Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 14:51   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh thanks.

How is this product? And whats the cost?

it is around 2300 INR.

eBay India: Amkette Flash TV Multimedia Player for Any TV with Bill (item 370393246026 end time 15-Jun-2010 11:37:15 IST)
Old 8th June 2010, 15:13   #257
BHPian

also check out the product details below

Amkette Flash TV
Old 8th June 2010, 15:22   #258
BHPian

NBOX N32 second generation

Quote:
Does anyone have the Nbox TV Media Player? Sounds like a good product at the price.
I have tried the NBOX N32 model.
I have tried mkv avi and mpg for video, they play good on the 40" LCD via component inputs.
MP3 are a pain to play if they are not located in the root folder (you need to play each song and then press forward for songs located in other folders)

I have hooked it up to 1TB external USB seagate drive and enjoying the movies.
Make sure you get the second generation N32 player. I believe there is a large difference in the formats supported between the 1st and 2nd generation boxes. It was purchased at ebay india.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:55   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Thanks, I will try there.
Does X streamer work the same way, in terms of the 1080p output? Also, I am not sure of the point in taking the internet enabled versions - I will not take a cable to the device and I am not sure how well the wifi will support it. I am looking to just play portable HDD content on the HDTV.
Output is HDMI. Is that your question?

With WLAN:
For HD streaming over WLAN, I need 802.11n router which supports 150Mbps+ (480Mbps). I have 802.11g(56Mbps) only. So it gets frame jitter at HD streaming through WLAN. For SD no issues. Again it is not that big issue for 720p streaming. Problem is only for 1080p files.

People say going to N-router solved problem for them. I have fair evidence to believe that.

USB: There is absolutely no issues with either SD or 720p or 1080p.

Internet: I also thought no use of internet enabled version, but now I am fan of YouTube played on large screen. Low resolution frames are smoothen out to remove digital box effects. My viewing distance is 7 feet. Also I download material on desktop and watch it on TV. Picassa website photo access is now possible.

Last edited by omishra : 8th June 2010 at 17:56.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:11   #260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
it is around 2300 INR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
also check out the product details below
Hey thanks a lot dude. Really appericiate your help. I am comparing the Amkette with the Nbox for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrswift View Post
I have tried the NBOX N32 model.
Thanks for your review. Seems like a good enough product. I will lookout for the N32 deal.

Thanks again both.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:50   #261
BHPian

What is the N32 priced at ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
After much reviews and readings I have decided to go for the Archos 5 android with 500 gb.
The thing is in india They charge 28k and in the US they charge just 21k.
So still thinking.
Given your budget you should look at the Popcorn Hour, they ship to India
Welcome To Popcorn Hour

All the features and support that Popcorn hour provides are still un-matched by any other Network media player.

However to leverage all the features you need to be a bit technical.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2010 at 17:16. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 22:45   #262
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
What is the N32 priced at ?
Quotes on ebay dot in are in the range of 1.5 to 2.0 k.

Check here: nbox, Consumer Electronics, media player, hdd items at low prices on eBay India
Old 8th June 2010, 23:17   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Quotes on ebay dot in are in the range of 1.5 to 2.0 k.

Check here: nbox, Consumer Electronics, media player, hdd items at low prices on eBay India
Just checked out the device. Looks like a good value for money device for regular viewing, Only constraints I see is that.

1. No HDMI output, so you might not get the best out of your LCD/Plasma.

2. No Digital Audio out i.e. either Co-axial or Optical. Hence you will not get the original Dolby Digital/ DTS audio channel effect. i.e. if you are planning to hook it up to a good AVR/Speaker set.

3. Does not have any feature to upgrade the firmware, so you are stuck with what is provided with the box.

4. As updated earlier Mp3 playback does not seem to be user friendly. So if you plan to dump all your CD's for playback, it might not be easy to do so.

If these things are not of much importance, then I think its a good buy.

Last edited by Fillmore : 8th June 2010 at 23:18.
Old 9th June 2010, 07:28   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Output is HDMI. Is that your question?

With WLAN:
For HD streaming over WLAN, I need 802.11n router which supports 150Mbps+ (480Mbps). I have 802.11g(56Mbps) only. So it gets frame jitter at HD streaming through WLAN. For SD no issues. Again it is not that big issue for 720p streaming. Problem is only for 1080p files.

People say going to N-router solved problem for them. I have fair evidence to believe that.

USB: There is absolutely no issues with either SD or 720p or 1080p.

Internet: I also thought no use of internet enabled version, but now I am fan of YouTube played on large screen. Low resolution frames are smoothen out to remove digital box effects. My viewing distance is 7 feet. Also I download material on desktop and watch it on TV. Picassa website photo access is now possible.
Thanks once again. I have now located a Mumbai store since I will be there in a couple of days, and I am getting a WDTV live for Rs 8100. Not too much of extra money over the non live version, so I thought I will take that. I will look to getting a wireless USB adapter to allow it to get net/network access.
Old 9th June 2010, 08:28   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Given your budget you should look at the Popcorn Hour, they ship to India
Welcome To Popcorn Hour

All the features and support that Popcorn hour provides are still un-matched by any other Network media player.

However to leverage all the features you need to be a bit technical.
Before buying xtreamer I compared WDTV, Asus O' Player, Popcorn and evaluated all features. One thing I like in xtreamer is that it is free source code (Linux kernel) available. You can compile it and add new kernel module/drivers.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:10   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Before buying xtreamer I compared WDTV, Asus O' Player, Popcorn and evaluated all features. One thing I like in xtreamer is that it is free source code (Linux kernel) available. You can compile it and add new kernel module/drivers.
Earlier I had not gone into the details of xtreamer. Just went though the same, looks neat.
I was comparing it to the PCH (Popcorn Hr) which I have and appears that both can pretty much do similar stuff.
Does the xtreamer come with inbuilt Movie/Music Jukebox ?
In case of PCH these are external free apps. i.e. I use YAMJ for the movies and MusicJukebox for the CD collection.

As for firmware updates you get one roughly every 3-4 months.
Only minor irritant is that, it does not let you write directly via the n/w into a connected external USB HDD that is NTFS formatted . Instead I need to disconnect it , connect it directly to the PC and transfer data. However with the internal HDD on the device you can do direct file copy/ftp/telnet etc..

Another thing is the Support forum is pretty good for this device. i.e.
Networked Media Tank

-Fillmore
Old 9th June 2010, 12:22   #267
BANNED

Quote:
Looks like a good value for money device for regular viewing,
Fits my requirement perfectly.

Quote:
1. No HDMI output, so you might not get the best out of your LCD/Plasma.
Dont watch too much "TV". Have a normal CRT 29". No great fan of LCD/Plasma and not looking to upgrade soon.

Quote:
2. No Digital Audio out i.e. either Co-axial or Optical. Hence you will not get the original Dolby Digital/ DTS audio channel effect. i.e. if you are planning to hook it up to a good AVR/Speaker set.
The TV speakers work just fine for me. Again not a very avid viewer of high definition stuff.

Quote:
3. Does not have any feature to upgrade the firmware, so you are stuck with what is provided with the box.
Again not much of a criteria for me.

Quote:
4. As updated earlier Mp3 playback does not seem to be user friendly. So if you plan to dump all your CD's for playback, it might not be easy to do so.
Only place I listen to music is in the car or the iPOD. At home we do have a Panasonic Music player with 4 speakers. It hardly gets used. I would never probably use it for MP3. Also I dont have a home theatre so really nothing to hook it to.

Quote:
If these things are not of much importance, then I think its a good buy.
PERFECT.

The only time I am infront of the TV is during live sports telecasts. Other times I hardly watch anything. I do download movies/Top Gear Episodes and some Discovery stuff, on and off if it interests me. Watch them mostly on the laptop and thats it. So now I just want to watch them on TV because the laptop screen is too small and only one person can watch at a time.

Filmore, thanks for the awesome details you outlined above about the products. Its all that I was looking for. Appreciate your time and help on this.

Thanks again
Old 9th June 2010, 15:00   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Fits my requirement perfectly.

Dont watch too much "TV". Have a normal CRT 29". No great fan of LCD/Plasma and not looking to upgrade soon.

But Amkette Flash TV has PAL/NTSC and HD output.
With HD out it is crystal clear.
Old 10th June 2010, 00:13   #269
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows where to buy xtreamer and wd tv live in NCR.
also the price for them.
Thanks.
Old 10th June 2010, 00:35   #270
BHPian

I have wdtv live which I got from Dubai for rs6700 . It plays HD formats flawlessly but for sound u should connect it optically for the dts or Dolby experience. I haven't upgraded to latest firmware due to reports of bricked firmware!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks