Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2013, 13:28   #14746
Distinguished - BHPian

The gsmarena review also is inclined towards the S4 in favour of the HTC one although only slightly. The looks of the HTC are surely more upmarket. Have to wait to check both out in person before taking a call. And then again there is always that slight inclination to jump on to the apple bandwagon.
Old 27th April 2013, 16:05   #14747
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
So in a nutshell, better of everything but nothing really that canvas hd or geonee dream cant do. that was the question really.

oh wait, there is an extra IR blaster in S4. Yes that justifies the 40k price.
I have a 4000 rs Android phone from Spice. it also promises to do all these tasks.
Therefore, I am not going to upgrade from it ever!! In fact, it doesn't look like anything in the market and it has a full metal body.

That is the beauty of Android. Each phone has the same core hardware features, sensors etc.
Use a cheaper phone and high end phone back to back, you will be able to measure the distance between land and heavens

Last edited by agambhandari : 27th April 2013 at 16:08.
Old 27th April 2013, 16:12   #14748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
So in a nutshell, better of everything but nothing really that canvas hd or geonee dream cant do. that was the question really.

oh wait, there is an extra IR blaster in S4. Yes that justifies the 40k price.
Look at the partial feature list I have provided none of these software features are there on canvas nor it is possible to run them on that with processing power available.
Old 27th April 2013, 19:42   #14749
Senior - BHPian

Second week of using OneX on factory ROM. A battery life update :

Name:  ForumRunner_20130427_194016.png
Views: 934
Size:  37.0 KB

More than 13hrs of battery life with heavy usage throughout, with mobile data /wifi full time on, some gps, browsing, hundreds of messages including pictures on whatsapp and moderate calls. This is slightly above my expectations from a quad core android with a 1800mah battery.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th April 2013 at 19:44.
Old 27th April 2013, 19:54   #14750
Team-BHP Support

Need some help to decide between Note2 and S4.

I was looking to get a Note 2 for my wife. But the S4 hit the stores today (here in Singapore). Being a new release, is the S4 really superior to the Note 2? Her usage is mainly on emails, internet and Facebook.

Thank you…!
Old 27th April 2013, 20:05   #14751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Need some help to decide between Note2 and S4.
All companies including Samsung want their users to upgrade to their next in line products and S4 is not any different. Between the two, S4 is slightly more compact while Note 2 is a boon if you want to use the S pen for taking 'notes' lolz. Both have its own plusses. I would rather still go with the Note 2.

If you want to see a real upgrade then that's the HTC One. Currently holding one in hand, US CDMA model, and programming it for Reliance. It's another class of phone all together to hold in hand from these Samsung's. Much more premium.

Disclaimer : I own a CDMA US variant of Note 2.
Old 27th April 2013, 20:26   #14752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
All companies including Samsung want their users to upgrade to their next in line products and S4 is not any different. Between the two, S4 is slightly more compact while Note 2 is a boon if you want to use the S pen for taking 'notes' lolz. Both have its own plusses. I would rather still go with the Note 2.

If you want to see a real upgrade then that's the HTC One. Currently holding one in hand, US CDMA model, and programming it for Reliance. It's another class of phone all together to hold in hand from these Samsung's. Much more premium.

Disclaimer : I own a CDMA US variant of Note 2.
Thanks for the quick response. My wife is moving from the iPhone 5, and she liked the Note 2 mainly because of the large screen area. Maybe we will fix on it then.

Yes, if I am buying for myself, I probably would have gone with the HTC One. Checked it out last week and liked the overall feel of the phone. And I quite like HTC’s overall build (have used the old HTC HD7 WP).
Old 28th April 2013, 01:59   #14753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post

A graduation from Note 2 to Grand? I think your friend didn't do his homework while selecting the Note 2 then. Note series is definitely for people who like and want the big screen and the S-Pen experience. For anyone who is not intended to use these features, IMO Note is an overkill!.
Funny how people come to conclusions without even understanding the basic argument one is making. Not referring to you but the user above who is "ROLFing".

You are one of the very few who actually is using the features of the Note 2. I see several people around me buying high end phones but still using the basic features. And yes, he bought the Note when he was overseas as he got a good deal. Circumstances required of him to buy a new phone now, and he got the Grand. He expected to be disappointed, however the phone fulfils all his requirements. Clearly he didn't do a perfect analysis earlier and just went for the wow-factor

Wrt the S-Pen, on a daily basis how frequently do you use it?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th April 2013 at 02:03.
Old 28th April 2013, 08:31   #14754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Wrt the S-Pen, on a daily basis how frequently do you use it?
It's my one single companion during meetings, call conferences etc. And I do at least 2-3 of them on a normal working day. I like scribbling notes on it and by the time am back on my desk, I have all my notes synced to my workstation! So, for me if I consider switching to a Grand, I can't stop blaming myself for a bad decision. Believe me, I get to do hands on on several mobile devices daily due to the BYOD strategy of my work.

That buying a mobile device just for the bling factor is not at all the right strategy. I don't bother about brands. Get me a device which can replace my Note 2 (both software and hardware) and which is cheaper and with a better of similar screen/battery and I am 100% ready to swap it!

I have also seen people saying often here that software features shouldn't be considered while comparing devices. Why so? The price we are paying is for hardware, software and after sales service. And all these are equally important.
For e.g. the "Smart Stay" feature was one which I considered as a cheap marketing gimmick when Samsung came up with it. But I was surprised when it worked flawlessly on my Note 2. I use it very often when reading online contents like Flipboard, Google currents etc. And I do get long long e-mails and the feature is such a boon. And the "Air View" is a real advantage when you have several big albums in your gallery.
I don't care if its implemented in hardware or software as long as it serves my purpose.

After 4 months on Note 2, now I am not thinking of a device without an S-Pen or similar and smart stay. If a cheaper android whether its Grand or MMX or any other unknown brand can add an S-Pen after buying it, I am in 100% And I don't think its possible even if I pay the amount I saved
Old 28th April 2013, 13:12   #14755
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

The whole discussion is going wayward I feel. Let's leave it at "To each his own" and move on.

Just now, I watched a review of LG Optimus G PRO, which is direct competitor to the Note 2. Screen is much better than Note 2 (441 ppi), sans the stylus. But people in India have made a perception about LG phones and LG will have tough time breaking out of that. Priced at 35k, is an awesome choice for 5.5 inches phablet, unless stylus is a deal breaker.
Old 28th April 2013, 13:25   #14756
BHPian

Been a basic phone user although i was part of the launch team of mobile telephony. Been using a mobile since 1998. Never was a gadget freak. Out of sheer curiosity bought a samsung s3 mini . I must say im enjoying it. Adding apps daily , i realise i missed out on a lot of fun
Old 28th April 2013, 17:12   #14757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Got the Note 2 today for wifey. Quite an interesting handset! Even though plastic, I liked the overall fit and finish. Need to see how she gets accustomed to the new OS experience (after being through all the variants of iphone – 3Gs to 5).

Got the recently launched Amber Brown colour.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-galaxy-note-2.jpg
Old 28th April 2013, 18:43   #14758
Senior - BHPian

Got another grand yesterday, Earlier got one 20 days back. The cash back and 12 months EMI scheme is so tempting. I really love this device, apart from poor resolution screen ( which is not a big deal, At least to me ) i can't find anything wrong with this device, For the price i am getting one, Its damn VFM.
Old 28th April 2013, 19:10   #14759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Got the Note 2 today.

Got the recently launched Amber Brown colour.
Congrats. Nice colour. Now enjoy cutting edge technology, great screen, best in class voice clarity and speaker, and the humungous battery. Mine easily lasts 2 days with moderate usage which never happened with any smartphone of the recent era.

I just hate one thing with Samsung in India. They miss out on the LTE (4G) radios in all of their top end phones in India unlike the US models, which big brother Reliance (Mukesh group) is launching shortly in India. They have also skipped the same in the Indian S4. They should make their phones future proof. Another way to force you to upgrade some months down the line...
Old 29th April 2013, 09:06   #14760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Dear BHPians,

The whole discussion is going wayward I feel. Let's leave it at "To each his own" and move on.

Just now, I watched a review of LG Optimus G PRO, which is direct competitor to the Note 2. Screen is much better than Note 2 (441 ppi), sans the stylus. But people in India have made a perception about LG phones and LG will have tough time breaking out of that. Priced at 35k, is an awesome choice for 5.5 inches phablet, unless stylus is a deal breaker.
This one seems to be a great alternate for Note 2. Awesome specs for the price and feels handy also! They could've added a stylus to make it a complete package, bad decision there IMO

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 29th April 2013 at 09:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks