Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2011, 22:01   #1426
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Ah, my bad. Yes, the ear-piece is also good and it's loud enough. Never had problems with that.

Not only that, for 4k you get the following features extra as compared to the Desire:

4.3" Screen (v/s 3.7" screen)
768MB RAM (v/s 512MB RAM)
8GB card included (v/s 4GB)
720p HD Video Recording
8mp Camera (v/s 5mp cam)
Dolby Mobile and SRS virtual surround sound
DLNA
Dual LED Flash
In my opinion its really worth paying those 4k extra for desire HD. Ofcourse if you have the budget and the need for a screen that big. Personally I feel a smartphone should have a screen of 4 inches to really do justice to all its cool features.

Quote:
Yeap, I have the following settings enabled and it lasts from 7am - 10pm and still 20-30% battery life remains :

Accelerometer off.
3G off.
Wi-fi off unless in use.
Brightness 20%
Bluetooth and GPS off unless needed.
Do you listen to any music during the whole day(say approx 30 minutes)? Also at the brightness level of 20% how good is the screen outdoors? Overall how will you rate your device in terms of the shape (find the camera placement a little odd), screen and overall experience?
Old 16th January 2011, 22:27   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Do you listen to any music during the whole day(say approx 30 minutes)? Also at the brightness level of 20% how good is the screen outdoors? Overall how will you rate your device in terms of the shape (find the camera placement a little odd), screen and overall experience?
Basically, this phone is used by dad, so generally no music. Typical usage is 6-10 SMS, 20-40 minutes (or maybe more) calling, emails for 1 hour, browsing the internet for 30 minutes and occasionally watching an episode of Top Gear or some movie. Oh yes, Facebook updates are on throughout the day via Friends feed. Brightness of 20% is adequate when used indoors and has problems during direct sunlight when I increase the brightness to 60%. Actually, there is some app via which you can control all that from the home screen itself in 1 tap.

Shape - I have some problems in accessing the volume buttons on the side because they are very thin. Yes, camera placement is a bit odd but you get used to it.

Screen - The main problem with the screen is that it's a fingerprint magnet, so if you tap it a bit harder, you can see a trail of your fingerprint. Also, till now, there is no screen protector in this size, so I might have to wait for another couple of weeks to get that. Saying that, the glass is Gorilla glass which is supposedly unbreakable.

Overall experience - Great.
Old 16th January 2011, 23:34   #1428
Distinguished - BHPian

God its so confusing to choose a phone also these days LOL. Guys help out choosing between HTC Desire HD and the Google Nexus S.
Thanks for the replies prateekm.
Old 17th January 2011, 02:56   #1429
BHPian

^^ nexus s - its google's official phone and you are guaranteed updates as soon as google releases them - this was true for nexus one. The HTC Desire HD although better than competitors from an updates point of view (htc pro-activeness and xda-developers), can never equal a google phone in getting latest updates.
Also feature wise, nexus S is newer hardware and is already running 2.3 at the moment. AFAIK There are no other phones (including nexus one) running stock 2.3 at the moment.
Old 17th January 2011, 11:42   #1430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not only that, for 4k you get the following features extra as compared to the Desire:

4.3" Screen (v/s 3.7" screen)
768MB RAM (v/s 512MB RAM)
8GB card included (v/s 4GB)
720p HD Video Recording
8mp Camera (v/s 5mp cam)
Dolby Mobile and SRS virtual surround sound
DLNA
Dual LED Flash
Thanks. I think 720p video is possible in Desire too, with Android 2.2. I want the phone to be as compact as possible so I can live with 3.7 S-LCD screen, and the rest aren't much important to me (4GB Vs 8GB, 5MP Vs 8MP which hardly makes any difference, sound system - I seldom listen to music from phone). Only hit will be the RAM then. 512 Vs 768 MB.

Still going with Desire.. going to order, guys any last minute pointers on why I should NOT take the plunge?
Old 17th January 2011, 11:54   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Still going with Desire.. going to order, guys any last minute pointers on why I should NOT take the plunge?
Good choice. Where are you ordering it from? Flipkart?
Old 17th January 2011, 12:47   #1432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Good choice. Where are you ordering it from? Flipkart?
Yes hiren. Flipkart. Now when I was just about to order, internet in my office went down.. waiting for it to be up
Old 17th January 2011, 13:59   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
God its so confusing to choose a phone also these days LOL. Guys help out choosing between HTC Desire HD and the Google Nexus S.
Thanks for the replies prateekm.
Nexus- S no two doubts about it , do I need to elaborate why ?
Old 17th January 2011, 14:13   #1434
Team-BHP Support

An interesting and unheard of take on why the Samsung 2.2 update hasn't happened yet!! (in the USA)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913045

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th January 2011 at 14:19.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:19   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Nexus- S no two doubts about it , do I need to elaborate why ?
Here's the comparison.

Just a basic question, pardon my lack of knowledge in Android world..
When they say 2.1 and upgradeable to 2.2, what does it really mean? What makes it impossible or difficult to upgrade again to 2.3?
Old 18th January 2011, 13:12   #1436
BHPian

Finally a dual SIM ANDROID.

Dual SIM Motorola Glam launching in India next week? | AndroidOS.in
Old 18th January 2011, 13:46   #1437
Senior - BHPian

I am new to Android world and have no idea about its pros and cons.

I am looking for a phone within 10K, (can be stretched by 2-3K or more if its really worth).

I need a phone with excellent battery backup, good contacts (and easy to backup), easy to recharge and a GPS. Any other features beyond this are not necessary as I don't use them.

What are the Android advantages for such a user profile? Can anyone suggest a phone?
Old 18th January 2011, 14:05   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
An interesting and unheard of take on why the Samsung 2.2 update hasn't happened yet!! (in the USA)

The Samsung Secret - Why U.S. Galaxy S Phones run Android 2.1 Still - xda-developers

cya
R
Amusing for me , Most people on that board thinks since Froyo Code is Open Source it is kind of cheating. If this news is true it is actually US carriers business model to blame they come up with long list of requirements ranging from logos / splash screens to dedicated apps which makes new firmware availability for their subsidized phones an expensive affair.

Secondly these people are not Samsung direct customers , they are actually customers of AT&T , verizon and other operators who get phones of 10$ and 2 year contract. These operators sign contracts with Samsung or any other manufacturer who can provide them cheap phones.
Now suppose if Samsung is making updates available to direct customers in India who pay full money it does not automaticaly give right to the customers of AT&T and others to expect the same. They should throw the bile on the US carrier who hoodwinked them because they did not consider the possibility of a major update.

The Galaxy-S in US is not the same Galaxy-S which we see here in open market , It has a different brand-name for each operator with deep customizations as per operator needs.
I think no operator there would agree if Samsung is to flash their locked in and subsidized phones with a generic Galaxy-S froyo Image.

Last edited by amitk26 : 18th January 2011 at 14:15.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:08   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Here's the comparison.

Just a basic question, pardon my lack of knowledge in Android world..
When they say 2.1 and upgradeable to 2.2, what does it really mean? What makes it impossible or difficult to upgrade again to 2.3?
Well I would say this is meaningless comparison as it compares hardware only. One does not buy Android for LCD size or MP or some such thing alone.

When someone says about up-gradability it actually means that they have earmarked a road-map to spend enough $$ on R&D to keep on releasing firmware for X period of time. And precisely this is the reason Nexus-S should be brought over any other phone.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:19   #1440
BHPian

The Nexus S and Desire do not have HD video recording capabilities. Desire HD does have it, so its worth the upgrade from Desire in addition to the other features. But why has Samsung left out HD recording in Nexus S which is succeeding the Galaxy S? The Galaxy S didn't have a camera flash which is corrected in the Nexus S. Some weird thinking on Samsung's part here. They make sure that one feature is always left out.

Quote:
In my opinion its really worth paying those 4k extra for desire HD. Ofcourse if you have the budget and the need for a screen that big. Personally I feel a smartphone should have a screen of 4 inches to really do justice to all its cool features.

Only if they had provided a better battery in the Desire HD, it would have made sense. With the bigger 4.3" screen and normal LCD display, HTC have provided a 1230 mAh battery in the HD which is disappointing. The Desire has a 1400 mAh battery. Can't understand HTC's logic here.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th January 2011 at 15:50. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks