Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 13:49   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hey fellas!

Need your expert opinion on cars to consider for the wife.

We toyed with the idea of picking up a used car within 4L, but then we scrapped it considering that there are always pitfalls with used cars. So a new hatch it is.

With the above points in mind, what are our choices? My preference is as follows:

1. Hyundai Eon
2. Maruti Suzuki Alto K10
3. Maruti Suzuki Wagon R 1.0
4. Datsun Go

So what are your thoughts? Please share so we can make an informed decision soon. Thanks in advance & cheers!
Okay I've been bad I have not confined to the points listed above and instead, I will try and urge you to go the used car route. Unfortunately the Indian market demands a lot for very little and this gives rise to cars such as the Wagon R, Datsun Go, Eon etc which according to me, are a poor example of what the 21st century has to offer. Also, and I suppose most importantly, these cars can be fatal during a car crash. Which, considering we are in India where whether or not you crash, does not depend entirely upon you, should be a major factor that sways you against such cars.

Buying a used car might be risky but who said that a well informed person will have to take these risks? Shortlist a bunch of safe, easy to maintain, petrol cars. Plenty of names from the premium hatchback space come to mind like the Jazz, Swift, Micra etc. I would infact go as far as to recommend a used SX4. Then, take some time searching for the right car, soak in all the knowledge you can about a particular model (use this forum to its fullest mate ), go through threads on how to buy a used car, and finally, take along a trusty mechanic to check out said car/s. You ought to be good.

Cheers!
Old 20th May 2014, 14:12   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Then, take some time searching for the right car, soak in all the knowledge you can about a particular model (use this forum to its fullest mate ), go through threads on how to buy a used car, and finally, take along a trusty mechanic to check out said car/s. You ought to be good.

Cheers!
No.Used.Cars. Period.

Will not let the wife get a used car. Simply will not expect her to care for the used car the way I cared for our first buy, which incidentally was a used car.

So thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 20th May 2014 at 14:13.
Old 20th May 2014, 15:17   #828
BHPian

in petrol hatch , Datsun GO is a very good choice
Old 20th May 2014, 17:26   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
The wife and I have planned to start taking TD's of these cars by this weekend.
I'm going outside of the shortlist but for a reason. The need is for a car with effective torque and more accommodating gearing across speeds for easy city driving. As you have considered Eon, also consider the old shape i10, there is hardly any difference in size except where it matters (more elbow room and marginally more luggage space). I don't know if you are going for the 0.8 litre or 1 litre engine of Eon but the i10 is better than both in gear spacing/torque. The extra 50+kg weight ensures better planted feel, & its interiors are a generation ahead of K10/GO/WagonR in quality and tactile feel.

Since the discounts are high for i10, it maybe most practical of the lot. It is far more wider and spacious than Alto/W.R. Go is the most spacious of all but interiors/seats are severely compromised. If F.E is a big factor then Alto it is.
Old 23rd May 2014, 17:38   #830
BHPian

Well, we just wrapped up TD's of the Eon 0.8 Magna+ & the Alto 800. The Alto K10 was not available for a TD today, so we will be checking it out tomorrow.

The Eon's interiors are light years ahead of anything from the Maruti Stable. All the bits and bobs felt very durable. The refinement is unbelievable. You really have to strain your ears to hear the engine at all. Stereo was just about average. Speaker upgrade will be a must. AC was decent, although it could have had something to do with the TD car standing out in the sun since morning, when we took it for a drive. Though it did make the car bearable in about 5-10 minutes. Tried explaining to the wife that we can't expect too much from a car with a piddly 800cc engine. She calmly said - "Let's check out the Alto and then compare". Righto then, moving on to the Alto.

There was a Maruti showroom very nearby, and we reached there in a jiffy. Sadly the K10 was not available. Instead we looked at the Alto 800. Space was decent, though it was a smidgen less than the Eon. The quality of the plastics inside were possibly the worst I've ever seen fitted in a car. However, that being said, when we took the car out for a TD, boy o boy did the AC surprise us! At full speed, it cooled down the entire cabin in less than 5 minutes. The wife was ga-ga over that, as was I. Yes the AC does sap a huge load of power from the engine, but even so it was magnificent! One thing to note, was the gearshift. If you can call that a gearshift. Mother of god! The gearshift quality is atrocious. The noise it made while shifting from 2nd to 3rd! We could hear it, even when the AC was at full blast! I didn't bother asking whether this was a problem with that car, as we would not consider this car anyway.

Both the cars have their pros and cons, but the Eon has a slight edge when it comes to road manners, refinement, interior space, and the feel good factor. While the Alto 800 is cheap, it also feels extremely built to a price. The Eon, while being much more expensive than the Alto, felt it was well worth the price. Tomorrow we're going to check out the much fabled K10. Perhaps squeeze in another TD of the Eon. I was very keen to check out the Eon with the 1.0 Kappa engine. I've told the SE to inform us when it is available for a test drive. Lets see where things go from here. Thanks to all who replied to my posts earlier. Keep those revs up!
Old 23rd May 2014, 18:22   #831
Senior - BHPian

Though I hate to see people settle for cars in this segment these days, I must say that if the fabled Maruti Suzuki reliability and service is not your top priority, then please checkout the Datsun Go it is simply put, the better car in it's segment.
Old 25th May 2014, 13:45   #832
BHPian

After quite a bit of window shopping and dilly dallying between B2/C2 segmenters, I've finally decided to stick to B2 for now (Somehow the current crop of C1s appear to be in no-mans land, so they're all ruled out) Considered most options in B2 and based on my expectations, narrowed down to two options - either the swift zxi or Toyota Liva vdsp. I know these two are dissimilar in many ways. My requirements (and some un-requirements) in order are

(1) Serviceability/durability and lower cost of routine maintenance
(2) Long term reliability and headache free (read no visits to the A S S except for routine maintenance) - intend to to keep the car for 7 - 10 years
(3) Space, comfort and luggage area - OK if luggage area is not outstanding
(4) Low running, hence dont care much for FE
(5) Despise integrated headrests and 3 cylinder engines. They're a are a deal breaker - no logical reasons for this
(6) Power
(7) Dont care for features lacking (IMO) utility value e.g. auto headlamps, DRLs, auto wipers, climate control, push button start, sunroof/moonroof, high end audio system with touch screen, MID capable of displaying your body temperature, BP and sugar level (kidding , dont completely trust most numbers thrown up by most MIDs)
(8) Feel good factor and pride of ownership

I understand some of the points above may be subjective, but I generally base my judgment on how a well a car performing it's basic function - safe & dependable transportation and how much it's features augment this basic function.

It's probably also evident based on the above points why the swift zdi, hyundai, ford, fiat, honda, VW, skoda, renault, nissan, chevrolet and tata (and any others I missed) did not make the cut.

In short, the swift zdi was ruled out mainly due to the (perceived) higher maintenance costs and the liva vdsp made it in due to the (perceived) petrol car like maintenance costs, space and toyota reliability.

The swift zxi is in because of the refined petrol engine and (perceived) lower maintenance than the zdi.

I'll be grateful if owners/experts could help point out more +es and -es of these cars that could help me decide. Please also correct me in case I've made any errors in info gathering. Thanks.
Old 25th May 2014, 23:11   #833

Hi All,

I am planning for a Hatch with budget range of 5-6 lakhs, limited running of 500 km / month.
My constraint is limited parking space approx 3500 mm.
Searching for a low maintenance, sporty look, good Serviceability/ dealer network, with ABS Hatch car..
Can experienced help me out with my constraint.. Looking forward for positive response..

Sorry if its not a correct place to ask this question.. but i am wandering all with no clue on my query..
Old 26th May 2014, 01:07   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technorahul View Post
Hi All,

I am planning for a Hatch with budget range of 5-6 lakhs, limited running of 500 km / month.
My constraint is limited parking space approx 3500 mm.
Searching for a low maintenance, sporty look, good Serviceability/ dealer network, with ABS Hatch car..
Can experienced help me out with my constraint.. Looking forward for positive response..

Sorry if its not a correct place to ask this question.. but i am wandering all with no clue on my query..
The only car that I can think of which fits your requirements to the T is the Honda Brio. The top V spec should fit in your budget which has both ABS and Airbags.
Old 26th May 2014, 01:23   #835
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by technorahul View Post
Hi All,

I am planning for a Hatch with budget range of 5-6 lakhs, limited running of 500 km / month. My constraint is limited parking space approx 3500 mm. Searching for a low maintenance, sporty look, good Serviceability/ dealer network, with ABS Hatch car..
With the above needs only the Brio is worthy IMO.

Anurag.
Old 26th May 2014, 19:46   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
...help me
Sombody? Anybody??

I'm trying to finalize within a week or two

Last edited by isiv : 26th May 2014 at 19:48. Reason: Rephrased
Old 26th May 2014, 20:27   #837
BANNED

Quote:

Considered most options in B2 and based on my expectations, narrowed down to two options - either the swift zxi or Toyota Liva vdsp. I know these two are dissimilar in many ways. My requirements (and some un-requirements) in order are

(1) Serviceability/durability and lower cost of routine maintenance
The Liva being a Toyota is bullet proof in reliability and with respect to A.S.S., but I will not say the Swift is not too costly in maintenance but I cannot comment on ZXi variant as I own a Swift ZDi.

Rating:

Liva: 9/10
Swift: 8/10

Quote:
(2) Long term reliability and headache free (read no visits to the A S S except for routine maintenance) - intend to keep the car for 7 - 10 years
Both rock in reliability and general services. So I give 9/10 for both the Liva and Swift.

Quote:
(3) Space, comfort and luggage area - OK if luggage area is not outstanding
Swift will be my pick here though I have driven the Liva for a brief distance.

Quote:
(4) Low running, hence dont care much for FE
Swift is my pick here again since it is a FTD, looks cool and has an upmarket feel.

Quote:
(5) Despise integrated headrests and 3 cylinder engines. They're a are a deal breaker - no logical reasons for this
Didn't get this point buddy.

Quote:
(6) Power
Swift has good amounts of power as the K-Series is a best in the petrol in its segment.

Quote:
(7)Dont care for features lacking (IMO) utility value e.g. auto headlamps, DRLs, auto wipers, climate control, push button start, sunroof/moonroof, high end audio system with touch screen, MID capable of displaying your body temperature, BP and sugar level (kidding, dont completely trust most numbers thrown up by most MIDs)
Quote:
(8) Feel good factor and pride of ownership
Swift will give you enough happiness and pride in ownership. I am not saying that the Liva is a bad car but the dealer breaker in Liva for me is the dashboard solely.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 21:02   #838
BHPian

ok, i know it's been a long, long time here but was kind of tied up in a lot of different things. Last I was on this forum, I had booked my metallic grey Swift zxi. Now seven months, two servicings, 7000km and one long drive outstation later, I can safely say that I didn't make a mistake. Thanks to everyone who advised/suggested/helped me with the decision.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by bblost : 27th May 2014 at 00:11. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option when posting within 30mins on the same thread.
uthra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 22:28   #839
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Congrats on your new car. Many of the new generation cars can attain the kind of speed you have mentioned. However, is it safe on our roads no matter which?

That too with your family and a child. I know you are the best judge of your family's safety, but being a part of this community I believe the minimum we can do is refrain from mentioning such illegally high speeds because apart from being unsafe, it is also against the norms of the forum.

Regards

Last edited by bblost : 27th May 2014 at 00:11. Reason: Quoted post removed for high speed mention.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 22:43   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Didn't get this point buddy.
Meant to say I dislike integrated headrests e.g. the pre-refresh etios/liva, current brio/amaze etc. Ditto for cars with 3 cylinder engines e.g. micra petrol and the 1.2L polos (except the tsi). These attributes of a car are deal breakers for me.

Incidentally, I too had a tough time digesting the central console, single wiper and tin can like feel of the liva... I considered it only because during the test drive, it did not feel quite as terrible as I'd imagined - the drivers seat was surprisingly comfortable and so was the rear bench with very reasonable NVH levels. It appears the refreshed versions have some significant improvements.

Last edited by bblost : 27th May 2014 at 00:12. Reason: Quoted post removed for high speed mention.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks