Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 15:39   #1696
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
is there a good .epub reader that can sync across the devices and has comparable ease of use like the Kindle?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I use Google Play Books read my epubs, I upload to it from my cell, however I am not sure if the experience is same as Kindle, never used it.
Yup, Google Play Books works effortlessly across devices with the same login. I use it extensively and has Google goodness baked in (like translation). Is it better than Kindle device/ app? Both are pretty much the same. I use them interchangeably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You can convert .epub to .mobi very very easily using Calibre and then read on Kindle device or app.
Yup. A very convenient way to convert epubs/ mobis etc. to other formats.
You can use this software as well.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:54   #1697
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin@y View Post
I am looking for an Android Tablet with the following requirements:

- budget of ~10-15K INR (price is slightly flexible)
- primary use is attending online classes (through MS Teams) by kids
- screen size should be atleast 10" (I feel)
- good battery life is a must

Any suggestion?
I would suggest Samsung Tab A7 (2020)
https://www.samsung.com/in/tablets/g...M-T500NZAPINU/
slightly above your budget at 17999/-
But with the Amazon great Indian festival and Flipkart big billion sales coming up, you may get some offers.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 20:48   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Other than Samsung, what are other options (except Chinese) for Tablets with 10" Screen for online classes for 9 years old daughter and for watching videos for my wife.

Is it advisable to go for Calling feature (I am not sure to what extent this feature will be used)?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 25th November 2020 at 20:56.
Old 25th November 2020, 23:53   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Other than Samsung, what are other options (except Chinese) for Tablets with 10" Screen for online classes for 9 years old daughter and for watching videos for my wife.

Is it advisable to go for Calling feature (I am not sure to what extent this feature will be used)?
Not available in India but the Amazon Fire HD 10 is on sale for $80 currently (usual price $150) on amazon.com.
If you have someone coming to India or through a shipping forwarder, you can get it.
You can easily install play store in it and get all apps.

I have the 2017 version I am using for last 2 years and my kid does his online class also on this tablet.
Old 8th December 2020, 00:16   #1700
Senior - BHPian

4-5 days ago, I checked Samsung A7 Tablet at Local SS Mobiles Store.

On the Packing, it was printed Made In China.

Manufactured By: - ABCXYZ (Don't remember the name and address but it was of Chinese Origin)

Imported By: - DEFUVW (Don't remember the name but it was of Indian Origin).
That means Made in China products are not yet banned in India?

Should I go ahead with above Tablet (With LTE)? I will be buying through Samsung Shop App as SS Mobiles are not offering any discount and Samsung Shop App is giving offers of discount on Tablet and accessories.

If I should not buy Samsung (Due to China), then which non-chinese Tablet to buy?

How are iBall Tablets with respect to- (not in particular order)
1. Camera,
2. Processor and RAM Performance,
3. Reliability,
4. After-Sales Support (Updates, Service Centres).

Last edited by Aditya : 8th December 2020 at 18:59. Reason: As requested
Old 10th December 2020, 21:13   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Experts, Please help me decide between Samsung TAB A7 LTE and iBall iTab MovieZ, iBall iTab MovieZ Pro. I want to finalise within 2 days.

Samsung TAB A7 LTE-
1. Display- 10.4" WUXGA+
2. Internal Memory- 32GB
3. RAM- 3GB
4. Rear Camera- Rear- 8MP AF
5. Flash- No
6. Processor- Octa-Core 2Ghz, 1.8 Ghz
7. Battery Capacity- 7040 mAh
8. Speakers- Quad Speakers with Dolby Atmos
9. Android- 10
10. Price- 21999/-

iBall iTab MovieZ-
1. Display- 10.1" FHD
2. Internal Memory- 32GB
3. RAM- 2GB
4. Camera- Rear- 8MP AF, Front- 8MP AF
5. Flash- Yes
6. Processor- Octa-Core 1.66 GHz +1.2 GHz
7. Battery Capacity- 7000 mAh
8. Speakers- Dual Stereo Speakers
9. Android- 9
10. Price on Amazon.in- 12998/- (Black), 12990/- (Gold)

iBall iTab MovieZ Pro-
1. Display- 10.1" FHD
2. Internal Memory- 64GB
3. RAM- 4GB
4. Camera- Rear- 13MP AF, Front- 8MP AF
5. Flash- Yes
6. Processor- Octa-Core 1.6 GHz +1.2 GHz
7. Battery Capacity- 7000 mAh
8. Speakers- Dual Stereo Speakers
9. Android- 9
10. Price on Amazon.in- 16978/- (Black), 17496/- (Gold)
Old 10th December 2020, 21:40   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
Experts, Please help me decide between Samsung TAB A7 LTE and iBall iTab MovieZ, iBall iTab MovieZ Pro. I want to finalise within 2 days.
The real contest is between these two, since you are willing to consider the iBall iTab MovieZ Pro. Samsung is what I’d pick between the two. Having used an iBall Senior Citizen phone in the family (for my Grandma) and iBall Keyboard and Mouse, I would not recommend iBall. Samsung gives you a more premium product. It would also help to know your use for the product for the Samsung gets a bigger screen, better sound, bigger battery, latest android os etc.

PS. Why aren’t you considering the WiFi Only model?

Also, there are good deals on Lenovo tablets which would be my pick, especially this one here: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B088HBRHYG/...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Last edited by ampere : 20th April 2024 at 19:13. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
EightSix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 23:39   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Initially I was thinking of buying Samsung Tab A7 Wi-Fi variant. But given that the difference between Wifi Only Variant and LTE Variant is 4000/-, family members decided to go for LTE Variant. LTE Variant could be used independently by inserting a Sim if need arise in future (That's the sole reason for opting LTE Variant).

Infact my wife wanted to go for a Laptop since it's larger screen would be better on eyes for online classes for our 9 years old daughter. But given that a budget specification Laptop would not help (My daughter used my Dell Inspiron 3567 Laptop during July-September classes and it would freeze, slow down, hang and what not. So I had to stop it.), I am inclined towards a 10" Tablet.

Why is Lenovo offering Rs. 35500/- Yoga Smart Tablet for Rs. 19999/-?

While searching for Lenovo Yoga Smart on Google, came across this link-
Lenovo-Yoga-Smart-Tab-restarts-in-every-5-minutes
Does Lenovo face this problem?

I was inclined towards iBall over Samsung because the former had Flash for Rear Camera, More RAM and Double Internal Storage (Moviez Pro Variant) at the Price of latter's Wifi Variant.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:12   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Initially I was thinking of buying Samsung Tab A7 Wi-Fi variant. But given that the difference between Wifi Only Variant and LTE Variant is 4000/-, family members decided to go for LTE Variant. LTE Variant could be used independently by inserting a Sim if need arise in future (That's the sole reason for opting LTE Variant).

These days, since almost everyone has a mobile phone, there isn’t really a need for 4G LTE Tablets. You could connect your Tab to Mobile Hotspot any time you want. Or you can get a device like JioFi for just 2.5k only. In case you are willing to stretch your budget, you could go for a better tablet.

Infact my wife wanted to go for a Laptop since it's larger screen would be better on eyes for online classes for our 9 years old daughter. But given that a budget specification Laptop would not help (My daughter used my Dell Inspiron 3567 Laptop during July-September classes and it would freeze, slow down, hang and what not. So I had to stop it.), I am inclined towards a 10" Tablet.

DO NOT GO FOR A CHEAP LAPTOP. Unless you go over the 50K price range, you won’t get a decent laptop. They are all slow and crappy, be it Dell, Lenovo or HP. Besides, their screen is not the best of them all. Many of my friends have their own budget laptops for virtual school but they are way too problematic and have a really crappy screen.

Why is Lenovo offering Rs. 35500/- Yoga Smart Tablet for Rs. 19999/-?

Don’t know. There are plenty of good offers on Amazon. If you like the Yoga, go for it. It is a limited time deal. You just need to explore patiently. For example: https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Tab-M10...s%2C395&sr=8-4 and https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Tablet-...656536&sr=8-13

While searching for Lenovo Yoga Smart on Google, came across this link-
Lenovo-Yoga-Smart-Tab-restarts-in-every-5-minutes
Does Lenovo face this problem?

Like I said before, I’ve have had iBall products and they are sub-standard. You might want to go through these reviews:

https://www.amazon.in/iBall-iTAB-Mov...yStar=one_star

I was inclined towards iBall over Samsung because the former had Flash for Rear Camera, More RAM and Double Internal Storage (Moviez Pro Variant) at the Price of latter's Wifi Variant.

I would not encourage you to buy an iBall. If you could stretch your budget, you might find a 7th gen iPad (8th Gen is out already) in your neighbouring Apple Store/Reliance Digital etc. for 25K (32GB|WIFI ONLY|10.1”). Apple devices are pretty nice. Our iPod touch from 2009 is still working a decade later! An iPad will easily last your daughter to high-school! (Although applications and OS would lose support)
Please see my comments in Bold-Italics. Also, there is a Lenovo ChromeBook Tab at 27k. And they are great for students. I’m not a fan of Lenovo or anything, just own Motorola phones and previously an IBM computer in the family. Besides, they offer some pretty good tablets which fit all your requirements. You could call up a Lenovo store and bargain offline.

While buying it please think you would use it for atleast 5 years. Try stretching your budget if something is worth it. Don’t know if Amazon/others would have a year-end sale.

Mod Note: Please avoid responding within quoted posts. It becomes difficult to carry forward the discussion.

Last edited by ampere : 20th April 2024 at 19:15.
EightSix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:45   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
Please see my comments...
Quote:
Initially
Agree with all the points made by EightSix.
Stick with Samsung - it's not just the hardware. Later on you will be able to load a custom ROM (if not you, I'm sure your kids will do it) and get some more mileage out of the same device. As Samsung is a popular brand you'll find more support on forums like xda.

Samsung has better overall support. I don't know about this specific tablet, but comparing all the phones I've used, Samsung turned out to be the best.

Forget the LTE version - with a separate jiofi device you can place the hotspot device for the best signal at a different location and use the tablet - only downside is you have to carry a separate device.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 20:57   #1706
BHPian

Re: Gadgets for Kids!

I am facing a dilemma which many of you might have already gone through.

Kids and Gadgets!

Sounds like a very common problem I hope. I have a 4 year old son, who has been sitting idle at home for the past 1 year due to Covid. We could have put him in some online play school kind of thing but we thought of letting him enjoy his childhood for one more year. Once into school, it will be hard 18-20 years of non stop studies.

We have almost very carefully ensured that he does not become addicted to gadgets. He watches 1.5-2 hours of cartoon in YouTube everyday, but he does not fuss over watching it. He usually enjoys time spending with us rather than watching TV. We put it for him since we cannot spend whole day as both me and my wife are working in hectic projects. He is not at all addicted to mobile. Even if we keep something he usually asks to cast it into TV or watches for 5-10 minutes and closes it.

Now that he will join school in 3 months, we thought of engaging him with some basic stuff of learning. Very quickly we realize that he enjoys it only when it interactive. We tried some apps in Mobile which he loved. Since we do not want him to get addicted to mobile, we are thinking of buying a tablet so that he gets to learn lots of interactive stuff via apps. So my question is:

1) Should I go ahead and buy a tablet? Will he get too much addicted to it?
2) If at all we end up buying, we want to buy something which has the best display (for eye safety). Please suggest some models. Budget under 20-40K
3) Everywhere we turn, we see kids with apple IPAD/Air/Mini. Do they have better apps collection? I have heard most apps are not free. Being in Android world, I am not used to paying for apps.

Hoping to get good suggestions and guidance from bhpians.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 21:32   #1707
BHPian

Re: Gadgets for Kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Now that he will join school in 3 months, we thought of engaging him with some basic stuff of learning. Very quickly we realize that he enjoys it only when it interactive. We tried some apps in Mobile which he loved. Since we do not want him to get addicted to mobile, we are thinking of buying a tablet so that he gets to learn lots of interactive stuff via apps. So my question is:
Hi RaghuVis,

Why would you get him a Tablet? I would suggest a desktop computer. Since screen size is one of your primary concerns, get him a good all-in-one computer — I'm sure members here will help you out in choosing the right one.

If you want to buy a tablet, get an iPad. It costs ₹29,990 for the 32GB variant and has a great display, even better than few laptops 3 times its cost!

Apple devices last a long time. They have software (iPadOS) support for 5 years at least. They are faster than any other budget laptop, they are pretty easy to use too. That’s why they are popular. Secondly, they are affordable at ₹29k, you get a wonderful VFM device.

Since preventing addiction from devices is very important in your case, you can use the iPad’s Screen Time feature to restrict usage of certain apps, and also block certain content.

With Android, there is a Family Link feature too which works similarly and you can control your kid’s android tablet from your android smartphone. A Google search should give you some more information.

An iPad is still a delicate device that might not be easy for a 4-year-old to handle. This brings us back to my first point. Why not a desktop?

Regarding the point about paying for apps, I am guessing this is your first time in the Apple eco-system. No. You don’t need to pay for most apps — I don’t have a single paid app and I don’t think a 4-year-old would need one. When you said “interactive stuff via apps” — what sort of apps are you talking about? I would be able to help you out.
EightSix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 19:33   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need an help in buying a 10inch Android tablet with in 10-15k budget. Usage is limited for playing youtube and some other kids friendly apps for maybe 2 hours a day. Maybe a 3gb RAM and one that comes with expandable memory. I was looking at Huawei ones as I heard good feedback but hesitant to buy as google no longer supports it. Any suggestions?
Old 10th June 2021, 20:23   #1709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks, need an help in buying a 10inch Android tablet with in 10-15k budget. Usage is limited for playing Youtube and some other kids friendly apps for maybe 2 hours a day. Maybe a 3gb RAM and one that comes with expandable memory. I was looking at Huawei ones as I heard good feedback but hesitant to buy as google no longer supports it. Any suggestions?
Same same.
I bought a Huawei some months back, and would have gladly picked up another, but for the lack of future upgrades. This time I was looking for one for my son who's 7, and picked up a lenovo m10 x306x.
It's got fantastic parental control, that you can monitor everything your child does. From chats to permitting app installation, from your own phone. You can also set up a daily timer, and can grant additional time, or lock the tab from your phone. Pick it up eyes closed.
Configuration wise it's decent enough for even a phone.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 22:09   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I bought a Huawei some months back, and would have gladly picked up another, but for the lack of future upgrades. This time I was looking for one for my son who's 7, and picked up a lenovo m10 x306x.
Is this the model that you bought? Some of the reviews suggest issue with app installation or screen hang.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks