Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 13:13   #12436
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Galaxy S3 is available for 30,900 (34,900 - 4,000 (DIWALIOFFER)) on Indiatimes shopping.

Here is the link: http://shopping.indiatimes.com/mobil...aign=Affiliate

Anybody got any experience of Indiatimes Shopping?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 12th November 2012, 13:23   #12437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
Hi Siddy

I'm seriously considering this phone for my wife. Currently she's on her few year old Sony Walkman W8XX & now its time for her to update.

Did you get ICS upgrade? How is the camera pic quality?
Have you tried video calling ?

Hey vigneshnr,

Go for this phone and you wont regret your decision!
About the ICS upgrade, I am happy with gingerbread, its definitely more stable than ICS and less buggy too.
Camera picture quality is good (the front camera is satisfactory) also there is no zoom function while clicking pictures, but this really does not make any difference as the rear camera is damn good & you can click a picture and then zoom in. I do a lot of video calling & the experience is pretty good.

Samsung is definitely more reliable than the competition. Overall a nice package.

Last edited by Siddy : 12th November 2012 at 13:49.
Old 12th November 2012, 13:25   #12438
BHPian

Looking to buy my first Android device. Budget appx. 20k. Was looking at Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3100).

With a voice call feature, I am planning to use it as my primary mobile device (preferably using bluetooth) + web browsing, watching movies, playing games, reading ebooks, etc. A 7 inch screen seems perfect size.

Would you guys recommend it? Any cons/downside of Tab 2 ??

Tab 2 has been around for about 6 month now. Any chances Samsung may bring out a newer version of the same? Don't want to be stuck with an old version of the device if a new one is planned to launch in a month or two.
Old 12th November 2012, 13:35   #12439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Looking to buy my first Android device. Budget appx. 20k. Was looking at Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3100).

With a voice call feature, I am planning to use it as my primary mobile device (preferably using bluetooth) + web browsing, watching movies, playing games, reading ebooks, etc. A 7 inch screen seems perfect size.

Tab 2 has been around for about 6 month now. Any chances Samsung may bring out a newer version of the same? Don't want to be stuck with an old version of the device if a new one is planned to launch in a month or two.
Tab2 is not a device worth buying. Mediocre screen. Do you seriously want to use this as a primary phone ? It is huge. You should look at NOTE or NOTE 2, if you are looking at big screen phones.

Last edited by F150 : 12th November 2012 at 13:37.
Old 12th November 2012, 13:42   #12440
BHPian

Quote:

Hey racingmachine,

My wifey has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3100) and here are a few things that I noticed in this tab:

Pros:
1. Huge display and very appealing UI
2. Connect to Wifi and you seriously won't use your lappy
3. Samsung reliability

Cons:
1. Battery life is poor
2. The phone lags a little, at times.

Use a bluetooth device for calling or answering on this tab, putting the whole thing to your ear looks damn funny & is not practical! I am not really sure about any forthcoming newer versions.
Hope this information helps, overall a good tab.
Old 12th November 2012, 13:59   #12441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Count me in as well! Bought it for Rs 9,700/- from the street yesterday. It is my first Android Phone, and +first Dual SIM
Is this dual active or dual standby?
Old 12th November 2012, 13:59   #12442
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend a Tab 2 be used as a phone. IMO, it's awkward.

Give the Note 2 a serious look although it will extend your budget. The note 2 has a 5.5" display which is marginally bigger than the old note's.

And ever since the Note 2 came home, my personal laptop has been "sleep"-ing.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:17   #12443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l
hey guys,

just bought the Galaxy S Duos for my wife and was trying to understand how can one move the apps to SD card ? The internal memory shows 1.7GB and i purchased an 8GB Micro SD card just so that the internal memory remains as much free as possible.

Earlier she used LG P500 where it was quite easy to move the apps from phone memory to SD card but seems like they have done some major changes in ICS to avoid that.

Any help ?
App2sd will move most downloaded apps. If your phone is rooted, then link2sd will move/remove even the system apps.
Old 12th November 2012, 15:51   #12444
BHPian

Looks like Samsung is rolling out JB to S3 in India. Source http://in.androidauthority.com/andro...in-india-5415/

I wonder when we poor Note users are going to get the JB update.
Old 12th November 2012, 15:53   #12445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Is this dual active or dual standby?
Dual standby. If you're on a call, the other sim will show up as out of service/switched off/not reachable.
Old 12th November 2012, 17:04   #12446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Hey vigneshnr,

Go for this phone (Galaxy s advance)and you wont regret your decision!
About the ICS upgrade, I am happy with gingerbread, its definitely more stable than ICS and less buggy too.
Camera picture quality is good (the front camera is satisfactory) also there is no zoom function while clicking pictures, but this really does not make any difference as the rear camera is damn good & you can click a picture and then zoom in. I do a lot of video calling & the experience is pretty good.

Samsung is definitely more reliable than the competition. Overall a nice package.
Thanks.
I agree to your point on Ginger Bread. Mine is GNote - I think it crashes a bit now with ICS compared to the times I had GB.
'No Zoom' - This is a 'wonder' feature in any mobile camera. A potential deal breaker as she is bit particular about this.

Front camera is ESSENTIAL. So The final round is amidst - Samsung's Galaxy S Advance, S2 and Sony's Xperia P. It gets really difficult to choose in mid range - As you can see the list increasingly confusing.

Any opinion on Galaxy S DUOS ?

Last edited by vigneshnr : 12th November 2012 at 17:05.
Old 12th November 2012, 18:35   #12447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Galaxy S3 is available for 30,900 (34,900 - 4,000 (DIWALIOFFER)) on Indiatimes shopping.

Cheers!
Irish
I did buy a book and a home appliance early this year. The service was good since the items arrived on 3rd day and they were supposed to come in 7 days! Since no issues so never had an opportunity to contact customer service for them.

On a previous occasion, I believe mid last year, I had to cancel my order which I did easily on the website itself since the order didn't ship till that time. So my experiences with Indiatimes have been fine till date.
Old 12th November 2012, 20:22   #12448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post

Cheers!
Irish
Indiatimes has had a pretty bad reputation. Of late they seem to have improved though. Personally, I may be inclined to buy small value products from them if the prices are attractive enough. Don't think I'd have the confidence to buy an item of the value of an S3 from them. But then if the price is appreciably lower than anywhere else, you may want to take the risk. If your luck is bad you may have to do a lot of chasing and fighting to get your phone/money. That is assuming you get a working phone is a company sealed box. If not then...

In short, I'd suggest buying ONLY if the price is appreciably lower than anywhere else and you are ready to take some risk to save money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Hey vigneshnr,

Go for this phone and you wont regret your decision!

A lot of people, esp. Sony users have gone back to GB after experiencing Sony's crappy and buggy updates. However, after using both, I'd never want to go back to GB. GB is quite a significant compromise compared to ICS, even though the former is often snappier and less buggier on some/many phones, thanks to mediocre updates from the phone manufacturer. If a phone does not have ICS that performs well, and/or does not have good support for custom ROMs, then I'd most likely not want to spend my money it.

Last edited by Raccoon : 12th November 2012 at 20:25.
Old 12th November 2012, 20:36   #12449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
If you ask me, I would steer clear from buying an international version S3 from the US, just for the sake of warranty. But if you still want to go ahead, amazon, newegg, expansys etc. will all be good options. Choose one which will be least cost+shipping.

How long is your friend going to be there? If its another month or so, I would still suggest getting a Nexus 4. Heck, ask him to get two - I will get the extra one from you!!!
There are quite a few who travel frequently, so I have no time constraints. Nexus will be launched morrow. Will keenly follow the reviews before I decide. I feel the S3 is over priced and over hyped, its more or less out of consideration.
Old 13th November 2012, 00:14   #12450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
There are quite a few who travel frequently, so I have no time constraints. Nexus will be launched morrow. Will keenly follow the reviews before I decide. I feel the S3 is over priced and over hyped, its more or less out of consideration.
Do keep in Mind that the S3 in US is a dual core phone unlike the quad-core one available in India.

I am contemplating between S3 & nexus 4 as well. On Paper there are two Negatives with Nexus for me

1) No memory slot
2) The Effective screen size is not 4.6 which the specs show, its smaller because of the onscreen hot keys, need to find out what is the exact usable screen size & also how it effects the actual screen size ratio

Otherwise the Nexus 4 makes a lot of sense, specially from a Price standpoint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks