Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2005, 10:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Actually I will moving near to the coast along NH17, driving will be fun. Of course, if you drive all the way to to my place, unlimited beer and snacks will be free.
hey, i'll repay u by throwing in all my audio expertise to set up your HT system in your new home. btw, did you get my thoughts on thx in your other thread on home theatre?
Old 21st November 2005, 10:22   #17
BHPian

okay - the dope on projectors...

the nec ht1100 for around 1.6L available at nec solutions @ 9820579407
or for the same price but a shade better
the optoma h57 available with soundsmiths @ 9820949395.

u can take the call of availability and service in your area after speaking to them...

cheers
Old 21st November 2005, 10:26   #18
BHPian

btw, the screenplay 4805 is not great - also it costs less than a lakh. and have no bones about this - if you want to enjoy a movie on a projector, a dark room is the only way. super bright projectors are not really meant to give you daylight viewing - they are actually meant for giving high dynamic contrasts whenever the need arises. but as usual, don't go by the specs except for choosing the basic aspects like resolution etc.
Old 21st November 2005, 10:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Actually I will moving near to the coast along NH17, driving will be fun. Of course, if you drive all the way to to my place, unlimited beer and snacks will be free.
Thanks for the Samurai, and yes I infest NH17 quite regularly so keep that beer chilled!
Old 21st November 2005, 10:34   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Thanks for the Samurai, and yes I infest NH17 quite regularly so keep that beer chilled!
No problem. The place is just 5Km off NH17, after April you are welcome to drop in anytime.
Old 21st November 2005, 10:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream
btw, the screenplay 4805 is not great - also it costs less than a lakh. and have no bones about this - if you want to enjoy a movie on a projector, a dark room is the only way. super bright projectors are not really meant to give you daylight viewing - they are actually meant for giving high dynamic contrasts whenever the need arises. but as usual, don't go by the specs except for choosing the basic aspects like resolution etc.
Man, you are breaking my heart. Only dark room viewing? How about low light viewing? I was hoping with higher lumens, I can at least get low light viewing.
Old 21st November 2005, 15:07   #22
Team-BHP Support

I am suddenly warming up towards DLP projection television. Samsung has some very good models.
Old 21st November 2005, 15:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

DLP projector will give you similar results, but you will have the flexibility of putting it anywhere. Infact the background may not be completely smooth, any wall, even with dimples will do.
Moreover you do not have to be in a dark room. They work perfectly in well lit rooms, as they automatically adjust image.
Old 21st November 2005, 15:36   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
They work perfectly in well lit rooms, as they automatically adjust image.
Are you saying DLP projectors work in well lit rooms? I don't think so. Are you confusing DLP projectors with DLP televisions?
Old 21st November 2005, 15:40   #25
Team-BHP Support

Not all DLP projectors, but many of the models work well in well lit rooms. DLP technology gives high contrast capibility. So a manufacturer can choose wether to make a projector which works in well lit rooms. the lower end ones do not do so well, because the main aim is to cut costs, but high end ones will work in rooms with the most projector unfriendly.
I am not saying this after seeing reviews, but based on personal expirience with many models(I used to work for the company which invented the technology).
Old 21st November 2005, 15:47   #26
Team-BHP Support

Correct me if I am wrong. It is my understanding that higher contrast ratio only helps in getting sharper images. Higher Lumens make for brigher images, to view the projector output in a well lit room, you need excess of 2000 effective lumens.
Old 21st November 2005, 16:09   #27
Team-BHP Support

Yes thats true, but the problem with having more lumes is that you also jack up the noise. So your image starts to appear fuzzy. The DLP chip allows the manufacturer to crank up the lumens, but earlier projectors had this limitation. With DLP you have a high "range"
Now a manufacturer may or may not choose to give a high power bulb, but with DLP he has the option to give it.
Old 21st November 2005, 21:41   #28
BHPian

btw, the dlp projectors and the rear projection tvs are more or less based on the same principle - so forget about getting any great quality from any projector - front or rear - in lit conditions
Old 21st November 2005, 22:46   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream
btw, the dlp projectors and the rear projection tvs are more or less based on the same principle - so forget about getting any great quality from any projector - front or rear - in lit conditions
I have to respectfully disagee. I don't know about the principle, but the effect is something else. In the fall of 2003 I ventured into Circuit city and was shocked to see a Samsung projection TV whose quality was mind blowing, it was like plasma, only bigger and brighter. That was my first encounter with a DLP projection TV. It was in a normally lit showroom floor, not even close to low light. BTW, I have never cared for projection TVs before that, because of their dull interlaced image. With DLP and progressive scan, the projection TVs now can compete with plasma and lcd televisions.
Old 21st November 2005, 23:00   #30
Team-BHP Support

@Samurai, if you are really interested in knowing how DLP manages such quality which was earlier not possible, read this up, http://www.dlp.com/Default.asp?DCMP=...e_p_dlp&bhcp=1
This has intro about how DLP works. If you are interested in even more technical stuff dig up the spec sheets etc.,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks