Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 17:30   #91
BHPian

Has anyone experienced the range of portable projectors from the various manufacturers?
Dell - M109s
Benq - Joybee GP1
Acer - K10

Spoke to the dealers and most of them have a contrast ratio of 2000:1 and native resoultion of 800 X 600.
However the compressed resolution of a few can be 1280 X 1024.
I am buying a projector on a budget and this is the best I can stretch. (Approx 30-35k)

Would anyone recommend this?
Should I take the plunge?
Old 14th January 2010, 12:07   #92
BHPian

Hello All!
Had a couple of projector related questions. I am thinking of installing a home theater with a slighlty unique setup in the next few months and I am currently in the planning phase.

What I want to do is mount a 46" LED on the wall for regular television viewing. At the same time, I would like to have a celing mounted projector with a motorized screen infront of the LED TV. So when, someone wants to watch a movie or a sporting event, one can just flip a switch and have the projector come on.

I will probably pick up a 1080p projector from the US in the $1000 to $1500 range. BRands being considered are Optoma, Samsung, Mitsubishi & Epson.

Here are my questions:
1) Are bulbs easily available in India and are they universal or brand specific.
2) How often does one need to replace the bulb and what do these cost?
3) How much do motorized screens cost in India with high gain paint pre applied?

Thats all for now!

Thanks,
V
Old 9th May 2010, 19:09   #93
BHPian

Which home projector?

(Coulden't find a new post for projectors so creating a new thread)

I am looking for a projector for picture size of width 64 inch * 36 inch for watching movies at home. Any Idea which projector will be good? I am looking for hdmi connectivity.

Thanks
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:00   #94
BHPian

Hi All,

Just saw some ad in newspapers in Bangalore on Epson EH-DM3 projectors.

Epson EH-DM3

This has in built DVD player alongwith more than average speakers integrated. This is costing around 50K (which includes a complimentary screen + subscription to 70mm.com for one year). It has 540P resolution (so, it is not HD) and a lamp life of 4000 to 5000 hours (normal to eco mode). Contrast ratio is 3000:1 and has brightness of 2000 lm.

I have ordered for a demo at home, expected to happen during this week as it seems there were lot of requests for the demo already for this unit.

Experts, please comment if this is a good deal? What are the other viable alternatives available in the market now to this?
Old 29th December 2010, 19:07   #95
BHPian

re: The Home Theatre Projector thread

I'm planning provision at home for Projector Home Theatre setup, so once the construction is over I can buy setup and install.

http://www.sony.co.in/productcategor...home-projector
I saw couple of models from Sony, screen coverage 40 inch to 300 inch. Does it mean approx 22 feet (from wall) if I mount the projector in roof, it can throw 200 inch screen?

What other models available in India? I'm checking out LG/Samsung, visited couple of shops, no demo available at all.

Anything else to take care in the setup?
Old 30th December 2010, 15:50   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
I'm planning provision at home for Projector Home Theatre setup, so once the construction is over I can buy setup and install.

Home Projector : Projector : Sony India
I saw couple of models from Sony, screen coverage 40 inch to 300 inch. Does it mean approx 22 feet (from wall) if I mount the projector in roof, it can throw 200 inch screen?

What other models available in India? I'm checking out LG/Samsung, visited couple of shops, no demo available at all.

Sathya,

In the Setup you would also need to check whats the size of the screen. I am not aware of 200 inch screens which are sold generally. Can you let me know the details of the screen that you are planning to pick up - size, price, location, etc

I have an Optoma HD 66 which a friend of mine brought down. Its a brilliant Projector and i am definately loving the projector experience. Other things such as HDMi Cable, hometheatre, Reciever, etc would also be required, if you need to set up a complete home theater experience.

I am also in the process of setting it up and will take a while for me to get it all up and running..
Old 30th December 2010, 19:35   #97
BHPian

Quote:

Home Projector : Projector : Sony India

1. Since your post says 'once construction is over' , In case you are constructing the house then now itself make arrangements for an internal wiring pipe which comes out at the ceiling (Where the projector would be mounted) to run the HDMI cable and Power cable. Or a Power point at the ceiling. You can also make arrangements for internal wiring to run the speaker cable for the rear speakers.

2. As for the screen size, it depends on the Throw ratio of the projector.
the further the distance from the projector lamp to the screen, the bigger the image.
Query up your projector model here and view the screen size you will get depending on your room size.
Sony VPL-HW10 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

4. As for price, the prices are very competitive in the US i.e. for 1080p. I don't think its worth purchasing in India.

Check this site
The Best Home Theater Projectors

-Fillmore
Old 30th December 2010, 21:58   #98
Team-BHP Support

What do you guys think of the Panasonic PT-AE4000? Its supposed to be pretty good right? Im pretty much finalizing on that for my new house. The only issue is the throw distance will be only 10 feet, how big a screen can I expect in that, 80 inches?
Old 30th December 2010, 22:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The only issue is the throw distance will be only 10 feet, how big a screen can I expect in that, 80 inches?
97 inches, according to the ProjectorCentral's (award-winning) calculator.

Don't go for screens for such sizes, instead paint the wall. Screen Goo's very expensive (and you cant carry/send it via air AFAIK) but there are DIY resources available for mixing ordinary paints.

Screen Goo site:
Goo Systems Global Distribution
Old 30th December 2010, 22:54   #100
Senior - BHPian

are the new projector bulbs long lasting than 5000 hours? Also have the price for bulbs reduced?

any user inputs?
Old 31st December 2010, 00:14   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
97 inches, according to the ProjectorCentral's (award-winning) calculator.

Don't go for screens for such sizes, instead paint the wall. Screen Goo's very expensive (and you cant carry/send it via air AFAIK) but there are DIY resources available for mixing ordinary paints.

Screen Goo site:
Goo Systems Global Distribution
Any reason your suggesting no screen? I thought I would get one of those screens that is recessed into the ceiling and which rolls down automatically.
Old 31st December 2010, 09:42   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
are the new projector bulbs long lasting than 5000 hours? Also have the price for bulbs reduced?
any user inputs?
I think 5000 hours is more than reasonable.

Say you watch 5 movies a week. Take an average of 2hrs per movie. (Eng and Hindi timing mixed together)

Total usage would be around 530 hrs per year.

So a 5k hrs lamp would last 9+ years which is pretty fine.

Personally I don't think I will have the capacity to watch 5 movies a week continuously year after year.
Old 31st December 2010, 10:08   #103
BHPian

Thanks Guyz for inputs....
Yes, my house construction is going on, ceiling & walls for home theatre room is about to begin, so I'm at right phase to take inputs.

1. I'm not planning for a screen for projector - just hang the projector on the ceiling and let it throw the beam towards the wall. Regular white (or light yellow or so) painting will do for the wall or any special thing to take care?

2. I know the projectors only have HDMI and other inputs, so player will have to be placed on a shelf or something and HDMI & power cables must be routed to ceiling. Anything else?

3. Planning to provide provisions for 7.1 speakers, so when I setup home theatre by 2012 or later, I should have them available in market, any inputs on speakers provisioning? I don't really like creating box type hole inside wall, speaker size may differ later, etc. Thinking of artificial ceiling (one level of ceiling in wood or any material just below usual ceiling) to hold the projectors, etc - I'm yet to decide.

Last edited by sathya_nars : 31st December 2010 at 10:10.
Old 4th January 2011, 12:45   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guyz for inputs....
Yes, my house construction is going on, ceiling & walls for home theatre room is about to begin, so I'm at right phase to take inputs.

1. I'm not planning for a screen for projector - just hang the projector on the ceiling and let it throw the beam towards the wall. Regular white (or light yellow or so) painting will do for the wall or any special thing to take care?

I would suggest you going for a screen rather than painting the wall. A wall will not give you the same PQ as the screens. A 120" screen will cost you between 10k to 20k depending on motorized or manual.

2. I know the projectors only have HDMI and other inputs, so player will have to be placed on a shelf or something and HDMI & power cables must be routed to ceiling. Anything else?

Depends on the layout of you home theater room, is this a dedicated room for home theater? If yes, you will need to plan where the units are going to be places and ensure atleast a 3" conduits along the ceiling to carry the HDMI cables to the projector. Running the HDMI cables in the conduits in now would be ideal, you will not be able to run it once the construction is over since HDMI cannot be bent if you have joints in the conduit.

3. Planning to provide provisions for 7.1 speakers, so when I setup home theatre by 2012 or later, I should have them available in market, any inputs on speakers provisioning? I don't really like creating box type hole inside wall, speaker size may differ later, etc. Thinking of artificial ceiling (one level of ceiling in wood or any material just below usual ceiling) to hold the projectors, etc - I'm yet to decide.
You will need to again lay the conduits now for the speaker wirings, mark the areas where the speakers are going to be placed and lay the conduits. You will need separate power points for the sub, so ensure this is also completed. A 1 and 1/2" conduit should be sufficient for the speaker wires.

For the ceiling, I would suggest a gypsum based false ceiling instead of a wood. You need a poroject ceiling to be fixed now to the ceiling. A false ceiling cannot hold a projector mount, so fix it now.

Here are some pictures of my dedicated home theater build, hope this will give you some ideas.....

All the best,
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theatre Projector thread-101_1624.jpg  

The Home Theatre Projector thread-101_1626.jpg  

The Home Theatre Projector thread-101_1623.jpg  

The Home Theatre Projector thread-hi-fi-2.jpg  

The Home Theatre Projector thread-hi-fi-3.jpg  

The Home Theatre Projector thread-hi-fi.jpg  

Old 16th June 2011, 17:08   #105
HSV
BHPian

EPSON EH-DM3 Projector

I am very keen to buy this projector for my casual and portable home use. There are umpteen options available in the budget projectors segment. After a lot of thought I have shortlisted this projector (the Epson DM3). I need your expert views whether this is a good idea, and/or whether anyone who has used this product has faced any problems.

The best thing about this product is that its an All-in-one. Since it has a built in DVD player, USB with Divx playing, and 2 speakers of 10W each - it means one doesnt have to carry the laptop or any seperate DVD player or a set of speakers with it. I can easily take it on the terrace or in the garden for an open air movie night without having to carry the additional stuff.

There are conflicting views in the market, spoke to some projector sellers, and they said that Epson projectors generally give problems in the long run. they work well the first couple of months but then need constant repairs etc, more so this model since its an all-in-one. Guys is this correct or does it sound like the usual saleman mumbo jumbo in order to peddle his own products and not the one you actually want.

I am getting it for Rs 39000/- all incl with 2 yrs ONSITE warranty (90 days for the lamp).

Any comments/advise/views would be welcome.

Thanks & regards.

EDIT:
Sorry forgot to mention the basic specs:
2000/1000 lumens (5000 hrs/4000 hrs) E-TORL lamp
3000:1 contrast
540p native resolution (960x540)
hdmi (native 480p), built-in dvd, built-in DivX player, usb, A/V, component, mic for karaoke, d-sub pc port,
2 speakers 10w each (stereo)
F1.44 lens (meaning reasonable short throw, but no optical zoom)
vertical keystone

http://www.epson.co.in/epson_india/p...e=Epson_EH-DM3

Last edited by HSV : 16th June 2011 at 17:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks