sensors & rear view camera/display for ease of parking.
- Seat height adjust (for short folks)
- NOT turbo charged or having too much power. Steady linear power delivery seems better for newbies, especially in stop-go traffic and on inclines. I have seen too many Youtube videos of newbies wrecking their cars, after stepping on the accelerator!

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th August 2021 at 11:38.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 12:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are ok with looks, Ignis AMT is quite a good option. Compact than Swift, fun to drive and importantly gets you better visibility as you sit higher and more ground clearance. Priced on par with Wagon and Swift.
PrideRed is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 13:22   #7
MCR
BHPian

I bought my wife a Grand i10 Nios last year October and she has been loving it. The kids love it too since their momma can always talk to them while driving and she does not have to concentrate hard. Driving this car is easy thanks to the light steering, light clutch and slick shifting gear box.
My wife mostly drives inside the city and uses first three gears only. The seating position is good too and gives a good view of the road.
I occasionally drive this car (on Sundays) and rev it till the redline just for some fun with the kids.

My recommendation : Grand i10 Nios. Go for it, you will not regret it.
MCR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 14:35   #8
BHPian

• My mom has been driving since 2009. My Wife is a Newbie, in fact still learning.
  • It has to be Petrol Manual small car. Ladies not preferring Automatics.
  • Nexon will be ok for my Wife but my Mom is on shorter side. So it will cause a concern.
  • Quanto has run 1.30 L Kms. Still strong but started asking money for Maintenance. So I am kind of Inclined to sell it.
  • I dont want to push my mom to drive Nexon. She is really overwhelmed by the Size.

Will take a call in about 10 days. Thinking of various permutations and combinations. At this stage Grand i10 NIOS is a strong contender and may even win the competition. Will keep you posted. Thank You All.
dsuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 14:35   #9
BHPian

My brother gifted his wife a Grand i10 NIOS Diesel Automatic last year. She was a newbie. I drive it whenever I visit them. The car is SUPERB! Small footprint, good space inside, handy features like rear parking sensors & camera, good ICE, torquey engine, great mileage, decent ASS! We all are loving the car so much that we keep talking that we want to retain the car for the full 15 year RC validity.

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 26th August 2021 at 14:37. Reason: Grammatical correction
sam264_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 16:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Grand i10 Nios Petrol Manual Sportz - Built Tighter and Heavier that Swift. 7.93L. Within my budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spend a little bit more for your heart and get the Grand i10 Nios 1.0 Turbo (Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 1.0L Turbo Petrol : Official Review). It's a lot of fun to drive, and the motor is so much better than any 1.2L NA in the market. I've had a mega time with the Aura 1.0 Turbo on the open road. The ladies will be happy, and so will you be.
I second GTO's and MCR's recommendation for the i10 Nios Grand. My wife just test drove one for a 86 year old neighbour and he preferred it to any of the Maruti offerings in the same price range. The rear has enough room for his compact wheelchair as well.

Last edited by navin : 26th August 2021 at 16:38.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 17:34   #11
BHPian

You can consider the Polo/i20 as they are small and very easy to drive and park in the city, get proper automatic transmissions (unlike AMT) and no need to worry about the dsg as VW has moved to the torque converter, wouldn’t recommend Brio despite it being a competent city car as it’s too old to buy new now.

The real question however, I think being missed is why is the Nexon considered difficult to drive, it’s a sub 4m subcompact crossover. It appears the driver in question needs more time behind the wheel to acclimate themselves and get comfortable in any car. I would believe it not safe to let them drive alone until they’re confident in a reasonably sized vehicle. Cheers.
Old 26th August 2021, 17:48   #12
BHPian

In general, I see ladies preferring Hyundai and Kia. Not sure why but this is just an observation.
It's hard to beat the refinement levels of Hyundai and the comfortable driving experience in B1/B2 hatchback segments. If this car is for the ladies of the house, then would suggest i10 over Swift.
warrioraks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 18:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

I understand the issues with size and I cannot dispute that.
So I am assuming a cut-off width of 1700mm in my recommendations along with the 8 lakh on road limit.

My recommendations, not in order :
- i10 NIOS : just feels more easy and airy, preferable for city hops
- The Red Swift : only since you wanted it
- Ignis : like already mentioned better seating position and view if okay with the looks

Will let you decide on the models etc.
Good Luck.

Last edited by shancz : 26th August 2021 at 18:41. Reason: cocl
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 15:55   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

0Man, get the nexon.

It's not very big honestly and it is a very good car. Good set of engines and the AMT is pretty decent too. She will have easy ingress and egress too. I don't have to State the obvious safety advantage here.

It would take her a couple of days to get accustomed to.

I find nexon very compact. And quite fun to drive too.
Which small car for the ladies at home?-20210825_181558.jpg

Or wait for the Tata Punch to be released

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th August 2021 at 16:03.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 16:42   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Generally one worry they could be facing whilst moving on from the Santro is to do with the width & visibility.

Typically the WagonR excels at this, and at the same time, the Swift can be a bit cumbersome due to it's width and lower seating.
The i10 Grand seems to be another formidable option.

I would pick between one of these two options if a new car is to be brought.
That being said, do try and explain to your mother that any new option is going to be a serious downgrade in terms of ride and safety as compared to Nexon. A few trips should have her comfortable with the dimensions, and also a good explanation of all the newer features like parking sensors and reverse camera to make it easier for her to adapt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks