Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2012, 13:00   #811
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Query for anyone using a Nexus-7 tab in India.

Does Google Play let you install apps onto a Nexus-7 when accessing it from India ?
or does it prevent you with some sort of message like "..This application cannot be installed in your country using this device.. bla bla .." ?
Old 15th October 2012, 14:19   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
No new features but
  • There's an updated blackberry bridge
  • Enhanced email client
  • Improved Android app support
For the real changes, wait for the Blackberry 10 OS in January 2013(or max Q1).
I don't understand, what will BB10 do for the Playbook? The playbook OS is already QNX, BB10 will bring QNX to the phones as far as I understand it...
Old 15th October 2012, 17:02   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I don't understand, what will BB10 do for the Playbook? The playbook OS is already QNX, BB10 will bring QNX to the phones as far as I understand it...
Its primarily a change in the whole interface and the same will be used in the both playbook and phones.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:40   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its primarily a change in the whole interface and the same will be used in the both playbook and phones.
Not quite, the Playbook interface is what the phones will get. As I said, the Playbook is already a QNX OS. The main reason why the phones were delayed in running QNX is security. RIM wasn't able to build in the airtight security of the older phone OS into the new platform. They've done it now. The max I see happening to the Playbook is closer integration and improved BlacKberry Bridge. The interface/UI will remain relatively unchanged.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:43   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore
Query for anyone using a Nexus-7 tab in India.

Does Google Play let you install apps onto a Nexus-7 when accessing it from India ?
or does it prevent you with some sort of message like "..This application cannot be installed in your country using this device.. bla bla .." ?
I am using it. No restrictions like that in Play store. But magazines and movies rental are restricted
Old 15th October 2012, 18:48   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
I am using it. No restrictions like that in Play store. But magazines and movies rental are restricted
Thanks for confirming this.
Old 16th October 2012, 15:54   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not quite, the Playbook interface is what the phones will get. As I said, the Playbook is already a QNX OS. The main reason why the phones were delayed in running QNX is security. RIM wasn't able to build in the airtight security of the older phone OS into the new platform. They've done it now. The max I see happening to the Playbook is closer integration and improved BlacKberry Bridge. The interface/UI will remain relatively unchanged.
The information you have is not correct. You might want to have a look at this video for updates to what can we expect in BB10 OS.

Older BB phone will not be supported by this OS. I have a playbook and from this official preview of the Dev version of BB10, I can tell you the interface has changed from many aspects.
Old 16th October 2012, 16:38   #818
Senior - BHPian

I'm quoting our exchange here to keep track of your shifting arguments -

Here you say, for significant changes to the Playbook wait for BB10:
Quote:
No new features but
  • There's an updated blackberry bridge
  • Enhanced email client
  • Improved Android app support
For the real changes, wait for the Blackberry 10 OS in January 2013(or max Q1).
I play dumb because I know your answer is wrong:
Quote:
Emboldened, you give me a vague anwser:
Quote:
Now, I give a glimpse of what I know and call you out:
Quote:
And your answer is to shift the whole argument to talking about the phones and Dev Alpha and how the phones will not look like the Playbook interface...when the start of this was whether the Playbook will change when BB10 comes out?!?!?

Quote:
The information you have is not correct. You might want to have a look at this video for updates to what can we expect in BB10 OS.

http://Youtu.be/zxhEsUBDboo

Older BB phone will not be supported by this OS. I have a playbook and from this official preview of the Dev version of BB10, I can tell you the interface has changed from many aspects.
Now to set this right once in for all.
First, thanks for the info about the older phones, although I don't know who asked for it.
The video shows swipe up to wake up the phone and access icons and you can scroll through panels by swiping right or left - where have we seen that before from Blackberry? Oh, right the Playbook (which you have, congratulations BTW).
Understand my point, the phones (new models) and the Playbook will run on the same OS guts once BB10 comes out - that affects the next-gen phones and not the Playbook because its already on QNX.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:41   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm quoting our exchange here to keep track of your shifting arguments -

Here you say, for significant changes to the Playbook wait for BB10:

I play dumb because I know your answer is wrong:
You dont have to, just ask for information.

Quote:
Emboldened, you give me a vague anwser:

Now, I give a glimpse of what I know and call you out:

And your answer is to shift the whole argument to talking about the phones and Dev Alpha and how the phones will not look like the Playbook interface...when the start of this was whether the Playbook will change when BB10 comes out?!?!?
BB10 will be released for both newer phones and Playbook.

Quote:
Now to set this right once in for all.
First, thanks for the info about the older phones, although I don't know who asked for it.
You, since you mentioned that they have now fixed the security part but if BB10 will not be rolled out to existing phones, then we dont need a smart person to understand that no security fixes are required.

Quote:
The video shows swipe up to wake up the phone and access icons and you can scroll through panels by swiping right or left - where have we seen that before from Blackberry? Oh, right the Playbook (which you have, congratulations BTW).

Understand my point, the phones (new models) and the Playbook will run on the same OS guts once BB10 comes out - that affects the next-gen phones and not the Playbook because its already on QNX.
Thanks, Please understand that BB10 will run on the existing Playbook hardware and their new range of phones ONLY and not on existing phones, hope its clear now.

Yes, all touch phones work with touch actions but the touch actions interface is changing with the BB10 and its not the same that you see in existing phones. left right is supported by all kinds of touch phones.

QNX is the OS for blackberry just like Windows is an OS for intel based machines, this QNX version is the Neutrino 6.6 Microkernel with apprx 100k lines of codes but the interface and features keep changing with each new version.

Let me know if you want to understand the core architecture of Playbook QNX (you dont have to play dumb for that).
Old 16th October 2012, 18:12   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You dont have to, just ask for information.
Thanks - the problem here is your assumption that you know more than me and mine that I know more than you. Hence, no one is going to ask for information but it still amazes me how someone who claims to know the innards of QNX architecture can be so wrong.

Quote:
BB10 will be released for both newer phones and Playbook.
And you're wrong - BB10 is an OS for phones alone.

Quote:
You, since you mentioned that they have now fixed the security part but if BB10 will not be rolled out to existing phones, then we dont need a smart person to understand that no security fixes are required.
And you're wrong. I said "The main reason why the phones were delayed in running QNX is security. RIM wasn't able to build in the airtight security of the older phone OS into the new platform. They've done it now." It's very clear what I said but you obviously misunderstood so let me simplify it:
Old OS (aka OS 5, 6, 7) - Have security
New OS based on QNX - they had problems with security, which they have fixed now and hence it will go into the new phones (series L and N). That was the delay. You do understand that RIM's selling point has always been secure communications? Therefore they couldn't launch new OS/phones with compromised security.
Nowhere did I say that the old phones will get the new OS.

Quote:
Thanks, Please understand that BB10 will run on the existing Playbook hardware and their new range of phones ONLY and not on existing phones, hope its clear now.
You're a genius. It's all clear to me now that you've explained it.

Quote:
Yes, all touch phones work with touch actions but the touch actions interface is changing with the BB10 and its not the same that you see in existing phones. left right is supported by all kinds of touch phones.
Oops, so now we're comparing OS7 phones with BB10?!? I thought we were talking BB10 compared with Playbook OS. Silly me.

Quote:
QNX is the OS for blackberry just like Windows is an OS for intel based machines, this QNX version is the Neutrino 6.6 Microkernel with apprx 100k lines of codes but the interface and features keep changing with each new version.
Whoa, QNX is the OS for Blackberry?? And we're talking microkernels?? Internet search is a wonderful thing.

Quote:
Let me know if you want to understand the core architecture of Playbook QNX (you dont have to play dumb for that).
This is my last mail on the subject. You're very good at arguing and side-stepping direct issues and claiming to be an expert albeit of uncertain persuasion.

Last edited by StarScream : 16th October 2012 at 18:16.
Old 19th October 2012, 11:27   #821
BHPian

Now the AUXUS AX3G available. Price is Rs. 11,000.00.

Check the below link:-
http://shop.iberry.asia/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=29

I just bought MMX Pro 10.1 almost in same price.
Below is the specification -- Seems to be VFM .
Attached Thumbnails
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-auxus-3g.jpg  

Old 19th October 2012, 11:46   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala

I got mine from us and due to the restriction, I can't even watch the "free" Transformers Dark of the moon that came with the tab. Does anyone know of any workarounds?
Old 20th October 2012, 05:13   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps

I got mine from us and due to the restriction, I can't even watch the "free" Transformers Dark of the moon that came with the tab. Does anyone know of any workarounds?
Google checks the IP Address from where we login. So if you have an internet connection via US then you can get both the movie and the 25$ credit in Google wallet. If not there are sites like superfreevpn.com who provide free Vpn services. But you must rest to factory default first. There is a posting on XDA developers site which shows step by step procedure to do the same. Will post it here if I get it.

I got it the same way.
Old 20th October 2012, 22:44   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.maverick

Google checks the IP Address from where we login. So if you have an internet connection via US then you can get both the movie and the 25$ credit in Google wallet. If not there are sites like superfreevpn.com who provide free Vpn services. But you must rest to factory default first. There is a posting on XDA developers site which shows step by step procedure to do the same. Will post it here if I get it.

I got it the same way.
Thanks. I got my friend in the US to install apps using the $25 credit and all those apps are working fine. The issue that I have noticed so far is only with the Transformers movie. Please let me know the steps or point me to the link where I can see them. Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:23   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Thanks. I got my friend in the US to install apps using the $25 credit and all those apps are working fine. The issue that I have noticed so far is only with the Transformers movie. Please let me know the steps or point me to the link where I can see them. Thanks in advance.
Am not sure if the link comes up. Here it is http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1792592

If you bought Nexus 7 and didn't get 25$ credit (and missing Google Books, Google Magazines, Google Movies) this method may work for you.

1.Make factory reset.
2.When you get to the screen to enter Google account skip it.
3.Uncheck all the check-boxes in next screens.
4.Now when you got to the home screen, go to settings.Under Wireless and Networks click more.
5.Click on VPN, Add VPN. Now the Nexus 7 will ask you to define security (Pattern,Password,PIN), Define whatever you want.
6.Click again Add VPN, and enter this definitions:
Name: SuperFreeVPN
Server address: superfreevpn.com
and click save.
7.Now click on SuperFreeVPN,for username enter:free, and for password go to website superfreevpn.com and look for VPN Password.
8.Click Connect. If connected successfully you will see key icon in notifications.
9.Go to Settings, under Accounts click Add Account and choose Google. Enter your username and password, if everything is OK you will get to screen that will ask you to enter credit card to Google wallet to receive 25$ credit.
10.While you using VPN you can download Google Books, Google Magazines, Google Movies.

Credit to XDA developers member freesoul27

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks