Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Baleno vs Glanza.
Baleno 181 30.99%
Glanza 403 69.01%
Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2019, 12:28   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
A toyota salesperson told me yes, the glanza has marginally better quality than the baleno as toyota''s quality checks and manufacturing process is more stringent and better.
So how does that work? If they are manufactured in the same plant, do some Toyota technicians take over from Suzuki technicians in the middle? Do they have separate assembly lines within the same building? How can they ensure the QC and process in a combined environment?

Also, does this, unwittingly, improve the quality of the Balenos as well?
dragntailonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 13:43   #77
BHPian

This was the news in april 2019:
''Production of Toyota Glanza would be shifted to one of TKM’s two plants in Bidadi, near Bangalore, once the automaker sorts out component sourcing. Such a move would not only improve Toyota’s capacity utilization but also would free up production capacity at Suzuki Motor’s Gujarat plant so that it can cater to Maruti’s high demand.''
Its possible that Even though the 2 cars have same engineering but if components sourcing and manufacturing process is better at toyota then the overall fit and finish can be better and niggles can be lesser.
Old 10th August 2019, 20:38   #78
Senior - BHPian

Voted Toyota. Simply because I'd buy a Toyota with my eyes closed. Experience gained over the years. Also, Suzuki servicing leaves much to be desired, the T badge is the best
Old 10th August 2019, 22:14   #79
BHPian

I would go with Glanza, the reasons being
  1. Service
    Having driven a Maruti for close to 7 years, I wouldn't want to re-live that experience all over again, if I am given a choice. Since Maruti service centres are getting too many vehicles for servicing daily, they fail to give proper attention to all vehicles. May be Nexa experience will be different, but still Toyota seems to be a better alternative here.
  2. Uniqueness
    With hundreds of Baleno hitting the ground daily plus over 6 lakhs already on ground, Glanza will stand unique in crowd
  3. Brand Value
    Marriage with Brand Toyota will add extra value to it, though it’s a child of Maruti suzuki.
Old 1st September 2019, 16:51   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Galnza continues its success story. See a figures of 2,333 and reaffirms the success of Toyota- Suzuki's badge engineering efforts.

Link
Old 11th November 2019, 06:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?

Dad and Mum's Toyota Glanza CVT top spec is now approx 5 months with us. This car must have been amongst the first ones in Madras because we booked and bought it from the dealer's ready stock within a few days of its launch.

I have recently had a foot fracture and they are visiting me in BLR and I have actually literally robbed this car from Dad for my daily office commute because I am not able to drive a manual right now.

Frankly it is just absolutely first class, spacious both in the front and in the rear, good luggage space, plenty of shoulder room and head room and very easy for any of us to get in and out of, even me, along with my crutches. It seats four persons in great Comfort.
Nice and plush interiors.
Comfy bright airy cabin despite the dark blue and black upholstery and interior trim.
Easy to use 5 speed CVT gearbox and it works perfectly.
Sports mode merely holds it in a lower gear for slightly longer but is hardly used in the city. The L mode means it stays in low gear mode but again this is hardly used in the city. It may be useful if driving up and down the hills.
The only modification we made after buying it was to chuck the OEM Apollo Alnac tyres and replace them with Yokohama Earth 1 tyres in 205/55/16 size. And now the wheel arches are exceedingly well filled, the car feels far more comfortable and grippy when driving about.
The suspension is tuned well for our bad potholed and broken city roads and the car glides along - of course one has to drive carefully in order to preserve the car.
The ground clearance of ~ 170mm is quite adequate indeed.
And while it may not have the most powerful or responsive engine and gearbox and all the typical enthusiast's tick boxes, believe me, it is an absolute breeze to use as a daily driver.
Feels perfectly planted, safe, extremely comfortable and having personally been using it for ~2 months almost daily, I find it to be one of the soundest happy investments I have made for my parents.
Dad and Mum love it.
My wife and I also love it.

I think the badge engineering comments, the other comments about it not being a high performance car and all the other criticism notwithstanding, this car is really worth it for the purpose to which 90-95% of the buying public will put it to- as described above.

My parents breeze along between Madras and Bangalore on the highway and this trip being the first, my Dad was perfectly pleased with the car's
performance.

He definitely prefers it to the I20 manual petrol which he earlier had.

He is happy too, with the Glanza's overtaking ability in the small ghat sections between Madras and Bangalore.

And its fuel efficiency is fine - we are experiencing approx 11 in the city and 13 on the highway.

All I would have wanted more in it is the option of 6 Airbags like one gets in the Manual Top Spec, an engine capable of 100 bhp like the Baleno RS and rear disc brakes.

If it had been available in such a spec with an 7-8 speed CVT gearbox, it would have been too good!

But even it is stock trim - this Petrol V - AT (CVT) version of the Toyota Glanza is a very good car.

I am happy to endorse it as a happy user.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th November 2019 at 06:46.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 09:36   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Easy to use 5 speed CVT gearbox and it works perfectly.

If it had been available in such a spec with an 7-8 speed CVT gearbox, it would have been too good!
Actually this is incorrect. The Baleno (Glanza too obviously) is not a 5 speed CVT. It is a 0 step CVT. There are no fake steps in the CVT box unlike what honda and Toyota do.

A CVT is infinite gears and it just moves the CVT belt across the conical pulley. A 7 step means there are pre programmed positions on the pulley where the belt jumps to.

With the 7 step CVT the only thing you will feel is fake shifts to make it feel like a regular geared automatic transmission.

Quote:
All I would have wanted more in it is the option of 6 Airbags like one gets in the Manual Top Spec, an engine capable of 100 bhp like the Baleno RS and rear disc brakes.
There is no 6 airbags in any Baleno or Glanza model in India. Only the RS gets rear disc brakes as additional.

On a side note. A bit amusing that your previous post was about Maruti mania and Toyota obsession whereas here you are endorsing a car built by Maruti for Toyota
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 04:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually this is incorrect. The Baleno (Glanza too obviously) is not a 5 speed CVT. It is a 0 step CVT. There are no fake steps in the CVT box unlike what honda and Toyota do.

There is no 6 airbags in any Baleno or Glanza model in India. Only the RS gets rear disc brakes as additional.

On a side note. A bit amusing that your previous post was about Maruti mania and Toyota obsession whereas here you are endorsing a car built by Maruti for Toyota

Thanks for the correction on the CVT.
I am aware there are no 6 Airbags in the variants presently on offer but I really wish there were.
Yes in this case I endorse the Glanza - specifically for the user profile, need state and specific use cases and purpose to which it is being put, which are outlined in my post.

It may not be an enthusiast's car but it is most certainly a sensible and functional one.

Thats why I bought it for my parents.
Old 14th November 2019, 18:53   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am happy to endorse it as a happy user.

I have been using it from the past month and find it extremely comfortable to drive within city limits. I have the G - Mild Hybrid version though. Gives an excellent mileage of 18 Kmpl in Bangalore City traffic.
naveen.maverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 19:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

I banged my Dad's Glanza on one of our beautifully designed HSR speed breakers yesterday (just 250metres from my house), while trying to negotiate it sideways so as to save the underbody and now the under bumper black plastic engine protector guard cover crashed onto that speed breaker and came off because its plastic clips broke.
The underside of the bumper also is viciously scratched. One side of the bumper too has sustained paint scratches.
I limped home slowly with the plastic guard scraping along the ground.
The Toyota Field Service chaps were super helpful - I rang them and they came within 20 min and temporarily reset the guard and they told me that they need to ramp the vehicle and replace those clips and if I wished, get the bumper re painted by Toyota themselves. At a cost of approx 3500/-.
This car has done only 2200kms but the Bangalore speed breakers are harming it terribly.
To me, the front bumper and air dam design is very ill thought out considering our vicious roads. It is extremely prone to scrape led paint damage.
Its really irritating that our hard earned cars have to go through this kind of rubbish every day on account of the apathy of our Bangalore Administration!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 19:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

So we have installed these suspension dampers in the Glanza now - like the Rogerab ones that were installed in Dad's earlier I 20 and in my Yeti. These new ones are called JupiTune Car Suspension Modulators.
They really really help on these wicked broken bumpy pot holed roads and speed breakers that we have to deal with daily in Bangalore.
No longer does the vehicle 'crash' into potholes and crash over speed breakers. Since these dampers add a little extra ground clearance atleast one will be able to save the poor undersides of the front bumpers, engine protectors and of course the rear too, when the car has a full load.
We have found these dampers to work very well for us in Bangalore - since early 2016 when we first fitted them onto our other cars. We expect to experience the same results with the Glanza too.
Old 26th November 2019, 23:03   #87
BHPian

I recently went to a Nexa dealership to check out the Hybrid Baleno. As per the Nexa JP Nagar - Bangalore dealership, the Hybrid variant is only available as Glanza.

Is this in-fact true? If the Hybrid variant is only available with Toyota, that'd make getting the Baleno from Toyota only unless you are looking for the Sigma and Delta variants.
Old 27th November 2019, 17:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

JupITune Suspension Dampers.
Wow!
Coupled with the Yoko Earth 1 -205/55/16 tyres which we fitted immediately after taking delivery on Dad's Glanza V AT there is no more fear of the evil Bangalore speedbreakers and potholes and craters!
Fitted at Tyre Empire HSR - Rs 7800/-

Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574854480.704084.jpg
Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574854495.956880.jpg
Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574854507.590985.jpg
Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574854530.506342.jpg
Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574854543.819845.jpg
Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574854564.687880.jpgMaruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574854583.080635.jpg
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

Just did a quick comparison between the top 2 manual models. Baleno looks to be the most sensible choice here. Of course the pricing was with the 50% discount on Road Tax in Goa which has since ended. If you factor in the 2nd and 3rd year 3rd Party to Comprehensive Insurance addition cost, the Glanza pricing will be almost same as the Baleno. And then you end up with a total of 5 years Warranty on the Baleno vs 4 years on the Glanza.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-screenshot-20200102-10.23.09.png  

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 2nd January 2020 at 10:29.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 21:53   #90
BHPian

I did two short test drives on Baleno and Glanza, both top end CVTs. I found that the Glanza has a lighter steering compared to the Baleno. Glanza's steering is super light, wasn't comfortable initially. The engine response is better in Glanza, on a tap on the accelerator pedal. Baleno has better brakes. The Baleno had a bit of struggle to gather speed on a slight incline with four adults on board. I could not do the same test on Glanza due to lack of time and heavy traffic. The Baleno engine noise (whirrng sound) was bit more compared to Glanza. The so called "rubber band" effect was more pronouced in Baleno. May be due to higher load (four adults) on Baleno versus two on Glanza.
Roads in my neighbourhood are bad; the Glanza was slightly better on those roads. But thsi could be due to higher tyre pressure on the Baleno. I am not sure, I didn't check the pressure.
Could it be due to the fact that the Toyota car was pretty newer compared to the Baleno? Don't know for sure.
I also liked the fact that the Toyota salesman was not as insistent as the Nexa salesman. I am getting two calls daily from the Nexa showroom since the TD.

Another important point: the MID wasn't showing the distance covered; it was reset to some 9999 or some thing like that. I was bit surprised.

Price wise, both are neck to neck. May be a 10k difference at best.

Overall, it's a tough call between the two. However, if I am buying this car, I would most likely pick the Glanza over Baleno.

Thanks
Pratim
pratim is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks