Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 16:49   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
Dear Bhpians,

I am in one real dilemma. 2 weeks ago we won toyota etios petrol base in a lucky draw.
DO things like these really happen??

Quote:
As we already own a own a superb petrol, we decided to change the car with a diesel hatchback. Now the tricky part is that we wanted to exchange the car with polo but the showroom people are not that ready to take the car back on 10% depreciation (which i offered them) though they told me to wait for few days before they decide , but i am quite sure that they would prolong the matter cause they want me to change the car with liva.

I took the test drive of both the cars and found both of them to be quite similar, engine wise. though liva is a more practical spacious car, it looks very plane jane and is not as good looking as polo.

What do you guys suggest shall i settle down with liva or or wait for the showroom guys to give me the cash and buy a polo. liva with airbags is costing 7.3l OTR in Hyd while polo trendline is for 7l after discounts. please help me out !
Coming to your question, if you can digest the looks of the Toyota, I suggest you stay with them. Toyota is much more reliable brand than the European sibling and the cost of ownership is lower too. Since you yourself own a Skoda, I am sure you must be aware on the maintenance front.

But if you are willing to take that extra load on your wallet on the maintenance & upkeep front for the better looking & better finished Polo, then its your call. Polo is a very good looking car, there is no doubt about it; but that comes at the cost of reliability, uncertain after sales servive and cost of ownership.

Also, it remains to be seen if the dealer will offer you a buy back for the Toyota you won.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 26th August 2013 at 16:50.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 01:31   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
DO things like these really happen??

Coming to your question, if you can digest the looks of the Toyota, I suggest you stay with them. Toyota is much more reliable brand than the European sibling and the cost of ownership is lower too. Since you yourself own a Skoda, I am sure you must be aware on the maintenance front.

But if you are willing to take that extra load on your wallet on the maintenance & upkeep front for the better looking & better finished Polo, then its your call. Polo is a very good looking car, there is no doubt about it; but that comes at the cost of reliability, uncertain after sales servive and cost of ownership.

Also, it remains to be seen if the dealer will offer you a buy back for the Toyota you won.

Regards,
Saket
Well yes after winning the car, i realized that miracles do happen. but you need to pay 30% gift tax plus the registration charges, so you basically end up paying almost 40% of the cars on road price but still the feeling of winning a car is just awesome

Btw thanks for your advice as i already had a gearbox failure in my superb (thankfully they replaced it for free as a goodwill warranty after lot of hassles) so considering this and other factors, i finalized Liva Diesel GD SP model Silver Color
moose56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 02:38   #543
BANNED

Quote:

So considering this and other factors, i finalized Liva Diesel GD SP model Silver Color.
All is well that ends well.

Double Congrats for winning the lucky draw and the decision of Liva GD model.

Lovely decision taken after considering all the factors for choosing not to go for the Polo. I am not saying that the Polo is a bad car but their ASC and serving costs are unknown and low reliability. The risk factor for VW, Skoda and Audi is higher than the rest. Peace of mind would not be as much as a car from Maruti or Hyundai. At the end of the day what may be the technology or looks or features, a customer would look for peace of mind in long run with low damage to the pocket (Reliability factor pitches in).

Even I'm in the market for a hatch. Competitors are Swift, Ritz, Polo and Liva. My dad and I love the Polo a lot but have to delete it before thinking further due to its ASC. I have almost zero'ed down on the Swift but waiting for decision from dad for the variant VDi or ZDi!

Waiting for the ownership represent from you for the Liva GD. Happy Mile munching with the Liva.

NOTE:No offence to owners of respective brands as opinion is my thought and not to instigate an argument.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:46   #544
BHPian

I am looking out for new car to replace my Spark which has completed 6 years and 77K km.

Things I am looking for in new car are -
1. Budget of 8 to 9 Lakh on road
2. ABS+Airbag. I also like cars that are strong and heavy.
3. Interiors: Should be really good. As far as possible no baige color.
4. Exterior: Should be good looking.
5. Height in our family ranges between 5' to 5.6'. So I will want Height adjustable seat, tiltable steering and adjustable seat belts.
6. My monthly running is about 1500 KM. Diesel is preferred but not mandatory.
7. Performance: Should be fun to drive. Steering should be accurate. I am big fan of HPS.

I have already seen many cars, taken road test for many of them. My selection process is not very logical. So for some reason, I am not looking at popular choices of Swift/Ritz/Dzire and i20.

So far I have shortlisted to following cars -
1. Polo GT: On road price is 9.1. I like everything about this car except initial price and running fuel expense. I expect this car to have FE of 12 to 13 after initial euphoria of S mode goes down.

Automatic is not my main requirement, but it will certainly help as last 3-4 Km of my daily journey is absolutely horrible stop and go traffic.

Interiors, looks and safety are top class. I am not too worried about VW service as I know someone there.

2. Fiat Grand Punto 90PS : On road price is 8.6. There is discount of some 60-70K on this. So it comes to about 8 Lakhs on road

Interiors and looks are very good. Only problem I have observed is there is no bottle holder. Safety wise, it meets all requirements.

Being Diesel, running cost should be good. I think I can expect 15-16 KMPL economy.

Performance is not great at low end. But good dynamics and handling.

Scores on cost and looks, but I am concerned about Service and performance

3. Ford Classic Titanium (Diesel): On road cost is about 9.1 after discount.

This is bit odd car in my list. Sedan is not my requirement. But I am hearing lot of praise for this car, so took TD. Liked it.

Looks are ok. Interiors are ok. But top end Titanium has beige interior. CLXI has black interior, but no airbag.

Steering is perfect. Overall ride and handling is great. I am happy with whatever I read about this car in TBHP long term reviews.

Main concerns are - Beige interior, engine noise and end of life model.

I am interested in understanding your view points on above cars.

Other cars I have seen and not shortlisted are - Toyota Liva, Honda Amaze, Maruti Ertiga, Maruti desire, i20, Ford Fiesta, Vento, other Polo variants, other Punto variants.
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:37   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I am looking out for new car to replace my Spark which has completed 6 years and 77K km.
My vote goes for the Punto. Try a DIY for the bottle holder or just buy a bottle which will fit somewhere else! I dont think it is a dealbreaker for what is a fantastic car.

I have been sailing in the same boat and have eliminated every car other than the Punto and the Fiesta. I presume you are not interested in a used diesel AT.

If you want a Ford with non beige interiors, take a look at the Ecosport. The AT should not have so much waiting period. I am not recommending it, just asking to look at it.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:10   #546
BHPian

radek, I would recommend you to look at i20 diesel Asta. It is a fantastic car with most of the features you are looking.

You may also see GTO's excellent review on i20
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:07   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
My vote goes for the Punto. Try a DIY for the bottle holder or just buy a bottle which will fit somewhere else! I dont think it is a dealbreaker for what is a fantastic car.

If you want a Ford with non beige interiors, take a look at the Ecosport. The AT should not have so much waiting period. I am not recommending it, just asking to look at it.
Bottle holder is irritant not a dealbreaker . My main concerns with Punto are city driving performance and Fiat Service. Not sure how is Fiat service in Pune. I heard BU bhandari used to be good. But not sure about current dealers - Pandit and Millenium.

AT is not my key requirement, though it helps. Ecosport AT or Diesel Titanium are going to be beyond my budget. But I will check it anyway.
radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:27   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek

Bottle holder is irritant not a dealbreaker . My main concerns with Punto are city driving performance and Fiat Service. Not sure how is Fiat service in Pune. I heard BU bhandari used to be good. But not sure about current dealers - Pandit and Millenium.
no problem whatsoever w.r.t service in Pune. This comes from a MJD E+ owner (4 yrs and 57k kms). Absolutely satisfied with the service, performance. Infact, service is improving day by day..

Don't know which part of Pune you belong to, but there is a new dealership opened up in PCMC named Sky Moto. Have nt yet experienced their service though.
ironshark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:31   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post

AT is not my key requirement, though it helps. Ecosport AT or Diesel Titanium are going to be beyond my budget. But I will check it anyway.
Radek,

I have a 90HP with 60K KMS on it and always serviced in Pandit and can get you some facts about 90HP performance and service in Pune.

1) Performance.

The 90HP may not pull in the intial gears like the i20 however 3rd gear onwards the in gear acceleration is phenomenal and it pulls and pull all the way till 4500 RPM - with effect on speed also,not just RPM.To overcome the initial gear issue, I got a RD tuning chip along with a K&N filter in my car post 15K and driving since, now the car is like a BULL and it gives shame to the current 1.6CRDIs and TDIs.

The ride and handling is a benchmark in this segment and it can put shame on the cars in the above segment as well. The suspension set up is slightly on the harder side,however the small potholes and irregularities what we see on pune roads are eaten by it with ease.

The best way to enjoy the 90HP is on the highway - it drives as if it is on rails and hardly any body roll.

I can give you a test drive of my car and then you can take your decision . Which I am sure what it would be

2) Service

I have serviced my car since last 2.5 years at Pandit only. Initially (when TATA - Fiat Workshop) there were some hiccups and problems in getting the things going/done however never an issue with respect to the availability of the daily wear and tear parts.

Now, the though Fiat is not being serviced at TATA ASS workshops - still managed by Pandit, you get a quick turn around on the issues and a better infrastructure and approach.
Pandit now takes the issues in the car seriously and they have attained a certain level of maturity and technical knowledge in attending to issues coming in Fiat. So you are talking to someone who knows what he is doing this was not the case earlier.

The car is serviced every 15000 or 1 year and the annual maintainance comes at around 5-6K which is cheaper considering the the maintainance of a polo or a i20.

Rest let me know if you want to know anything else about 90HP.
scofield is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:02   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
no problem whatsoever w.r.t service in Pune. This comes from a MJD E+ owner (4 yrs and 57k kms). Absolutely satisfied with the service, performance. Infact, service is improving day by day..
Thanks. What service center do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
1) Performance.
The 90HP may not pull in the intial gears like the i20 however 3rd gear onwards the in gear acceleration is phenomenal and it pulls and pull all the way till 4500 RPM - with effect on speed also,not just RPM.To overcome the initial gear issue, I got a RD tuning chip along with a K&N filter in my car post 15K and driving since, now the car is like a BULL and it gives shame to the current 1.6CRDIs and TDIs.
Wow! Your love for your car is evident. Though in couple of test drives I took, I did not get the same experience. Things improve a lot after 2nd gear, but it was not phenomenal as you described it. Probably it was because test drive car was very new (150 Km on odo) or the fact that I was just back from Polo GT test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
2) Service
I have serviced my car since last 2.5 years at Pandit only. Initially (when TATA - Fiat Workshop) there were some hiccups and problems in getting the things going/done however never an issue with respect to the availability of the daily wear and tear parts.

Now, the though Fiat is not being serviced at TATA ASS workshops - still managed by Pandit, you get a quick turn around on the issues and a better infrastructure and approach.
Pandit now takes the issues in the car seriously and they have attained a certain level of maturity and technical knowledge in attending to issues coming in Fiat.
This is good. This puts my doubts to rest about Fiat service quality. I am happy if their service quality even meets what I have seen with GM.

Thanks for your feedback. This was the exact reason to put my query here - to get feedback from owners. The things that I wont know by reading initial reviews.
Old 4th September 2013, 16:29   #551
BANNED

Guys guys. .

Since I had posted a few pages back that I was looking for a replacement to my Ritz.

Dad and I have finally decided it is the Swift ZDi. Colors that I am going for is Blue

The sales manager was not in town but while talking to his junior, he said there is a discount of 35-40k on the car. But delivery time would be 4-7 days from booking.

Waiting for my dad to return from Germany after which we will book the car and get all final prices

(Discount + Freebies + Exchange bonus + Loyalty bonus + Corporate discount) - Ritz exchange price = Final Price to pay.

Will update the thread once I get the details.

Anurag.
Old 4th September 2013, 17:37   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Guys guys. .

Since I had posted a few pages back that I was looking for a replacement to my Ritz.

Dad and I have finally decided it is the Swift ZDi. Colors that I am going for is Blue

The sales manager was not in town but while talking to his junior, he said there is a discount of 35-40k on the car. But delivery time would be 4-7 days from booking.

Waiting for my dad to return from Germany after which we will book the car and get all final prices

(Discount + Freebies + Exchange bonus + Loyalty bonus + Corporate discount) - Ritz exchange price = Final Price to pay.

Anurag.
Congrats on the 'would-be' new car. The Swift looks very good in the blue colour. What I have read on some other threads that there is not much waiting time for Swifts. Anyway, a wait of 4-7 days is not much and RTO & other formalities would anyway take that much of time (but I understand that it will all be after your car reaches the showroom, hence we are talking at least 10-12 days). Do put up an ownership report once you get the car.
Old 4th September 2013, 17:48   #553
BANNED

Quote:

Congrats on the 'would-be' new car. The Swift looks very good in the blue colour. What I have read on some other threads that there is not much waiting time for Swifts. Anyway, a wait of 4-7 days is not much and RTO & other formalities would anyway take that much of time (but I understand that it will all be after your car reaches the showroom, hence we are talking at least 10-12 days).
Thanks Saket.

May be the car would be delivered on a TR number which had a validity of 30 days from registration. Within 30 days the permanent number must be on the car. This is what happens here but now of the RTO had changed rules and wants permanent number then it would be 5-6 days. Maruti will not delay the process.

Quote:
Do put up an ownership report once you get the car.
Ownership review is a must. No doubt in it. Two important things after the car purchase:

1) Read the owner's manual

2) post the ownership Reoort.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 20:31   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Guys guys. .

Anurag.
Have you zeroed it on Swift? Swift D is not much of an upgrade from Ritz D. Both are excellent cars. Swift lacks a bit of space, but is a better handler. Have you considered Punto 90? Sorry, but I have not read your earlier post.
Old 5th September 2013, 12:21   #555
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post

Have you zeroed it on Swift? Swift D is not much of an upgrade from Ritz D. Both are excellent cars. Swift lacks a bit of space, but is a better handler. Have you considered Punto 90? Sorry, but I have not read your earlier post.
Ahmad bhai,

Didn't even consider the Fiat as its A.S.S is nothing to write home about. Loved the VW Polo but same reason had to leave it.

It may not be a lateral upgrade but it is a decent upgrade considering the features etc. Since I will be using the car alone 95% of its time the space doesn't matter much. I need a efficient mile cruncher with a peaceful A.S.S. The Ritz ZDi and Swift ZDi were the only that ticks all my requirements but since I have been driving the Ritz for 100000 kms I'm bored so didn't want a repeat. So chose the Swift ZDi. That's all.

Regards,
Anurag.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks