Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 19:06   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Guys, please help me out of this confusion over- Samsung Wave ( 18/-) or Apple 3GS ( 18/-)(Pre-worshipped).
My requirements are not that great. I just need a good looking phone which does it's primary job, and a bit of secondary add on's like photography,music or media player and a bit of surfing. Oh yeah it should have good gaming section too.
If you can define the "primary" word above, then we can help you better.

For the secondary requirements you have defined, Wave easily wins hands down against iPhone 3GS. Wave has 5 MP Camera which can record 1280x720 videos, slow motion videos. Music player is just fantastic (on par with iPhone if not better). The games are amazing too. Just search for Samsung Wave games on youtube and you would know what I am talking about.
Old 13th October 2010, 19:18   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I have heard this before. Kies is not really usable still. I can't help you here as I don't have tried this.

Did you upgrade to bada 1.2? How is the experience so far?
pretty solid IMO.
My Battery life has reduced a bit (maybe im hallucinating).
Phone has not yet hung up on me since the update.

Recently bought my self a flexisheild cover for my wave . The phone is much more friendly to hold on to and its not even noticeable.(got it shipped from mobileden uk)

Last edited by vinaydas : 13th October 2010 at 19:23.
Old 14th October 2010, 14:17   #48
BHPian

Samsung Theme Designer

Samsung has announced the official version of Theme Designer for bada OS. Now we should see many more themes for Wave .

Samsung Mobile Innovator - Samsung Developer program for Symbian, Windows Mobile and Java

Today I found some real good themes here - Tematy - Samsung WAVE - okti - Chomikuj.pl

Here are some screenshots. The leopard theme is my favorite. Windows 7 theme is good too.

Samsung "bada" OS thread - Tips, Tricks and Hacks-20101014140418.jpg Samsung "bada" OS thread - Tips, Tricks and Hacks-20101014140715.jpg Samsung "bada" OS thread - Tips, Tricks and Hacks-20101014140815.jpg
Old 15th October 2010, 12:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gandhi,
Awesome work on the Bada OS. Earlier I did not give the OS a chance thinking it will not be able to hold on in front of Android, and other fancied OS's but I am pleasantly surprised now.

I am looking at buying a new phone soon and I will keenly follow your thread. Quite fancy the Nokia E7, HTC Desire HD and Samsung Wave range.

Cheers
Old 15th October 2010, 13:27   #50
BHPian

Quote:
If you can define the "primary" word above, then we can help you better.
Hi Gandhi,
Primary means the main functions the device was built for. That in this case is calling and receiving calls and sending text messages. What i wanted to confirm is that, has it got good enough network range? My office is in a basement actually so I want phones with good signal strength's. I know that depends upon the carrier also, but the hardware should be good unlike SE ( dont flame me guys).
The guy who was selling me the Iphone was telling that the video quality of iphone is better than the Wave. Something about frames per second.
What do you think about the OS. Has the 2.1 version been updated yet. Do you think that will solve the problems related to kies.
Old 15th October 2010, 13:52   #51
BHPian

@isldhn, I haven't faced any issues with network coverage yet. Seems to catch signals fine so far. It is on par with my last phone (it was an SE phone and I was really happy with with, not sure about your issues with SE).

I don't know what are the specs of iPhone camera, but Wave does pretty good video. Just check on youtube. See this video at 720p resolution -

Regarding OS, it is pretty solid considering it is still version 1.0. Features like mobile tethering, ability to install apps on memory card etc are present on 1.0 itself (Android 2.1 still doesn't have such features).
Old 15th October 2010, 13:54   #52
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
pretty solid IMO.
My Battery life has reduced a bit (maybe im hallucinating).
Phone has not yet hung up on me since the update.

Recently bought my self a flexisheild cover for my wave . The phone is much more friendly to hold on to and its not even noticeable.(got it shipped from mobileden uk)
@Vinaydas; If you don't mind, could you please tell how you managed to upgrade the OS to 1.2? I recently tried upgrading my firmware but didn't succeed. Kies threw some error message in between. Luckily the phone was not bricked, it is working as before.

Any document editor that any of you are using in the Wave? Also, an issue with the in built browser in the Wave, automatic text reflow doesn't happen when the page is zoomed in or out. Any work around for this?
Old 15th October 2010, 14:07   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
@Vinaydas; If you don't mind, could you please tell how you managed to upgrade the OS to 1.2? I recently tried upgrading my firmware but didn't succeed. Kies threw some error message in between. Luckily the phone was not bricked, it is working as before.

Any document editor that any of you are using in the Wave? Also, an issue with the in built browser in the Wave, automatic text reflow doesn't happen when the page is zoomed in or out. Any work around for this?
bada 1.2 is very much released now and next release of Wave would have bada 1.2. Try once again with your Kies (For older phones). Check you internet connection. It should be able to download firmware from network.

Someone pointed out IPhone video quality is better than Wave, then I must say that guy never checked Wave. IPhone is just hype. Much more features and quality than IPhone you are getting in Wave in 50% price.

I am using Wave since very beginning and I must say the quality of reception and network are much better than any other phones available. IPhone users are cribbing a lot for poor signal quality in their phones .
Old 15th October 2010, 20:43   #54
BHPian

bada games

Guys, we haven't discussed anything about the games available for bada. My favorite games are asphalt, Bruce lee and kroll. What do you guys play on your wave? Here are some screen shots of these games for non Wavers.

Android users can only dream of such games. :

Samsung "bada" OS thread - Tips, Tricks and Hacks-20101015201034e001.jpgSamsung "bada" OS thread - Tips, Tricks and Hacks-20101015200908.jpgSamsung "bada" OS thread - Tips, Tricks and Hacks-20101015201136e001.jpgSamsung "bada" OS thread - Tips, Tricks and Hacks-20101015195326e001.jpg

Forgot to mention, I am posting this using my wave. :
Old 15th October 2010, 21:15   #55
UKR
BHPian

I am a strategy guy, I liked Empire Defense. It is a tower defense game available in app store, cleared the first level but I don't know how to unlock next levels. Also looking to buy The Settlers also once I figure out how to buy it.

@Gandhi: Did you use the inbuilt browser to post? Are you finding issues with text reflow when you zoom in?

Last edited by UKR : 15th October 2010 at 21:17.
Old 15th October 2010, 23:08   #56
BHPian

Yes, I am usimg the built in browser. Text reflow is not available right now. It is present for email and messages but not for the browser. Hope they fix it in future firmwares.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:52   #57
BHPian

did a firmware update right now.
current version is S8500DDJH1/S8500ODDJH1
earlier attempts had all failed
not sure how better its going to be.
One bug is that my all deleted sms's has reappeared as new
Old 19th October 2010, 13:03   #58
BHPian

Samsung wave for 13500/-

Hey Guy's, Yesterday I saw an unlocked Samsung wave ( a T-mobile version) which the seller was selling for 13500/-. The piece had scratches both sides of the screen which could be diminished by laminating. I used the phone for around half an hour. I was ready to sacrifice the cosmetic aspect because of the mouth watering price offered, but then i felt that the screen was also moving when pressed from the lower left corner. I could see that the screen was not properly aligned. I asked the seller and he said that he will get it laminated and that problem can be solved, but i was skeptical because the screen is the most important aspect of any touchscreen phone, and i did not want it giving up on me. What do you guys think. Did I make the right move by declining the offer.
Nitin
Old 19th October 2010, 13:44   #59
BHPian

^^^ I think you did the right thing. You can't figure out if the phone is completely working or not in half n hour. A lot of things are observed only when the phone is used for many days. Don't take chances.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:05   #60
BHPian

@ Gandhi: Yeah i was just double minded because of the price. This guys was telling me that he would swap my phone for the SGS in a week or so and deduct just 500/-. SGS was quoted for 16-17/- depending upon the condition.
One more thing. I tried using the You Tube app., but the video was not being played. The site opened super quick( Wi-Fi hi speed connection) but the video was not playing. Any specific reason for that. I tried Facebook app. and it was fine but there was no logout option. Is the app specifically designed for the Wave, cause i could not see the site as is visible on say Iphone or any Pc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks