Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 11:13   #12556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hmm interesting, My HTC has what they call as Super LCD & in most cases it looked better than the SAMOLED on the original Galaxy. I need to see these displays side by side to take the call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
I own a S3 myself and I see nothing wrong with the display.It is very good.You will be fine with the S3 display as long as you don't compare it with the One X or the Nexus 4.Sammy's displays have lost the edge they had when compared to the previous generation LCD displays.
Super LCD displays were awesome, compared to old AMOLED displays with that stupid pen-tile layout. I have used both S-LCD and S-AMOLED. S-LCD has the edge in all respects except the contrast ratio. In total darkness, the whole screen is really lit up even in the dark areas whereas in AMOLED, black is true black, almost 99%. (In newer S-AMOLED displays by samsung, black is no longer true black - it is said that the leakage current becomes predominant with increased pixel density and you can see most of the pixels emitting a small amount of light which can only be noticed in pure darkness)

I hate my Galaxy Nexus's S-AMOLED display - it always have a green tint and the colors displayed are really oversaturated. I hate to view photographs in that compared to my Nexus 7's display. S3, as I heard, has a better calibrated S-AMOLED but it is still pen-tile layout.

S-AMOLED has to die!

Last edited by clevermax : 15th November 2012 at 11:14.
Old 15th November 2012, 12:05   #12557
Senior - BHPian

Got Android 4.2 finally. Checked photosphere first. Not too impressive on my first run. Maybe need to monitor the learning curve.

My teambhp app is asking for login every time I come out and enter it again. Anyone facing this issue on 4.2.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 15th November 2012 at 12:18.
Old 15th November 2012, 12:37   #12558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Got Android 4.2 finally. Checked photosphere first. Not too impressive on my first run. Maybe need to monitor the learning curve.

My teambhp app is asking for login every time I come out and enter it again. Anyone facing this issue on 4.2.
Bro,

How is the performance ? Is it laggy compared to 4.1.2 ? what else is new ?
Old 15th November 2012, 12:45   #12559
Senior - BHPian

finally suited, booted and rooted my HTC Sensation. Am on AOKP Jelly Bean now. Enjoying the Senseless experience Bye bye HTC.

now Anybody knows how to take screeshots?
Old 15th November 2012, 13:05   #12560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

Bro,

How is the performance ? Is it laggy compared to 4.1.2 ? what else is new ?
I am feeling a slight lag. Just checking whether all the apps are working. Trying to attach photoshpere sample but not able to.
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2012, 13:11   #12561
BHPian

For me 4.2 brought along a set of issues...
- Firstly, the phone is less responsive than before. There is noticeable lag. Especially when powering off the screen, there is a significant delay between the button press and the screen actually turning off. I get confused and end up doing multiple presses thus getting the screen to turn on again. Quite annoying.
- Next, I found that the email and exchange services apps were crazily draining my battery. I was losing around 10% in 15 minutes. I deleted my account, cleared the cache and data for both and then re-configured my account. Things seem stable for now and I hope it stays this way.
- The third issue is pretty minor and its just a matter of time before an update is out - MX Player does not work. I get a 'Unsupported Android Version' error.

I guess Ill try a factory reset over the weekend and see if things improve.
Old 15th November 2012, 13:33   #12562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
- Firstly, the phone is less responsive than before. There is noticeable lag. Especially when powering off the screen, there is a significant delay between the button press and the screen actually turning off. I get confused and end up doing multiple presses thus getting the screen to turn on again. Quite annoying.
- Next, I found that the email and exchange services apps were crazily draining my battery. I was losing around 10% in 15 minutes. I deleted my account, cleared the cache and data for both and then re-configured my account. Things seem stable for now and I hope it stays this way.
- The third issue is pretty minor and its just a matter of time before an update is out - MX Player does not work. I get a 'Unsupported Android Version' error.

How is the email app compared to the previous versions?
Is it better?
I am using my phone for exchange email.
Old 15th November 2012, 13:37   #12563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
GSM - 2G Only
WCDMA/GSM - 3G Preferred if both 3G and 2G networks available
WCDMA - 3G Only
Okay thanks. So if I get a 2G internet plan then it would work on the GSM mode right?

btw guys I still can't figure out how to take a screenshot on my Tipo. Need help on this. The Power button+Volume down button doesn't work and I can't find any good app in the Play Store. Most of them require rooted phones.
Old 15th November 2012, 13:44   #12564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Okay thanks. So if I get a 2G internet plan then it would work on the GSM mode right?
Yes, of course. You are good to go with GSM. Screenshot methods depend on individual ROM's. So any Tipo user can easily help you out
Old 15th November 2012, 14:27   #12565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
How is the email app compared to the previous versions?
Is it better?
I am using my phone for exchange email.
The email app is unchanged. Same as 4.1.2.
Old 15th November 2012, 14:28   #12566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

4.2 on my Nexus 7 so far -

- No lags
- Dolphin browser crashing all the time
- Nova launcher and Apex launcher has frozen dock panels
- Stock laucher feels more smoother
- MX player doesn't work - unsupported version

I am yet to find more surprises.
Old 15th November 2012, 14:54   #12567
Senior - BHPian

4.2 - The butter smoothness is gone. Apps takes time to load (a wee bit more). and the TBHP App is making me go crazy. I need to login every time i launch it. Phone took a longer time to get charged, not sure if this update drains more battery.

How to get rid of the multiple lock screens. I swipe and it goes into camera mode.
Old 15th November 2012, 16:26   #12568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
How to get rid of the multiple lock screens. I swipe and it goes into camera mode.
That unfortunately is the behavior. Swipe left and the phone goes into camera mode. Swipe right and you get the lock screen config page where you can add widgets and additional lock screens. There is no way to get the old single lock screen back.
Old 15th November 2012, 16:35   #12569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That unfortunately is the behavior. Swipe left and the phone goes into camera mode. Swipe right and you get the lock screen config page where you can add widgets and additional lock screens. There is no way to get the old single lock screen back.
If someone wants to go back to 4.1.2. can it be done easily without any flashing / rooting etc. I might just observe for a few more days with 4.2.

I am even finding the connectivity being a bit slower than before. I am using whatsapp, opera and the espn cricinfo app and finding that it takes more time with opera and the espn app.
Old 15th November 2012, 19:23   #12570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
I own a S3 myself and I see nothing wrong with the display.It is very good.You will be fine with the S3 display as long as you don't compare it with the One X or the Nexus 4.Sammy's displays have lost the edge they had when compared to the previous generation LCD displays.

HTC One X and the upcoming HTC DNA have the best displays in the market with the Nexus 4 coming a close second.Now I'm talking purely in terms of accurate colour reproduction.
Thanks, my carrier has HTC One S which is really poor in specs & yes from whatever I have seen, i find the S3 screen good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Super LCD displays were awesome, compared to old AMOLED displays with that stupid pen-tile layout. I have used both S-LCD and S-AMOLED. S-LCD has the edge in all respects except the contrast ratio. I hate to view photographs in that compared to my Nexus 7's display. S3, as I heard, has a better calibrated S-AMOLED but it is still pen-tile layout.

S-AMOLED has to die!
Looks like they have done away with the Pen-tile in Note 2.

In the meanwhile, Note 2 is definitely out due to its Ginormous size(Sigh). Nexus 4 is sold out & S3 seems to be the only good option out there for me as I continuously get impatient withe the upgrade bug

Btw has anyone observed the Dolphin browser to deteriorate over last few updates, watching videos has become somewhat painful compared to before?

Also, a request to all those who are posting about OS upgrades, it would be great if you also mention device name in your post for folks who are not very regular on this thread to know what device you have. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks