Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2012, 00:06   #11221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle

The gallery looks way better now. I might go back to touchwiz after upgrading. Presently using Apex launcher. You used PC ODin for upgrading?
Totally!

Yup. Used PC ODIN. Downloaded the 600 odd MB file from sam mobile and flashed the tar file using pc odin.

The best part is all my data and apps are intact as if I updated via kies.
Old 6th September 2012, 00:38   #11222
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys,

I have downloaded gmaps offline maps for some areas using its feature "offline maps". Now to use navigation, I need the data connection but then in that case will it again download the map tiles if I am in the same offline map area?
Old 6th September 2012, 10:01   #11223
Senior - BHPian

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/m...bean-upgrades/
Quote:
Motorola aiming to upgrade all possible devices to Jelly Bean, promises to give you $100 credit if it can't

Motorola head Dennis Woodside has pledged that the company will attempt to upgrade all of its new and existing Android handsets to Jelly Bean "very soon." However, for some units, the latest version of Google's mobile OS is going to be too "compromised" to use properly. In that event, it's pledging to give you $100 credit off one of its brand new handsets, which are being unveiled today. It's not given details about how you go about claiming that credit, or when the program begins, but as soon as we're told, we'll let you know.
This is good news for Motorola owners. I guess this means that the Atrix2 & Razr series should get jellybean. The bigger question is when..!?
The $100 credit thing is only for the US market, so don't read much into that, although it shows they are serious.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:32   #11224
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Did you check out the new motorola RAZR range launched yesterday?

http://www.razr.com/

All devices are well speced and well designed. Wish this company was more aggressive in terms of marketing and availability. According to me they are still one of the best hardwares in the market today. Extremely satisfied with Defy + and hoping to get my hands on one of RAZR's sometime next year when i am ready to make the change.

Regards,
Old 6th September 2012, 12:03   #11225
Senior - BHPian

@harshal: Phones look awesome. Hope they come to India in a couple of years.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:07   #11226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N
In a couple of years they will be long obsolete. Hope Motorola launch them NOW, or as soon as they are available elsewhere.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:13   #11227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I had bad times with Navfree. May be its open maps, but it has given me wrong directions and information more than once. Sygic has never let me down till date. For me sygic is much better
I have had pretty bad experience with Sygic as well! It routed me through a rustic non-existent village road in the interiors of Karnataka. Even for a supposedly well mapped out Coorg, it took me from a longer route and wasted a lot of time. On the contrary, there were occasions when it selected very short and relatively unknown route (publicly) on my way from KA to GA. So I've had mixed experiences with Sygic.

I agree Navfree is a bit tricky UI to get used to and being based on open maps, it is bound to be limited in functionality. I have still not used it on a long road trip so can't comment on that aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Totally!

Yup. Used PC ODIN. Downloaded the 600 odd MB file from sam mobile and flashed the tar file using pc odin.

The best part is all my data and apps are intact as if I updated via kies.
600 mb update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/m...bean-upgrades/

This is good news for Motorola owners. I guess this means that the Atrix2 & Razr series should get jellybean. The bigger question is when..!?
The $100 credit thing is only for the US market, so don't read much into that, although it shows they are serious.
By the way, you read this?
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-the-solution/
Old 6th September 2012, 12:30   #11228
Team-BHP Support

I have a Samsung Android 2.3 phone.

In office, I have a wifi connection that needs a VPN connection and a proxy to be set up.
I have done these.

But only Internet Browser, was able to connect to external sites
For Opera: I followed steps given in http://androidproxy.blogspot.com/201...-up-proxy.html

It is now able to connect to internal and external sites.

But how do I set up the proxy for Google Playstore, Gtalk etc?
Old 6th September 2012, 12:31   #11229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yes, I have !

Moto's & their locked bootloaders are a point of discussion everywhere.

Well, I have not rooted my Atrix 2 and actually don't feel the need to. I'm very happy with the phone stock, and i actually like the simplified blur over the touchwiz that my Galaxy Ace had. My only grouse is that I expected ICS earlier, but I guess its around the corner.

I've mentioned this earlier as well, but since there are many people vary about Moto service on the forum i'll say it again. My experience with Moto service here in Pune has been great. My screen was replaced for a 'single' dead pixel. He ordered the part, called me when it arrived, and in 2 hrs everything was done. Very good job as well - no scratches, etc.

With Moto now slowly opening up their bootloaders, maybe things will change. If you are heavily into rooting, I guess one has to take a call...

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 6th September 2012 at 12:32.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:54   #11230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
With Moto now slowly opening up their bootloaders, maybe things will change. If you are heavily into rooting, I guess one has to take a call...
I'd rather prefer the boot-loader to remain locked. At least its an insurance and you can't brick the phone!

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th September 2012 at 15:13. Reason: As per Report Post. Also please do not discuss or encourage pirating apps on Team-BHP.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:55   #11231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
In a couple of years they will be long obsolete. Hope Motorola launch them NOW, or as soon as they are available elsewhere.
The phones are well speced and look amazing too. They go on Sale in US in a weeks time on a 2 year contract with verizon and some reports state that in 2-3 weeks time they will be on Sale in 30 coutries. Hope India finds a spot in that list. I really like motorola devices and wish they are out of the crunch and come back into the game.

Regards,
Old 6th September 2012, 13:09   #11232
BHPian

So, the news is out finally. At least, I've been eagerly looking out for this one. - http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4762292.story

Awaiting a detailed review of each of these. But I heavily doubt these would even land in India until the end of the year. MM did announce that they are pulling the plug on corporate offices in India, but I am still hoping that they continue to bring in these heavy handed razrs to eat the sammys and htcs for lunch! After the HD upgrade, moto is now a worthy competitor since they now sport the same S4 processor under the hood.
Old 6th September 2012, 13:43   #11233
BHPian

@nishantgandhi:

Alright. So you've bought the app. Can you please help us with your app and map version numbers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th September 2012 at 15:14.
Old 6th September 2012, 13:51   #11234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Google brings voice navigation to India:
Its working well with Traffic update and voice assistance.
Attached Images

Old 6th September 2012, 14:03   #11235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Its working well with Traffic update and voice assistance.
Interesting thing is, now ETA also considers traffic. For example, yesterday it showed an ETA of 5 minutes to reach home for me (late night).

Now, it shows ETA of 14 minutes because of heavier traffic on the same roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks