Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
So the choices in my mind are:
1) Maruti Swift ZDi;
2) Maruti Ritz ZDi;
3) Toyota Etios Liva GD and
4) Volkswagen Polo TDI.
Very limited set of options

If you’re already a fan of the Swift, just go for it. And since it’s not hugely different from the Ritz, you’ll have the familiarity factor. And I think you’re more inclined towards Suzuki because of the service backup.

As many others mentioned, there are quite a few other choices you can think of. With your said mileage of 120kms a day, look for a good long distance commuter, and do not skimp on safety.

You have not mentioned your budget. If it’s close to 10 lakhs, may be worth looking at the Ecosport TDCi (consider the waiting period), or wait to see if VW is launching the Polo with the 1.6 TDI engine. And both the Figo and Punto are capable options as well.

I won’t suggest the upcoming i10 Grand because it’s actually a step down from the Ritz (basically the 2nd gen i10 with a different name).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 09:02   #527
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti or VW or a Toyota?

Quote:
So the choices in my mind are:

1) Maruti Swift ZDi;
2) Maruti Ritz ZDi;
3) Toyota Etios Liva GD and
4) Volkswagen Polo TDI.
This leaves me with only with Maruti.

• Swift ZDi or
  • Ritz ZDi
Ritz ZDi?? Even I would say don't buy the same car again. It might be boring to take the same car for another 4-5 year stint.

Swift ZDi seems to tick most of your requirements. It also seems to be available off the shelf now at most dealers, perhaps (for the first time?) with a discount too!

I'm not sure why the VW car is on your list if a Fiat is not. Both of them are known to have servicing woes in some regions, so maybe you would be better off striking the Polo off your list too. The Polo 3-pot TDI is actually worse in refinement than your Ritz VDi. On the engine department, it is a downgrade

Figo is a nice option, but it might be a lateral switch from Ritz to Figo, not an upgrade in the true sense.

I would really give a serious thought to the Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta. It is one heck of a car, is peppy and refined, has a nice rich-car look and feel on the inside and outside, packed with features, easy to use and has a fantastic service network which won't be too different from the way Maruti works. Lastly, it will a nice 'actual' upgrade from the Ritz.

Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th August 2013 at 09:07.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 09:02   #528
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I would like to add to your confusion, but is better to consider the Hyundai i20 too.The i20 will be a real upgrade too because it comes with much better interiors and with added features.
A good suggestion indeed.
I second this, given your particular need state/ want state.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 09:27   #529
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I would really give a serious thought to the Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta.

Good luck with your purchase!
You speak my mind KarthikK.

Will keep an eye on the i20 also. Inclined more towards the ZDi of the Swift though.
If I'm not wrong, even you have a Swift ZDi in blue colour? Had read almost all threads of the Swift ZDI.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 10:13   #530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I'm not wrong, even you have a Swift ZDi in blue colour? Had read almost all threads of the Swift ZDI.
I had booked for a blue Swift ZDi last year, but due to the Manesar factory fiasco, the booking period got extended beyond what I could wait for, so I had to cancel the Swift booking. Ended up stretching the budget and going for the more powerful Punto 90HP last November.

We however had a Swift ZXi 1.3 petrol from the first gen batch of Swifts, and it was a delightful ownership experience as expected of a Maruti Suzuki car. One heck of an all-rounder car I must say, impresses on all counts. It was in fact the reason I had booked a Swift ZDi again . Now that the diesel Swift is available readily, it is a superb proposition for prospective buyers.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th August 2013 at 10:20.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:46   #531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I had booked for a blue Swift ZDi last year, but due to the Manesar factory fiasco, the booking period got extended beyond what I could wait for, so I had to cancel the Swift booking. Ended up stretching the budget and going for the more powerful Punto 90HP last November.

We however had a Swift ZXi 1.3 petrol from the first gen batch of Swifts, and it was a delightful ownership experience as expected of a Maruti Suzuki car. One heck of an all-rounder car I must say, impresses on all counts. It was in fact the reason I had booked a Swift ZDi again . Now that the diesel Swift is available readily, it is a superb proposition for prospective buyers.
Was browsing through all swift ZDi threads so in thread by 'Geeash' from Chennai you were active regularly so seeing that thread thought you have the Swift.

If you remember we have met for a brief while during the Hyderabad-Bangalore meet at Kurnool.

Anurag.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:41   #532
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Why is this car not in the list?
Is this not "premium"?
If this question is in general about this thread, then yes - I think Beat should be a part of the list.

But if this is a question to luvDriving, let me answer on his behalf - this car is not in the list becuase Beat cannot hold a candle to Vista when it comes to interior space and comfort.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 16th August 2013 at 12:45.
Old 16th August 2013, 13:49   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

If this question is in general about this thread, then yes - I think Beat should be a part of the list.

But if this is a question to luvDriving, let me answer on his behalf - this car is not in the list becuase Beat cannot hold a candle to Vista when it comes to interior space and comfort.

--Anoop
Brother, I have a Polo, and a Brio running in the family, and have extensively travelled in the old gen Swift. I own a Beat, and frankly speaking, no offence, but I feel Beat's rear bench is much more comfortable than the that of the cramped Polo's (low bench, big hump), and is very much comparable to the Swift's (may even be better) and is similar to that of the Brio.

Having said that, it is nowhere near Vista and Liva's bench. And Figo's and i20's benches are still quite better.

So, I don't think space should be a constraint here, since Polo and Swift also lack in that area.

The only thing I feel is that, the price is low, but you cannot discard a vehicle as premium or not premium, just because of price. It is a VFM vehicle, but at the same time feels premium and expensive from inside-out, unlike the Figo, which feels cheap (no offence, but I could not stand the dashboard and its vibrations at low rpms of Figo tdci) and built to price.

I don't intend to attack any vehicle, but I am just stating my views. Sorry if my words seem harsh or inappropriate.
Old 16th August 2013, 20:21   #534
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It would be great if you could tell us your requirements. So far, it is assumed you want a diesel hatch which is reliable.

If I might throw in a couple of other suggestions, in addition to the ones already listed
Ah Sorry. That is the point that has to be mentioned which I missed
  1. Usage - 120 kms a day
  2. Safety features - ABS, Airbags, Rear wash/wipe (This is a MUST!)
  3. Price - Must be between 6.5-7.5 L (8L Max. Will confirm on the price limit after I talk to dad as the ZDi would be near 7.7L).

Quote:
Similarly, the Swift looks like a great switch, but if it is a family car, the rear seat wouldn't be a very nice place to be in.
This will be driven mostly by me and hardly would touch the rear seats. Say 90% will be driven by me.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 16th August 2013, 21:07   #535
BHPian

Finally you started the thread!

I'll make one thing clear first. If I were in your place, my choice: Sift ZDi/Ford figo (pick any, both are damn good)

Now, to add to your confusion, just wait till the i10 grand is launched. It seems to be a good car.

I think you must have ruled out the otherwise good nissan micra diesel due to the service network issues. Its a genuinely under-rated car, unfortunately.

i20 is a great car as well. Just check whether it can tackle the kind of roads you drive on (I am talking from the view of ground clearance)

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. You have entered the right time to buy a car. I think you'll be able to wriggle out a good discount from maruti since you can claim exchange bonus, loyalty bonus and maybe corporate discount as well. Hence, I would tilt towards swift.
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 21:07   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah Sorry. That is the point that has to be mentioned which I missed
  1. Usage - 120 kms a day
  2. Safety features - ABS, Airbags, Rear wash/wipe (This is a MUST!)
  3. Price - Must be between 6.5-7.5 L (8L Max. Will confirm on the price limit after I talk to dad as the ZDi would be near 7.7L).

This will be driven mostly by me and hardly would touch the rear seats. Say 90% will be driven by me.

Cheers,
Anurag.
In which case, do try and stretch a little bit more for the i20 CRDi.
That will be a true upgrade in literally every sense.
Check out the T-BHP review:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

This is probably the only Hyundai I would see myself buying from their current line-up.

If not, go for the Swift, and enjoy it whole heartedly.
The handling, interiors will definitely be an upgrade from the Ritz, and with a remap + wider tyres () it'll definitely make the 120kms/day a lot more enjoyable.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 01:38   #537
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I'll make one thing clear first. If I were in your place, my choice: Sift ZDi/Ford figo (pick any, both are damn good)
Swift ZDi is what I would choose between the two.

Quote:
Now, to add to your confusion, just wait till the i10 grand is launched. It seems to be a good car.
No i10 in what ever form will I look at.

Quote:
P.S. You have entered the right time to buy a car. I think you'll be able to wriggle out a good discount from maruti since you can claim exchange bonus, loyalty bonus and maybe corporate discount as well. Hence, I would tilt towards swift.
Getting discounts and offers from Maruti will not be a problem and I am expecting good amounts of them.

Quote:
In which case, do try and stretch a little bit more for the i20 CRDi. This is probably the only Hyundai I would see myself buying from their current line-up.
Trying to bed this option into my dad's line of sight so that he can think. But my problem lies with the cost of variant with all safety features which is the Asta which would be 8+ OTR, Hyderabad and convincing dad will be a tough time. But I am trying on full swing.

Quote:
The handling, interiors will definitely be an upgrade from the Ritz, and with a remap + wider tyres it'll definitely make the 120kms/day a lot more enjoyable.
If the i20 CRDi doesn't work out then Swift ZDi with a remap + Tyre upgrade is what I see without any doubt.

But after the upgrade I don't mind doing 150 kms also

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 18th August 2013, 02:24   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Trying to bed this option into my dad's line of sight so that he can think. But my problem lies with the cost of variant with all safety features which is the Asta which would be 8+ OTR, Hyderabad and convincing dad will be a tough time. But I am trying on full swing.
Take him for a TD. Back to back. With him in the back seat.
That worked wonders with Dad. Landed in Delhi airport, three of us (mom, dad, me) + a few bags. Had to fit into the i20 with all of that stuff, and were pretty impressed with it. Me and him are both 6'1" / 6'2".
Old 18th August 2013, 02:53   #539
BANNED

Quote:
Take him for a TD. Back to back. With him in the back seat.

That worked wonders with Dad. Landed in Delhi airport, three of us (mom, dad, me) + a few bags. Had to fit into the i20 with all of that stuff, and were pretty impressed with it. Me and him are both 6'1" / 6'2".
Will get him do the TD of both of them.

A neighbour bought a grey i20 Asta CRDI for 8.54 L but the Swift ZDi OTR would be between 7.3-7.6 L. Maruti would easily get discounts and offers. Almost a Lakh extra which is the point to think on. I need solid reasons for the i20.

I have to enquire for Hyundai about discounts and offers after which dad would decide.

Anurag.
Old 26th August 2013, 16:37   #540
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Dear Bhpians,

I am in one real dilemma. 2 weeks ago we won toyota etios petrol base in a lucky draw. As we already own a own a superb petrol, we decided to change the car with a diesel hatchback. Now the tricky part is that we wanted to exchange the car with polo but the showroom people are not that ready to take the car back on 10% depreciation (which i offered them) though they told me to wait for few days before they decide , but i am quite sure that they would prolong the matter cause they want me to change the car with liva.

I took the test drive of both the cars and found both of them to be quite similar, engine wise. though liva is a more practical spacious car, it looks very plane jane and is not as good looking as polo.

What do you guys suggest shall i settle down with liva or or wait for the showroom guys to give me the cash and buy a polo. liva with airbags is costing 7.3l OTR in Hyd while polo trendline is for 7l after discounts. please help me out !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed