Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 11:03   #12301
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Try Ray Dialer, that should work fine.

Maybe, people do not use a phone as "phone" that much I bought S3 and did not put a SIM for 5 weeks, it was useful by itself as a PDA.
I installed Ray Dialer. But still the same issue. What happens is when i open the dialer and dial the number, i see the default dial screen. When i enter the conf code, the old dialer itself is seen. Do i need to replace the default phone.apk with any other one because the default dialer is being picked up whenever i make a call, irrespective of the dialer used!

I agree with you. Its only now that i am really using my 'phone' as a phone!
Old 6th November 2012, 12:06   #12302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I have the micromax a110 and its a lovely phone, couple of problems though: camera quality isn't great especially in low light, and some apps such as the compass don't work, but hey excellent value for money. Surprisingly fast, great looking n awesome touch screen. Would gladly recommend it.
I'm considering the A110 as a replacement for my Samsung S1(i9000). The specs are pretty good and should be sufficient for what I would do with it. How has the battery back up been for you ? Any information about their after sales would also help. Thank you.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:16   #12303
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking for an Android phone with following requirement:

1. Dual SIM capability (as I travel often b/w 2 circles)
2. GPS maps for in-car navigation
3. Video conferencing on Wifi (3G will be bonus). Do we have any app similar to Facetime
4. Facebook and Twitter
5. Ability to view videos via Youtube

In order of importance.

I do not want to invest in 35K+ phones ... max budget is 20K if the device is right.

I could find these phones:

1. Micromax A110
2. Micromax A90S
3. Samsung DUOS

Appreciate the reviews and suggestions. Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 12:28   #12304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I'm considering the A110 as a replacement for my Samsung S1(i9000). The specs are pretty good and should be sufficient for what I would do with it. How has the battery back up been for you ? Any information about their after sales would also help. Thank you.
The battery is a 2000 mAH battery, takes a while to charge, but lasts pretty long. To give you an idea, I listen to the FM radio on speaker phone for the whole day, i.e. for about 9 hours and then surf the web via wi fi for an hour, read an ebook on kindle for about an hour daily, before I need to charge the battery. (I don't use it for phone calls yet) So, I'm sure its pretty good for normal usage.

I have'nt had any opportunity to test the after sales and service, since its a new phone and there's no problem as yet, so can't comment about that.

Hope that helps, lemme know if you have any specific queries.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:36   #12305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Hi,

3. Video conferencing on Wifi (3G will be bonus). Do we have any app similar to Facetime
4. Facebook and Twitter

In order of importance.

I do not want to invest in 35K+ phones ... max budget is 20K if the device is right.
Mmx A110 has:
1. Dual sim capability works great, (Only one SIM active during a call though)
2. GPS Maps work great, after all its google maps.
3. Not sure if this works, have'nt tried it yet, dont event know any apps like facetime, will check and let you know shortly.
4. Facebook works great, again its a app on the android playstore, so works just like on any other android device. 5 inch screen makes it easier.
5. Youtube videos work great, no lag or buffering

Hope this helps. You might also want to check the new Lenovo smartphone, S880. http://www.lenovo.com/images/product...27Sept2012.pdf
Its only 18990 MRP, so within your 20k budget.

Last edited by Lalvaz : 6th November 2012 at 12:38.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:43   #12306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
The battery is a 2000 mAH battery, takes a while to charge, but lasts pretty long. To give you an idea, I listen to the FM radio on speaker phone for the whole day, i.e. for about 9 hours and then surf the web via wi fi for an hour, read an ebook on kindle for about an hour daily, before I need to charge the battery. (I don't use it for phone calls yet) So, I'm sure its pretty good for normal usage.

I have'nt had any opportunity to test the after sales and service, since its a new phone and there's no problem as yet, so can't comment about that.

Hope that helps, lemme know if you have any specific queries.
That did help. Thank you. I hope their service is good because googling "micromax after sales service" doesn't really help.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:55   #12307
Senior - BHPian

Anybody got any experience with Lenovo Phones ?
Old 6th November 2012, 13:04   #12308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
default dialer is being picked up whenever i make a call, irrespective of the dialer used!
Not sure about this. CM10 forums might be helpful in finding out how to replace stock dialer.

Quote:
Google maps and Sygic now work fine for in-car navigation. Just that A100/ A110 and other phones with S1 chipset would take slightly longer to lock on satellites. But it should not matter too much.

Quote:
This works fine with Skype and other Video Conferencing/Chat apps.

Quote:
4. Facebook and Twitter
These are part of standard functionality.

Overall, almost any dual sim phone can provide these. But speed/ ease of use would depend on how CPU+RAM+Battery combination on the phone.
Old 6th November 2012, 13:06   #12309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Do i need to replace the default phone.apk with any other one because the default dialer is being picked up whenever i make a call, irrespective of the dialer used!
Don't replace the phone.apk or at least read up before you do that. I had to flash again to get the "phone" functionality back when I tried this.

Also did you try to clear data for the Call Settings/Phone/Dialer App? It should prompt for the application the next time you try to call.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:12   #12310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Don't replace the phone.apk or at least read up before you do that. I had to flash again to get the "phone" functionality back when I tried this.

Also did you try to clear data for the Call Settings/Phone/Dialer App? It should prompt for the application the next time you try to call.
I removed the 'phone from titanium back up to use Ray dialer. But the phone kept giving me pop-up messages about some error etc. So i reflashed CM10 (thankfully, i had it in the phone!)
I cleared the Call settings. I got a prompt to select a different dialer but when the call launches, the default dialer is seen. Seems like there is a default set in CM10. Need to find out if we can remove the phone.apk from system directory and replace it with another phone.apk. Will search on CM10 forums.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:37   #12311
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, how is the google nexus s CDMA?
or how was?
I am planning to use one as a secondary handset.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:40   #12312
Team-BHP Support

ebay.in has the Nexus 4 up for pre order at Rs.23,490 for 8GB. 16GB is 27,490.

http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones...s-23490/560312
Old 6th November 2012, 15:47   #12313
BHPian

Lalvaz and Netfreak - thanks for the replies ... dont get any thanks button in your post :-).
Old 6th November 2012, 16:10   #12314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I just got the Micromax A110 on Sunday. So far, it has been really, really good. Battery life has been a whopping 28 hrs - I put it on for charge only once it reached 9%.

I have not heard rosy stories of Micromax after sales service . I am hoping I never have to give it for service for atleast a year.

Quote:
Hi,

4. Facebook and Twitter
Guess people have answered this already. Will just provide additional inputs.

3. Video calls work fine. Though the front-facing camera is only 0.3 mp - if you need higher resolution, this will work against for you.
5. Youtube streams without any issues and you can jump to a section without any lag.
Old 6th November 2012, 16:36   #12315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I just got the Micromax A110 on Sunday. So far, it has been really, really good. Battery life has been a whopping 28 hrs - I put it on for charge only once it reached 9%.

I have not heard rosy stories of Micromax after sales service . I am hoping I never have to give it for service for atleast a year.
Thank you. From the reviews, Micromax appears to have improved a lot. It would give them that much needed extra push if they had showrooms dedicated to their products along with the channels they now operate through.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks