Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 09:22   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic 1.3

Bargain and get more discounts and get the insurance from outside. All the Best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Toyota's are durable.Period.
UPDATE: They have booked an Amaze diesel S MT after comparing on-road prices of the competitors(swift VDi / Liva GD).

And now, it is for me:

I got a good offer for my Ikon, so looking to decide between a new Fiat Punto Multijet(very good offers) and the Ford Figo tdci.

The requirements are the same:

1) Daily farm runs on broken village roads.
2) weekend 100 km drive to the city and back.
3) Occasional highway trips(200-500 km one-way) to temples.

FIAT has a new (exclusive) dealer at Coimbatore, CAI, so i guess service experience will be better.

I have lived with a Palio 1.9D for about an year, and now with a Fiesta classic for the past 2 years, so i love both fiat and ford, and now confused which one to choose.
Old 17th October 2013, 11:44   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
So looking to decide between a new Fiat Punto Multijet(very good offers) and the Ford Figo tdci.

The requirements are the same:

1) Daily farm runs on broken village roads.
2) weekend 100 km drive to the city and back.
3) Occasional highway trips(200-500 km one-way) to temples.

FIAT has a new (exclusive) dealer at Coimbatore, CAI, so i guess service experience will be better.

I have lived with a Palio 1.9D for about an year, and now with a Fiesta classic for the past 2 years, so i love both fiat and ford, and now confused which one to choose.
ramzsys, I was in between the same dilemma while I were to pick a replacement for my GETZ.

Figo : Has less turbo lag --> Better City performance

But Everything else according to your requirement I would vote for Punto.

1) Broken City Roads : Puntos Mature suspension with 185MMGC helps , compared to Figos 165mm

2) 100KM Drive to City and Back : Both are good handlers , but I am inclined to say punto might fare well ( No experience with Figo) , because of 195/60 tyres.

3) Highway drives : Both are capable of high speeds , but punto is an absolute bliss on highway, the way it holds line on the corner is

Figo would be lighter on the vallet, the Titanium might be substantially priced lower than Punto MJD.

P.S: I ended up buying a punto 90Hp , and I love the car
Old 18th November 2013, 15:46   #678
BHPian

This might be an odd question but how does the Fiesta (New) Diesel compare with the Punto 90hp ?
The Fiesta Style variant with a discount of 1.5 lakh rupees comes to around 9.3l otr Chennai while the Punto is a lakh lesser.
Is the Fiesta worth the 1 lakh premium over the Punto?
jvm_1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 18:20   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvm_1986 View Post
This might be an odd question but how does the Fiesta (New) Diesel compare with the Punto 90hp ?
The Fiesta Style variant with a discount of 1.5 lakh rupees comes to around 9.3l otr Chennai while the Punto is a lakh lesser.
Is the Fiesta worth the 1 lakh premium over the Punto?
Yes, definitely it is. If its just 1 lakh over fiesta, l'll say get it eyes closed. It drives better, is mostly on par with punto in handling, department, if not better. Plus, for 1 lakh extra, you're getting a full fledged sedan, over a hatch.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 13:00   #680

Fiat Punto (Diesel or petrol) or i10 grand, help me make a decision

Can you please key in your recent experience with Punto (diesel and Petrol versions) and how it compares with the competition ... especially with i10 Grand. I am finding it really tough to make a decision. Fiat is offering a cash discount to the tune of one lakh.

That's right, they are offering cash discount upto one lakh plus exchange value for any old car ... which comes closer to 1.5 lacs less on the OTR overall. They are offering this only on 2013 models. So the mid variant (Punto-Dynamic) will be around 6 lacs for diesel and about 4.9L for petrol. This offer is nothing less than a LOOT for the customer.

I TDed Punto diesel and Petrol yesterday. The diesel version is a BIRD. Solid build and stability. But I felt petrol version is a bit underpowered given its weight (1120 Kg) nearly as innvova and its puny 1.2 lt engine. But some of the earlier T-BHP reviews say that even it's petrol variant is not so bad after all.

Agreed, after sales service are not in the league of Hyundai or Maruthi, but I think it is steadily improving. The cost of spares too, they say, have come down since they are now manufactured in their Pune plant instead of importing from Europe as they did earlier.

On the other hand Hyundai won't reduce even a penny on i10 Grand. I did a TD of i10 grand (diesel) today... and BOYYYYY... it's a beauty I am totally floored by its drivability and practicality. I am yet to drive its petrol version. The sales guy says if one drove i20 petrol then he need not drive i10 grand petrol again, for it's the same engine in both.

So, if anybody can please advice and with thoughts on the long term ownership experience of PUNTO (Diesel or Petrol), it'll be of great help for me in making a final decision.

Head is with Punto, heart is with i10 - that's my present condition. lol

*(I can come back and respond to the replies only tonight since I have limited access to internet from office.)

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd December 2013 at 23:49. Reason: only 2 smileys allowed per post, please read the rules carefully before proceeding. Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:06   #681
BHPian

Re: Fiat Punto (Diesel or petrol) or i10 grand, help me make a decision

I've been in the same boat until recently , when I finally brought home the 90 HP . I had a punto active , the base variant , in its petrol avatar , was my first car . The first batch of puntos , had a clutch like a truck , steering was very hard . And so I decided to sell it and buy a new car . Just last year , I'd bought a Ertiga so I was getting addicted to the Diesel torque and the feather light steering and I thought nothings better than a Maruti . So i gave fiat a complete miss , and TDed all hyundai and maruti cars and zeroed in on Ritz which seemed like max value for money .

Lots of stuff happened in between . Being a member of teamfiat for 4 years , I was shown the right way by friends . The punto had the lightest and softest clutch and steering . Best driveabilty . And it doesnt feel like you're driving a innova in B2B traffic . THose extra Kgs only help in stability on the highway . The Hyundais are getting notorious for their high service costs . PLus the Grand i10 , honestly it would be an insult to the punto to compare it to the Grand . They are not even the same segment .

The punto is a car that you will admire everyday . the Grand is a car that you would forget as days pass by .

I wouldnt force you to buy a punto , it does come with its own set of problems and if you're a person who cares a lot about what people say , about resale value and all that then maybe you should buy the Grand . Cuz the day the punto goes for repairs your friends and family would curse you and make you feel like an ass for buying a fiat . The resale would be really horrible .

We have come to terms with the fact that we will have to deal with certain ASS issues . But we look at it in a different way . Its just one time on the year that the car goes for service . Every 10000 kms The rest of the year is absolute FUN !
gautamkhadse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:31   #682
BHPian

Salaka1
Have you test driven Punto 1.4 lr 90 bhp (I hope it is available) version? Also compare rear seat ride quality if you are family of 4 and take decision.
Punto 1.2 is underpowered.
The Punto owners shall definitely help you here.
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:54   #683
BHPian

You haven't mentioned your usage pattern without which it's hard to suggest.

However, I think it is a battle between reliability versus FTD. But you need to go for 90HP version for the fun factor.

Punto is a very safe and stable car. It will inspire you to push it on highways. So if your usage includes highway use then Punto would be the right choice.

If you want a complete city car and you are "buy it and forget it" types then i10 is the right choice.

I have Linea and i10 both in extended family and both have been equally reliable. Linea has done 45k and i10 around 15k. No problem whatsoever so far.

I would say go for Punto, especially when you are getting 1.5L benefits.

Good luck!
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:01   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

A few queries, What is the monthly usage. If its less than 1000 kms it does not warrant a diesel car. On petrol front, the Punto score quite on the engine front, but does well on other parameters. Note that the Punto 1.2 Dynamic does not come ABS unlike its diesel counterpart. If the running is more than 1000 kms, the MJD would be a better option with the 1 Lakh deal going on. Pick the emotion variant which is fully loaded. Check if dealer has any old stocks, you can squeeze out some more.

On the other hand the i10 Grand Petrol fits the bill with the city usage. Nice airy cabin, nice interiors, light steering, zippy 1.2 Kappa engine. If its the diesel, I would prefer the MJD than the 1.1 litre CRDi from Hyundai.

PS: If more highway driving is involved, Punto will fare a lot better and you will enjoy driving long distance in it.
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:22   #685
BHPian

I recently test drove Punto 90 HP and i10 Grand Diesel (Asta). In my view following are the positives and negatives:

Punto Positives:

1. Gem of a engine. Loved the torque
2. Feels safe inside and good road manners. Excellent steering feedback
3. Voice dialing

Punto Negatives:

1. Questionable interior plastic quality
2. Hated the gear shift feel. In comparison age old petrol Getz is leagues ahead
3. Cabin noise
4. Audio quality is pathetic
5. Spares and service

i10 Positives:

1. Loaded to brim. Loved the auto fold mirrors on start/stop
2. Cabin noise is well controlled, but nothing close to Fiesta/EcoSport
3. Relatively fresh compared to Punto (But doesn't look as gorgeous as Punto)
4. Noteworthy plastic quality

i10 Negatives:

1. Puny 3 cylinder diesel. If you want to rush hard in first gear, i10 gonna say "say uncle"
2. Looks very small from rear, even smaller than old i10

If it were me, I would pick Punto and with the current discounts I guess you can get 90 HP model for 7.4 OTR, Hyderabad.

Last edited by Apple : 23rd December 2013 at 21:23. Reason: More..
Old 23rd December 2013, 22:05   #686
Senior - BHPian

Like to "drive"?
Like a solid thud everytime you close the door, and feel cocooned into the cabin?
Enjoy good ride quality?
Like to connect with your car?
Like the little European quirks?
Do not mind for the random niggle that *might* crop up?
Do not mind being asked, why the FIAT?
Do not mind to take pains to do some ground work on which After Sales outlet to visit?
Take the highways often?
Are you more of an enthusiast?

Then, go for the FIAT. You would never repent that decision.

If you are the kind of guy who always likes to play it safe, and happy with a smaller car, with lesser appeal, and spend most of the time within the city, go for the Grand i10.

If you really want a Fill it, shut it kind of car, look for a Toyota/Honda/Maruti, in that order.

Above is strictly my opinion. All the best for your purchase!
DRIV3R is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 22:58   #687
Senior - BHPian

I would go with Punto 90 HP if I get a sweet deal on it. Punto 90 HP and Grand i 10 are worlds apart.

If you are person who likes the gizmos and looks, Grand i10.
If you are an enthusiast, there is no looking beyond Punto 90 HP.

What is the primary usage ? CITY in bumper to bumper traffic., CITY thru good expressways, or HIGHWAYS ?

Last edited by F150 : 23rd December 2013 at 23:02.
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 23:03   #688
Senior - BHPian

I think DRIV3R has summed it up beautifully.

@Salaka1, You won't regret buying a Punto, till date I haven't. I have driven and have been a passenger in many cars, but I come back looking even more fondly at my Punto. It's that good (it's not just my biased opinion, many of my friends who own xyz hatchbacks or sedans have grudgingly acknowledged that my car is better). But ultimately, the decision is down to you and what kind of a person you are. If you are looking for a little more than a 'car', it has to be a Fiat. The nightmarish after sales service experience people usually associate with Fiat, in my case at least, turned out to be grossly exaggerated.

PS- It's a very common thing to hear people say, "Heart says Punto, head says XYZ". Your statement, by virtue of it being different, is interesting.
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 00:06   #689

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2013 at 12:53.
Old 24th December 2013, 04:20   #690
BHPian

@salaka1 welcome to Team-BHP.
When you say head is with Punto and Heart is with i10, I think you could be thinking more on the financial terms. If that is the case, think Petrol or Diesel first. You could use this calculator. http://aravindavk.in/diesel-vs-petrol-car/

I haven't TD'ed i10, hence can't comment much on it. The diesel engine in the Punto is considered our "national engine". Huge list of cars have it, and it won't disappoint you.

When it comes to service, FIAT can be painful at times. You may need to know your car well than the SA's themselves. How's their reputation of the FIAT dealers / service centers near to where you live / will be driving the car?
You might want to consider whole lot of things, before taking the decision.
selvagp is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks