Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 11:59   #16
BHPian

Hi V16,

I have been a communicator fan since it was launched here.

I still have my 9210, 9500, E90 all in perfect working condition (I love to collect these breed of phones)and now will be buying E7 this week or latest by Next week.

These are the best breeds of the Business Phones produced by Nokia and it beats competition Black & Blue in usability and Specs. Users who want to buy phones as entertainment medium won't understand what is being talked about here as I wrote in the Mobile Discussion thread.

This is purely for business and there will always be fans for the communicators. We talked about support for Symbian going down in next 2 years which is a long time for OS updates and more than enough to last next 2 yrs without it. If you follow likes of MWC 2011, then you will understand why Nokia chose to go the Windows way. Their quality and reliability is way ahead of any competition.

As explained in the earlier thread, I have used E90 to it's potential and even today @ work my colleagues who are fans of iPhone and Android are amazed at the capability of the phone ( This happened yesterday to the android fan).I haven't given any of my communicators to a service center till date.

The features of the phone and the stability of the Symbian OS is way beyond people to understand. They go by what they hear and what they see (Ads, Marketing). Only a hardcore Nokia Communicator user knows the capabilities of this phone

Last edited by inder_s1 : 18th March 2011 at 12:01.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!

I could buy this if they can upgrade it to Win7 for free in a couple of months!! Isn't it prudent to wait for their Win7 phones when it comes to buying higher end Nokia phone?
Old 18th March 2011, 12:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nokia phones with Win 7 would not be available before end of year.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Nokia phones with Win 7 would not be available before end of year.
Nokia WP7 will come out next year.

Apart from E7,I trying to get hold of a N900 to make it a Dual OS for R&D. If you search hard on the web,you will know this has been achieved. Also, it has been clocked to 1GHz and is still demonstrating stability
Old 18th March 2011, 14:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
to just the single click alone of symbian 3, eg if you want to add a phone number to contact's: single click starts making a call and difficult to delete the number that you may not require from the phone. Also difficult to delete bookmarks too. I have to figure out about a way to get around this. V16 if you have an answer let me know.
For adding a name, instead of clicking twice, just tap and hold onthe name. drop down menu appears.

For the bookmarks,i still have to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Hi V16,

This is purely for business and there will always be fans for the communicators.
Only a hardcore Nokia Communicator user knows the capabilities of this phone
I am with you.

Guys this is not a for or against Nokia E7 thread. This is to discuss the problems if any and solutions to the product. If anyone has a review, put it up else there will be 200 pages on why so and so does not like the E7.

In the meanwhile i have found a chink in the Armour. The speaker is situated on the rear which is the side one would normally put down the phone when resting it. This leas to muffling the ring tone and the voice of the caller when on the speakerphone. did they not consider such a small but significant problem??!!
As soon as you lift the phone, the ring tone or the voice, as the case may be, gets louder by several degree. Wrong placement of speaker.
Old 19th March 2011, 02:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
For adding a name, instead of clicking twice, just tap and hold onthe name. drop down menu appears.

For the bookmarks,i still have to try that.

I am with you.

Guys this is not a for or against Nokia E7 thread. This is to discuss the problems if any and solutions to the product. If anyone has a review, put it up else there will be 200 pages on why so and so does not like the E7.

In the meanwhile i have found a chink in the Armour. The speaker is situated on the rear which is the side one would normally put down the phone when resting it. This leas to muffling the ring tone and the voice of the caller when on the speakerphone. did they not consider such a small but significant problem??!!
As soon as you lift the phone, the ring tone or the voice, as the case may be, gets louder by several degree. Wrong placement of speaker.
Yup, read that in a Nokia forum
Old 19th March 2011, 10:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are the best breeds of the Business Phones produced by Nokia and it beats competition Black & Blue in usability and Specs. Users who want to buy phones as entertainment medium won't understand what is being talked about here as I wrote in the Mobile Discussion thread.
Tall statement about usability. Nokia still doesn't hold a candle to Blackberry when it comes to handling email, calendars and overall business tasks. In fact if there's a reason why Nokia failed so pathetically in the smartphone market, it is usability. I have moved from a Nokia to a BB and there has been no looking back. Specs i agree - Nokia phones usually are better spec-ed than the rest.

But then again, you are entitled to your views (Though Elop might agree with the 'burning platform' ).

Since this is not a Nokia vs others thread, i am not going to dwell on this further. On to E7 review.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:27   #23
BHPian

So are you telling me you don't know how to configure office mail settings on Nokia?

I've been using this feature for past 3 years, my calender, tasks, contacts are in sync with the outlook @ work.
I send replies to everyone using my Nokia during the weekends.

If you want to see a sample let me know can send a screenshot
Old 20th March 2011, 12:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So are you telling me you don't know how to configure office mail settings on Nokia?

I've been using this feature for past 3 years, my calender, tasks, contacts are in sync with the outlook @ work.
I never said that - but you are indicating that your English reading and interpretation skills need improvement .

"Usability" is different from "Not Working". Please re-read the post - the question was about usability. You claimed usability of Nokia phones business features are better than the rest - i am saying that is not the case. I also have given credit to Nokia saying their phones are usually better spec-ed hardware wise.
Old 20th March 2011, 12:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Dil pe mat le dude. Take this discussion in mobile discussion thread.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 20th March 2011 at 12:56.
Old 20th March 2011, 23:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The E7 is not a camera phone like the N8. It is a business phone that happens to have a camera for stuff like skype, emergency photos, etc..

I am not making excuses for Nokia. Their products are overpriced and damn they should have moved to another OS before announcing publically that Symbian will be phased out in 2 years but dont expect the E7 to do what the N8 can and vice versa. Ofcourse both phones will make calls, send SMS, etc.. and similarly both have a camera they are just not targetted at the same audience.
I accept and respect that argument. Its a business phone, compared to the N8.

What i do not accept is the fact that its 6k more than N8, which means Nokia could have easily added the same multimedia (camera capabilities) although its a business phone. Its beats me why E7 is so expensive, with just the addition of a qwerty keypad and the inclusion of some software.

It should either have been a lot more cheaper, or better- spec'd wrt multimedia so it could have had a wider appeal.
Old 21st March 2011, 12:53   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I accept and respect that argument. Its a business phone, compared to the N8.

What i do not accept is the fact that its 6k more than N8, which means Nokia could have easily added the same multimedia (camera capabilities) although its a business phone. Its beats me why E7 is so expensive, with just the addition of a qwerty keypad and the inclusion of some software.

It should either have been a lot more cheaper, or better- spec'd wrt multimedia so it could have had a wider appeal.
Is this price comparison on current price of N8 or the launch price? Usually a new phone launch has price higher and also its about the hardware chip etc inside. Its more of a business phone hence the cost higher, camera is not a selling point for E7. Though you have a point that cost difference should not be that much.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:18   #28
BHPian

N8 has a 3.5 inch Amoled display while the E7 has a 4 inch Amoled display along a qwerty keypad. May be this is one of the reason for a higher price of E7.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 22nd March 2011 at 12:19.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:42   #29
BHPian

@V-16 hows the phone been behaving since you got it? Have you been having any issues with syncing mails/calenders with MSExchange? I am using the Samsung Wave and love its screen, but the exchange mail sync needs works, it does work but not so reliably.
Before picking up the Wave i was planning for the N97mini but deferred due reviews of its hang issue. Do share your views on the phones stability over the two weeks of usage
Old 10th April 2011, 11:16   #30
BHPian

Saw in today's paper: E7 Price - Rs. 26990.+ 16 GB Memory Stick

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks