Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which premium hatchback would you choose?
Honda Jazz 299 42.78%
Hyundai Elite i20 400 57.22%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2015, 13:16   #241
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20

[quote=vishnurajanme;3784964]Keshav, 2 points to add. Your best bet will be to take the asta. Asta(O) gets a fully loaded touchscreen with a dozen knobs and buttons at 28K more the onroad price of asta but loses on auto dimming irvms.

I agree, I am also leaning towards the Elite i20 Asta. The only thing stopping me is the soon to be released Figo hatchback.I will take a quick comparo once its out and then take a call
Old 24th August 2015, 15:28   #242
BHPian

Morning guys,

Did TD of i20 and Jazz back to back this Saturday. Few observations

i20 - Asta (O)
  • Interior quality, fit & finish was perfect. No complaints. We will love to be in the drivers seat of this car & admire the console.
  • I found the front seats uncomfortable. Back was paining after a very short TD. Could be the seat was not aligned properly. However this issue was in the i20 diesel and not in i20 petrol. Do they have different seats?
  • Steering wheel felt slippery. Don't know if it was due to oily/sweaty hands of previous drivers or material is such.
  • MID gave loads of information and the black/white tone adds to the premium feel. In front of this, Jazz feels so basic.
  • Diesel NVH was far better than Jazz, but engine was still audible. Power of Jazz better.
  • Rear seats very cramped. Ingress & egress difficult. Again, could be because of incline angle.
  • Rear headroom serious issue. Anyone above 5'8" will bang their heads on the roof if the car is driven with "josh".
  • No car with the touchscreen AVN yet in Pune so did not get a glance of the unit.
    Wife said the car looked flat & not very tall. Mom felt the design was getting old. Viewed the car beside a new Jazz and the height was similar. Perhaps the illusion of the darkened C pillar.
  • Will TD again next week in a different showroom. Perhaps the seats will be better in the i20 of a different dealer.
  • Price inclusive of RSA and internal mats. Still 20K cheaper than JAZZ.
  • Available in 2 year EMI option. Big plus for me. Jazz has min 3 years.

Jazz - VX
  • Space phenomenal. black magic seats makes the car feel premium.
  • Center console felt good, especially in the dark.
  • I found that the cables inside the glovebox could be drawn out and teh glovebox closed without any issue. So using a charger or Aux does not mean the mobile needs to be kept inside the glovebox at all times.
  • Heard bluetooth cannot be paired when car is being driven? Is this really true? Whats the use of bluetooth then?
  • Touchscreen responsiveness was adequate.
  • No under engine cover in Petrol. Worried more about damage due to water, since i need to drive through some huge lakes on the road during monsoon.
  • Features comparison with i20 is like 3/15. i20 scores in terms of features.
  • No mats inside the car. No reverse sensors. No smartkey. I need these 3 more than auto headlamps, take me home lights & start/stop button.
  • Sales rep in showroom had no idea if rear washer is integrated in spoiler. On being asked, he flatly said "Nahi hai sir".
  • Jazz - Amaze with an expensive sofa in place of seats?
  • Also with 20K cheaper, the i20 is slowly pulling me towards itself.
Old 24th August 2015, 16:17   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
Morning guys,
  • Heard bluetooth cannot be paired when car is being driven? Is this really true? Whats the use of bluetooth then
  • No under engine cover in Petrol. Worried more about damage due to water, since i need to drive through some huge lakes on the road during monsoon.
Hi Aveek. I have a VX. I faced no such issue while pairing the smartphone with the car's AVN system. My dad had just started driving when I completed pairing the phone with the AVN. I even made a call. Regarding the second point, I think rust control should do the job of protecting the engine underside. Many cars dont have such covering. My dad's WagonR probably didn't. And my dad didn't face any issues over the 11 years.
Old 24th August 2015, 17:33   #244
Senior - BHPian

Jazz, no question, because if you want an auto transmission, the i20 is out of the reckoning. Even if it did have one, Hyundai would probably still flog their decade-old, trusty four speeder. And against that too, the Jazz would win for more modern tech.
Old 24th August 2015, 19:57   #245
BHPian

Maybe the seats are misaligned. Have you adjusted the height/angle of the seats before seating? This may be the issue.

According to me, the front seats are very comfy. Regarding power, did you drive at lower rpms? Jazz has a linear power delivery. So if we drive the jazz and the i20, we will feel the jazz is powerful till 2000rpms and after the turbo spools in, the i20 makes its presence felt.

Note from Support - Please type in full English and avoid SMS lingo. Your post has been edited accordingly.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th August 2015 at 13:50.
Old 25th August 2015, 22:02   #246
Senior - BHPian

About the MID, I don't know what additional information the I20 shows but it doesn't show a very basic FE/DTE which is useful. The Jazz is not an Amaze with some features and mods. There is a huge difference in quality and safety.

The I20 vs Jazz debate should be pretty simple to decide once you know your priorities right.

Jazz offers space and practicality..I20 offers more features.
Also, I think Jazz handles quite a bit better than the I20 though that might not be a deciding factor for many.

I always thought that the petrol Jazz is a better option but diesel I20 is a better package. But after my short test drive of the Jazz diesel, my opinion about the diesel engine has changed. It has got excellent drive-ability and is effortless to drive in City. The I20 in comparison feels pretty lethargic at low rpms and turbo lag is noticeable till 1800 rpm or so. Also, the much criticized NVH of the diesel surprised me as I had really low expectation after reading the reviews. It's nowhere close to the I20 but a lot better than the Amaze.So, it might not be a deal breaker for many. Add to the fact that the IDTEC offers much better mileage than the I20 diesel and things become a lot closer than I had expected.

The poll initially had Jazz at 20% and now it's up to 38%. Not too bad I would say!
Old 26th August 2015, 17:44   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
About the MID, I don't know what additional information the I20 shows but it doesn't show a very basic FE/DTE which is useful. The Jazz is not an Amaze with some features and mods. There is a huge difference in quality and safety.

The I20 vs Jazz debate should be pretty simple to decide once you know your priorities right.

Jazz offers space and practicality..I20 offers more features.
Also, I think Jazz handles quite a bit better than the I20 though that might not be a deciding factor for many.

I always thought that the petrol Jazz is a better option but diesel I20 is a better package. But after my short test drive of the Jazz diesel, my opinion about the diesel engine has changed. It has got excellent drive-ability and is effortless to drive in City. The I20 in comparison feels pretty lethargic at low rpms and turbo lag is noticeable till 1800 rpm or so. Also, the much criticized NVH of the diesel surprised me as I had really low expectation after reading the reviews. It's nowhere close to the I20 but a lot better than the Amaze.So, it might not be a deal breaker for many. Add to the fact that the IDTEC offers much better mileage than the I20 diesel and things become a lot closer than I had expected.

The poll initially had Jazz at 20% and now it's up to 38%. Not too bad I would say!
FE & DTE is required yes, but I am jumping form a 2004 car which had nothing to a 2015 car. i20 offers a lot more features than Jazz or any other premium hatchback. How practical they are is debatable. However, its 20K cheaper than jazz and all you get in Jazz VX is space & magic seats & AVN. Its a lot to pay for space. i20 feels more premium from the inside for sure (consider plastic quality & finish). The Amaze line should have been surrounded with "".

My priorities are safety & space. Safety features is the same in both cars. Both come with 2 airbags. Jazz doesnt have rear sensors & VX offers single viewing mode (so does i20, but it's adaptive guidelines at least).

If you are looking to drive in a home-office-home mode, its a close debate since I found both cars equally versatile & both handle well enough in bumper to bumper traffic. Disadvantage of Jazz is the huge A pillar.

My travels are ~1500 Km per month, so a petrol will more than suffice. Trust me admicra, I was a die hard fan of the JAZZ and have always waited to own one . But personally, I cannot put 8.4L on a car with space and hardly any features. Just space & magic seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Keshav, 2 points to add. Your best bet will be to take the asta. Asta(O) gets a fully loaded touchscreen with a dozen knobs and buttons at 28K more the onroad price of asta but loses on auto dimming irvms.
Have you recieved the confirmation on the auto dimming IRVM? I had the same query & received the following response. Now I am confused.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3787708

Last edited by Aditya : 27th August 2015 at 06:57. Reason: Merged back to back posts
AveekKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 19:00   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me admicra, I was a die hard fan of the JAZZ and have always waited to own one . But personally, I cannot put 8.4L on a car with space and hardly any features. Just space & magic seats
Hey Aveek, you have highlighted your priorities and logic for choosing the I20. As they say, to each his own. I believe both are excellent products and whatever one chooses will be based on his/her priorities. I believe the I20 and Jazz will expand the market for premium hatchbacks.

Wish you all the best with your new car.

One request - Nowadays I am seeing lot of I20's with chrome grill on the front. Personally, I hate it and it spoils the look the car. Request you to not do so

PS - I thin the Asta(O) with AVN does not have the electrochromic IVRM. It is a regular one with day-night button/switch.
Old 27th August 2015, 15:48   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
One request - Nowadays I am seeing lot of I20's with chrome grill on the front. Personally, I hate it and it spoils the look the car. Request you to not do so
Adimicra, let me try to sound like Mr Goswami. I will never ever, ever ever, ever ever, choose that horrible chrome grill
For me it spoils the look more than enhancing it. Many people like the overdose of chrome. Not me.

However, I am planning to get the roof painted black to add some more sportiness to the car in Passion red. Kothari Hyundai here in Pune is giving a paint job(rather a black sticker sorts) on the roof for 7K. I found it a bit expensive, but it does add to the looks. Image the White Jazz too with a black roof. I think it will look super cool.
Old 27th August 2015, 17:36   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Adimicra, let me try to sound like Mr Goswami. I will never ever, ever ever, ever ever, choose that horrible chrome grill
For me it spoils the look more than enhancing it. Many people like the overdose of chrome. Not me.

However, I am planning to get the roof painted black to add some more sportiness to the car in Passion red. Kothari Hyundai here in Pune is giving a paint job(rather a black sticker sorts) on the roof for 7K. I found it a bit expensive, but it does add to the looks. Image the White Jazz too with a black roof. I think it will look super cool.
Dude, 7k is too much for the paintjob. Check elite forum. Guys have done it for around 3k.
Old 28th August 2015, 13:28   #251
BHPian

Gentlemen, please don't get me wrong. In a country like India, where there is plenty of sunshine almost all round the year, isn't painting the roof of a car (or any other object) black a bit strange? Black colour objects are supposed to be good absorbers of heat. I agree it looks sporty in a car, but doesn't this affect the performance of the AC?
Flanker99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 15:55   #252
BHPian

Flanker, I have one doubt then. What will be the case with all black cars? Seeing many all black cars these days.
Old 28th August 2015, 16:14   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Dude, 7k is too much for the paintjob. Check elite forum. Guys have done it for around 3k.
Can you send me some links?
Old 28th August 2015, 17:26   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Flanker, I have one doubt then. What will be the case with all black cars? Seeing many all black cars these days.
Hello vishnurajanme. I guess then it's all a matter of personal tastes.

But seriously, I often used to wonder whether AC performance gets affected by car colour. But then, this is not a topic for this thread.

Cheers.
Old 28th August 2015, 20:35   #255
Senior - BHPian

Agreed it's off topic but darker colored cars will tend to get hotter.. So coloring the roof black will affect the AC performance. I myself thought about the idea but dropped it.. I guess better sense prevailed

Sorry for going off topic.. But promise to not post anything more on this topic in this thread
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks