Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:53   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
3) Ipad Air 2
I would recommend this tablet from US. Advantages of buying in US are:

1. For $100 you can add AppleCare+ that would take care of screen breaks/ liquid spills. AppleCare is valid in India. Do call customer care and validate if this continues to be the case.
2. Useful in case of gifts: Apple includes free engraving of name + message in iPad/iPhone/iPod
3. You can add accessories that are not easily available in India (E.g.: SD card reader)

Which state does your friend live in? Depending on that, cost might change (taxes). In some states it might be even higher than India.
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:39   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
So is it worth getting a tab from US. The ones I am specifically interested are
1) Samsung Tab 4 T531
2) google Nexus 9 (but this doesn't come with 3G, only wifi)
3) Ipad Air 2

Advice needed.
Mostly amongst the top tier brands there is a 15-20% difference between prices in India and US.
If you are not particular about these 3 options, and are a bit into gaming then I would suggest the NVIDIA Shield tablet. It's got a similar processor to the Nexus 9- the Tegra K1.
Also it would be major saving if you get it from the US as it's available for $300 whereas it comes to around 40k in India after importing from various resellers.
Old 22nd December 2014, 20:44   #1578
BHPian

After getting a Windows 8.1 tab, I shortly bought another. Coming from three generations of iPad including the latest and the first, and also the one but latest Nexus tab, I have come to realize, productivity is MOST with windows. I'm a mac guy, but I have to admit, other than media consumption and the web browsing, the iPad and Android tabs have not much going from them. Sure, you could invest your brain and time into downloading apps to make your life simple as to get it going in the right direction as you would have had it, if a mobile workstation was with you. I never believed it, but it's true. The Best buy tablet I bought from Best Buy and the acer iconia I bought from India have changed my mind. I carry a full Chrome browser, a full presentation to be displayed over micro HDMi, a half full 128 Gig SD card of my movies and my wifi Photon which helps me see my TV shows. All of them. Even the flash only ones off of free sites. No glitches. I like a tab so much, heck, I bought a tab laptop. An HP stream. My latest gen Mac air is as good. At five times the price. In my opinion, if iPads can go the distance and run OSX, that'll be the day I go back to iPads as a replacement to my workspace.
Old 24th December 2014, 11:39   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Report on Lenovo Yoga 2 8" 4G
I am also looking to buy one. Will 3G sim work on this?
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:47   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
After getting a Windows 8.1 tab, I shortly bought another. .....The Best buy tablet I bought from Best Buy and the acer iconia I bought from India have changed my mind. I carry a full Chrome browser, a full presentation to be displayed over micro HDMi, a half full 128 Gig SD card of my movies and my wifi Photon which helps me see my TV shows. All of them. Even the flash only ones off of free sites. No glitches. I like a tab so much, heck, I bought a tab laptop. An HP stream. My latest gen Mac air is as good. At five times the price. In my opinion, if iPads can go the distance and run OSX, that'll be the day I go back to iPads as a replacement to my workspace.
So, based on your experience which windows tab would you recommend, is the Acer Iconia W4 still a good buy or any other recommendation?
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:53   #1581
BHPian

I very recently got myself the Ipad 4th gen. Needed advice if I should upgrade it to ios8. Read a lot of mixed reviews on the internet.
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:54   #1582
BHPian

Anyone here using any of the Digiflip devices sold by Flipkart? The reviews make the device look promising.
Old 4th January 2015, 17:16   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Anyone here using any of the Digiflip devices sold by Flipkart? The reviews make the device look promising.
One of my friend had purchased the Digiflip Pro XT901, an 8.9" model a few days back for Rs.11,999.

The display looks good (FullHD resolution), but it is heavy.

I too wanted one but am worried about the longevity since it is a local brand by FK.
Old 20th January 2015, 00:06   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
One of my friend had purchased the Digiflip Pro XT901, an 8.9" model a few days back for Rs.11,999.

The display looks good (FullHD resolution), but it is heavy.

I too wanted one but am worried about the longevity since it is a local brand by FK.
Thanks so much. I decide against it and ordered a Xolo tegra 7 inch for 7999 from Amazon 5 minutes back. I need it just for viewing some presentations during class when I dont have access to my laptop.

Should be here in a day or two.
Old 20th January 2015, 07:21   #1585
Senior - BHPian

For those considering laptop replacements and have a good budget - there's absolutely nothing that comes close to the Surface pro 3 - outstanding laptop like experience on windows with the convenience of a tab for meetings / presentations / pitches.
Old 20th January 2015, 13:50   #1586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Experts,

One of my relative is returning back from US and was thinking of getting a tablet for my son through them. Which tablet would prove to be cost effective buying from US. I can see a basic difference of Rs 7K between Indian and US prices. But then the tablets bought in US don't come with an international warranty and this would cost additional $50 which means the effective price difference comes down by another 3.5K. So is it worth getting a tab from US. The ones I am specifically interested are
1) Samsung Tab 4 T531
2) google Nexus 9 (but this doesn't come with 3G, only wifi)
3) Ipad Air 2

Advice needed.
If you have mostly Android devices around the family/ home, then it may not make much sense to have an iOS device (unless you slowly start to migrate over). Sharing files or copying music requires iTunes/ PC, for example.

However, there would be many other factors to consider in the purchase.

For me, since I do not have any 'i' devices with me, though I have plenty in at my brother and sister's family, I can see that agreeing on common communication platforms becomes tricky.
e.g. I use Hangouts where as some others use Facetime or something else.

Not sure if this is relevant in your case.

Last edited by S_U_N : 20th January 2015 at 13:52.
Old 20th January 2015, 15:14   #1587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
So, based on your experience which windows tab would you recommend, is the Acer Iconia W4 still a good buy or any other recommendation?
Acer's Iconia series are good. Also give the HP Stream series of 7" and 8" tablets a look. I have a HP Stream 7 that I got via a Black Friday deal on Amazon.com, and am impressed with its build quality and feel. The 8" HP Stream is available on both Flipkart and Amazon for ~17k.

Compared to these, I now find the Dell Venue Pro overpriced, while it was earlier a product I lusted after.

Quote:
I own a DigiFlip Pro 7" tablet, that cost me 4000 (and is 4300 today, IIRC). I'm happy with it, and use it as my daily use tablet, for browsing, ebooks, etc.

Only 2 features I find lacking are: a) screen resolution is 1024x600 where I'd have preferred 1280x800 b) no GPS sensor. However, I was aware of these limitations and am happy with its price.

At that price, I'm comfortable treating it without worrying too much over damages FWIW, I've dropped it from a height of 5" onto a tiled floor, a few clips from the chrome bezel popped out, and I just clicked them back in place.
Old 20th January 2015, 16:09   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
For those considering laptop replacements and have a good budget - there's absolutely nothing that comes close to the Surface pro 3 - outstanding laptop like experience on windows with the convenience of a tab for meetings / presentations / pitches.
However, the Surface pro 3 is not available officially in India. It is available on EBAY and all, but I am doubtful about the warranty.
Old 23rd January 2015, 22:09   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much. I decide against it and ordered a Xolo tegra 7 inch for 7999 from Amazon 5 minutes back. I need it just for viewing some presentations during class when I dont have access to my laptop.

Should be here in a day or two.
The tab arrived and first impression is WOW. For 8000, this device kicks a$$.
Its not as gorgeous as I would have wanted, but seems well built. Its lightning fast for now and the display and sound are really nice.
I have a Nexus 2012 and it seems a decade old in front of this.

Lets see how my views change in the next 2-3 days once I get some apps in and the excitement goes down
Old 29th January 2015, 20:43   #1590
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys need help urgently. For a budget of within 8k strictly, which is the best pick? I am looking towards the Digiflip 8' and the Acer tab with Windows 8.1.

Considering that I have a windows phone and my whole family is used to it, will it be a wise choice or should I go choose the Digiflip? I don't need a sim card slot as I will either use Wifi or my phone as an AP. Looking for a good screen and good performance as well as good quality. Please suggest as I will order within this day or tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks