Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 20:25   #16
BHPian

That's strange. What is the firmware version of your Wave? Mine is - S8500DDJH1_INU. If yours is different than you are not running the latest firmware available in India. Connect your Wave to Kies and upgrade to latest firmware.
Old 6th October 2010, 23:43   #17
UKR
BHPian

Upgrade to OS version 1.2?

Has anyone upgraded the OS to version 1.2? I have read that the new version has swype feature, has better memory management and is faster than the current version.

Also I had selected UK as my country while installing Kies so that I could access the app store through Kies. Now Kies is showing that a firmware upgrade is available. I was wondering if it would cause any problem if I upgrade the firmware on a device bought in India with country set to UK in Kies?
Old 7th October 2010, 09:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
Has anyone upgraded the OS to version 1.2? I have read that the new version has swype feature, has better memory management and is faster than the current version.
I have not. I'm still waiting for official release from Samsung. Actually I don't have direct access to any windows machine to can't connect my Wave to Kies. Once bada 1.2 is officially available, I'll loan a windows machine from friend and upgrade. From there on, I can upgrade the firmware over the air on wi-fi.

Quote:
Also I had selected UK as my country while installing Kies so that I could access the app store through Kies. Now Kies is showing that a firmware upgrade is available. I was wondering if it would cause any problem if I upgrade the firmware on a device bought in India with country set to UK in Kies?
Are you really able to download the apps available in UK store? If yes, I want to do it too. The number of apps available in UK store are 3 times more than in India store.
Old 7th October 2010, 10:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Folks, which OS is the Samsung Star Superb running- I just could not locate any OS information ? If it is Bada, then I want apps !!
The Star is just a feature phone running on Java with Touchwiz UI on top. So while you can install any Java app , I doubt you can get Bada apps for it.
Old 7th October 2010, 11:39   #20
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I have not. I'm still waiting for official release from Samsung. Actually I don't have direct access to any windows machine to can't connect my Wave to Kies. Once bada 1.2 is officially available, I'll loan a windows machine from friend and upgrade. From there on, I can upgrade the firmware over the air on wi-fi.

Are you really able to download the apps available in UK store? If yes, I want to do it too. The number of apps available in UK store are 3 times more than in India store.
I am not really sure whether I am being shown the Indian app store or the UK one. But initially when I tried to access it, it was telling app store not available for your country. So I tried reinstalling Kies with country set to UK. I was then able to access the app store.

Could you please tell me how to upgrade firmware over the air?
Old 7th October 2010, 11:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
The Star is just a feature phone running on Java with Touchwiz UI on top. So while you can install any Java app , I doubt you can get Bada apps for it.
Thanks for that clarification - its the clearest I've received! Let me start searching Java apps then.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that clarification - its the clearest I've received! Let me start searching Java apps then.
You can get thousands of Java apps on getjar.com, but bear in mind that most of them are designed for feature phones with tiny screens and would look like crap on the bigger screen of the Star. But you can select your phone at the top and find apps for that.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
I am not really sure whether I am being shown the Indian app store or the UK one.
If you can see total number of apps through Kies, you can figure out if it is India store or UK store. Here are the numbers as of today -

India - 898
UK - 2184

Quote:
Could you please tell me how to upgrade firmware over the air?
OTA firmware upgrade is supported on bada 1.0.2 onwards only. AFAIK, in India the latest bada version is still 1.0 so we need to upgrade to at least 1.0.2 to get OTA firmware upgrades.

Quote:
GetJar - Appsolutely Everything for Nokia, BlackBerry, Android, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG, Palm. is your friend.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:45   #24
BHPian

^^ A flag also appears on top showing which country's app store you are in.

And yes you can download apps from the UK store. Only thing is you can only download free apps - or use a UK credit card to download the paid ones. I downloaded NFS from the UK store long time ago and have also downloaded few other apps of late.
Old 7th October 2010, 14:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
And yes you can download apps from the UK store. Only thing is you can only download free apps - or use a UK credit card to download the paid ones. I downloaded NFS from the UK store long time ago and have also downloaded few other apps of late.
Damn. I don't have Kies as I don't have any windows machine. When will Samsung give a Mac version of Kies .
Old 7th October 2010, 14:54   #26
BHPian

I bought Samsung Wave in the month of August. I had installed NFS Shift from Samsung apps. Recently I had a problem with the time shown for my messages received in the mobile when compared to the time shown in the home screen. So I took the mobile to Samsung Service center to check it. The personnel at Service center did a hard reset of my mobile which erased everything which was in my phone memory. But even then the issue was not fixed & he told me that he would be calling me as soon as he finds a solution.

So came back & tried installing all my lost apps from KIES, but could not install NFS shift. It gave me an error stating "update card details in my page". I then tried accessing Samsungapps.com website to download NFS shift, but it stated page not available. Kindly let me know what need to be done to get the game back.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, which OS is the Samsung Star Superb running- I just could not locate any OS information ? If it is Bada, then I want apps !!

theMAG, the OS what you have in Samsung Star is just Samsung Proprietry Platform(SHP - Samsung Handset Platform). bada is extension to SHP for the capability of downloading third party applications. Lets not call it OS. By the way SHP runs on Nucleus RTOS.

To check Firmware version use *#1234#

Folks, I have question.

What is the best Social feature you like in Samsung Wave? How are the preinstalled applications Twitter, Facebook? Have you used Social Hub and MyAccount?

Last edited by anujmishra : 7th October 2010 at 15:08.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
What is the best Social feature you like in Samsung Wave? How are the preinstalled applications Twitter, Facebook? Have you used Social Hub and MyAccount?
I haven't used the social apps on Android or iPhone but the ones on bada are good enough for me. I don't use them extensively so won't be able to give you exact details.
Old 7th October 2010, 16:06   #29
BHPian

After trying lot of different widgets etc, I have a home screen of my taste. This is how it looks like now -

Samsung "bada" OS thread - Tips, Tricks and Hacks-20101007160319.jpg
Old 7th October 2010, 16:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

@Gandhi, look nice. Should have had the current date though since you have days listed.

Most Viewed